Default Wanted--rubber pinch roller for OTARI MX5050 B3 8 track

Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)

Any leads would be lovely.
best-
matt

Scott Dorsey

Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)

Any leads would be lovely.

Otari didn't have any?

JRF or Athan can probably get one if you don't want to rebuild an old one.
Mike Rivers

In article blah writes:

How do you rebuild one? Can the average cordless drill owner do it?

No, but the average metal lathe owner with a CO2 fire extinguisher
can. There used to be a couple of places that rebuild rollers (most of
their business was with printing press rollers, but the technology is
the same) but I don't know if any of them are still doing it.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/index.ht...dioprices.html

No, there isn't a cheaper source. (before you look, it costs $100)

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

J. P. Morris

Mike Rivers wrote:

If you freeze rubber (like give it a blast of carbon dioxide from the
fire extinguisher, it turns hard temporarily. Then you can chuck it in
the lathe and true up the surface with a tool post grinder.

How critical is the diameter of the pinch roller? And wouldn't doing what
you've described change it?

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Fun things to do with the Ultima games
Scott Dorsey

J. P. Morris wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

If you freeze rubber (like give it a blast of carbon dioxide from the
fire extinguisher, it turns hard temporarily. Then you can chuck it in
the lathe and true up the surface with a tool post grinder.

How critical is the diameter of the pinch roller? And wouldn't doing what
you've described change it?

It's not very critical. What _is_ critical is that the surface be
perfectly parallel to the center shaft.

Diameter of the capstan is critical, since that is how the tape speed
is set. And the pinch roller has to have perfect contact with the
capstan which is why it must be parallel. Position of the pinch roller
when engaged is usually adjustable, so small variations in diameter are
not a big deal.

The idea, though, is that you put a _lot_ of rubber on the thing, and then
you grind it down to the right diameter.

J. P. Morris

Mike Rivers wrote:

And wouldn't doing what you've described change it?

Well, the part that I left out was that you have to put new rubber on
the core, then grind it smooth and true. Molding the rubber on to the
core is the tricky part.

But before you get any ideas, I really didn't intend for you or anyone
to think that you could renew a pinch roller at home in your workshop.
I was just trying to be glib. I guess you took me too seriously.

Oh hell, no. I was just curious. If I did need to do this (which I don't
yet) would I need to find a company that works with audio pinch rollers, or
would a company that usually resurfaces industrial conveyor drive components
also be suitable?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Fun things to do with the Ultima games
http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
Scott Dorsey

J. P. Morris wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

And wouldn't doing what you've described change it?

Well, the part that I left out was that you have to put new rubber on
the core, then grind it smooth and true. Molding the rubber on to the
core is the tricky part.

But before you get any ideas, I really didn't intend for you or anyone
to think that you could renew a pinch roller at home in your workshop.
I was just trying to be glib. I guess you took me too seriously.

Oh hell, no. I was just curious. If I did need to do this (which I don't
yet) would I need to find a company that works with audio pinch rollers, or
would a company that usually resurfaces industrial conveyor drive components
also be suitable?

They are probably the same places. I know Parts Express subcontracts their
rubber work to a company that also does offset press rollers.

There is, however, a big problem with the rubber covering on the
flywheel of the Ampex 300.... nobody seems to be set up to re-rubber
something that large any more.

Aaron J. Grier

Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)

I bought a new urethane pinch roller for mine from athan a few years
ago. looks like they still have them for $85. http://www.athan.com/

--
Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
FeistyFox FeistyFox is offline
Junior Member

Question

I'm not sure where to sell my used Otari MX 5050 biii-2- it is in great condition, and is mounted on a stand. I am hopeful you may have some insight on how best to relocate this piece of equipment. I am located in the LA area, and would love some suggestions I have priced this unit on eBay, where it last sold for about $700 without a stand; I am willing to negotiate. . . Please feel free to contact me