Robert Morein

"no useful info" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote:

A moderate spanking is not very painful. It is humiliating.

It is only humiliating if the child lets it be...in todays society many
a child will brag to their friends that they made you fly off the handle
or that the spanking didn't hurt in the least.

It's a shame that with all this talk of hitting and beating one's

children,
no one has described what they do to nuture their child; to help him

grow;
to help him develop positive attitudes, to make him feel good about

himself,
and to make him feel part of the adult world as early as possible.

it's obvious that you needed more nurturing as you've never learned to
admit that forging someones email addy is wrong.

Let me make something clear: I am taking over the address "no useful

info".
You can share it with me if you like.
If you think you have a legal claim, pursue it in court.

PS: Remember, I continue to offer you a truce, for which I ask very little:
1.Do not participate in responses to my threads.
2.Leave my questions alone.
3. Do not belittle me or my questions.

If you agree, I will cease using the name "no useful info."

Fred B. McGalliard

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
1.Do not participate in responses to my threads.
2.Leave my questions alone.
3. Do not belittle me or my questions.

Crap, man, where is the fun in that?

nmstevens

"Robert Morein" wrote in message ...
"TonyP" wrote in message
. net...
Robert Morein wrote:

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message

I'm surprised how much you guys seem to endorse corporal

punishment.

All one has to do is look how kids that grew up in the era of corporal
punishment turned out compared to the young "adults" of today. And it

will
even get worse. Teachers today call parents to inform them of little

Leroy's
actions and the parents show up at school looking to beat up the

teacher.

I'm not ruling out corporal punishment. Please reread what I wrote.

It seemed that way.

All I'm saying is, we transfer our wisdom to our kids by communicating

with
them. Corporal punishment does not do this. Sure, if for some reason,

there
has been a communications failure, then you may have to spank them. Then

go
back and ask yourself, "How did this comm failure occur, and what can I

do
to bring my kids closer to me?"

Or... have you thought that the kid just wanted to do what the kid
wanted to do inspite of what you said?

Mostly, that happens when you give the child rules, but don't make him part
of your world. You have to teach your child by example, by how you conduct
your life. Too many parents keep their children at arms length. Let your
child feel your pain; feel your joy.

As far as the type of corporal punishment, the object should be

humilation.
When I hear people speak of wanting to "beat" their kid, this crosses

the
line. This is teaching brutality. Sure, you may curb the current
misbehavior, but at a terrible cost later, at the core of your child's
misbehavior.

Really. Re-read the above reply to you. I never heard of a spanking that
didn't hurt.

A moderate spanking is not very painful. It is humiliating.

Usually, a child's misbehavior is a rebellion against the rules that
have been set in place. Break the rules, there are consequences (gee,
just like in real life!). If you know the consequences and are willing
the break the rules anyway, you bring upon *yourself* the punishment
that was clearly expressed before hand.

That is law, not parenting.

If it is law -- then it is as much natural law as it is man-made law.

Gee, doesn't that bright shiny thing flickering at the end of that
stick
look interesting. I think I'll touch it. Youch!! Nature has just
taught you not to touch fire. Gee, I wonder what'll happen if I try
dragging Pussy-cat up stairs by his tail. Yow! Ouch!! Ahh! Nature
(with a little assist from Pussy-cat) has just taught you that you
shouldn't be dragging pussy cat up the stairs by his tail.

Before there was language, before there was reason, before we had our
wonderfully advanced brains -- there was pain and pleasure. They are
there to teach us how to navigate the world in safety -- to positively
reinforce us when we do things that help us to survive and to
negatively reinforce us when we do things that are likely going to get
us hurt or killed.

The notion that spanking ought to be used as a tool of humiliation -
that causing pain to child is harmful and brutal -- whilst
"humiliating" a child, of all things, is a perfectly wonderful
strategy toward achieving healthy happy adulthood -- seems like the
sickest crock of demented bull**** that I've ever ****ing heard.

What did your parents do when they had to haul out the big guns --
send you to school dressed up like a girl?

As we progress from childhood to adulthood, we
enter a world that does run according to unfeeling statutes. If you commit a
crime, you are punished. However, such a system is not appropriate for
raising a child. Too many men think that childrearing is about setting rules
and demanding compliance. But they don't understand that the more important
part of parenting is nurturing.

