Robert Morein

Default Jupiter Audio speakers, dangerous?

I've heard that Jupiter Audio speakers have been known to catch fire, and
some people may have died.

Does anyone know how frequent this is, and how many people were injured?

Lionel

Robert Morein wrote:

I've heard that Jupiter Audio speakers have been known to catch fire, and
some people may have died.

Does anyone know how frequent this is, and how many people were injured?

No the FBI is still investigating...

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
I've heard that Jupiter Audio speakers have been known to catch fire, and
some people may have died.

Does anyone know how frequent this is, and how many people were injured?

All that did is make you look really, really stupid.

Lionel

Sockpuppet Yustabe wrote:
"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
I've heard that Jupiter Audio speakers have been known to catch fire, and
some people may have died.

Does anyone know how frequent this is, and how many people were injured?

All that did is make you look really, really stupid.

Good morning Madame Pipi.

William Sommerwerck

Early this year I was approached by a lawyer who wanted me to be the "outside
expert" in a case involving a speaker in a warehouse that appeared to have
caught fire and caused extensive damage.

A speaker cannot, in and of itself, "catch fire." It would have to be overdriven
for an extended period of time, such that the voicecoil overheated and set
something nearby on fire.

This is _almost_ impossible. For a particular brand of speaker to consistently
ignite, it would have to be badly designed (eg, use a flammable former for the
voice coil), and be owned by idiots who consistently overdrove it.

Rich Andrews

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

Early this year I was approached by a lawyer who wanted me to be the

"outside
expert" in a case involving a speaker in a warehouse that appeared to

have
caught fire and caused extensive damage.

A speaker cannot, in and of itself, "catch fire." It would have to be

overdriven
for an extended period of time, such that the voicecoil overheated and

set
something nearby on fire.

This is _almost_ impossible. For a particular brand of speaker to

consistently
ignite, it would have to be badly designed (eg, use a flammable former

for the
voice coil), and be owned by idiots who consistently overdrove it.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99001.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Originally issued October 1, 1998
Last revised February 4, 2003
Release # 99-001 Company Phone Number: (800) 531-0039
CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: Kim Dulic, (301) 504-7058
Philips Contact: Jill Greenman, (770) 821-2400
CPSC, Philips Consumer Electronics Company Announce Recall to Repair
Philips Magnavox Home Audio Theatre Systems
WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commission (CPSC), Philips Consumer Electronics Company, of Atlanta, Ga.,
is recalling 25,500 Philips Magnavox home audio theatre systems for free
repair. The system's speaker voice coil can overheat and lead to a speaker
fire, presenting a fire hazard to consumers. Philips has received four
reports of speaker fires, with one resulting in scorched carpeting. No
injuries have been reported.

Only Model MX920 Philips Magnavox home audio theatre systems are being
recalled. The model number is prominently displayed on both the front of
the receiver cabinet and on a rear label in the upper left corner when
looking at the back of the receiver. The MX920 system includes a surround
sound stereo receiver, a subwoofer, a center channel speaker, two
surround-sound speakers and two front (left/right) loudspeakers.

Major national superstores and departmentstores, such as Best Buy, Kmart,
Lowes, Montgomery Ward, Service Merchandise and Walmart, sold the Model
MX920 systems nationwide from June of 1997 through August 1998 for about
$350.

Consumers should stop using the systems immediately and call Philips toll-
free at (800) 531-0039 between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. EDT Monday through
Saturday for instructions on receiving the free repair. Consumers also may
write the company at Philips Consumer Electronics Company, Old Andrew
Johnson Highway, P.O. Box 555, Jefferson City, TN 37760.

Lionel

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Early this year I was approached by a lawyer who wanted me to be the "outside
expert" in a case involving a speaker in a warehouse that appeared to have
caught fire and caused extensive damage.

A speaker cannot, in and of itself, "catch fire." It would have to be overdriven
for an extended period of time, such that the voicecoil overheated and set
something nearby on fire.

This is _almost_ impossible. For a particular brand of speaker to consistently
ignite, it would have to be badly designed (eg, use a flammable former for the
voice coil), and be owned by idiots who consistently overdrove it.

*Nothing* is "_almost_ impossible" for Gregory Singh.
If you keep on discussing here, soon or late you will learn this. ;o)

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Early this year I was approached by a lawyer who wanted me to be the
"outside expert" in a case involving a speaker in a warehouse that
appeared to have caught fire and caused extensive damage.

A speaker cannot, in and of itself, "catch fire." It would have to be
overdriven for an extended period of time, such that the voicecoil
overheated and set something nearby on fire.

This is _almost_ impossible.

http://www.pocketschwa.com/media.htm

"PA speaker caught fire while Colin sat in with Headmonkey"

http://216.151.95.151/~trout/archive...3/msg00195.php

"Congo, period. does anybody else remember when the right speaker caught
fire?"

