Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Buying "beats"

Frank Stearns wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:

No, I think it's merely a process of selection, and the fact that some people
have written music that is intended to be listened to and some have not.

Not sure I parse the last part of that enterily. If you're saying there are
classical music composers (often acedemics) who write stuff that is "classical
music" but stirs nothing in the listener and is in effect unlistenable, I would
agree 100%.

I kind of divide music into two categories: music that is designed to be
listened to, and music that is designed to sit there in the background.

The first would include Mozart and the Sex Pistols. The second would include
Salieri and Satie, D'Indy and Puff Daddy.

There's nothing dishonorable about either category, but from a production
category you need to think about what the music is for before you can think
about how it should be presented.

Although I find most of John Cage's work unlistenable, it's clearly music
that is intended to be listened to and studied so as to define the edges of
what music really is.

I'm still trying to figure out which category the Grateful Dead belong in.

And while Michael Jackson has done some solid performances of some catchy
tunes, he's no Sun Ra. I think he's the Victor Herbert of his era, and
to be honest that's not a bad thing to be at all.

Various parties are still fighting over the estate (or its debts), last I heard.

That's the secret to life, dying before the bills come due...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "It's not because the others don't object (strongly) to the "loudness wars". It's because your apparent total and seemingly un-educatable lack of understanding of the causes and mechanisms. "

The causes? The artists or labels want their album as loud as possible.

The mechanisms? Process away as much of the loudest parts, apply makeup gain to 'what's left'.

What's so difficult to understand about that? You guys just like to argue with others, it seems.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

polymod wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote in message

He talks to the mirror and calls it dialog.

Man, if that ain't a line from a song, it should be.

Poly

Thank you. Maybe it will be. ;-)

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

John Williamson wrote:

On 05/01/2015 22:33, wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote: skrev i en meddelelse
OMG, you ARE an idiot. You wanted filtering, a proper newsreader will give
you filtering. And that could explain why you get fewer followups the more
crap you post.

Peter Larsen "

No, I'm not an idiot. I just did not get the context in which you made
your "get a real news reader" comment. I thought you were criticizing
the clarity of my replies via non-desktop means.

As far as the 'crap' I post, that is on you to validate or invalidate as
such.

There's no need to validate your posts as crap. They are *all* total,
complete and utter unmitigated rubbish, none of which makes any sense.

If you were to read your posts out loud before posting, you would hear
just how daft they sound when read by others. (And there are some on
this newsgroup who have to use screenreaders to follow it, as they can't
see the screen to read it.)

The "Get a real news reader" comment means that you need to stop using
Google Groups, which has a very poor interface and no facilities to
control what you see. You keep reporting posts to Google for blocking of
the poster. If you used a real newsreader program, you could block any
poster you wish yourself with a couple of mouse clicks.

Only if he coud get the mouse to hold still long enough to click it.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 1:42:22 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I kind of divide music into two categories: music that is designed to be
listened to, and music that is designed to sit there in the background.

The first would include Mozart and the Sex Pistols. The second would include
Salieri and Satie, D'Indy and Puff Daddy.

There's nothing dishonorable about either category, but from a production
category you need to think about what the music is for before you can think
about how it should be presented.

I think there's at least one more category which may overlap your others: music meant for a specific purpose, like music for a folks dance or work songs to keep a group in rhythm with one another. Neither is exactly listened to, but neither is exactly *not* listened to.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rasta Robert wrote: "Even on google groups you could
properly format your posts without
whole paragraphs running on, and running
offscreen, and not properly
getting quoted as a result, by using the return
key after every 70 or so characters. That would at
least make the form less annoying."

(separate paragraph to follow)

Oh I get it now - format is more important to
some of you than the message itself. Figures,
in this 21st century where appearances and
initial impressions trump all other criteria, including
but not limited to common sense.

And remember: "It's Boo-KAY, nawt Bucket!"

smh...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

skrev i en meddelelse

Rasta Robert wrote: "Even on google groups you could
properly format your posts without
whole paragraphs running on, and running
offscreen, and not properly
getting quoted as a result, by using the return
key after every 70 or so characters. That would at
least make the form less annoying."

