Bob Ward

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:36:24 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
wrote:

Bob Ward wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:35:00 -0500, Alex Rodriguez

says...

Don't buy an iPod, Alex - obviously you are too ****ing stupid to be
able to use it anyway.. Of course, in that case, you'd never know
whether the battery needs replacing in any event.

I don't need an idiots advice to tell me not to buy an ipod. As stupid
as you imagine me to be, I'm smart to know better than to buy a device that
costs more than comparable devices and then expects me to toss it or pay an
outrageous amount of money to swap out a battery.
--------------
Alex

The fact that it costs more would not be the determining factor in my
decision. The manufacturer's expectations regarding obsolescence or
battery replacement would not be a deterrant either. The iPod has a
pretty good reputation for being a clean, simple, elegant, and
easy-to-use device, and if I were in the market for that type of
device, I would probably give it serious consideration.

Wow, what an ass. You are calling Alex stupid which I know to be
totally untrue from several years in severeal different Usenet
groups, yet you are not savvy enough yourself to provide proof to
your point without the use of foul language and personal attacks. It
severely lessens your credibility.

I'm not calling Alex stupid for what he may or may not have posted in
the past in other grooups - I'm calling him stupid for what he posted
recently in this newsgroup. You have no credibility here, so your
post is taken for what it's worth... damned little.
Briantelope

I overheard Bob Ward saying:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:36:24 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
wrote:

Bob Ward wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:35:00 -0500, Alex Rodriguez adr5@columbia.
edu wrote:
In article , bobward@
email.com says...
[...]

I'll butt in and say all you guys need to chill out. It's really a
silly argument. You have different opinions--which is allowed. Move on

Brian (the peacemaker)

--
I'm crazy!?
www.iBrian.tk
| .\ @ /. | thats one sick bus!
| o \ / o |
Email me at: Brian1 at unc dot edu
http://db.etree.org/briantelope
No SPAM Sam

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article 1g7gh28.fnrkc21dsen00N%nospamsam.3.gkar@spamgourm et.com,
says...

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article ,

says...

The fact that it costs more would not be the determining factor in my
decision. The manufacturer's expectations regarding obsolescence or
battery replacement would not be a deterrant either. The iPod has a
pretty good reputation for being a clean, simple, elegant, and
easy-to-use device, and if I were in the market for that type of
device, I would probably give it serious consideration.

If I had money to throw away, then I too would give it consideration.
But since I do car about cost, I eliminate the models that don't give
me value for my money.

Well Alex, you are going to look like a stupid ass idiot with a 5 year
old Dell desktop strapped to your back. But hey, you sure won't have to
worry about the battery going bad. If you like, I'll send you my white
earbuds. That way from far away you'll look cool.

Huh? Where did this 5 year old dell come from? You obviously haven't
done your homework. Otherwise you would know that there are other
players besides the ipod and the 5 year old dell. Maybe that is why
you are stuck with the ipod???? Shop around a bit and you will find
many players besides the ones you are aware of. I'll pass on the ear
buds. I prefer good sound to what others think looks cool.
-------------

I got the 5 year old Dell because from your posts I figure you are
either so frugal or so dense that you would think it a good idea. But
hey, maybe you think the Dell Jukebox is a good deal. Maybe it is, but
don't count on transferring music often - in testing we generally crash
the software or the Jukebox when doing large transfers.

Now excuse me while you become just the third person in 5 years to make
my usenet news plonk list. Congratulations, you have gone where even
Phaedrus did - at least he was amazing and moderately intelligent. You
are apparently neither.
WindsorFox[SS]

Bob Ward wrote:

Wow, what an ass. You are calling Alex stupid which I know to be
totally untrue from several years in severeal different Usenet
groups, yet you are not savvy enough yourself to provide proof to
your point without the use of foul language and personal attacks. It
severely lessens your credibility.

I'm not calling Alex stupid for what he may or may not have posted in
the past in other grooups - I'm calling him stupid for what he posted
recently in this newsgroup. You have no credibility here, so your
post is taken for what it's worth... damned little.

It does not matter why you use foul language or call someone stupid,
the fact that you have resorted to personal attacks says that you are
unable to back up your point or opinion. This includes your opinion
on my credibility. Perhapse you should get together with Brian McCarty...

