Wireless phones?

Old April 26th 20, 07:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Wireless phones?

On 26/04/2020 1:15 am, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 08:32:40 -0400, Mike Rivers >
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/2020 11:15 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
>>> They are doubtless Bluetooth, and with Bluetooth you get delay.

>> If it's digital, there will be delay. We haven't solved that problem
>> yet. The question is how much, and how does it affect what you want to do.
>>
>> Has anyone here tried playing an instrument (an all electronic one, to
>> be fair to the study) while monitoring through Bluetooth headphones and
>> said "AAAAAAKKKK! I can't play like this!?"
>>
>> Or even better, set up an experiment to actually make a measurement?

> Delay, or more properly latency will always feature in a wireless
> link. Interference has to be overcome with error correction,

No. Plenty of analogue systems around.

Old April 26th 20, 07:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 26/04/2020 12:57 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> geoff > wrote:
>> On 23/04/2020 3:48 am, Michael Beacom wrote:
>>> On 2020-04-19 16:21:15 +0000, Tobiah said:
>>>
>>> This YouTube video talks about this very problem:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJPc0hi0E90
>>>
>>> Swee****er sells the wireless headphone boxes for $230
>>>

>> 5ms may be good enough - best try it out. Quite inexpensive ....
>>
>> Most regular analogue IEM system could do similar, in stereo if desired,
>> without the latency.

> If you're going to put the live feed into the mix, latency on the headphone
> is critical for tracking. 5ms is enough to cause weird comb filtering on
> the vocals in the phones.

How ya going to get 5ms latency ( or 1ms for that matter) in an analogue
wireless link ?

Old April 26th 20, 12:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
>Dunno - have got the M40s. Probably pretty accurate description of the
>M50s though, but by no means is it extreme. M50Xs less scooped.

>But is that the *only* difference with the M40s ? Probably not.

>geoff

____________
Beyond the obvious price difference, the M40x impedance is slightly lower - 35ohms vs the
38 on M50x. So probably easier to drive with the typical smart phone. And slightly narrower
range of fit adjustments, according to reviewers.
Old April 26th 20, 12:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff > wrote:
>On 26/04/2020 12:57 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>> 5ms may be good enough - best try it out. Quite inexpensive ....
>>>
>>> Most regular analogue IEM system could do similar, in stereo if desired,
>>> without the latency.

>> If you're going to put the live feed into the mix, latency on the headphone
>> is critical for tracking. 5ms is enough to cause weird comb filtering on
>> the vocals in the phones.

>How ya going to get 5ms latency ( or 1ms for that matter) in an analogue
>wireless link ?

With analogue links, latency is not an issue, but then you get a whole bunch
of other problems in return.

Whatever happened to those infrared headphone links? I still have one
around somewhere that uses a 1 MHz carrier and an IR LED. Fidelity is
just so-so but would be fine for tracking.

Old April 26th 20, 02:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 4/26/2020 2:31 AM, geoff wrote:
> No. Plenty of analogue systems around.

Have we forgotten how this discussion started? The original poster, for
whatever reason, wanted to be rid of the trailing headphone cable. Hence
the discussion about wireless.

Digital wireless headphone systems are relatively new and have many
advantages over analog systems that are of little or no value to a
single user who just doesn't want to have a cable dangling off his ear.

An old fashioned analog RF system, providing you can find one on a
frequency that hasn't been re-assigned to something that can interfere
with it, will give you near speed-of-light latency. The latency in
digital wireless headphone and microphone systems is all about the
digital part.

Old April 26th 20, 03:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
>35 v. 38 is neither here nor there.

_________
Always a contrary word... You never change, geoff!
Old April 27th 20, 02:42 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 26/04/2020 11:51 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> geoff > wrote:

>>> If you're going to put the live feed into the mix, latency on the headphone
>>> is critical for tracking. 5ms is enough to cause weird comb filtering on
>>> the vocals in the phones.

>> How ya going to get 5ms latency ( or 1ms for that matter) in an analogue
>> wireless link ?

> With analogue links, latency is not an issue, but then you get a whole bunch
> of other problems in return.

But a solution that has worked more than just adequately, for decades.

In-ear phones Tobiah Pro Audio 2 May 5th 16 07:28 PM
in-ear phones henryp Audio Opinions 2 May 2nd 06 03:56 PM
IR wireless h'phones picking up radio station!? andrew_h Tech 0 March 17th 06 12:38 PM
GET FREE CELL PHONES and CAMERA PHONES! [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 12th 06 02:21 AM
Req: Suggestions for Wireless Mic & Wireless In-Ear rack set-up Karsten J. Chikuri Pro Audio 6 September 7th 05 07:54 PM