Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Role of Production(Recording, Mixing, & Mastering) in Creating aGreat Record

It all starts with good writing & composition, great authors as one guy pointed out to me, and rehearsal, rehearsal, rehearsal(!) But how much of a role does the engineering side play in producing something that wins Grammys, or at least, becomes a standard for decades on?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 4/12/2014 10:55 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
The first CD I ever bought was "Hotel California". I thought it
was a bad pressing all those years. Nope. All the ugly
was apparently *tracked* that way.

Er bad pressings were common in the days of vinyl. But you actually
thought a CD that managed to play properly was a "bad pressing" because
it sounded off?

I will admit however to thinking some of my vinyl were bad pressings
because of very high distortion, until I got CD copies that were the
same :-(

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
On 4/12/2014 10:55 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
The first CD I ever bought was "Hotel California". I thought it
was a bad pressing all those years. Nope. All the ugly
was apparently *tracked* that way.

Er bad pressings were common in the days of vinyl. But you actually
thought a CD that managed to play properly was a "bad pressing" because
it sounded off?

I had heard it only on vinyl up to that point, and thought that the CD
was going to sound significantly different.

It didn't. Of course you lost all the surface noise and such.

I will admit however to thinking some of my vinyl were bad pressings
because of very high distortion, until I got CD copies that were the
same :-(

Exactly.

Trevor.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargil wrote: "I had heard it only on vinyl up to that point, and thought that the CD
was going to sound significantly different.

It didn't. Of course you lost all the surface noise and such. "

It didn't because they used the same/existing source as for vinyl - as was the case many time during the early CD days.

They could have made some changes, like not summing the bass end to mono(for vinyl), but they were probably in a rush to get the catalog out on these new shiny contraptions.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Les Cargill wrote:

The first CD I ever bought was "Hotel California". I thought it
was a bad pressing all those years. Nope. All the ugly
was apparently *tracked* that way.

The top end was knocked down a bit on the LP, which made it much more
listenable, but the harshness of the PCM1610 just made the early CD
release even more screechy than the original.

This is a classic "cocaine mix" and you will find the same tonal issues on
a lot of major releases from that era for the same substance-related reasons.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 12/4/2014 10:09 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:

The first CD I ever bought was "Hotel California". I thought it
was a bad pressing all those years. Nope. All the ugly
was apparently *tracked* that way.

The top end was knocked down a bit on the LP, which made it much more
listenable, but the harshness of the PCM1610 just made the early CD
release even more screechy than the original.

This is a classic "cocaine mix" and you will find the same tonal issues on
a lot of major releases from that era for the same substance-related reasons.
--scott

What's a cocaine mix? What is it about cocaine that causes the problem?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Les Cargill wrote:

The first CD I ever bought was "Hotel California". I thought it
was a bad pressing all those years. Nope. All the ugly
was apparently *tracked* that way.

The top end was knocked down a bit on the LP, which made it much more
listenable, but the harshness of the PCM1610 just made the early CD
release even more screechy than the original.

This is a classic "cocaine mix" and you will find the same tonal issues
on a lot of major releases from that era for the same substance-related
reasons. --scott

What's a cocaine mix? What is it about cocaine that causes the problem?

How it messes up your perception of high frequencies. You will want
MORE, just like you "need" more cocaine.

I have been in the studio with famous producer-engineers who broke out
the blow at the start of mixdown and referred to it as "mixing powder".
The end result is almost always ugly.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

Les Cargill wrote:

The top end was knocked down a bit on the LP, which made it much more
listenable, but the harshness of the PCM1610 just made the early CD
release even more screechy than the original.

I maintain that the reason early CD's sounded so bad wasn't so much
because of the converters but because the eq'd safety masters made
when the original laquers were cut got used for the CD masters instead
of the original master reels. I'm assuming ignorance on the part of
some individual(s) for these errors becaue it happened more than once.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:

The top end was knocked down a bit on the LP, which made it much more
listenable, but the harshness of the PCM1610 just made the early CD
release even more screechy than the original.

I maintain that the reason early CD's sounded so bad wasn't so much
because of the converters but because the eq'd safety masters made
when the original laquers were cut got used for the CD masters instead
of the original master reels. I'm assuming ignorance on the part of
some individual(s) for these errors becaue it happened more than once.