(separate paragraph to follow)

If you do it right software can help the reader. So stop scolding those that
try to help you.

regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

wrote in message
Rasta Robert wrote: "Even on google groups you could
properly format your posts without
whole paragraphs running on, and running
offscreen, and not properly
getting quoted as a result, by using the return
key after every 70 or so characters. That would at
least make the form less annoying."

(separate paragraph to follow)

Oh I get it now -

No, you obviously don't get it, probably because you're too much of a
dumb ****.

format is more important to
some of you than the message itself.

Such utter bull**** shows that you don't get it. You insist on proving
that you're a ****ing idiot, and you are STILL too stupid to
understand why you should get a real newsreader (and probably a
grown-up keyboard) instead of your little toddler interface from the
play room.

And remember:

And remember, li'l short-bus Krissie is a dumb ****, and so damn proud
of it that he has to prove it over and over again

smh...

****ing retarded dumb ****, lifetime short-bus rider. How ****ing
stupid is it to spend five years in community college to get an
associate's degree? How much more stupid is it to put that fact
(including the five years it took) on your resume. No wonder you have
such a hard time getting hired to clean toilets. Barely got a two-year
degree after five years, and it's on your resume. What a dumb ****!

A little web research by a potential hirer would reveal you bragging,
right here on Usenet, that you didn't actually earn the degree in five
years; they just promoted you out because they couldn't stand you or
your idiocy any more. What kind of a dumb **** would boast about that?
The-K-boy-krapshispants, that's who. Certified short-bus ****-eating
dumb ****.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/01/2015 12:35, Peter Larsen wrote:
skrev i en meddelelse

Rasta Robert wrote: "Even on google groups you could
properly format your posts without
whole paragraphs running on, and running
offscreen, and not properly
getting quoted as a result, by using the return
key after every 70 or so characters. That would at
least make the form less annoying."

(separate paragraph to follow)

If you do it right software can help the reader. So stop scolding those that
try to help you.

And when he's got that sorted out, maybe he could do something about the
content?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote: "7:48 AMJohn Williamson
And when he's got that sorted out, maybe he
could do something about the content?

You still haven't proven what's wrong with
what I have to say about issues I'm
concerned about.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

the-k-toddler-****s-his-pants @ kretinmail-dot-dumb**** com wrote in
message ...
On a moderated forum I could just block this ...

Whether you can block any thread has nothing to do with whether the
forum is moderated. It has to do with whether you use a grown-up
interface (you don't, you use a toy), and whether you know how to use
it (you don't, because you're a moron). People keep telling you to use
a real newsreader, but you are too stupid to understand why and how
you should do that, so you just keep whining like the whining moron
that you will always be.

Better yet, it would have been locked or completely removed at least
ten replies ago!

Better yet, you would have been banned long ago for being a ****stain.
The only reason you're here is that it's not moderated, so you can
keep coming here to crap all over the newsgroup.

Stupidest f'king thing I ever heard...

Pretty much everything you spew is much stupider. Several people have
tried to explain this to you, but you don't get it ... too stupid.

Just WHO are you referring to as 'dumb ****';?!:"

You, K-brat, you're a dumb ****. As you keep proving. You're the one
he's calling a dumb ****, and rightly so.

(btw I reported that post hank)

Who did you report him to? Your mommy? Did you write, "Dear Google, I
know you don't care, but someone called me a dumb ****, and I have to
be a tattle-tale. Signed, Dumb **** Kozicki, lifelong dumb ****."

So now you're telling me I don't know what Usenet is ...

Well, that's because you keep coming to Usenet and proving that you
don't understand what it is. If you understood what Usenet is, you
wouldn't make dumb-**** posts about "reporting" other posts. Only a
dumb **** who doesn't know what Usenet is would try to "report" a
Usenet post, and only an even dumber **** would actually broadcast
what a dumb **** he is by bragging about "reporting" a post, because
that's just bragging about being a dumb **** who doesn't know what
Usenet is.=

... just like you told me I don't understand what the loudness war
is.

