Posted to rec.audio.car
Cartrivision1 Cartrivision1 is offline

Default What would cause my stereo to die suddenly?

Hi, I have an older Pioneer KEH-P8250 cassette receiver. It has always
functioned fine until today. After being on for a minute or so it went
out. I was listening to the radio and when I went to either switch to
tape or to get the tape out, the radio went dead with no display or
anything. I tried the reset button and that did not do anything except
some movement in the tape mechanism but no eject, and still no life to
the display.

I used a very small slotted screwdriver and was able to get the
cassette out while doing the reset thing, but still no life in either
radio or tape mode afterwards. I even tried putting the tape back in
thinking it might work again. It is obviously getting some power as
the eject mechanism tries to engage, but none of the buttons have any
effect. I noticed months ago that the removable face would have to be
partially up and practically closed for the tape mechanism to either
accept or eject a tape. I even tried cleaning the contacts but that
had no effect.

Does anyone have any tips? I was thinking of checking the fuse(s) and
maybe try and disconnect the battery and see what that does. If anyone
has any tips please let me know.

thanks,
CTV

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Cartrivision1" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Check the car fuses 1st.
There may even be a fuse on the Pioneer unit or the wires connecting it

Posted to rec.audio.car
BrianQ BrianQ is offline

"Cartrivision1" wrote in news:1164524109.032836.174010
@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

After being on for a minute or so it went
out.

Well, I had a customer once who was convinced that the man
across the street beamed rays at her, and ruined
the stereo in her car that way.

After I removed the second cassette that she had managed
to jam fully into the deck, however,
the effect of the rays was completely undone.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

"Well, I had a customer once who was convinced that the man across the
street beamed rays at her, and ruined the stereo in her car that way. After
I removed the second cassette that she had managed to jam fully into the
deck, however, the effect of the rays was completely undone."

You should have suggested she switch to a CD player. The laser used by the
CD mechanism completely scatters and blocks destructive rays. Especially
beamed rays.

Tony

--
2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car

e-nigma wrote:
Check the car fuses 1st.
There may even be a fuse on the Pioneer unit or the wires connecting it

I checked the accessory fuse and it was fine. It actually had a good
20A fuse where a 15A should have been. I put the right amp fuse in but
still doing the same thing. I think I will try disconnecting the
battery next and seeing if that resets it.

thanks
CTV

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cartrivision1 Cartrivision1 is offline

Update, well all the fuses check out OK. I even pulled the head unit
out and checked. The 10 amp fuse was fine there. I did some checking
on the amp tonight (Pioneer 4-channel) and with the key in the "acc"
position I did not see any light(s) on. I know very little about car
stereo, but should the amp come on even if the head unit was
malfunctioning, or is the amp "switched" on somehow via the head unit?

thanks,
CTV

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Cartrivision1" wrote in message
ups.com...
Update, well all the fuses check out OK. I even pulled the head unit
out and checked. The 10 amp fuse was fine there. I did some checking
on the amp tonight (Pioneer 4-channel) and with the key in the "acc"
position I did not see any light(s) on. I know very little about car
stereo, but should the amp come on even if the head unit was
malfunctioning, or is the amp "switched" on somehow via the head unit?

thanks,
CTV

The amp, if hooked up correctly, will only come on when the head unit is
turnesd on.
Does the unit have a motorized face, or detachable face?
If it has detachable face, try using a pencil eraser and clean the contacts
on the face and unit.
If it has a motorized Face the ribbon cable to the face may have gone bad.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Barry & Nikki Barry & Nikki is offline

My mother brought her car to you instead of me. DAMN HER!!! I guess I will
have to put three cassette tapes in next time.

0...

Stereo pads Gareth Magennis Pro Audio 6 December 30th 05 04:01 PM
HT with hi end stereo brooks44 High End Audio 6 December 13th 05 04:50 AM
Stereo: Scam of the Century? R78Skijoo Audio Opinions 11 January 10th 05 04:09 PM
Unusual Case - Connecting pc to stereo help please! Stereo Guy Tech 3 September 1st 03 12:25 PM
stolen car stereo and cigarette lighter marshall Car Audio 1 July 3rd 03 06:58 PM