caveplayer

Default laptop recording, advice for novice.

Hi,
I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
quality to my PC setup?

thanks.
RichieBee

I would use an external sound capture device. There's plenty on the market
depending on your needs and budget. I use a Tascam US122 which gives me
excellent results. It's only two channels (probably the max recommended
with USB 1) but it does come with phantom power, inserts and it's of pretty
good quality (certainly better than a Soundblaster).
If you need multitrack (and I assume not if you're happy with a
soundblaster), then you should probably go firewire. No recommendations but
I think all but the cheapest consumer devices from M Audio is decent.

Onboard sound in laptops tends to suck a lot. I wouldn't even consider
it...

Rich

--
www.richiebee.ca
Scenic Newfoundland :: MM Fireworks Resources :: My Music
"caveplayer" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
quality to my PC setup?

thanks.

**bg**

"caveplayer" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
quality to my PC setup?

thanks.

________________________
Contact Bryon Low at Annex Pro, em addy

Their URL is
http://www.annexpro.com/home/

-bg-
www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
www.lchb.ca

caveplayer

"RichieBee" wrote in message ...
I would use an external sound capture device. There's plenty on the market
depending on your needs and budget. I use a Tascam US122 which gives me
excellent results. It's only two channels (probably the max recommended
with USB 1) but it does come with phantom power, inserts and it's of pretty
good quality (certainly better than a Soundblaster).
If you need multitrack (and I assume not if you're happy with a
soundblaster), then you should probably go firewire. No recommendations but
I think all but the cheapest consumer devices from M Audio is decent.

Onboard sound in laptops tends to suck a lot. I wouldn't even consider
it...

Rich

please excuse my dumb questions but,
by 'external sound capture device' do you mean 'soundcard'? How much
is the Tascam US122?
Multitracking is not important to me. All i use is two mics. Right
now, they go into a mixer, and i use one stereo out to go into the
soundcard on PC.
I really think the sound i get now is pretty good so i'm excited about
the possibility of it being better. In general, i think mics,
placement, room, is much more important than soundcard. Am i wrong?

Lorin David Schultz

Use an external USB device to get sound into the computer. You connect
your source (microphone, instrument, mixer output, whatever) to the box,
and the box connects to your computer via USB.

I use a Digidesign Mbox, which comes with Pro Tools LE software.
Mackie, M-Audio and Edirol have similar devices too.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

"caveplayer" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
quality to my PC setup?

thanks.

reddred

"caveplayer" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
quality to my PC setup?

thanks.

The C-major codecs aren't bad at all as AC97 codecs go, but I think you have
the one that only has 16 bit sound and, more importantly, does not have a
line in.

So, what you need is a box that plugs into your laptop's USB port, and will
have some kind of line in jack. The boxes made for musicians usually have
mic pre's in them and start at around $150. In general, the pre's aren't
going to be much better than the ones you have in your mixer.

There is a soundblaster external USB box for around $50 with line in jacks.
You may want the extra features of the more expensive boxes to replace your
mixer, but be aware that you won't necessarily get better sound.

jb

Vladan

Anybody used Magma, or similar expansion thing (PCI through CardBus)?
Seams one could use regular PCI sound cards with laptops and notebooks.
Vladan

Anybody used Magma, or similar expansion thing (PCI through CardBus)?
Seams one could use regular PCI sound cards with laptops and notebooks.
Len Moskowitz

caveplayer wrote:

I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
quality to my PC setup?

Since you're comfortable with the lower end of the price scale, you might
try an M-Audio MobilePre USB. For under $150 it gives you two mic pres,
a USB interface, headphone monitoring and it's powered via the USB.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
John Phillips

I have had good luck with the iMic (USB ADC) and it is $40.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

You can only record in Win98 but I think that you can also playback in XP.
I use Win98 and the cool thing is that iMic does not use special drivers!

John