Agent_C

Default Good _Switched_ Power Cord?

Anybody make a high-gage high-quality switched power cord, suitable for
a power amp?

I just got an early model Carver Sunfire Signature, which doesn't
have an ON/OFF switch, or the 'Power Sense' circuit they putting in
current models. If it's plugged-in, it's on, plan and simple. If I
put my ears right up to the tweeters, I can hear the noise floor.

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not in use.

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip. I just need a decent cord
with a switch.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

A_C

Buster Mudd

Agent_C wrote:
Anybody make a high-gage high-quality switched power cord, suitable for
a power amp?

I just got an early model Carver Sunfire Signature, which doesn't
have an ON/OFF switch, or the 'Power Sense' circuit they putting in
current models. If it's plugged-in, it's on, plan and simple. If I
put my ears right up to the tweeters, I can hear the noise floor.

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not in use.

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip. I just need a decent cord
with a switch.

Recommendations?

Middle Atlantic makes one called the RPS15. I think they're $60 or $70
retail.

Scott Dorsey

Agent_C wrote:

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not in use.

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip. I just need a decent cord
with a switch.

Recommendations?

Drill a hole in the side of the Power Wedge. Install a nice big
SPST switch on the incoming power lead.

Kalman Rubinson

1. Not that I know of.

2. Hearing the noise floor with your ear to the tweeter is normal.

3. No significant current is going to your speakers unless the amp
fails.

4. Aren't there any switched outlets on your PowerWedge?

5. Don't get a cheap power strip; get a hefty one.

Kal

On 27 Jun 2005 06:35:31 -0700, "Agent_C"
wrote:

Anybody make a high-gage high-quality switched power cord, suitable for
a power amp?

I just got an early model Carver Sunfire Signature, which doesn't
have an ON/OFF switch, or the 'Power Sense' circuit they putting in
current models. If it's plugged-in, it's on, plan and simple. If I
put my ears right up to the tweeters, I can hear the noise floor.

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not in use.

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip. I just need a decent cord
with a switch.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

A_C

Laurence Payne

wrote:

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip. I just need a decent cord
with a switch.

Why not? A power strip isn't going to negate any cleaning-up done by
the conditioner.

Arny Krueger

Agent_C wrote:

Anybody make a high-gage high-quality switched power cord,

suitable
for a power amp?

Lots of people. There's no magic in power cords, just
overblow prices for the emperor's new power cord.

I just got an early model Carver Sunfire Signature, which

doesn't
have an ON/OFF switch, or the 'Power Sense' circuit they

putting in
current models. If it's plugged-in, it's on, plan and

simple. If I
put my ears right up to the tweeters, I can hear the noise

floor.

So your query is based on a desire to save power?

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not

in use.

Thaof course, this is a power amp and they all make a little
residual noise.

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner

and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip.

I was just reading up about this product and found this
review:

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/powerwedge.htm

"Listening to Aaron Copland's An Outdoor Overture (Reference
Recordings), I immediately noticed that the high massed
strings sounded a bit muted and macro dynamics suffered in
relation to the unconditioned amplifier. The
usually-powerful timpani whacks and brass blasts on this
recording lost some of their impact. I listened further to
see if these impressions were consistent across recordings
and indeed they were. The usual impact and gut-wrenching
intensity of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 8 (Teldec) was
missing in action. This was definitely not the eighth
symphony that I knew and loved."
I'm trying to figure out whether this is the usual
sighted-listening test heavy breathing so common in the high
end press, or a report of an actual audible fault due the
use of a line conditioner that ran out of power, and
actually caused the power amp to distort at a lower level.

Long story short, is this power conditioner creating trouble
where there was none, or is it being falsly indicted by
someone who is prejudiced against it?

I just need a decent cord with a switch.

Check out your hardware store.

Recommendations?

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace...

Pooh Bear

Buster Mudd wrote:

Middle Atlantic makes one called the RPS15. I think they're $60 or $70
retail.

Hilarious ! There's no end to this upgrade **** is there ?

Graham

Pooh Bear

Agent_C wrote:

Anybody make a high-gage high-quality switched power cord, suitable for
a power amp?

I just got an early model Carver Sunfire Signature, which doesn't
have an ON/OFF switch, or the 'Power Sense' circuit they putting in
current models. If it's plugged-in, it's on, plan and simple. If I
put my ears right up to the tweeters, I can hear the noise floor.

