Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Marantz PMD670 CF Memory Card

I just picked up a Marantz PMD670 recorder that uses a CF memory card. The
recorder is in pristine condition. It has hardly been used. It came with a
Renesas 64MB card, which will record 6 minutes in wav. Today I received a
Kingston 16GB ultimate 266X card. The recorder formatted it as an 8GB card, but
it will not record to it. The record light just flashes.

The manual says that cards larger than 8GB have to be formatted in a computer,
so I formatted the card for the full 16GB in a computer. The card is fully
readable on that computer. When I put it back into the recorder, it's still a no-go.

What brands of CF cards are compatible with the PMD670? The posts I've seen on
the Internet suggest Lexar, SanDisk, and Kingston, but I'm unable to find any
posts suggested current brands that will work. It would be helpful to have at
least 8GB.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

I have no idea if they will work in your recorder, *but* Lexar, SanDisk, and
Kingston *are* all current brands. Obviously you already have a Kingston
card! :-)
Do you know what format the card expects though? Frankly I think you may be
better off getting an 8GB card if that's what the recorder can format. Or it
may be as simple as formatting FAT32 (or even FAT16) rather than NTFS in the
computer for example. Or perhaps it is even a unix format? I'm sure you can
find the info if you look.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:03:23 -0500 "mcp6453" wrote in
article

I just picked up a Marantz PMD670 recorder that uses a CF memory card. The
recorder is in pristine condition. It has hardly been used. It came with a
Renesas 64MB card, which will record 6 minutes in wav. Today I received a
Kingston 16GB ultimate 266X card. The recorder formatted it as an 8GB card, but
it will not record to it. The record light just flashes.

The manual says that cards larger than 8GB have to be formatted in a computer,
so I formatted the card for the full 16GB in a computer. The card is fully
readable on that computer. When I put it back into the recorder, it's still a no-go.

What brands of CF cards are compatible with the PMD670? The posts I've seen on
the Internet suggest Lexar, SanDisk, and Kingston, but I'm unable to find any
posts suggested current brands that will work. It would be helpful to have at
least 8GB.

I had one of those recorders. Try to track down firmware updates - that
made the difference with large cards for me.

Jason
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:35:06 -0500 "Jason" wrote
in article

[...]

Forgot: During the time I used it, I had cards from many vendors - they
all worked. Marantz customer support was helpful with the firmware
update.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/18/2013 6:03 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
I just picked up a Marantz PMD670 recorder that uses a CF memory card. The
recorder is in pristine condition. It has hardly been used. It came with a
Renesas 64MB card, which will record 6 minutes in wav. Today I received a
Kingston 16GB ultimate 266X card. The recorder formatted it as an 8GB card, but
it will not record to it. The record light just flashes.

That's a pretty old recorder as these things go, made when nobody could
imagine, or at least imagine paying for a 16GB memory card. Have you
checked to see if there's a firmware update that expands the memory
capacity? I think my Zoom H2, when it was new, couldn't accommodate
anything larger than 2 GB and a firmware update allows it to work with,
I think, up to an 8 GB card, but that was probably the last update.

You could try an 8 GB card. Buy it from someplace where you can return
it if it doesn't work in your recorder.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Just a tiny detail, my Zoom H2 is working quite happily with a 16GB
card. The *makers* say up to 8GB, but I suspect that's because when they
issued the update, 16GB cards were like Hens' teeth. I've yet to try it
with a 32GB card....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] marketing@ankaka.com is offline

For my experience,you need to purchase CF cards from reliable broker or online websites. It's easy for you to get not-full-capacity CF cards if you don't pay much attention to the seller. You might want to check these SD memory cards from ankaka.com. http://www.ankaka.com/Wholesale-memory-cards_c10069
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/18/2013 10:16 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Firmware updates have to be done by the company, based on what I've read. There
are plenty of posts about how fantastic Marantz support has been for others with
similar problems. In many cases, they update the firmware for free. Now it
appears that they have offloaded those tasks to Superscope Technologies. They
may be the same company.

I'm going to call them today to see if there is any hope for a firmware upgrade.
It would be worth spending a little, but if I'm going to spend a lot, I might as
well go new. One thing that appears to be the case is that Marantz is very
customer-oriented. If they help me with this old recorder, they're going to get
a very loyal customer, if they haven't already. (I've been using Marantz
professional equipment since the portable cassette days.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:41:38 -0500 "mcp6453" wrote in
article

[...]

I think they are the same company, or at least under the same corporate
umbrella.

Yes, there is a firmware update from a few years ago to allow it to use
32GB cards. It's free, but comes with dire warnings about how any hiccup
in the updating process will leave you with a brick.

Jason
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

wrote:
For my experience,you need to purchase CF cards from reliable broker or
online websites. It's easy for you to get not-full-capacity CF cards if
you don't pay much attention to the seller. You might want to check these
SD memory cards from ankaka.com.

Quoth the unknown vendor with an online website...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Jason" wrote in message
Yes, there is a firmware update from a few years ago to allow it to use
32GB cards. It's free, but comes with dire warnings about how any hiccup
in the updating process will leave you with a brick.

They all say that when reflashing EEPROMs. 95% of the time there is nothing
to worry about, they just don't want to accept responsibility for the other
times :-)
Companies that actually care use two now, with a method to restore from the
backup if something goes wrong. Common in the better motherboards now at
least. Not so much anywhere else yet :-(

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/19/2013 9:13 PM, Trevor wrote:
"Jason" wrote in message
Yes, there is a firmware update from a few years ago to allow it to use
32GB cards. It's free, but comes with dire warnings about how any hiccup
in the updating process will leave you with a brick.

