Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.marketplace , on Sat, 5 Mar
2005 13:28:27 -0500, "TimPerry" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Here is a cool device from Rane:
http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

make sure to download the PDFs.

Peter

but this is a harmless (and hilarious) spoof. not true snake oil at all

I dunno about that, it looks like a blatant ripoff of the origial
Funk Logic equipment. I think there could be a lawsuit here. Check out
Mr. Logic's products on his webpage:

http://www.funklogic.com

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.marketplace , on Fri, 04 Mar
2005 10:27:15 -0500, Bill Van Dyk
wrote:

There was a guy who wanted to spend $350 billion dollars getting rid of
WMD's somewhere. I heard he did very well. Lately, he's offering to
improve everyone's pension plans!

I recall his contribution to the field of audio. It was the words
"Can you hear me now?"

Jerry G. wrote:
A number of years ago, I have seen something called a "CD Demagnetizer".
Yet, there is nothing magnetic about an optical CD. The seller of this,
really did some fancy explanations about this one.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
TimPerry

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
In rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.marketplace , on Sat, 5 Mar
2005 13:28:27 -0500, "TimPerry" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Here is a cool device from Rane:
http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

make sure to download the PDFs.

Peter

but this is a harmless (and hilarious) spoof. not true snake oil at all

I dunno about that, it looks like a blatant ripoff of the origial
Funk Logic equipment. I think there could be a lawsuit here. Check out
Mr. Logic's products on his webpage:

http://www.funklogic.com

like the Motorola "pushie talkie" (a mobile 2-way mounted to a hand truck
with auto batteries) its a lampoon intended as humor not an attempt to
defraud anyone.

heres a jar with a ball in it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5793477 &rd=1
is it worth $65,000 ?

Rich.Andrews

"scott" wrote in :

One of my personal favorites...oh yeah....these look like a good
investment...not!

Tekna Sonic C-5 BookShelf Speaker Enhancer - Pair $79.95

Even the finest speakers have cabinet vibrations that make bass notes
muddy or boomy, and distort the midrange. Now Tekna Sonic offers a
simple solution guaranteed to improve bass and midrange clarity. C-5
vibration absorbers feature an array of polymer damping plates -
selectively tuned to frequencies in the 20-1kHz range - which attach
magnetically to the back of the speaker cabinet.

This begs the qustion of how one magnetically attaches anything to a wood
cabinet.

"Dave Kowalski" wrote in message
How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------
I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Mine comes from Lyric HiFi here in New York, when they tried to sell
me little coin size metallic stickers. At $250.00 each, they
supposedly improved the sound by "dampening the field-effect
resonance" on your individual components. What??? I could hardly
contain my laughter!

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he
had a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so
precise, that one could actually distinguish between two identically
titled CD's - by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the
disk.

I'm not even going to start sharing what salesmen have said while
trying to sell me cables...

A_C

Arny Krueger

"play on" wrote in message

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:44:27 -0500, Boris Mohar
wrote:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...=280&sku=AELEV

Nice... I especially like the cable elevators, quite reasonable at
$159.

The cheapskate alternative is telephone line insulators. I've seen and uhhh,
"heard" them in *action* ;-)

Engineer

"scott" wrote in message
One of my personal favorites...oh yeah....these look like a good
investment...not!

Tekna Sonic C-5 BookShelf Speaker Enhancer - Pair $79.95

Even the finest speakers have cabinet vibrations that make bass
notes muddy
or boomy, and distort the midrange. Now Tekna Sonic offers a simple
solution
guaranteed to improve bass and midrange clarity. C-5 vibration
absorbers
feature an array of polymer damping plates - selectively tuned to
frequencies in the 20-1kHz range - which attach magnetically to the
back of
the speaker cabinet.