Nurturing is not reserved for women. Nurturing means that you provide all
the emotional support and framework that helps your child grow. Nurturing
includes all kinds of positive reinforcement.

Yeah, we all hear that and it can work -- up to a point. And then,
virtually every parent hits that point where it doesn't work.

Where talking doesn't work. Where explaining doesn't work. Where
promising doesn't work. Where time outs don't work. Where threats
don't work.

And there comes a moment of truth.

Somebody in your house has got to be in charge. Everything cannot be a
negotiation.

And ultimately sometimes the reason why a thing has to be a certain
way is because you say it.

Because otherwise everything -- and I mean every single solitary
aspect of your child's life is going to end being a negotiation. Bed
is at nine o' clock. Why not nine oh five. Why not nine oh four? Why
not two minutes more? If two minutes why not three minutes? Why not
another thirty seconds? If another thirty seconds, why not another
minute? And on and on and on, every single request questioned,
pressed, challenged.

And then you fall into the most lethal pit of quicksand imaginable.
You try to reason with your child. And the deadly reality is -- there
is no reason. Why is it that that the voting age is 18 -- and not 18
and one day, or 18 minus one day? It's completely arbitrary. And so is
the 9:00 bedtime. It could be anything. And whatever you set it to --
it's still going to be arbitrary -- it's still going to be subject to
the same idiotic, interminable challenge, and negotiation. Because
whatever it is, the kid doesn't want to go bed. Whatever you want him
to do -- he doesn't want to do it. He wants to challenge you.

There's no failure of communication of all. You want him to do it. He
doesn't -- and he'll use whatever strategy you allow him to use to get
out of doing it. If "reasoning" works -- then he'll happily reason his
way out of doing it. If screaming works -- he'll scream. If crying
works, he'll cry. If grinding you down works -- he'll grind you down.
If being sick helps -- he'll pretend to be sick. That's always good --
at least a couple times.

And the simple fact is, what ultimately works is for parents when they
come to loggerheads with children -- is to not reason with them. Quite
the opposite. Because when it comes down to a conflict someone
completely unreasonable and someone trying to be "reasonable" -- the
unreasonable one always has the edge.

So if bedtime is 9:00 -- at ten to nine it's time to start getting
ready - get the screaming and the crying and fussing and all the rest
out of the way -- no reasoning -- no listening. No nothing. Five
minutes? No? Two minutes? No? Five seconds? No. Nothing. Why. No
reason. None. I say so. Period. Do it. If not, then God help you.

Far from being more reasonable, in some ways, you have to be less
reasonable -- because the alernative is a home where your kids, rather
than you -- are really in charge.

And in the end, they really do want you to be in charge. And they need
you to be in charge. And they fact that some of the rules have some
arbitrariness to them -- that's life. That's the way it is in the real
world too. That doesn't mean that the rules don't really,
fundamentally make sense.

It's a shame that with all this talk of hitting and beating one's children,
no one has described what they do to nuture their child; to help him grow;
to help him develop positive attitudes, to make him feel good about himself,
and to make him feel part of the adult world as early as possible.

I think that it's because it's easy to be positive with one's
children. It's easy, when your child fails to say that he's really
done well -- even when it's not true. And to tell yourself that that's
a good thing to do - you're making him feel good about himself,
building him up, etc.

Sort of like "social promotion" -- where, for I don't know how many
years we've been graduating kids who fail all their courses, because,
God forbid, if we held them back until they mastered the material,
then they'd "feel bad themselves." So instead, we graduate them into
more advanced classes, where they still don't know the material,
finally promoting entire generations of high school kids with diplomas
that many of them can't even read, into a world where many of them
have essentially no useful or marketable skills -- but that's okay --

because you see, they "feel good about themselves."

My feeling about it -- such as it is -- is that people of all ages
should feel proud about accomplishments that warrant it - and should
feel bad when they've done things that warrant that.

I'm not into this sort of generic "feel-goodism" -- whoever said that
just because somebody gave you a ticket out of the womb that that
necessarily means that you're a great guy? Maybe you are, maybe you're
not. Maybe you should feel good about yourself. Maybe you shouldn't.
That very much depends on who you are and how you've been behaving.
Maybe your entire life needs a major overhaul before you start feeling
good about yourself and you ought to start today.

