Posted to rec.audio.high-end
sammy

Default Turntable cartridge recommendations

Hi,
I have a Thorens TD 125 w/ SME arm which has a Signet cartridge and
Klipsh preamp.
I would like to record some vinyl to disk, but find this setup very
noisy. Any recommendations? I think I just need a new cartridge.
Presently, I record to a CD recorder instead of directly to computer.
Thanks for any advice!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MD

sammy wrote:

Hi,
I have a Thorens TD 125 w/ SME arm which has a Signet cartridge and
Klipsh preamp.
I would like to record some vinyl to disk, but find this setup very
noisy. Any recommendations? I think I just need a new cartridge.
Presently, I record to a CD recorder instead of directly to computer.
Thanks for any advice!

I assume you want MM? If so the Goldring 1000 series is excellent and
the stylus is replaceable.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

sammy wrote:

Hi,
I have a Thorens TD 125 w/ SME arm which has a Signet cartridge and
Klipsh preamp.
I would like to record some vinyl to disk, but find this setup very
noisy. Any recommendations? I think I just need a new cartridge.
Presently, I record to a CD recorder instead of directly to computer.
Thanks for any advice!

It is difficult to tell what you mean by "noisy". I do not have a component
CD recorder, but have copied many Lp's to CD using the Linux Audacity
application. This program allows adjustable input gain. If the signal
peaks at over 0dB, distortion will set in, so one must be sure not to set
the gain too high. If this is the kind of noise you encounter then a new
cartridge will not be any benefit to you.

On the other hand, the "sound" of the cartridge tracking the vinyl is
noticeable on quiet passages regardless of whatever cartridge you use.
With Audacity one can cut the introduction (the non-musical lead in
portion) out of the mix, starting the music exactly where it begins. One
can also fade out the ending. When a click or pop shows one can expand the
waveform cutting out the offending section. This latter technique gives
variable results, and only works passably when the click is a very short
transient.

There is no intrinsic reason your Signet cartridge would be particularly
noisy unless it is defective. If records sound OK through your speakers or
headphones, and only sound bad on the recordings you make, then it is not
the cartridge that is causing the problem.

michael