They all say that when reflashing EEPROMs. 95% of the time there is nothing
to worry about, they just don't want to accept responsibility for the other
times :-)
Companies that actually care use two now, with a method to restore from the
backup if something goes wrong. Common in the better motherboards now at
least. Not so much anywhere else yet :-(

I got an RA from Marantz today. They're going to do the update for free and pay
return shipping. That's amazing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:05:45 -0500 "mcp6453" wrote in
article

"Jason" wrote in message
Yes, there is a firmware update from a few years ago to allow it to use
32GB cards. It's free, but comes with dire warnings about how any hiccup
in the updating process will leave you with a brick.

They all say that when reflashing EEPROMs. 95% of the time there is nothing
to worry about, they just don't want to accept responsibility for the other
times :-)
Companies that actually care use two now, with a method to restore from the
backup if something goes wrong. Common in the better motherboards now at
least. Not so much anywhere else yet :-(

I got an RA from Marantz today. They're going to do the update for free and pay
return shipping. That's amazing.

Even better! I and a friend with another one both had some minor
early issues and customer support was outstanding. Surprising these
days...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Ralph Barone wrote:

wrote:
For my experience,you need to purchase CF cards from reliable broker or
online websites. It's easy for you to get not-full-capacity CF cards if
you don't pay much attention to the seller. You might want to check these
SD memory cards from ankaka.com.

Quoth the unknown vendor with an online website...

Bonk!

http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] esteveroigpascual@gmail.com is offline

Hello.
I have a marantz PMD670 , and seeking information I have found this product .
Surely I have an older version of firmware.
Accepts only 1Gb memory cards . No accepts the 2Gb .
Can anyone send me a newest version of firmware?

Thank you

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] esteveroigpascual@gmail.com is offline

Thank you very much Geoff
On the website of d-mpro ( Denon ) there is a firmware for the PMD671 .
The PMD670 there is no information or firmware.
The PMD671 firmware serves the 670 ?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

On 15/12/2014 4:30 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:
On 12/12/2014 3:31 PM, wrote:
Hello.
I have a marantz PMD670 , and seeking information I have found this
product . Surely I have an older version of firmware. Accepts only 1Gb
memory cards . No accepts the 2Gb . Can anyone send me a newest version
of firmware?

Thank you

A couple of years ago, the company upgraded mine for free.
Unfortunately, the unit is still sensitive about which CF card to use.
Even though I used they one they recommended, I ended up with skips in
the audio for my daughter's wedding, which was unfortunate because my
safety recorded had a ground loop.

Hmmm .....

I have met two issues with cards. One is firmware of a device. The other
is whether or not the card can deal with data input fast enough for the
application.

I was given a Wintech SDHC card of 4GB with photos that had been copied
to the card from a computer. Sdaid just keep the card.

I offloaded the photos, and erased the card. I put it into an H2, and
formatted it therein. I used it to record the board feed of a show. i
enjoyed glitches every few seconds for the duration of the recording.

Back to SanDisk cards, and all went well.

The WT card works fine as long as it doesn't have catch a realtime data
stream of 24 bit 48KHz audio.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/14/2014 8:26 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:
... I always figured the systems would be a little
more graceful and let you know you really shouldn't use your class 4 card for HD
video with 96K sound... But that could be wishful thinking on my part.

The Cymatic LR-16 runs a verification test on new media when you connect
it for the first time. It actually writes and reads to the USB thumb
drive or hard drive, and won't let you record to it if it fails the
test. I had a couple of thumb drives that wouldn't pass, nor would a
hard drive in a USB case that worked fine in my Mackie HDR24/96. A
store-bought 2.5" USB hard drive worked fine. The Cymatic is kind of
fussy, or you could say "cautious."

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] esteveroigvideos@gmail.com is offline

Hello.
I have solved the problem.
I've got a more modern version of firmware , and I recognize the memory card 2Gb and 4Gb .
Thanks for everything.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:22:21 -0600 "hank alrich" wrote
in article

Make sure the chosen card will handle the data writing rate necessary
for realtime capture of audio. Some work fine while making a file
transfer, but fail in realtime use for recording. Been there and
suffered that.

An EE friend of mine who does a lot of work with nvram devices tells me
that to a first approximation ALL nvram products on eBay are counterfeit.

That said, I also had trouble with that same Denon recorder, using a
recommended card. One long track was nothing but white noise. On a lark,
I wondered if it might be an "off by one" sort of error. With a hex
editor, I was able to insert a single byte of zeros at the very beginning
of the .wav file samples data. It worked. A friend has the same
recorder. He'd had some issues but reports now that the firmware upgrade
fixed them. So far...

For Marantz PMD670 users... T Maki Pro Audio 0 November 18th 04 12:01 AM
2.2GB Microdrive/Marantz PMD670 Marc Heusser Pro Audio 0 November 17th 03 10:27 PM
Marantz PMD670 aanaddha Pro Audio 2 October 31st 03 03:52 PM
Marantz PMD670 Best Price? Nathan Pro Audio 0 August 21st 03 01:45 AM
Marantz PMD670 - anyone tried one yet? matt urban Pro Audio 0 July 19th 03 05:12 PM