Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik[_3_] Ron Capik[_3_] is offline

Default Is Sony Acid Pro a DAW program?

Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program. I'm thinking of
getting it, so I down loaded a demo copy.

I have a bunch of 6 track 24 bit wave files I'd like to
mix down. I can't seem to get Acid to open them.

Can anyone here tell me how to load them into Acid?
If not, why not. Also, if not then what is Acid good for?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong software.
==

Later...
Ron Capik
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ron Capik wrote:
Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program. I'm thinking of
getting it, so I down loaded a demo copy.

Acid is a looper. Dunno if you can make it DAW or not.

I have a bunch of 6 track 24 bit wave files I'd like to
mix down. I can't seem to get Acid to open them.

A bunch of six files, or a bunch of one file, 6-tracks? I
don't know of anything that reads those directly...

There's always libsndfile.

Can anyone here tell me how to load them into Acid?
If not, why not. Also, if not then what is Acid good for?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong software.
==

Later...
Ron Capik

Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/28/2012 10:06 PM, Trevor wrote:
"Ron wrote in message
Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program. I'm thinking of
getting it, so I down loaded a demo copy.

I have a bunch of 6 track 24 bit wave files I'd like to
mix down. I can't seem to get Acid to open them.
Can anyone here tell me how to load them into Acid?

Split them into six wave files, Acid should open them then.

If not, why not. Also, if not then what is Acid good for?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong software.

You might find Vegas or Sound Forge more what you are after, (or not :-)

Trevor.

I've been using Sound Forge for a number of years.
Main drawback is that it doesn't interface to a control
surface. I always thought of Vegas as audio/video, and
I'm not in to video at all.

Splitting the file in to 6 mono files is a pain in the ass.
The file(s) load in to Sound Forge just fine. If SF worked
with a control surface it would be great.
==

Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/28/2012 9:30 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
Ron Capik wrote:
Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program. I'm thinking of
getting it, so I down loaded a demo copy.

Acid is a looper. Dunno if you can make it DAW or not.

I have a bunch of 6 track 24 bit wave files I'd like to
mix down. I can't seem to get Acid to open them.

A bunch of six files, or a bunch of one file, 6-tracks? I
don't know of anything that reads those directly...

There's always libsndfile.

Can anyone here tell me how to load them into Acid?
If not, why not. Also, if not then what is Acid good for?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong software.
==

Later...
Ron Capik

Les Cargill

Wave files can have [nearly] any number of tracks.
I have a large number of live show multi-track dumps
from an ADAT. Someday I'd like to mix them down.

Sound Forge has no problem opening multi-track
wave files, but has no control surface interface for
mix down...

Acid can do multi-tracks and control surfaces.
Odd that it can't open these files.
==

Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ron Capik wrote:
Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program. I'm thinking of
getting it, so I down loaded a demo copy.

Acid is a looper. Dunno if you can make it DAW or not.

I have a bunch of 6 track 24 bit wave files I'd like to
mix down. I can't seem to get Acid to open them.

A bunch of six files, or a bunch of one file, 6-tracks? I
don't know of anything that reads those directly...

There's always libsndfile.

Can anyone here tell me how to load them into Acid?
If not, why not. Also, if not then what is Acid good for?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong software.
==

Later...
Ron Capik

Les Cargill

Wave files can have [nearly] any number of tracks.

I know. Most software doesn't handle more than two
tracks per file.

I have a large number of live show multi-track dumps
from an ADAT. Someday I'd like to mix them down.

Sound Forge has no problem opening multi-track
wave files, but has no control surface interface for
mix down...

Ach....

Acid can do multi-tracks and control surfaces.
Odd that it can't open these files.
==

Later...
Ron Capik

Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik[_3_] Ron Capik[_3_] is offline

On 3/28/2012 11:47 PM, Trevor wrote:
"Ron wrote in message
...snip...

Splitting the file in to 6 mono files is a pain in the ass.
The file(s) load in to Sound Forge just fine.

Automate it in Sound Forge then. Having them in seperate files lets you use
them in *far* more software.

Trevor.

I'm confused. Automate what "it" to do what
in Sound Forge, ...and how?
[Are you talking about that cryptic scripting stuff?]

Then too, I don't have (nor am currently aware of)
any of the "*far* more software" that you speak of.
==

Later...
Ron Capik
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Ron Capik" wrote in message
I've been using Sound Forge for a number of years.
Main drawback is that it doesn't interface to a control
surface. I always thought of Vegas as audio/video, and
I'm not in to video at all.

Well it is a very good video with audio editor, but also a passable
multitrack audio only editor, depending on your needs. Certainly NOT the
best around, but it does work with control surfaces since that's what you
want.

Splitting the file in to 6 mono files is a pain in the ass.
The file(s) load in to Sound Forge just fine.