--
Check out the gaming & computer forums at the [SS] clan site.
http://www.shamikaserver.com

TomH

"No SPAM Sam" wrote in message
news:1g7io37.41z141wo948aN%nospamsam.3.gkar@spamgo urmet.com...
Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article 1g7gh28.fnrkc21dsen00N%nospamsam.3.gkar@spamgourm et.com,
says...

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article ,

says...

[...]

Whoa! Alex makes a statement that he wouldn't buy an iPod because
you have to send it in to change the battery and you and Bob go ballistic.
There is some stupidity here and it's not Alex.

-Tom

Peter KERR

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/a...472745,00.html

Hehe, a techy page for Mac geeks,

needs Windows Media Player 8-()
R. Tang

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article 1g7gh28.fnrkc21dsen00N%nospamsam.3.gkar@spamgourm et.com,
says...

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article ,

says...

[...]

Given that some folks are showing that changing the battery is a
5-15 minute job by the user, I can hazard a guess where it's at.

Apple charging for a battery replacement operation is not
particularly noteworthy; it's on the level of their charging more for
additional memory. If you're not comfortable changing the battery or
adding memory yourself, then Apple is happy to do it for you...for a
charge.
--
-
-Roger Tang,
Alex Rodriguez

"No SPAM Sam" wrote in message
news:1g7io37.41z141wo948aN%nospamsam.3.gkar@spamg ourmet.com...

I got the 5 year old Dell because from your posts I figure you are
either so frugal or so dense that you would think it a good idea.

Actually, for the times that I do listen to mp3's, a 5 year old dell
would work. I keep some back ground music on while I work and my work
computer, which is a Dell, but not 5 years old, works just fine. Every
where else I listen to music mp3's won't do since I can hear the difference
in sound quality.

But
hey, maybe you think the Dell Jukebox is a good deal. Maybe it is, but
don't count on transferring music often - in testing we generally crash
the software or the Jukebox when doing large transfers.

I never suggested the Dell. I've never used it, so I can't say if it
is any good or not. There are other players besides the ipod and the
del unit.

Now excuse me while you become just the third person in 5 years to make
my usenet news plonk list. Congratulations, you have gone where even
Phaedrus did - at least he was amazing and moderately intelligent. You
are apparently neither.

Doesn't bother me none.
----------
Alex

R. Tang

In article , David C. wrote:
(R. Tang) writes:

Good point, though I'd like to see just how hard the battery
replacement is; if it's just a 15 minute job, then I'd be less
concerned...

Looks pretty simple to me. See one of the following (depending on
which model you have):

For the older models:
http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodinstall.htm

For the newer models (with the dock):
http://www.ipodbattery.com/slimipodinstall.htm

-- David

Cool beans, and good stuff to know. Sorta puts it into the area of
oil changes and whatnot; you can pay the dealer or you can save money by
doing it yourself....
--
-
-Roger Tang, , Artistic Director PC Theatre
- Editor, Asian American Theatre Revue [NEW URL][Yes, it IS new]
-
http://www.aatrevue.com

ClownKiller

"TomH" wrote:

Whoa! Alex makes a statement that he wouldn't buy an iPod because
you have to send it in to change the battery and you and Bob go ballistic.
There is some stupidity here and it's not Alex.

Perhaps that's because Alex's statement is incorrect, as the batteries
are replaceable by the user (and do not necessarily need to be sent in
for this). This has been made amply clear on this thread over the last
week.
TomH

"ClownKiller" wrote in message
"TomH" wrote:

Whoa! Alex makes a statement that he wouldn't buy an iPod because
you have to send it in to change the battery and you and Bob go

ballistic.
There is some stupidity here and it's not Alex.

Perhaps that's because Alex's statement is incorrect, as the batteries
are replaceable by the user (and do not necessarily need to be sent in
for this). This has been made amply clear on this thread over the last
week.

They're replaceable by savvy users, but this is not recommended by Apple
and was not designed for it. Apple designed it to not be replaced by
the consumer, and expected that these batteries would last several
years. Replacing the batteries for some people is no problem,
but the fact is it's at least a hassle for some and an extra cost for most.
Not everybody would be comfortable in taking their iPOD apart to
replace a battery. Certainly it's another thing to consider when
purchasing the item.

-Tom