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not in use.

I'd be more concerned about the amplifier being continually on. It sure
won't bother the speakers. Some components in the amp do have lifetime
issues long term ( primarily PSU caps ). And this is an *old* amplifier
already.

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip.

Why ? What's a plain vanilla power strip going to upset ? If the power's
already filtered, just add the strip after the conditioner. You don't have
to 'double condition' it you know.

I just need a decent cord with a switch.

I've never seen such a thing.

Graham

Joe Sensor

Pooh Bear wrote:

I just need a decent cord with a switch.

I've never seen such a thing.

Ever been to a hardware store? You can get an inline switch that tacs
onto a power cord for about a buck and a half.
Pooh Bear

Joe Sensor wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:

I just need a decent cord with a switch.

I've never seen such a thing.

Ever been to a hardware store? You can get an inline switch that tacs
onto a power cord for about a buck and a half.

Not in the UK you can't ! Can't imagine who'd need one - except for stuff
without a power switch which is kind of unknown here.

Oh - hang on - you mean you wire it inline *yourself* ? I hope it carries
the ground through. We used to have what were called torpedo switches you
could wire into fig-8 cable ( the stuff you call zip cord ? ) but I think
they were withdrawn for safety reasons decades back.

In the OP's case I'd suggest he follow your advice though. Unless they
don't have grounds.

Graham

Buster Mudd

Pooh Bear wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

Middle Atlantic makes one called the RPS15. I think they're $60 or $70
retail.

Hilarious ! There's no end to this upgrade **** is there ?

I don't think Middle Atlantic is even pretending this is an "upgrade";
they're certainly not marketing it as if it will offer any performance
improvements. It's just a convenience ...a really ****ing overpriced
convenience.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/power/PowerRPS.htm

Richard Crowley

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
Agent_C wrote:

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not in use.

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip. I just need a decent cord
with a switch.

Recommendations?

Drill a hole in the side of the Power Wedge. Install a nice big
SPST switch on the incoming power lead.

But how long must he burn-in the switch before it will pass
power of sufficient quality for his power amp? And where
can he find a genuine golden-ears, tweako power switch?
Can't use just any old ordinary power switch.
Joe Sensor

Pooh Bear wrote:

In the OP's case I'd suggest he follow your advice though. Unless they
don't have grounds.

I actually went to buy one for my daughters lamp, but I was looking for
one wired on a cord, they used to have em' at the five and dime. So then
I was all set to buy one of the torpedo switches and make my own, but
ended up spending 20 bucks for a remote control switch. It is a regular
(wall type) light switch in a box that you can mount anywhere. Uses a 9
volt battery. Then a receiver that plugs in the wall socket and you just
plug into that. I think it is 600 watts maximum but that should be
plenty. Like I said, only cost 20 bucks. Of course, it was made in China.
Agent_C

On 27 Jun 2005 07:06:43 -0700, "Buster Mudd"
wrote:

Middle Atlantic makes one called the RPS15. I think they're $60 or $70
retail.

Thanks, this is exactly what I need.

.... and at $92.00 a screaming bargain!

A_C

Pooh Bear

Buster Mudd wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

Middle Atlantic makes one called the RPS15. I think they're $60 or $70
retail.

Hilarious ! There's no end to this upgrade **** is there ?

I don't think Middle Atlantic is even pretending this is an "upgrade";
they're certainly not marketing it as if it will offer any performance
improvements. It's just a convenience ...a really ****ing overpriced
convenience.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/power/PowerRPS.htm

I see what you mean ! Convenient for sure but total overkill if you don't need
'remote control'.

Wouldn't a switched outlet strip be far simpler ?

Graham

Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
Agent_C wrote:

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not in use.

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip. I just need a decent cord
with a switch.

Recommendations?

Drill a hole in the side of the Power Wedge. Install a nice big
SPST switch on the incoming power lead.

But how long must he burn-in the switch before it will pass
power of sufficient quality for his power amp? And where
can he find a genuine golden-ears, tweako power switch?
Can't use just any old ordinary power switch.

Nooo ? I was about to say like the one in the wall socket - but not sure if
you guys have switched outlets over there.

Graham

Geoff Wood

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody make a high-gage high-quality switched power cord, suitable for
a power amp?