There were a LOT of reasons why early CDs sounded bad, and that was one
of them. But the original converters were pretty dreadful too. And
all the cocaine didn't help either... remember the CD was introduced at
about the same time crack did....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 5/12/2014 12:13 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
Trevor wrote:
On 4/12/2014 10:55 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
The first CD I ever bought was "Hotel California". I thought it
was a bad pressing all those years. Nope. All the ugly
was apparently *tracked* that way.

Er bad pressings were common in the days of vinyl. But you actually
thought a CD that managed to play properly was a "bad pressing" because
it sounded off?

I had heard it only on vinyl up to that point, and thought that the CD
was going to sound significantly different.

It didn't. Of course you lost all the surface noise and such.

I will admit however to thinking some of my vinyl were bad pressings
because of very high distortion, until I got CD copies that were the
same :-(

Exactly.

Right, two different things. Bad CD pressings usually don't play
properly. Bad vinyl pressings can be noisy, distorted, warp wow, skip
etc. If a CD simply sounds crook, it's almost certainly not the pressing
as you originally thought.

Trevor.
\

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
[...]

__________
True - it could be the mastering.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Rick Ruskin wrote:
I maintain that the reason early CD's sounded so bad wasn't so much
because of the converters but because the eq'd safety masters made
when the original laquers were cut got used for the CD masters instead
of the original master reels. I'm assuming ignorance on the part of
some individual(s) for these errors becaue it happened more than once.

I have loads of superb sounding early CDs. Compared to the LPs of the same
material, that is.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Klay Anderson[_2_] Klay Anderson[_2_] is offline

On Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:46:17 PM UTC-7, hank alrich wrote:

I have been in the studio with famous producer-engineers who broke out
the blow at the start of mixdown and referred to it as "mixing powder".
The end result is almost always ugly.

That's what I used to call a "balanced line". Half the producer and half for me.

Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
On Friday, December 5, 2014 9:22:26 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Pre-emphasis didn't actually become a problem until fifteen or twenty
years later when people started playing discs on machines that didn't
know how to deal with the emphasis bit.

Is that why WAVS and mp3s ripped from my older CDs onto my modern computer sound like they have too much top?

Maybe, but probably not, because so few folks actually used the emphasis.
But, get a bitscope application and look and see if the emphasis bits are
set. Every once in a while you will find a CD that uses it.

If you look at the archives from this newsgroup back in the early nineties,
you'll hear me arguing in favor of emphasis and Gabe Wiener arguing against
it. It's true that by that time, converters had improved to the point where
the benefit was not as substantial as they had been a decade earlier.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, December 5, 2014 1:43:18 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
om wrote:
On Friday, December 5, 2014 9:22:26 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Pre-emphasis didn't actually become a problem until fifteen or twenty
years later when people started playing discs on machines that didn't
know how to deal with the emphasis bit.

Is that why WAVS and mp3s ripped from my older CDs onto my modern computer sound like they have too much top?

Maybe, but probably not, because so few folks actually used the emphasis.
But, get a bitscope application and look and see if the emphasis bits are
set. Every once in a while you will find a CD that uses it.

If you look at the archives from this newsgroup back in the early nineties,
you'll hear me arguing in favor of emphasis and Gabe Wiener arguing against
it. It's true that by that time, converters had improved to the point where
the benefit was not as substantial as they had been a decade earlier.

So back then, emphasis in the digital realm *sort of* accomplished the same thing as Dolby B NR did on cassettes?

Also Scott I threw a few known early/original release CDs of mine into Exact Audio Copy and they all returned a NO in the Emphasis column. That leaves over 400 more to check, something I don't think is worth wasting time on. LOLOL

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

As everyone knew he would, , the moronic
monotonic one-trick phony, mounted his donkey of a hobbyhoese and
spake
True - it could be the mastering.

Woomp! There it is! Ride that hobbyhorse, li'l buckaroo!
Then please have a glass of milk and put your jammies on.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Dolby is a compression and expansion system. Dolby B divided the
frequency range into two bands and worked on each one individually.
Dolby A used four bands. Dolby SR effectively used a gazillion ( +/- a
few bazillion) bands.

I believe Dolby B is single band system.
And while the CD pre-emphasis curve shape - with its boost of ca. 0.4, 7.6 and
9.5 dB at respectively 1, 10 and 20kHz - does superficially resemble that of
(the maximum result of) Dolby B, it differs in not being level-dependent. The
pre-emphasis in Dolby only kicks in when the signal drops below a certain level,
with the amount of applied pre-emphasis thereafter progressively increasing as
the signal level drops..
--
Tom McCreadie

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 06/12/2014 13:02, Tom McCreadie wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

Dolby is a compression and expansion system. Dolby B divided the
frequency range into two bands and worked on each one individually.
Dolby A used four bands. Dolby SR effectively used a gazillion ( +/- a
few bazillion) bands.