If I were to endow my children with any quality that I think is
important -- I would say that it is far more important that they know
themselves -- than that they "feel good" about themselves -- because
if you know yourself, you'll know whether you *should* feel good about
yourself.

NMS

TonyP

Robert Morein wrote:

"TonyP" wrote in message
. net...

Or... have you thought that the kid just wanted to do what the kid
wanted to do inspite of what you said?

Mostly, that happens when you give the child rules, but don't make him part
of your world. You have to teach your child by example, by how you conduct
your life. Too many parents keep their children at arms length. Let your
child feel your pain; feel your joy.

Everyone has to follow rules, whether they agree with them or not. And,
if you don't and are caught, there will be a price to pay. Of course,
you lead by example to your children. You can't say don't drink and
guzzle beer by the barrel in front of them. Still, children will test
the limits of their environment to see how much they can get away with.
That is where the rules and 'laws' come in. Break them, these are the
consequences. Quite simple.

As far as the type of corporal punishment, the object should be humilation.
When I hear people speak of wanting to "beat" their kid, this crosses the
line. This is teaching brutality. Sure, you may curb the current
misbehavior, but at a terrible cost later, at the core of your child's
misbehavior.

Really. Re-read the above reply to you. I never heard of a spanking that
didn't hurt.

A moderate spanking is not very painful. It is humiliating.

Sure. Moderate spanking. Humiliating to who, the child? I don't think so.

Usually, a child's misbehavior is a rebellion against the rules that
have been set in place. Break the rules, there are consequences (gee,
just like in real life!). If you know the consequences and are willing
the break the rules anyway, you bring upon *yourself* the punishment
that was clearly expressed before hand.

That is law, not parenting. As we progress from childhood to adulthood, we
enter a world that does run according to unfeeling statutes. If you commit a
crime, you are punished. However, such a system is not appropriate for
raising a child. Too many men think that childrearing is about setting rules
and demanding compliance. But they don't understand that the more important
part of parenting is nurturing.

We are not talking about nurturing. You act as if corporal punishment is
wrong. It isn't. There is a time and place for it.

Nurturing is not reserved for women. Nurturing means that you provide all
the emotional support and framework that helps your child grow. Nurturing
includes all kinds of positive reinforcement.

And punishment.

It's a shame that with all this talk of hitting and beating one's children,
no one has described what they do to nuture their child; to help him grow;
to help him develop positive attitudes, to make him feel good about himself,
and to make him feel part of the adult world as early as possible.

When you have reached the point of spanking, there will be nothing
"good" about it.

Personally, I was spanked exactly once, when I was four years old. However,
I was "punished" many times, while growing up, by sheer guilt at the various
shortfalls that all kids have in becoming adults. And my conscience grew
large, which is a tribute to my parents.

Mind did to. Knowing that my father would "kill" me kept me from doing a
lot of stupid things I would have done. Otherwise, I would have turned
out like a lot of the brats you see in the mall screaming at their
parents demanding this and that. All while the parent says "please stop
that. You are making a scene." Then the kid swings at the parent. Keeps
up the tantruming until they get what they want.
Glad parenting is as wonderful as you paint it to be....

And, the spanking made you into a deranged person.

no useful info

"Fred B. McGalliard" wrote:

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
1.Do not participate in responses to my threads.
2.Leave my questions alone.
3. Do not belittle me or my questions.

Crap, man, where is the fun in that?

bobbie is a sick anti-semite. you'd think that after having had his
email addy hijacked he would know better than to do it himself.

he probably has self-esteem issues because he was only a PhD "candidate"
in engineering, apparently not being able to accomplish his thesis and
get his degree.

btw, ream him on the reactor rods thread.

no useful info

"Robert Morein" wrote:

[...]

you are an anti-semitic forger. you are scum that uses the word
"technically" to excuse your attempted theft of my name, a tactic that
only lawyers, politicians and criminals use. you use that word as if it
is an excuse for your behaviour. your attempts at hijacking my email are
no different than identity theft. steal my identity, steal my heritage.

