Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes,aus.hi-fi
JBorg, Jr.[_2_] JBorg, Jr.[_2_] is offline

Default Why "accuracy"?

JimC wrote:
George M. Middius wrote:

Why "accuracy"? For certain Usenet poseurs, this is the question
that dare not speak its name.

Normals (black magic flat-earth believers) and 'borgs alike would
surely accept that the purpose of an audio system is to enable us to
enjoy listening to recorded music. Normals choose the pieces of a
system that maximizes listening pleasure. How does praying to the god of
"accuracy" help attain that end?

It's really rather simple, Georgie. - Those of us who are not within
your black magic-subjectivism cult enjoy listening to recorded music
because we enjoy hearing the music as it was composed and/or
performed. [...]

What does black magic-subjectivism cult imply, Mr. Cate?
What does it signify? You seems bitter on something about
high-end audio in general.

The purpose of a "high-fidelity" audio system is to
reproduce Beethoven's works more nearly as Beethoven intended them to be
performed, or to hear the Rolling Stones in a manner that
reproduces their concerts more nearly as they were performed (more
nearly than a small table radio, for example). [...]

Mr. Cate, how does Mr. Beethoven and The Rolling Stone intended their
music to be heard when played in the listening room in our home?

Is there a manifest enumerating all the specific list of requirement
where we can obtain these information so that we can listen to
Mr. Beethoven and the Rolling Stone precisely and correctly as
they intended them to be heard when performed inside our home ?

It's because our
listening pleasure derives from the music itself, George, not from
distortion or manipulation of the music caused by our equipment.

Mr. Cate, are you hinting that audiophiles who listen to music
through their vinyl records derives listening pleasure from the distortion
and manipulation by their equipment, and not from the music
itself ?

For anyone who didn't get it, the purpose of George's original post,
as usual, was to put down anyone who doesn't accept his black-magic
subjectivist biases. (And also, another display of his long-standing
inferiority problems when confronting those who know something about
the science.) It wasn't, of course, derived from an interest on his
part in learning from contributors with various viewpoints.

Jim