I just got an early model Carver Sunfire Signature, which doesn't
have an ON/OFF switch, or the 'Power Sense' circuit they putting in
current models. If it's plugged-in, it's on, plan and simple. If I
put my ears right up to the tweeters, I can hear the noise floor.

I don't like current going to my speakers when they're not in use.

The current going to your speakers (ie hiss) when there is no music is
totally insignificant. If, for some reason, this matters to you, get a
line-cord switch and stick it in your power cable.

Also there should be no problem with an inexpensive switch distrib board, as
long as it's not total junk. Power-conditioner or whatever.

geoff

Geoff Wood

wrote:

Middle Atlantic makes one called the RPS15. I think they're $60 or $70
retail.

Thanks, this is exactly what I need.

... and at $92.00 a screaming bargain!

Should cost $5, $10 max. But at that price it couldn't possibly 'sound
good', eh ...

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

Drill a hole in the side of the Power Wedge. Install a nice big SPST
switch on the incoming power lead.

But how long must he burn-in the switch before it will pass
power of sufficient quality for his power amp? And where
can he find a genuine golden-ears, tweako power switch?
Can't use just any old ordinary power switch.

And where to get a switch with the correct direactionality markings...

geoff

Agent 86

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:47:51 -0400, Agent_C wrote:

Middle Atlantic makes one called the RPS15. I think they're $60 or $70
retail.

Thanks, this is exactly what I need.

... and at $92.00 a screaming bargain!

A fool & his money?

What the hell, want to buy a slightly used waterbed? Cheap?
Richard Crowley

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
I don't even have any lamps that I paid $20 for. I'm sure not going to
pay $20 for a switch.

You and me both. But we are old fogies who don't appreciate
"modern technology". :-)

Richard Crowley

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
Wouldn't a switched outlet strip be far simpler ?

The OP rejected that option as it would "contaminate" the pure
power coming out of his golden-ears power filter.
Agent_C

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:41:46 GMT, Agent 86
wrote:

A fool & his money?

What the hell, want to buy a slightly used waterbed? Cheap?

Neither you or Wood apparently have any sense of humor at all...

A_C

Agent_C

Joe Sensor wrote:

Ever been to a hardware store? You can get an inline switch that tacs
onto a power cord for about a buck and a half.

Ever engage your brain before opening your mouth?

I'm not going to power a 1200 watt / 10 amp / $3000 audio component off
of zip cord and a contact switch.

A_C

Don Pearce

On 28 Jun 2005 07:20:08 -0700, "Agent_C"
wrote:

Joe Sensor wrote:

Ever been to a hardware store? You can get an inline switch that tacs
onto a power cord for about a buck and a half.

Ever engage your brain before opening your mouth?

I'm not going to power a 1200 watt / 10 amp / $3000 audio component off
of zip cord and a contact switch.

A_C

Why not?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Joe Sensor

http://www.brokeninside.com/omfg/stfu/pics/76.jpg

I'm not going to power a 1200 watt / 10 amp / $3000 audio component off
of zip cord and a contact switch.

Yeah, ok, whatever.
Arny Krueger

wrote:

Joe Sensor wrote:

Ever been to a hardware store? You can get an inline

switch that
tacs onto a power cord for about a buck and a half.

Ever engage your brain before opening your mouth?

I'm not going to power a 1200 watt / 10 amp / $3000 audio

component
off of zip cord and a contact switch.

A_C

Why not?

Good question. 12 gauge zip cord is still zip cord, while
your typical in-line AC power switch is rated at 15 amps.

Myself, I'd use 14 gauge SOJ and just run the green wire
straight past the switch contact.

http://doityourself.com/store/u244392.htm

Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
Wouldn't a switched outlet strip be far simpler ?

The OP rejected that option as it would "contaminate" the pure
power coming out of his golden-ears power filter.

Yabbbut !

The suggested remote control switch doesn't use golden ears cable ( or
switch even ) so it can't be any good ! Tssk..... and the on-off knob
isn't made of sound-deadening material either !

Graham

Joe Sensor

Agent_C wrote:

Ever engage your brain before opening your mouth?

Oh, you are the op.

Who said:

I'm already using an expensive PowerWedge line conditioner and I'm
not going to introduce a cheap power strip.

What exactly is wrong with a "cheap power strip"?