Whoomp, there it is! Being the dumb **** that you are, you get back on
your festering hobby horse! It's clear that you don't know what the
loudness war is. It's clear from all the dumb **** posts you make
about it. And more dumb****ery to come, no doubt.

So what the f- else don't I know about: how to PEE?

You've shown yourself to be such a moronic dumb **** that there's
probably some doubt.

And in general, what is this 'say your posts out loud' you people
have been echoing in this thread?

I guess you're just too much of a dumb **** to understand. It's
probably not worth it for you to try to understand. You're just too
stupid.

I speak in broad, conceptual terms, rather than bogging myself down
in mathematical or technical details, to get my points across

You post ill-informed idiocy, and when people try to correct you, you
just flail your arms and rant about it and insult them. The only
points you get across are that you're an idiot, and a moron, and an
asshole. Oh yeah, and a dumb ****.

For example, I am at odds with nearly everyone on R.A.P, Gearslutz,
Head Fi, or any other moderated or unmoderated audio forum,
regarding the loudness war in recorded music. That is not due to
any lack of understanding of WHY this war exists, but due to my
broader, non-nitpicking statements about it.

The reasons why you're at odds have been explained to you in painful
detail, and in terms a child could understand. But not a dumb ****
like you, being that you're not as bright as a typical six-year-old.
You keep claiming that you understand about the loudness wars, and
then you step in your own pile of **** and prove that you are
completely clueless. And then you refuse to understand why people on
moderated groups don't like you. The main reasons are that you have no
idea what you're talking about (preferring to deny your ignorance
rather than correcting it), because you're a moronic dumb****, and
that you won't follow the rules, because you're a moronic asshole.

The monkey **** that you've smeared all over this thread (and your
face) just provides more evidence that you're a dumb**** and an
asshole. Short-bus rider for life.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

wrote in message
John Williamson wrote: "7:48 AMJohn Williamson
And when he's got that sorted out, maybe he
could do something about the content?

You still haven't proven what's wrong with
what I have to say about issues I'm
concerned about.

Dozens of posters have done so, in many hundreds of posts. You must
have missed it because you're such a dumb ****. It must really suck
going through life being stupider than the dog**** you keep stepping
in.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

N0ne wrote: "The monkey **** that you've smeared
all over this thread (and your face) just provides
more evidence that you're a dumb**** and an"

I know who you are. You went to
school with me - DOOR SLAMMER.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil W wrote: "The guy just does not *want* to understand
anything the way it´s intended. "

Prove it. Go inside my brain and PROVE
I don't want learn.

As far as the loudness goes, all I did was
to present theories for additional contributing
factors to it. I never said they were thee
factors, but that together, with what others
have posted, have led to it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler wrote:

I think there's at least one more category which may overlap your others: m=
usic meant for a specific purpose, like music for a folks dance or work son=
gs to keep a group in rhythm with one another. Neither is exactly listened =
to, but neither is exactly *not* listened to.

I consider dance music to be music you listen to... although what you listen
to might be the beat more than the melody. Maybe work songs fit into that
category too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey: "work songs"

Classic rock? Here in the states
a classic rock radio station - 104.3 WAXQ -
plays "work force blocks", artists like BTO,
Boston, Stones, Doobie Brothers, and
Steve Miller band.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler wrote:

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 1:42:22 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I kind of divide music into two categories: music that is designed to be
listened to, and music that is designed to sit there in the background.

The first would include Mozart and the Sex Pistols. The second would
include Salieri and Satie, D'Indy and Puff Daddy.

There's nothing dishonorable about either category, but from a
production category you need to think about what the music is for before
you can think about how it should be presented.

I think there's at least one more category which may overlap your others:
music meant for a specific purpose, like music for a folks dance or work
songs to keep a group in rhythm with one another. Neither is exactly
listened to, but neither is exactly *not* listened to.

Peace,
Paul

I think Grateful Dead music spans the listen-to and dance-to categories.
There are some marvelous lyrics and some big grooves.

