Steve Ryan

Default JBL driver repair..

I've recently replaced a power amp the drives my JBL4425's
with somewhat higher power amp.

I'm not sure if it's the change in the amp or not but
one of the drivers had developed a 'squawk' at a certain
frequency.. I first noticed it on a fairly intense soprano
sax solo. It's around 2kHz.

It's possible that It's always been this way and I've never
pushed it much. I was always pretty conservative cause of the
limitations of the previous power amp and not wanting to clip it.

The driver is a 2416H and I can get a replacement diaph for
150$. Is it possible to replace these things yourself or are there
special tools to align it? Is there a change that the current one simply
needs to be re-aligned? It sounds fine accept when driven fairly
loud at that specific frequency... I've reconed several speakers before
and am pretty mechanically adept, but I've never worked on a compression
driver before..

Thanks for any help,
Sryan

ChuxGarage

I've never replaced a diaphragm on that particular JBL driver, but most are
very easy to do. I can't imagine that this is any different. All it takes is
simple hand tools and some patience. Be sure to clean the gap very carefully.

In fact, you might try taking the diaphragm out of the driver, and cleaning the
gap and voice coil. You can inspect it for burn marks, lose windings, etc.
You might find that this fixes your problem. The $150 you save might be your
own.
Kurt Albershardt

Steve Ryan wrote:

The driver is a 2416H and I can get a replacement diaph for
150$. Is it possible to replace these things yourself

Definitely. You can take off the exisiting diaphragm no and have a look--there will most likely be some heat discoloration or rub marks or other visible damage. Be sure to run some packing tape around the gap to pickup any stray metal particles before you reassamble.

rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 3/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 06:54 AM
HHB repair dilemma Garthrr Pro Audio 16 December 8th 03 03:37 PM
FS: MXR NOISE GATE / LINE DRIVER Mark Glinsky Pro Audio 12 October 19th 03 12:02 AM
Any Home diyers looking for a "DREAM" 12" Seas Excel like low distortion/transparency driver with FR-2khz??? Mike Car Audio 0 September 12th 03 08:27 PM