Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing? Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time? I sense a shot or two were inserted after being shot separately but generally the sync looks dead-on - for example the melodic guitar lines. Were recordings done without headphones as shown in the film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Brassplyer wrote:
--------------------

Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing?

** No.

Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time?

** The vid is from the same time as the original recording.

The famous Aussie "lost sheep song ".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

** The sound is a stereo mix of the original release.

Judith and the guys and are pretty obviously miming.

..... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 3:27:59 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:

** The sound is a stereo mix of the original release.

Judith and the guys and are pretty obviously miming.

Well, of course the implication is that this *is* the session the release is from.

Does it look like how you would expect the track could have been recorded or would things have been arranged completely differently?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Brassplyer wrote:

---------------------
Phil Allison wrote:

** The sound is a stereo mix of the original release.

Judith and the guys and are pretty obviously miming.

Well, of course the implication is that this *is* the session
the release is from.

** Gotta believe in Santa Clause for that to be true.

Does it look like how you would expect the track could
have been recorded or would things have been arranged
completely differently?

** The vid replicates how the Seekers typically performed on stage.

Their lives shows were very good, almost flawless.

Actual, multi-track studio recording sessions are not like that.

FYI:

this vid from the same ear is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGOvgBLDI4E

My take is that Judith is singing live over a backing track that omits he voice. I know the song well and her vocal sounds to me like a fresh version.

The mysterious, never hit tambourine in the mix is a giveaway.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/11/2019 6:15 pm, Brassplyer wrote:
Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing? Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time? I sense a shot or two were inserted after being shot separately but generally the sync looks dead-on - for example the melodic guitar lines. Were recordings done without headphones as shown in the film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

No real recording would be made in such a corny scenario.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 02/11/2019 05:15, Brassplyer wrote:
Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing? Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time? I sense a shot or two were inserted after being shot separately but generally the sync looks dead-on - for example the melodic guitar lines. Were recordings done without headphones as shown in the film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

It looks like a recent re-scan and re-mix of a promotional film made for
TV at the time of the original release. As such, the performers will
have been miming to a playback of the released track, with takes being
done until the "performance" matched the music or somebody decided
"that's close enough".

The apparent ages and clothes of the performers match the mid 1960s.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_] James Price[_6_] is offline

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 12:15:38 AM UTC-5, Brassplyer wrote:
Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing? Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time? I sense a shot or two were inserted after being shot separately but generally the sync looks dead-on - for example the melodic guitar lines. Were recordings done without headphones as shown in the film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

From the description:

"The video, which re-created the recording session for a 1968 TV special, has been enhanced and now plays at the correct speed."
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 7:11:47 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
Brassplyer wrote:

Well, of course the implication is that this *is* the session
the release is from.

** Gotta believe in Santa Clause for that to be true.

Wait, what *about* Santa Clause??

The mysterious, never hit tambourine in the mix is a giveaway.

I noticed that but figured it could have been part of a separately recorded rhythm track to keep them locked in.

But the consensus seems to be this wasn't an actual recording session. But yes, I've seen various live videos of them where they were super tight.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

I just wondered if it could have been something like this, which is in fact a live performance that was filmed. The mics were strategically placed out of view. It was one of several groups that were filmed for a promotion Goodyear did.

That's Doc Severinsen on trumpet, back before he adopted his more flamboyant outfits. The guitarist leader is a guy named Mike Bryan, he was the least accomplished player but was the financial backer for the group - he owned an auto dealership and was an enthusiastic semi-pro musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVHfJcE544

Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 9:12:58 AM UTC-5, Brassplyer wrote:
Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

Could have been playback of the mix minus vocal or total mix track, but yes, the meters track with the music.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Who cares? And why? I understand the "what's that mic?" and ridiculing
the boffo mic placement in a video, and where was that tambourine player
anyway? But really, a video production is a production and it doesn't
have to be real.

Can we get back to talking about dBs and tubes vs. transistors?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
Who cares? And why? I understand the "what's that mic?" and ridiculing
the boffo mic placement in a video, and where was that tambourine player
anyway? But really, a video production is a production and it doesn't
have to be real.

Because the original post was someone asking if it was real.

Now... that said... this is a short piece out of a feature film which includes
a lot of concert footage that IS real, and I urge everyone to watch the whole
film and see the concerts which make it clear that the band really IS that
tight.

Even so, it wasn't that unusual for a band to play together in the
studio like that with minimal separation and no need for phones. However,
when heavy vocal effects are being used it is impossible for the vocalists
to take advantage of the artificial acoustics when doing this. And the
original recording has very heavy and bright reverb added to it. So I would
doubt that the original session looked much like that... but I have certainly
worked sessions that did.

Is it just me or does this look like 16mm ECO?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/3/2019 11:58 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
Who cares? And why?

Because the original post was someone asking if it was real.

Now... that said... this is a short piece out of a feature film which includes
a lot of concert footage that IS real, and I urge everyone to watch the whole
film and see the concerts which make it clear that the band really IS that
tight.