Hmm... I've never heard of these things but large enough lead weights
screwed onto the mid-point of front, top and sides of cheap speakers
would definitely lower the fundamental "oil can" mode of cabinet
vibration. Of course, they would look awful... g
Solution: brace inside properly.
Cheers,
Roger

Kai Howells

On 2005-03-04 11:13:55 +1100, Mike Diack said:

And the winner is.....
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me.../merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=V OLUME&Product_Count=2

Yep, if you will spend nearly $500 on one of these, you're a stirling,
rockheaded knob... hence the product's name...

Kai Howells

C'mon man, what are you doing? There's no snake-oil whatsoever in
anything you've just written!

On 2005-03-05 12:02:22 +1100, said:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/ele...of_50_ohms.htm

There are probably lots of stories about how 50 Ohms came to be. The
one I am most familiar goes like this. In the early days of microwaves
- around World War II, impedances were chosen depending on the
application. For maximum power handling, somewhere between 30 and 44
Ohms was used. On the other hand, lowest attenuation for an air filled
line was around 93 Ohms. In those days, there were no flexible cables,
at least for higher frequencies, only rigid tubes with air dielectric.
Semi-rigid cable came about in the early 50's, while real microwave
flex cable was approximately 10 years later.

Somewhere along the way it was decided to standardize on a given
impedance so that economy and convenience could be brought into the
equation. In the US, 50 Ohms was chosen as a compromise. There was a
group known as JAN, which stood for Joint Army and Navy who took on
these matters. They later became DESC, for Defense Electronic Supply
Center, where the MIL specs evolved. Europe chose 60 Ohms. In reality,
in the US, since most of the "tubes" were actually existing materials
consisting of standard rods and water pipes, 51.5 Ohms was quite
common. It was amazing to see and use adapter/converters to go from 50
to 51.5 Ohms. Eventually, 50 won out, and special tubing was created
(or maybe the plumbers allowed their pipes to change dimension
slightly).

Further along, the Europeans were forced to change because of the
influence of companies such as Hewlett-Packard which dominated the
world scene. 75 Ohms is the telecommunications standard, because in a
dielectric filled line, somewhere around 77 Ohms gives the lowest loss.
(Cable TV) 93 Ohms is still used for short runs such as the connection
between computers and their monitors because of low capacitance per
foot which would reduce the loading on circuits and allow longer cable
runs.

Volume 9 of the MIT Rad Lab Series has some greater details of this for
those interested. It has been reprinted by Artech House and is
available.

TimPerry

On 2005-03-05 12:02:22 +1100, said:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/ele...of_50_ohms.htm

There are probably lots of stories about how 50 Ohms came to be.

A group of maybe half a hundred engineers were trying to decide on a
standard.

They were all looking at the same data but arriving at different results.

Finally one Englishman referring to the famous detective said:

What we need is 50 Holmes

Barry Mann

In , on 03/05/05
at 09:33 PM, Steven Sullivan said:

lordy, it never ends..

http://www.soundstage.com/weaver04.htm

(I've read tthat the green pen tweaks started as an online hoax....
taken as truth by some gullible audiophile...and the rest is history.
I haven't been able to trace the story back
far enough to verify that)

Yes, I was there (on Compuserve). I wouldn't call it a hoax, just a
joke. We were having some fun. I keep thinking that I can locate the
thread on some old 8" floppies, but I never seem to find the time to go
through them. As I recall, we cooked up the claims one December and
products started arriving on the market in January.

What a classic! It had a simple story that was just complex enough that
it seemed plausable. When green magic marker types came around, they
didn't want to listen to any explainations of why the concept was
silly. If you couldn't hear the improvement .. er... well you were deaf
and stupid. I even pointed out that, in order to interact with that
green coating, the light must first leave the disk ... do you think the
light is ever comming back? At that point they usually left because
they couldn't stand my stupidity any longer.

----

Another of my favorites was a cryogenic process that claims to improve
the sound of CD's. You were supposed to send your CD's, they'd be
frozen in liquid nitrogen for a while, and you'd notice an improvement
in the sound. I asked them if they could show me some error flag data,
but of course they could not.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)