Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jeff Henig Jeff Henig is offline

Default A Chuck Hicks Post

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might
enjoy the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of
signal-to-noise ratio I've ever read.

Enjoy:

"With me, it all began with music.

I am a musician, born into a family of musicians. I love music. Music
moves me. Music shapes my life. My world is full of music. Sadly the
world is also full of noise.

To me, music affirms, calms, challenges, encourages, heals, lifts and
nurtures. To me, noise irritates, incites, annoys, diminishes and
destroys. I guess the challenging part is determining the difference
between the two.

What puzzles me is that much noise is called music and many cannot seem
to see the destructive properties which they are embracing. It seems
that it would be wise to be attentive to that which we listen... that
which subtly effects our moods, our health, our attitudes and our actions.

There is power in music. It should be respected. Today is a fine time to
give consideration to that which goes into us... and perhaps in due
course we might be so fortunate as to realize how it wonderfully effects
that which comes from within us."

--
---Jeff

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jeff Henig" skrev i en meddelelse

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might enjoy
the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of signal-to-noise ratio
I've ever read.

And you of course asked him and repost with permission?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Jeff Henig writes:

[...]

Brilliantly stated. Touches on all the points I've tried to express at various
times, but he does it perfectly with such economy.

Thanks for sharing this sunlight and fresh air, Jeff.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

"Jeff Henig" skrev i en meddelelse

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might enjoy
the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of signal-to-noise ratio
I've ever read.

And you of course asked him and repost with permission?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

He may have settings such that only those who are friends of friends may
share, or he may be happy to leave it wide open for anyone who finds it
and so wishes to share it, too.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jeff Henig wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote:
"Jeff Henig" skrev i en meddelelse

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might enjoy
the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of signal-to-noise ratio
I've ever read.

And you of course asked him and repost with permission?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Nope.

shame

I'll rectify that shortly.

See my reply to Peter.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I don't think music is always about happy emotions at all, because sometimes
people don't have happy emotions. Music is about all emotions, good and bad.

Amen, Scott.

In early 2013 I wrote a song about a friend, neighbor, and vet who
killed himself. It is the most brutal song I have ever written. It is
also beautiful (if I do say so myself).

In November I did a solo show of reasonably fresh material, for the
Plumas Arts Organization, and played it for the home folks for the first
time. Many tears in the room. Beauty sometimes aids and abets sorrow.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" skrev i en meddelelse

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

Even if it is public droit morale still requires you to ask because it is
another context.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

Makes no difference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:

"hank alrich" skrev i en meddelelse

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

Even if it is public droit morale still requires you to ask because it is
another context.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

Makes no difference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter, to me what you are saying is that if I see a poster on a public
notice board I have to ask the creator's permission to alert you to that
poster.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 02/01/2015 15:30, hank alrich wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:

"hank alrich" skrev i en meddelelse

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

Even if it is public droit morale still requires you to ask because it is
another context.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

Makes no difference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter, to me what you are saying is that if I see a poster on a public
notice board I have to ask the creator's permission to alert you to that
poster.

I'd say there's a difference between posting a URL and quoting large
sections verbatim. Kind of the same difference as posting a link to a
Soundcloud file and copying it and attaching the audio to your post.

Then again, I assume that anyone who wants to will copy and paste
anything I post on a public forum without asking.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:

"hank alrich" skrev i en meddelelse

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

Even if it is public droit morale still requires you to ask because it is
another context.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

Makes no difference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter, to me what you are saying is that if I see a poster on a public
notice board I have to ask the creator's permission to alert you to that
poster.

No Hank, I am saying that if you repost it in another context you have to
ask, on FB you could share within the already given permission defined by
the original poster, but there is no pre-existing permission for this usenet
newsgroup. Linking to it would be a different issue because a link - except
perhaps an iframe - maintains the context.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jeff Henig wrote:
I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might
enjoy the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of
signal-to-noise ratio I've ever read.

Enjoy:

"With me, it all began with music.

I am a musician, born into a family of musicians. I love music. Music
moves me. Music shapes my life. My world is full of music. Sadly the
world is also full of noise.