I believe Dolby B is single band system.
And while the CD pre-emphasis curve shape - with its boost of ca. 0.4, 7.6 and
9.5 dB at respectively 1, 10 and 20kHz - does superficially resemble that of
(the maximum result of) Dolby B, it differs in not being level-dependent. The
pre-emphasis in Dolby only kicks in when the signal drops below a certain level,
with the amount of applied pre-emphasis thereafter progressively increasing as
the signal level drops..

Dolby B splits the audio into two bands, and then works only on the HF
end, while ignoring the bottom end, so from that point of view, it's a
two band system.

Dolby A, which was rare, IIRC was a single band system which applied
compression (At about a 2:1 ratio?)to the unmodified signal.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"John Williamson" skrev i en meddelelse

Dolby B splits the audio into two bands, and then works only on the HF
end, while ignoring the bottom end, so from that point of view, it's a two
band system.

Also my level of information in as much as the frequency response change for
the upper frequency audio was gradual.

Dolby A, which was rare, IIRC was a single band system which applied
compression (At about a 2:1 ratio?)to the unmodified signal.

That however is the description of dbx. My woefully poor recollection is
that dolby a had more bands, 4 comes to mind.

Tciao for Now!

John

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Mike Rivers wrote:
Dolby is a compression and expansion system. Dolby B divided the
frequency range into two bands and worked on each one individually.
Dolby A used four bands. Dolby SR effectively used a gazillion ( +/- a
few bazillion) bands.

Don't forget C - as used on Beta SP and MII linear tracks. Sort of doubled
up B.

Thinking again, perhaps best forgotten. ;-)

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 6/12/2014 1:22 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Hardly anyone used pre-emphasis (which is a shame because it made a
substantial improvement in the sound back then).

You are kidding right? The CD format has always had more than enough
capability (without pre-emphasis) to handle anything recorded on tape.
Any difference whatsoever in sound would be because the pre-emphasis was
not implemented or decoded correctly. Which is why it was hardly ever
used and soon forgotten completely. The pre-emphasis absolutely
necessary for tape of course is a different thing altogether.

Early converters had a lot of linearity problems, and the end result was
somewhat unpleasant high end. Remember this was the age of very long
ladder converters; if you recorded a 1kc tone at -60dBFS and played it
back, it sounded audibly buzzy (implying more than 2% distortion) on the
1610.

Pre-emphasis did a lot to reduce some of the high end distortion products
at the expense of a little dynamic range. The difference in sound on the
1610 (or even worse the SV3700) was quite audible.

Thank God those days are over.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:
Dolby B splits the audio into two bands, and then works only on the HF
end, while ignoring the bottom end, so from that point of view, it's a
two band system.

True, although there's still only one serial signal path, unlike SR.

Dolby A, which was rare, IIRC was a single band system which applied
compression (At about a 2:1 ratio?)to the unmodified signal.

Yes. Dolby A was not rare at all, though, it was in nearly every studio
in the country. (People also used the encoders as effects devices.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/6/2014 9:22 AM, John Williamson wrote:
Dolby A, which was rare, IIRC was a single band system which applied
compression (At about a 2:1 ratio?)to the unmodified signal.

Dolby A was the standard, at least here in the US. dbx noise reduction
was a broadband compressor and expander with an EQ curve thrown in for
good measure. There was Telcom that never got much traction but of
course that's the one that some people said was best. And also on the
consumer side, there was Dolby C (a better Dolby B) and Dolby S (a cheap
Dolby SR).

Dolby would sell B/C chips to anyone who wanted to put them in their
product and put the Dolby logo on it. They didn't make any attempt to
control the quality of the audio that went into and came out of the
processor, which is probably the greatest reason why it got a bad rap.
The hardware had to be qualified by meeting a set of specifications
before Dolby would supply S chips to a manufacturer, but it never got
very far since digital was getting a pretty good foothold by then.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

Dolby would sell B/C chips to anyone who wanted to put them in their product
and put the Dolby logo on it. They didn't make any attempt to control the
quality of the audio that went into and came out of the processor, which is
probably the greatest reason why it got a bad rap.