I recall an interview with a guy from Garage Mahal, wherein he was asked
about listeners versus dancers, and he replied that the dancers could be
listening to content as deeply or moreso than the listeners.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

skrev i en meddelelse

fixing it for ya

Phil W wrote:

The guy just does not *want* to understand
anything the way it´s intended. "

Prove it. Go inside my brain and PROVE
I don't want learn.

You're still posting from google groups.

- Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Neil wrote:
On 1/6/2015 2:42 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Although I find most of John Cage's work unlistenable, it's clearly music
that is intended to be listened to and studied so as to define the edges of
what music really is.

Cage is not all that close to the edge! I don't find his music any more
challenging to listen to than Stockhausen, and not nearly as complex as
Subotnick or the musical sound track of "Forbidden Planet", a couple of
examples that I actually enjoy and has lead to much study and emulation
of content and style.

Some of his work is that way, but he also has consciously spent a lot of
time trying to find the edge with works like Water Walk.

I'm not sure if a lot of Stockhausen's work is music either. But then,
I am not sure I really know where that edge is.

I'm still trying to figure out which category the Grateful Dead belong in.

I would place the 'Dead along with musicians like Sun Ra in a category
of music that depends heavily on improvisation as well as composition
and is intended to be experienced live.

That would make it music to be listened to carefully, then.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

skrev i en meddelelse

fixing it for ya

Phil W wrote:

The guy just does not *want* to understand
anything the way it´s intended. "

Prove it. Go inside my brain and PROVE
I don't want learn.

You're still posting from google groups.

- Peter Larsen

ˆš

Done.

Next?

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote: "You're still posting from google groups."

I'm going to say this in context of something you said
earlier, about not trashing those who are trying to help.

Telling someone to change their method of accessing
Usenet does not FEEL helpful to me. I took some others'
advice on here about controlling the character length of my
lines, and am putting that into practice.

The fact is, I can, via Google Groups(as much as some
traditional Usenet users despise it!) read what they wrote
and respond to it. And that's the important thing.

"Kind regards"
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote: "though it would save you work. Unless
you're using a public or work terminal, not your own computer,
and you have no choice about using
Google Groups, of course.

Jeez, it's like I'm the only person this distance from the sun
using Google Groups, it bothers you that much.

Now that it's a *little* easier to read my posts, and whom
they are in response to, let's get back to topic.

Oh and another thing, I'm also sick n tired of being told I
"don't understand" or "don't want to" understand the
Loudness War. When I ask "What precisely do I not get?"
everyone here, except for one stalker who apparently
knows me personally, folds up like two-dollar suitcases
and won't cite examples!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:26:23 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Scott Dorsey: "work songs"

Classic rock? Here in the states
a classic rock radio station - 104.3 WAXQ -
plays "work force blocks", artists like BTO,
Boston, Stones, Doobie Brothers, and
Steve Miller band.

That's interesting; I've just gone through a spell of having my neighbor's house get tuckpointed. The crew worked all day with the local Classic-Rock station up loud. Someday someone will write a doctoral dissertation on the use of Classic Rock music as background for blue-collar labor. I know that the place I most often hear it is at the car-repair shop or in instances like my tuckpointing neighbor. Sometimes I think there should be a discussion for recording engineers on mixing and mastering Classic Rock for construction site playback. (I'm not kidding.)

But when I brought work songs into the discussion I had in mind songs like this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1341 00,d.aWw

In other words, songs where the beat is used to keep a group working together. They seem to exist in most cultures.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/01/2015 2:08 a.m., None wrote:
the-k-toddler-****s-his-pants @ kretinmail-dot-dumb**** com wrote in
message ...
On a moderated forum I could just block this ...

Whether you can block any thread has nothing to do with whether the
forum is moderated. It has to do with whether you use a grown-up
interface (you don't, you use a toy),

Hey give him a breask. He seems to have recently learned about the
line-length thing. For a while at least ....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

PStamler wrote:

In other words, songs where the beat is used to keep a group working together. They seem to exist in most cultures.