Agent_C

Joe Sensor wrote:

What exactly is wrong with a "cheap power strip"?

I just want a passive switch; nothing more. I'm uncertain how the fuse
and surge protection circuitry in a 'cheap power strip', or even an
expensive one, would interact with the PowerWedge.

A_C

Kalman Rubinson

On 28 Jun 2005 10:46:22 -0700, "Agent_C"
wrote:

Joe Sensor wrote:

What exactly is wrong with a "cheap power strip"?

I just want a passive switch; nothing more. I'm uncertain how the fuse
and surge protection circuitry in a 'cheap power strip', or even an
expensive one, would interact with the PowerWedge.

Get a power strip without fuse or surge protection circuitry.

Kal
Arny Krueger

Agent_C wrote:
Joe Sensor wrote:

What exactly is wrong with a "cheap power strip"?

I just want a passive switch; nothing more. I'm uncertain

how the fuse
and surge protection circuitry in a 'cheap power strip',

or even an
expensive one, would interact with the PowerWedge.

There's usually no fuse, but there usually is a circuit
breaker. It won't cause problems. It's bascially as passive
as the switch.

Just say no to power strips with surge protection built in.

Pooh Bear

Agent_C wrote:

Joe Sensor wrote:

What exactly is wrong with a "cheap power strip"?

I just want a passive switch; nothing more.

That's *exactly * what a 'cheap' power strip offers !

I'm uncertain how the fuse
and surge protection circuitry in a 'cheap power strip', or even an
expensive one, would interact with the PowerWedge.

There is *no* 'interaction'. Nil. None whatever ! Do *not* believe the
crap that ppl who want you to spend phenomenal sums of money on *their*
'Holy Grail' goods tell you ! They're in this purely to con you out of
your hard earned money. I speak as an audio pro with decades of experience
who laughs at these loonies whose selling tactics owe more to the 19th
century than to science !

Ppl like me actually *make* the recordings you listen to. Anyone
attempting to use 'audiophool' tactics in this environment would be
declared insane.

For Chrissake - you simply want to turn something on or off. Do you need a
license from the audio God to do that ?

Graham

Geoff Wood

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Joe Sensor wrote:

Ever been to a hardware store? You can get an inline switch that tacs
onto a power cord for about a buck and a half.

Ever engage your brain before opening your mouth?

I'm not going to power a 1200 watt / 10 amp / $3000 audio component off
of zip cord and a contact switch.

Probably not. But only becasue the price isn't enough.

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Joe Sensor wrote:

What exactly is wrong with a "cheap power strip"?

I just want a passive switch; nothing more. I'm uncertain how the fuse
and surge protection circuitry in a 'cheap power strip', or even an
expensive one, would interact with the PowerWedge.

Cheap power strips don't have 'surge protection'. They usually have a small
circuit-breaker. Neither of these items would interact in the slightest
with your power conditioner anyway. In fact, you should try your system
without tyhe power conditioner to see what improvements it's ommision might
make ( unless your mains is REALLY dirty).

geoff.

Geoff Wood

wrote:

A fool & his money?

What the hell, want to buy a slightly used waterbed? Cheap?

Neither you or Wood apparently have any sense of humor at all...

Are you suggesting this thread was a big troll ?!!!

geoff

Steve Urbach

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:06:36 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
wrote:

Cheap power strips don't have 'surge protection'. They usually have a small
circuit-breaker. Neither of these items would interact in the slightest
with your power conditioner anyway. In fact, you should try your system
without tyhe power conditioner to see what improvements it's ommision might
make ( unless your mains is REALLY dirty).

geoff.

They also have cheap cr*p rocker power switches.
Go to Home Depot (or hardware store): But a light SP switch/outlet on
a single frame, A junction box (cast outdoor type if looks are
important, and a plate, strain relief (connector) and a 3 prong power
cord (for a disposal or power tool).
Wire the white (blue) wire to the silver terminal, Green wire to the
Green screw and the Black (brown) wire to the (normal) LOAD side of
the switch. DO NOT brek the strap on the LINE side.
Wallah, one HEAVY DUTY switched outlet on a cord.

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped?
http://www.grid.org
Agent_C

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:13:47 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
wrote:

Are you suggesting this thread was a big troll ?!!!

Now you sound downright stupid.

A_C