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques/An...on-3923439.htm

"The white one was going bit the speaker caught fire while i was grinding
near bye!!!. The dark one the caseing is damaged. suit parts,"

http://www.rhino.com/features/liners/78187lin.html

"A speaker caught fire playing that song, and that was a good sign. I'd
never seen a speaker catch fire, so I must have been driving it pretty
hard."

http://www.vh1online.com/artists/new...earl_jam.jhtml.

"The surf-punk-flavored Texas band Enduro had opened the show, followed by
Olympia pop-punks the Bangs, whose set ended when a speaker caught fire. "

dave weil

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:39:51 -0400, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

[...]

What part of _almost_ did you not understand?

Arny Krueger

"dave weil" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't understand the part where the word *almost* has a formal, explicit
meaning.

BTW, where in this post did I say anything at all, one way or the other,
about relevance of the evidence I presented to the word *almost*?

I didn't.

Weil loses because he stuck his big trolling-pole nose in where it doesn't
belong.

Again.

Dogma4e

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:24:39 +0200, Lionel
wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Early this year I was approached by a lawyer who wanted me to be the "outside
expert" in a case involving a speaker in a warehouse that appeared to have
caught fire and caused extensive damage.

A speaker cannot, in and of itself, "catch fire." It would have to be overdriven
for an extended period of time, such that the voicecoil overheated and set
something nearby on fire.

This is _almost_ impossible. For a particular brand of speaker to consistently
ignite, it would have to be badly designed (eg, use a flammable former for the
voice coil), and be owned by idiots who consistently overdrove it.

*Nothing* is "_almost_ impossible" for Gregory Singh.

Particularly true, given the flammability of spray glue on loosely
packed fiber! You never know though. There may be a class of
purchaser out there that would love to have their speakers catch on
fire, ala Hendrix or Jerry Lee Lewis.

Rich Andrews

dave weil wrote in
:

[...]

I think he was agreeing with the poster as something that is not quite an
impossibility makes it a definite probability. This is not to be confused
with the infinite improbability drive which, of course, is well
understood. (:)

dave weil

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:59:47 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

What part of _almost_ did you not understand?

I didn't understand the part where the word *almost* has a formal, explicit
meaning.

Thank you for this bit of candor.

BTW, where in this post did I say anything at all, one way or the other,
about relevance of the evidence I presented to the word *almost*?

I didn't.

Posting it was the "relevance". That is, unless you were just
trolling, of course.

Weil loses because he stuck his big trolling-pole nose in where it doesn't
belong.

Sorry. Prove that my nose 'didn't belong" in a public forum.

Again.

You lose.

Again.

William Sommerwerck

I think he was agreeing with the poster as something that
is not quite an impossibility makes it a definite probability.

For Arny to agree with me on _anything_ is a near-impossibility.

This is not to be confused with the infinite improbability
drive which, of course, is well understood. (:)

That is not quite true. It is incompletely understood to the extent of 1/n, as n
approaches infinity.

William Sommerwerck

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
(CPSC), Philips Consumer Electronics Company, of Atlanta, GA,
is recalling 25,500 Philips Magnavox home audio theatre systems
for free repair. The system's speaker voice coil can overheat and
lead to a speaker fire, presenting a fire hazard to consumers.
Philips has received four reports of speaker fires, with one resulting
in scorched carpeting. No injuries have been reported.

The magnificent Magnavox!

The fires are probably the result of the following factors...

Flammable voice-coil formers (and/or cones)... Used in drivers with insufficient
heat-sinking... Operated by listeners who turn the volume All The Way Up and
leave it there for extended periods.

I wish I had the money to buy one of these things and "test it to destruction."
Whoo-ee!

Rich Andrews

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:vp09gieb3k8v70
@corp.supernews.com:

[...]

We used to call them Maggot-Box. (:)
Then again we were pretty irreverant. JVC was Junk Video Corporation,
Sony was Balony, Radio Crap of America, Zenith was Behemoth, Sharp was
Barf and there were others I cannot remember.

Lionel

wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

"Smooooooooke on the speakers"

Robert Morein

On 18/10/03 1:44 AM, in article
, "Rich Andrews"
wrote:

something that is not quite an
impossibility makes it a definite probability. This is not to be confused
with the infinite improbability drive which, of course, is well
understood. (:)

"RICH ANDREWS"
--------------------------

The attacker known on this group as "Rich Andrews" is a well-known internet
troll and anti-semite racist scum from the DFW area. His identity has been
confirmed with internet investigators and has already been provided to a few
that have inquired. He has been bounced from verio.net, home.com,
earthlink.com, allegiance telecom, and perhaps other ISP's.

You can review some of his posts in Google under the following names:

Don

"Curmit"

His most infamous quote is "Establishing commonality with fat, ugly, bull
dykes, jewgirl? "

Lionel

His most infamous quote is "Establishing commonality with fat, ugly, bull
dykes girls"

I thought it was only true for Tennessean ones !

http://www.perverts.nl/files/Friends...0Tennessee.jpg

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Sockpuppet Yustabe said:

All that did is make you look really, really stupid.

How do trotsky's antics make *him* look?

Argumentative, combatative, evasive, and unreasonable.
Not good qualities in the field of marketing.