Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Default Preventing/stopping feedback through microphone

On Thu 2012-Mar-29 20:30, Jeff Henig writes:
Sound reinforcement is not like turning on the TV set.

You wouldn't expect your church to hire a preacher whose only knowledge of
the job is that he once read about Jesus in a magazine, would you? But
thousands of churches bring on sound guys who have similar qualifications
regarding audio....

Unfortunately for many, there are quite a few who know the material
but have no knowledge of how to teach it.

INdeed, and other institutions and organizations as well.
The trouble is, some of these same folks will agonize over
the qualifications of somebody doing other work around the
physical plant, but when it comes to one of the most
important access, getting the meat of the program to the
butts in the seats they'll scrimp, and any old person who
can halfway wire the boxes together is qualified. I've seen church and school systems wired by a local electrician, a
guy who fixes tv sets, a former drug adled rock guitar
player, etc. Heck of it is, these guys spec the system too, with input from a bunch of other folks that don't know
sound. It took one church I was associated with three times upgrading to get it right, and this was a small church in a
stone building. Finally when I moved back to town as an
adult I helped them get it right. Thefirst two, they were a joke. I tried giving some advise on upgrade #2, but then
other hands got involved and I walked away from it.

And I've also seen some who*thought* they knew more, but showed that
they didn't. They don't generally stick around as long as the ones
who don't know how to run sound...

YEp, that's because they're willing, and they like the
position. Also, in some systems, it's such a rube goldberg
concoction that they're the only guy who can get any sound
at all out of it.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

Preventing/stopping feedback through microphone Mxsmanic Pro Audio 84 April 1st 12 10:40 AM
Pop stopping tanguero Pro Audio 21 November 12th 06 05:36 PM
preventing ground loops ceedub Pro Audio 13 July 14th 05 04:33 PM
Preventing theft Mike Cleaver Pro Audio 20 March 11th 04 03:14 AM
Preventing/Reducing Sibilance While Tracking? Ken Theriot Pro Audio 2 July 2nd 03 06:52 PM