I'm not sure. Dolby B definitely dulled the sound (dbx did not), and I believe
this was due to a design flaw -- specifically, the peak limiter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

Dolby would sell B/C chips to anyone who wanted to put them in their product
and put the Dolby logo on it. They didn't make any attempt to control the
quality of the audio that went into and came out of the processor, which is
probably the greatest reason why it got a bad rap.

I'm not sure. Dolby B definitely dulled the sound (dbx did not), and I believe
this was due to a design flaw -- specifically, the peak limiter.

Dolby B could be pretty flat, if the signal path between encoding and decoding
was flat. Unfortunately it seldom was.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

So back then, emphasis in the digital realm *sort of* accomplished the same thing as Dolby B NR did on cassettes?

No, the notion was distortion reduction rather than noise reduction. (It
did change the noise spectrum as well but not really in a useful way.)

Also Scott I threw a few known early/original release CDs of mine into Exact Audio Copy and they all returned a NO in the Emphasis column. That leaves over 400 more to check, something I don't think is worth wasting time on. LOLOL

They exist, you will find one. I released a bunch of them. But they are
very much a drop in the bucket.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_10_] Chuck[_10_] is offline

On 6 Dec 2014 10:27:35 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

In article , Trevor wrote:
[...]

Some higher end CD players with Burr Brown DACs, in the mid 80s, had a
potentiometer that could be adjusted for minimum distortion on a low
level tone. Many times they were adjusted incorrectly out of the box.
As a courtesy to our customers, we would adjust the pots for minimum
distortion before the customer took the players home.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Also Scott I threw a few known early/original release CDs of mine into Exact Audio Copy and they all returned a NO in the Emphasis column. That leaves over 400 more to check, something I don't think is worth wasting time on. LOLOL

They exist, you will find one. I released a bunch of them. But they are
very much a drop in the bucket.
--scott

http://www.studio-nibble.com/cd/inde..._(release_list)

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
[...]

Don't blame the manufacturers - those pots were doing an essentially
impossible job. What you were seeing was not misalignment but drift.
Given a week or so, they would have been off by just as much again.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:05:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Also Scott I threw a few known early/original release CDs of mine into Exact Audio Copy and they all returned a NO in the Emphasis column. That leaves over 400 more to check, something I don't think is worth wasting time on. LOLOL

They exist, you will find one. I released a bunch of them. But they are
very much a drop in the bucket.
--scott

http://www.studio-nibble.com/cd/inde..._(release_list)

Mark

_________

Thanks Mark!

Seems to be a list for everything nowadays... Couple things I noticed about this list: #1. Most of the items on it were made outside of the U.S. for distribution outside of the U.S. Guess sound quality wasn't as much of an issue on early CDs & players inside of the U.S. as it was in other countries. #2. Of the 3 catalog #s I own that are on this list, Exact Audio Copy returned a "no" in the pre-emphasis column. The weirdest was the Jacksons' "Triumph", cat EK36424, US for US, with "unknown pressing" stated in the Notes column - WTF?! It was probably THEE pressing for sale in the United States! lmao..

All in all, I suspect that any of my CDs that do have emphasis fall under the "Suspected Missing PE" category, since programs like EAC are looking for the PE flag - not analyzing for actual emphasis curve. Guess inserting a PE flag was optional or they didn't care on some releases.

In any case, I'm still mystified as to why so many of my mp3s and lossless rips from my CDs are so 'top-heavy' compared to listening to the actual CD, that's why I initially suspected pre-emphasis that isn't accounted for by current ripping tools(Windows Media, iTunes, etc.).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10 Dec 2014 wrote:

Also Scott I threw a few known early/original release CDs of mine into Exact Audio Copy and they all returned a NO in the Emphasis column. That leaves over 400 more to check, something I don't think is worth wasting time on. LOLOL

They exist, you will find one. I released a bunch of them. But they are
very much a drop in the bucket.
--scott

http://www.studio-nibble.com/cd/inde..._(release_list)

That list was mainly pop/rock music. I think you'll find a lot more lurking out
there in classical genre.
For instance, doing a quick dip into a pile of classical cd's before me that
were made between 1980 and 1990, I found this one at only my 6th try :-):

Musica Svecia MSCD 626 (1990): "Serenad, Midvinter, Chitra";composer Wilhelm
Stenhammar; performed by The Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Choir.
--
Tom McCreadie