I wonder where the music from the disco era movie "Car Wash" would fit in:
"beat keeping a group working together"...or "working-group helping a beat keep
together"?

Concerning music made for a specific purpose, I'm considering a business plan
for recording yelling little kids in an old, reverberant, indoor swimming-pool;
deliberately driving the levels into clipping; compressing the mix into aerosol
containers, and hawking them down at the local street market as high tech paint
stripper :-)
--
Tom McCreadie

"Music is the greatest silent force in the world." - Lionel Richie
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Neil wrote:
On 1/6/2015 2:42 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Although I find most of John Cage's work unlistenable, it's clearly
music that is intended to be listened to and studied so as to
define the edges of what music really is.

Cage is not all that close to the edge! I don't find his music any
more challenging to listen to than Stockhausen, and not nearly as
complex as Subotnick or the musical sound track of "Forbidden
Planet", a couple of examples that I actually enjoy and has lead to
much study and emulation of content and style.

Some of his work is that way, but he also has consciously spent a lot
of time trying to find the edge with works like Water Walk.

I'm not sure if a lot of Stockhausen's work is music either. But
then, I am not sure I really know where that edge is.

There's probably more than one edge.

I'm still trying to figure out which category the Grateful Dead
belong in.

I would place the 'Dead along with musicians like Sun Ra in a
category of music that depends heavily on improvisation as well as
composition and is intended to be experienced live.

That would make it music to be listened to carefully, then.

Improvisation takes on many forms, some require a lot of attention, others
not so much. For me, The 'Dead are in the latter. They build a nice groove
that is easy to consume. Sun Ra, McCoy Tyner, Ornette Coleman, John
Coltrane, et al are more "heady" in their improvisations, and sometimes hang
out over the edge for a while. Gabriella Montero is one of my favorite
improvisational players. Her music is quite easy to listen to, but at the
same time is quite structurally sophisticated. I'm fortunate to have
experienced all of these players live, and while their recordings are good,
they differ quite a bit from the live performances. But, that just leads me
to a different kind of appreciation.
--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

the-kdumm****-drools @ monkeymail-dot-dumb**** wrote in message
N0ne wrote: "The monkey **** that you've smeared
all over this thread (and your face) just provides
more evidence that you're a dumb**** and an"

I know who you are.

You've already made that claim, more than once. You said that you know
I am "hank alrich". As usual, you're totally wrong. Then you said that
you know I am "Nil". As usual, you're totally wrong. .

You went to
school with me - DOOR SLAMMER.

.... so now you think I went to school with me. Batting zero with your
predictions, dumb****.

And you seem to have some pus-oozing festering grudge against someone
who slammed a door in your face long ago. Probably because you were
being an insufferable dumb****. Was that in junior high? Or was it
during your five-year struggle with an attempt at a junior college
associates degree? Hehe.

You have no idea who I am. I can tell you that, as far as I know, we
have never met in person, but you have trouble comprehending simple
facts, so you can have your own version of reality. Dumb****.

When are you going to live up to your threats, and "report" me to
Google, Interpol, and your mommy? And then get all indignant (or is
that indigent and ignorant) when someone points out that you have no
idea how Usenet works, or peak metering, or mastering, or pretty much
any subject at all. Have you ever actually read any of the stinking
bat**** that you've posted here? People who read your vomit know a lot
about exactly who you are, and how much you refuse to learn. The more
you post, the more you prove it, and dozens of other posters have said
likewise. If you don't want everyone in the group to know what a
dumb**** you are, continual denials won't do the trick. You only give
more evidence, with every post, of what a dumb**** you are.

Your best bet is to **** off out of here and never come back. Then,
eventually, pretty much everyone will forget what a cheesebrain you
are. Or, you could just keep reminding us all. Maybe that's really the
best you can do. Dumb****.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

skrev i en meddelelse

The fact is, I can, via Google Groups(as much as some
traditional Usenet users despise it!) read what they wrote
and respond to it. And that's the important thing.

An understandable viewpoint, but do you want your posts read?

"Kind regards"

Kind regards

Peter Larsen