Is it so hard to believe that a band can actually turn in a good live
performance in the studio? It's a small group, just a few vocalists, no
trick effects, playing a song that they've probably played hundreds of
times. Maybe I've been listening to too many bluegrass bands who, with
maybe a run-through or two to get the mix sorted out, could record an
album and have it ready for distribution in a couple of hours.

If I were to question anything about being live, it would be that the
12-string guitar sounds better than I expected for that setup, but it's
certainly possible.

Now here's on that's definitely live, and Mary does a better job that I
expected keeping up with Les.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awjTKeS9Wvo

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 03/11/2019 19:07, Mike Rivers wrote:

Now here's on that's definitely live, and Mary does a better job that I
expected keeping up with Les.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awjTKeS9Wvo

I was smiling all the way through that. Thanks for linking.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/11/2019 3:12 am, Brassplyer wrote:
Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

A meter moving does not mean they were recording anything.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Brassplyer wrote:

------------------
Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

** You vying for the "Gullible Fool" award of the year?

FFS wise up dickhead.

.... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 11:00:40 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
Who cares?

Me.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 5:23:50 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
Brassplyer wrote:

Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

** You vying for the "Gullible Fool" award of the year?

I'm making an observation - they're obviously actually singing and playing, the VU meter is moving. Could be they're recording even if it's not what's being heard on the playback.

FFS wise up dickhead.

Feel better now that you've let your personality disorder run free?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Brassplyer anonymous scumbag wrote:

** **** off to hell you retarded damn troll.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

-------------------------
Mike Rivers wrote:

Now here's on that's definitely live, and Mary does a better job that I
expected keeping up with Les.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awjTKeS9Wvo

I was smiling all the way through that. Thanks for linking.

** I love the comment:

" Cant believe that his parents named him after a guitar "

...... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/11/2019 3:05 pm, Brassplyer wrote:

I'm making an observation - they're obviously actually singing and playing, the VU meter is moving. Could be they're recording even if it's not what's being heard on the playback.

Given the contrived nature of the clip, the microphones being used, the
performance positions of mics and 'performers', and that the music heard
is pretty much identical to the commercial release(?), I cannot imagine
for one moment that what is being possibly actually performed (and
perhaps recorded, but doubtfully and irrelevant) is what you are
actually hearing.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 04/11/2019 02:05, Brassplyer wrote:

I'm making an observation - they're obviously actually singing and playing, the VU meter is moving. Could be they're recording even if it's not what's being heard on the playback.

Or, the meter is showing the signal that is being played back for the
group to mime to.

Or the tape is playing back, and that's the level on the tape, and
what's happening in the studio has nothing to do with the tape running.

As I said earlier, this clip has all the hallmarks of a promotional
video, or, as has been said, part of a documentary.

Either way, what is being played is not what is heard on the soundtrack.
The mic positions are way off, and Mary's voice doesn't vary in level as
she moves. It was probably shot using a single camera on 16mm or, just
possibly, 35mm film.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

-----------------------

It was probably shot using a single camera on 16mm or, just
possibly, 35mm film.

** Yes, I checked and the very first colour VTR for pro use was by Ampex in 1964 - the model 2000.

But the Seekers vid shows some tearing in the early moments.

Likely a defect in the replay of some old video copy of the original film.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 9:51:15 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:

** **** off to hell you retarded damn troll.

I suppose someone has to be the resident pointlessly uncivil bipolar Lithium case, good on you for stepping up and volunteering.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
On 4/11/2019 3:12 am, Brassplyer wrote:
Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

A meter moving does not mean they were recording anything.

As I sadly discovered the first (and only) time I used a DIC brand DAT tape.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/11/2019 2:25 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
On 4/11/2019 3:12 am, Brassplyer wrote:
Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

A meter moving does not mean they were recording anything.

As I sadly discovered the first (and only) time I used a DIC brand DAT tape.
--scott

Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?

geoff

I have a box of recorded DATs. I think I recall an issue with DIC DATs, but it's lost in the haze. I'll have to wander through that box, if I can find it.

I also have two working Panasonic SV3900 DAT machines and a remote control.

Ty
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:
Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?

I have a box of recorded DATs. I think I recall an issue with DIC DATs, but it's lost in the haze. I'll have to wander through that box, if I can find it.

The factory was in Norfolk so they turned up locally at good prices, but
they were all bad. All of them.

When the factory shut down I bought a bunch of stuff from them including
lots of 1/2" Precision reels in weird sizes, and they had pallets of DAT
and Exabyte tapes going for very low prices but I did not touch that.

I also have two working Panasonic SV3900 DAT machines and a remote control.

You could do worse.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/11/2019 4:00 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
Ty Ford wrote:
Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?

I have a box of recorded DATs. I think I recall an issue with DIC DATs, but it's lost in the haze. I'll have to wander through that box, if I can find it.

The factory was in Norfolk so they turned up locally at good prices, but
they were all bad. All of them.

What a bunch of DICks !

Bad mechanically or tape formulation or what ? Or just 'bad'....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jrg.roberts@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 16:00:17 UTC+1, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The factory was in Norfolk so they turned up locally at good prices, but
they were all bad. All of them.

Norfolk, you say? Couldn't be to do with "when you record it, it DICappears?"

http://www.explorewaveneyvalley.com/disshistory.asp

Sorry very OT...