To me, music affirms, calms, challenges, encourages, heals, lifts and
nurtures. To me, noise irritates, incites, annoys, diminishes and
destroys. I guess the challenging part is determining the difference
between the two.

But Stravinsky...

What puzzles me is that much noise is called music and many cannot seem
to see the destructive properties which they are embracing. It seems
that it would be wise to be attentive to that which we listen... that
which subtly effects our moods, our health, our attitudes and our actions.

There is power in music. It should be respected. Today is a fine time to
give consideration to that which goes into us... and perhaps in due
course we might be so fortunate as to realize how it wonderfully effects
that which comes from within us."

There's only power in music because we agree to give it power. Others
will choose differently.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:

[...]

On Facebook I see "public" posts as just that. There are privacy
settings that would compel me to ask permission, but when one posts for
public viewing and sharing, I consider permission to quote and link as
given up front.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I asked for permission after your reminder, and he gave it with no
hesitation.

"No problem, Jeff Henig... feel free. I think it not folly to repost
without permission. It's viewable to the public anyway."

Which is what I've contended here. "Public" is just that - no boundaries
are imposed. Posting a link is useles to those who haven't FB accts, in
most cases.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jeff Henig wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I don't think music is always about happy emotions at all, because
sometimes people don't have happy emotions. Music is about all
emotions, good and bad.

Amen, Scott.

In early 2013 I wrote a song about a friend, neighbor, and vet who
killed himself. It is the most brutal song I have ever written. It is
also beautiful (if I do say so myself).

In November I did a solo show of reasonably fresh material, for the
Plumas Arts Organization, and played it for the home folks for the first
time. Many tears in the room. Beauty sometimes aids and abets sorrow.

Dude.

You need to record this song. It sounds like a true gift from the heart.

It will happen. Shaidri and I perform it in the right settings. First
time was at a SWRFA showcase, where in the back of the room a friend of
mine sat with his eyes closed throughout. Later I received a message
from that saying that the song had hit him particularly hard and well,
and that I probably didn't know how close he had come to taking that
exit door, for the same reasons, mostly.

Shaidri has an uncanny sense of where and how to add her voice to such a
song, and the result raises the level of delivery startlingly. The first
time I sang it for her, at our first practice two days after I had stuck
my right index finger into a table saw blade, she was crying by the last
verse. She didn't know him personally, but she knew that she knows many
who did.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Jeff Henig wrote:

OTOH, there is music with anger that is cathartic or uplifting, and then
there is music with anger that doesn't solve anything, and is noise. I
don't know how to break that down further, other than to paraphrase: I know
it when I hear it.

The following is the absolute best music review of all time:

"The wild corybantic orgy, this din of brasses, tin pans and kettles,
this Chinese or Caribbean clatter with wood sticks and ear-cutting
scalping knives... heartless sterility, obliteration of all melody,
all tonal charm, all music... This revelling in the destruction of
all tonal essence, raging satanic fury in the orchestra, this diabolic,
lewd caterwauling, scandal-mongering, gun-toting music, with an
orchestral accompaniment slapping you in the face... Hence, the secret
fascination that makes this music the darling of the feeble-minded
royalty, the plaything of the camarilla, of the court flunkeys covered
with reptilian slime, and of the blase hysterical female court parasites
who need this galvanic stimulation by massive instrumental treatment
to throw their pleasure-weary frog-legs into violent convulsions.... this
diabolical din of this pig-headed man, stuffed with brass and sawdust,
inflated, in an insanely destructive self-aggrandizement, by Mephistopheles'
mephitic and most venomous hellish miasma, into Beelzebub's Court Composer
and General Director of Hell's Music-- Richard Wagner."
-- J.L. Klein
as quoted in the Wagner-Lexicon

Nice!

Here's one of its competitors.

Congratulations Justin Moore and Outlaws Like Me, you're officially off
the hot seat. Because right here, right now, I am unilaterally declaring
that Florida Georgia Line's new album Anything Goes is the worst album
ever released in the history of country music. Ever. Including Florida
Georgia Line's first album Here's To The Good Times, including anything
else you can muster from the mainstream, including a 4-track recording
made by a head trauma victim in a walk-in closet with a Casiotone
keyboard and an out-of-tune banjo. Anything Goes can slay all comers
when it comes to its heretofore unattainable degree of peerless
suckitude.