I will not agree to any truce until you forthrightly and truthfully
apologize for what you have done and admit that forging anothers email
address is wrong. your inability to see your error in judgement leads me
to believe that the reason you state you were a Ph.D. candidate is that
you didn't have the moral fortitude required to finish the requirements.
Play your game, but I will cross-post every one of your posts to any
group you frequent and your reputation will suffer. suffer more than it
currently does

1. The are not your threads.
2. Your questions are idiotic, especially since you were a PhD candidate
in engineering.
3. Your idiotic questions deserve belittling.
4. Remember if you are capable of it that I provided more links to info
than anyone else thereby establishing my right to belittle your further
idiotic questions.
5. Have you even drafted a preliminary set of plans for your wooden box?
6. Ask a question on usenet, be prepared for the answers...even if you
don't like them.
7. Continued use of my nym and email addy will only result in the
diminuation of your credibility.
8. Bite me.

no useful info

"Robert Morein" wrote:

[...]

Dear "no useful info",
I offered to give you back your email address. If you don't want it,
I'll keep it. I like it.

Any time you decide otherwise, the offer stands.

no useful info

"nmstevens" wrote in message
om...
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"TonyP" wrote in message
. net...
Robert Morein wrote:

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message

[snip]

I'm not into this sort of generic "feel-goodism" -- whoever said that
just because somebody gave you a ticket out of the womb that that
necessarily means that you're a great guy? Maybe you are, maybe you're
not. Maybe you should feel good about yourself. Maybe you shouldn't.
That very much depends on who you are and how you've been behaving.
Maybe your entire life needs a major overhaul before you start feeling
good about yourself and you ought to start today.

If I were to endow my children with any quality that I think is
important -- I would say that it is far more important that they know
themselves -- than that they "feel good" about themselves -- because
if you know yourself, you'll know whether you *should* feel good about
yourself.

NMS

Neal,
Very well put. I did not mean to convey that meaningless positivism is
a point of good parenting. But what I got from the thread, with all the male
rage that came out, was that the emphasis is on the wrong thing. Perhaps I
would feel differently if I had been witness to more difficult children.

There was not a single use of the word "love" in the thread.

no useful info

"TonyP" wrote in message
t...
Robert Morein wrote:

"TonyP" wrote in message
. net...

[snip]
Glad parenting is as wonderful as you paint it to be....

Tony, I respect your POV, and I don't believe I know everything about
parenting. Ironically, it seems as if your father had methods other than
physical punishment to keep you in line.

I'm sure you do the best for your kids.

TonyP

no useful info wrote:

Neal,
Very well put. I did not mean to convey that meaningless positivism is
a point of good parenting. But what I got from the thread, with all the male
rage that came out, was that the emphasis is on the wrong thing. Perhaps I
would feel differently if I had been witness to more difficult children.

There was not a single use of the word "love" in the thread.

the entire origination was about punishment. So, that was what was dealt
with.

TonyP

no useful info wrote:

"TonyP" wrote in message
t...

Robert Morein wrote:

"TonyP" wrote in message
. cv.net...

[snip]

Glad parenting is as wonderful as you paint it to be....

Tony, I respect your POV, and I don't believe I know everything about
parenting. Ironically, it seems as if your father had methods other than
physical punishment to keep you in line.

I'm sure you do the best for your kids.

Sure my parents did. But that did also included corporal punishment.
Again, the fear of my father 'killing' me kept me from doing a lot of
stupid things I would have done. Not the "go to your room, no tv" thing.

TonyP

no useful info wrote:

"TonyP" wrote in message
t...

Robert Morein wrote:

"TonyP" wrote in message
. cv.net...

[snip]

Glad parenting is as wonderful as you paint it to be....

Tony, I respect your POV, and I don't believe I know everything about
parenting. Ironically, it seems as if your father had methods other than
physical punishment to keep you in line.

I'm sure you do the best for your kids.

Sure my parents did. But that did also included corporal punishment.
Again, the fear of my father 'killing' me kept me from doing a lot of
stupid things I would have done. Not the "go to your room, no tv" thing.

nmstevens

"no useful info" wrote in message ...
"nmstevens" wrote in message
om...
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"TonyP" wrote in message
. net...
Robert Morein wrote:

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

My feeling is this -- love, like a lot of words, has been used so
often that, as a word, it's been devalued. Talk is cheap.

The only love that has any meaning between a parent and a child is the
love that exists through the work of parenting -- and it is not one
bit less present when you punish as it is when you praise.

A child inappropriately punished has been inappropriately parented.

But a child inappropriately praised -- has not one whit less -- been
inappropriately parented.

Both can yield results that are, as adults, less than sterling.

