Jeef

Default AR Turntable - Tone Arm Question

Hi,

This has always been a problem since ~ 1984 when I bought the record
deck. When I first lower the tone arm via cuing lever, the arm lowers
so slowly that even the slightest record warpage causes the tone arm to
skim along the record causing skipping. If I pump the cuing up and down
repeatedly, it then lowers at an appropraite rate to prevent the
skipping. How can I fix this problem.

Jeef
Joe Kesselman

There should be an adjustment somewhere for arm lowering speed. Can't
vouch for where it is on that model, though.
Mark D. Zacharias

"Joe Kesselman" wrote in message
There should be an adjustment somewhere for arm lowering speed. Can't
vouch for where it is on that model, though.

Not familiar with the AR really, but no models I've seen have any adjustment
for cueing speed. I would think the silicon damping fluid might need to be
wetted down a bit. Maybe with a light oil.

Mark Z.

Laurence Payne

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:49:05 GMT, Jeef wrote:

This has always been a problem since ~ 1984 when I bought the record
deck. When I first lower the tone arm via cuing lever, the arm lowers
so slowly that even the slightest record warpage causes the tone arm to
skim along the record causing skipping. If I pump the cuing up and down
repeatedly, it then lowers at an appropraite rate to prevent the
skipping. How can I fix this problem.

Sounds as if the lowering mechanism is fluid damped, and it's got
gunged up, or the fluid is too thick.

Unless you've got nothing better to do with your life, I suggest you
pump the arm up and down a few times at the beginning of each
listening session :-)