In a word, this album is bull****. Never before has such a refined
collection of strident clichés been concentrated in one insidious mass.
Never before have the lyrics to an album evidenced such narrowcasted
pseudo-mindless incoherent drivel. Never before have such disparate and
diseased influences been married so haphazardly in a profound vacuum of
taste, and never have all of these atrocities been platooned together to
be proffered to the public without someone, anyone with any bit of
conscience and in a position of power putting a stop to this poisoning
of the listening public.

Not to get all old man on your ass, but most of the time I don't even
understand what the hell these dudes are saying. Brian Kelley and Tyler
Hubbard have their own language, partial to the most
grammatically-challenged and stupefying vocabulary lurking in the
dankest sewers of the English dialect, but not residing firmly in any
specific one of them so no truly proper translation can be obtained.
It's like Pig Latin for douchewads€”understood by them and them only. And
only with the perfect deficiency of brain cells will their concoction of
Ebonics, metrosexual douche speak, and stagnant gene pool rural jargon
become anything resembling coherent to the human ear.

Forget the already ultra-concentrated and extremely-narrow breadth of
modern mainstream country music's laundry list songwriting legacy,
Florida Georgia Line has devised a way to inexplicably make it even more
attenuated and terrible. "Girl, alcoholic beverage, truck, river or
lake"€” that's pretty much the alpha and omega of the Anything Goes
building blocks. Most of these songs have more songwriters than they do
basic lyrical themes, with an average of four cooks per diarrhetic
serving, and one song that boasts five songwriters and still struggles
to pen anything that comes close to a complete sentence or a
comprehensible thought.

Shiny objects and fire also seem to excite and distract Florida Georgia
Line and fill them with a profound sense of wonder, and so soliloquies
to these things also show up occasionally, as does the word "good." They
really like that word.
"Got on my smell good.
Got a bottle of feel good.
Shined up my wheels good.
You're looking real good."

That verse pretty much sums up this entire album. And no, these are not
lyrics to the song that is actually titled "Good Good." Needless to say,
any moments involving depth, sorrow, self-reflection, doubt, or evolved
thinking in any capacity have been unceremoniously scrubbed from this
project entirely, save for one song, "Dirt," which only works to anger
the blood even more because it proves that these morons are capable of
so much more. A song like "Sippin' On Fire" tries to cobble together
some semblance of a love story, but bogs down like all these songs do in
focusing on the material objects and consumables inadvertently on hand
in situations instead of the honest sentiments being felt between two
people. Women and "love" are compared to alcoholic beverages and other
material objects, and vice versa more times than I care to count on this
album, as if they are interchangeable in stature in the human
experience.

Another song that would have been decent if only Florida Georgia Line
didn't figure out how to screw it up is "Bumpin' The Night." Despite the
title alluding to the listener being in store for yet another
demonstration of shallowness, the song displays a compositional depth
that is both surprising and enriching, even though what passes for steel
guitar is so transmogrified by the EDM production, it's hardly
noticeable. There's nothing wrong with fun, feel good songs themselves.
But in such a void of anything striking even close to variety, an
otherwise decent song like "Bumpin' The Night" suffers demonstrably
amongst its peers.

And talk about going to the cliché well too many times, there's a song
on this album called "Angel" that I kid you not is built around the
often sarcastically-used pick up line "Did it hurt when you fell from
the sky?" Any woman who hears this line coming from any man has my
personal blessing to immediately spray them in the face with mace and
knee them in the nuts. The idea that these knuckleheads think that this
line is "sweet" just speaks to the depravity of self-awareness they
suffer from in an irrevocable degree.