The trouble is -- it's very easy to fall into the trap of
"inappropriate praise" -- because, after all, isn't it good to always
be positive, always be upbeat, always try to find something good to
say, something to compliment, some way to make your child feel good
about himself, even when he's failed, not done his work, been lazy,
careless, sloppy, or evil?

Until after awhile, it becomes automatic -- and a parent actually
starts to believe that everything a child does is good - that their
child can do no wrong, that everything bad that happens must be due to
something else -- bad teachers, bad playmates, society, the stars --
or *them* -- anything but the responsibility of the child himself.

I've met these kids -- and these parents. When a kid was knocking
something over and I said, "Hey, no, don't do that," and the Mother
said, very offended, "We don't say, "no" to our son."

That was years ago. I wonder what they say to him now -- when they
visit him in prison, which is where the little brat probably ended up.

What you fail to understand is that the greatest gift -- the greatest
act of love that any parent can give to a child is to raise him up to
be a responsible, caring, contributing member of society -- even if,
at various points along the way, the child may not enjoy the process.

Love, in point of fact, was the entire topic of my post.

NMS

TonyP

George M. Middius wrote:

TonyP said:

Sure my parents did. But that did also included corporal punishment.
Again, the fear of my father 'killing' me kept me from doing a lot of
stupid things I would have done. Not the "go to your room, no tv" thing.

Does your cellmate think of you as a kind, loving person?

Sure does...

Agent_C

This is what you get when you try to email the kid at the address he
posted:

---
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

:
207.115.57.15 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 ... Addressee
unknown, relay=[216.136.225.12]
Giving up on 207.115.57.15.

--- Original message follows.

Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 04:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Selling Son's Beloved Play Station 2 For Punishment!

Tell your father I think he's a small minded, mean
spirited, asshole.

A_C

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 07:32:59 -0400, Agent_C
wrote:

On 01 Jul 2004 02:02:17 GMT,
(Radioman390) wrote:

Should this be allowed?

I'd say it's worth maybe 5 years of therapy for this kid. Makes you
wonder what other 'parenting' skills this father is applying.

A_C

Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 04:37:59 -0700 (PDT)

Tell your father I think he's a small minded, mean
spirited, asshole.

A_C

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 07:32:59 -0400, Agent_C
wrote:

On 01 Jul 2004 02:02:17 GMT,
(Radioman390) wrote:

Should this be allowed?

I'd say it's worth maybe 5 years of therapy for this kid. Makes you
wonder what other 'parenting' skills this father is applying.

A_C

Robert Morein

"nmstevens" wrote in message
m...
"no useful info" wrote in message

[snip]

What you fail to understand is that the greatest gift -- the greatest
act of love that any parent can give to a child is to raise him up to
be a responsible, caring, contributing member of society -- even if,
at various points along the way, the child may not enjoy the process.

Love, in point of fact, was the entire topic of my post.

NMS

Neal,
No disagreement. If were were sitting around a table at the Village Ma,
this would become clear.

no useful info

"nmstevens" wrote in message
m...
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

[snip]

What you fail to understand is that the greatest gift -- the greatest
act of love that any parent can give to a child is to raise him up to
be a responsible, caring, contributing member of society -- even if,
at various points along the way, the child may not enjoy the process.

Love, in point of fact, was the entire topic of my post.

NMS

Neal,
No disagreement. If were were sitting around a table at the Village Ma,
this would become clear.

what would become clear is your hatred of fat people, especially if they
are Jewish.
--
I would never use X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409 although the anti-semite "Robert Morein" who regularly posts in rec.audio.opinion, rec.arts.movies.production.sound, rec.audio.marketplace, misc.writing.screenplays and forges replies from me does use X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409. Any reply with this header is his:

see the self-portrait gallery and home page of "Robert Morein" at
http://www.worldjazz.tv

ansermetniac

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:15:00 -0700, no useful info

"nmstevens" wrote in message
m...
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

[snip]

What you fail to understand is that the greatest gift -- the greatest
act of love that any parent can give to a child is to raise him up to
be a responsible, caring, contributing member of society -- even if,
at various points along the way, the child may not enjoy the process.

Love, in point of fact, was the entire topic of my post.

NMS

Neal,
No disagreement. If were were sitting around a table at the Village Ma,
this would become clear.

what would become clear is your hatred of fat people, especially if they
are Jewish.

I am fat and Jewish

Abbedd

Lady Veteran