Posted to rec.audio.car
Niteman9 Niteman9 is offline

Default Which amps should I use

I have two trucks I am installing systems in. one is a 2002 Ford F-350
Crew Cab. I installed an Alpine CDA-9857 with the ipod cable.

And a 1990 dodge which I installed an old Pioneer Premier HU and CD
changer from the mid 90 this unit does not have a build in amp. I also
installed Polk Audio 6X9's in the dodge truck doors. I plan on
installing some rear speakers and maybe one 10"sub. So I need amps.

I have two Carver amps a 2150 and a 4200 one is 2 X 75 and the other
is 4 X 50 I plan. I also have Boston Acoustics Pro 6.2 and 4.2
components which I plan on installing in the Ford.

I have been looking at amps and can not decide what I should buy. I
have looked at Lightning Audio, which I can get a 4 ch for about $50 on
ebay. Then I saw some Phoenix Gold Octane Series on ebay for $100.
Would you recommend getting new PG amps for the Ford and installing the
Carvers in the Dodge or keep the Carvers in the newer truck and buy new
for the old dodge. Would the lightning audio be ok for this? I am not
looking for audiophile sound. Just decent sound. Or should I get the PG
amps for the dodge. $100 is max what I am looking to spend. If the
Lightning audio are OK I will go with them. And I know you get what you
pay for but I just don't want engine noise or the thing failing in 6
months. I guess I am also asking which to you think are better amps the
Carver or the PG Octane Series. I was surprised to see the price of
these on ebay. Are they any good or is PG making a cheap line just to
get market share.

Thanks,

John

Posted to rec.audio.car
John John is offline

What are you looking for power / impedence-wise?

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.car
Niteman9 Niteman9 is offline

On Dec 7, 11:37 am, John
wrote:
What are you looking for power / impedence-wise?

--
John

I think 50 X 4 for the mids and highs and 75 X 2 or 150 bridged for the
subs. I guess the real question was do you consider the new PG Octane
series better or worse than the Carvers I already have. I have read
different opinion on the carvers from they are great to they are junk.
I never had a problem with them and I think the sound great. And if I
keep the Carvers for the newer truck and buy new for the old one should
I get the Lightning audio or the PG. The PG are twice the price but
still affordable at $100.00 for the 5.0:4.

Posted to rec.audio.car
John John is offline

I would actually avoid the PG Octane, and especially with PG's company
instability. Despite what anyone might tell you, the PG Octane series
is really overhyped, it was a mainstream spin to add more flash and
marketability to their product. Not sure on those specific carvers.
Here's one you might want to consider, as it's in your range, this aura
amp:
http://forum.carstereos.org/garage-s...ms-t64408.html
http://forum.carstereos.org/member.php?u=1013

Good reputable seller

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.car
Niteman9 Niteman9 is offline

Thanks for the info John. I think I am going to install one of the
Carvers in the old truck for now and do something in the spring when it
gets a little warmer.

Posted to rec.audio.car
John John is offline

Good to wait until spring...Rapid heating and cooling of amps is no
good...

--
John