There really is a toxic concentration of bad songs on Anything Goes, and
it is all punctuated on the final track "Every Night" where the
hyper-everything that riddles this album somehow gets heightened even
more as Florida Georgia Line explain they don't need the weekend because
every night for them is a wild, raging good time. This personifies the
diabolical sameness of this album, where it's just a contiguous string
of carefree party references and virtually nothing else, almost throwing
caution to the wind and daring fate to make a mockery of this project
over the long perspective of time, if they're not openly cashing out on
the franchise in the face of the obvious dying of a trend.

I would call it country rap, but even that would give this album more
definition than it truly carries. I would call it pop, but even that
world would not stand for such vacuousness. And once again the listener
is left steadfastly perplexed at what Brian Kelley (the short-haired
one) actually does in this band beyond singing one verse of "Dirt" and a
few random backup lines so heavily Auto-tuned you can't tell for sure
it's him.

Everybody knows where Florida Georgia Line is going to lead. Scott
Borchetta must know it. Their producer Joey Moi, formerly of Nickelback
must know it. Their manager Kevin Zaruk, also formerly of Nickelback,
apparently knows it, and admitted as much in a recent Billboard
interview. "It's bizarre because I know so many people who say they
can't stand them but listen to Nickelback and go to their shows. This is
a band that sold hundreds of thousands of dollars in merchandise, and to
this day, I don't know if I've ever seen a person with a Nickelback
T-shirt on walking the streets anywhere in the world. I don't know what
it is, but for whatever reason it became cool to hate Nickelback, and
once that trend took off, it exploded. What I've definitely talked to
[FGL's] Brian [Kelley] and Tyler [Hubbard] about is that whenever
anybody becomes successful in any business, there's people that get
jealous."

This is the problem. Florida Georgia Line and their fans will read a
review like this, and truly believe that jealousy and nothing else is at
the heart of the criticism, and will point to their "success" as proof
of this. But Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, George Strait,
and so many more were wildly successful in their time too, and also
faced criticism, but never to the degree of criticism Florida Georgia
Line is faced with. The music of these legends withstood the test of
time, while artists like Nickelback, Billy Ray Cyrus, New Kids On The
Block, and MC Hammer were also wildly successful in their time, but now
their music is nowhere to be seen besides as a novelty, or listened to
as irony or nostalgia.

It is Florida Georgia Line's destiny to go down as a laughing stock, to
be the next Nickelback, where their fans hide their T-shirts and shun
them, tearing them down just as vehemently and quickly as they
artificially propped them up. Their sophomore album and a song like
"Dirt" was their one opportunity to change that destiny and be known for
something more. But instead they super concentrated what makes them bad
as either a last cash-grabbing hurrah, or as a misguided miscalculation
that their polarizing nature is due to the insecurities of others
instead of a true concern about substance and sustainability. Point to
current attendance numbers and call the haters jealous all you want. All
one has to do is point to Nickelback as an example of why this doesn't
work in the long term.

Florida Georgia Line and Anything Goes are an embarrassment to country
music.

http://tinyurl.com/l274ejn

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:

There's only power in music because we agree to give it power. Others
will choose differently.

Sometimes music moves me powerfully regardless of what I might choose,
short of inserting perfect earplugs.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

[...]

The common sense - and droit morale - angle: Consider the example of taking
the audio from one of your youtube videos and posting it for download, not
linking to it, posting it, on a debate forum as a topic of discussion
_without_ a release from you and thereby also notification to you so that
you could read and if need be take part.

Yes, common sense also suggests in this context of Chuck Hicks post that you
would get a release for posting in the newsgroup on asking and even that he
probably would not be angry if you didn't ask. But that is not a valid
reason for not doing it properly.

Hank, a release to another context can not be _assumed_ because of public
access, it has to be explicit. I think it highly relevant to adhere to that
here, if not we are to set good examples, then who are?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/3/2015 12:47 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
The common sense - and droit morale - angle: Consider the example of taking
the audio from one of your youtube videos and posting it for download, not
linking to it, posting it, on a debate forum as a topic of discussion
_without_ a release from you and thereby also notification to you so that
you could read and if need be take part.

That might be considered "fair use," at least under US copyright law.
If, for example, you were discussing the quality of YouTube videos, you
might post one as an example (as opposed to as entertainment).

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com