Automate it in Sound Forge then. Having them in seperate files lets you use
them in *far* more software.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Ron Capik wrote:
Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program. I'm thinking of
getting it, so I down loaded a demo copy.

I have a bunch of 6 track 24 bit wave files I'd like to
mix down. I can't seem to get Acid to open them.

Can anyone here tell me how to load them into Acid?
If not, why not. Also, if not then what is Acid good for?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong software.

Clearly explained in the manual and the apps Help.

Yes, Acid, as well as looping etc, is a DAW. You can get the WAVs onto the
timeline by many methods - simply drag onto the timeline with the internal
(or external Win Explorer), or File|Open.

But you are limited to mono or stereo WAV files for source media (mixes down
fine to 5.1 though). If you have a multi-channel WAV file, you'll need to
split it into separate files first.

SF can edit multi-channel WAVs , but is not a DAW but an Audio Editor, and
does not have mixdown functions.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Trevor wrote:
"Ron Capik" wrote in message
I've been using Sound Forge for a number of years.
Main drawback is that it doesn't interface to a control
surface. I always thought of Vegas as audio/video, and
I'm not in to video at all.

Well it is a very good video with audio editor, but also a passable
multitrack audio only editor, depending on your needs. Certainly NOT
the best around, but it does work with control surfaces since that's
what you want.

Vegas is my (audio) DAW app of choice. As intuitive and slick-to-use as you
can get, and has done things for years that SlowTools still doesn't !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Ron Capik" wrote in message
Splitting the file in to 6 mono files is a pain in the ass.
The file(s) load in to Sound Forge just fine.

Automate it in Sound Forge then. Having them in seperate files lets you
use
them in *far* more software.

I'm confused. Automate what "it" to do what
in Sound Forge, ...and how?

Open the multi-channel files and save them as mono wave files.

[Are you talking about that cryptic scripting stuff?]

Yes.

Then too, I don't have (nor am currently aware of)
any of the "*far* more software" that you speak of.

It's your choice to decide what you want to do, or need obviously.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
Well it is a very good video with audio editor, but also a passable
multitrack audio only editor, depending on your needs. Certainly NOT
the best around, but it does work with control surfaces since that's
what you want.

Vegas is my (audio) DAW app of choice. As intuitive and slick-to-use as
you can get, and has done things for years that SlowTools still doesn't !

Yep very good at what it does, especially video with multi-track audio. And
the click to open a file from the timeline in Soundforge really helps, but
that means rendering those changes though.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Trevor wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
Well it is a very good video with audio editor, but also a passable
multitrack audio only editor, depending on your needs. Certainly NOT
the best around, but it does work with control surfaces since that's
what you want.

Vegas is my (audio) DAW app of choice. As intuitive and
slick-to-use as you can get, and has done things for years that
SlowTools still doesn't !

Yep very good at what it does, especially video with multi-track
audio.

And just as good with just multi-track audio. You can switch off all the
video-related windows.

And the click to open a file from the timeline in Soundforge
really helps, but that means rendering those changes though.

No - use "Open....' rather than 'Open Copy.... ' - then you simply 'Save'
the file from SF (or your editor of choice), and the changes appear directly
in the Vegas event. .

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
Yep very good at what it does, especially video with multi-track
audio.

And just as good with just multi-track audio. You can switch off all the
video-related windows.

Sure, but it's still fairly clunky for audio editing compared to some.

And the click to open a file from the timeline in Soundforge
really helps, but that means rendering those changes though.

No - use "Open....' rather than 'Open Copy.... ' - then you simply 'Save'
the file from SF (or your editor of choice), and the changes appear
directly in the Vegas event. .

That *IS* re-rendering the file when saved, not simply an EDL edit.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/28/2012 8:14 PM, Ron Capik wrote:

Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program.

I went to a private press briefing (they even bought lunch)
of ACID in its more or less most current version (this was
at a San Francisco AES maybe 4 years ago) when they were
pushing it as being a friendly and full fledged DAW program.
I was impressed with the layout of its mixer view and that
seemed like it would be a comfortable way for me, a DAW
protester, to learn how to use it.

I was going to review it for Pro Audio Review. I failed
miserably, and eventually gave up. I suppose I just wasn't
willing to put hours and hours into learning its vocabulary
- it wasn't intuitive enough to get my interest quickly.
Further, I never got accustomed to how many mouse clicks it
took to find the mixer controls I was looking for. But then
I have this same problem with every DAW that I've ever
tried. Monitors just aren't big enough to display a full set
of channel strips, and that's what I want. Your mileage, and
patience, may differ.

I have a bunch of 6 track 24 bit wave files I'd like to
mix down. I can't seem to get Acid to open them.

Can anyone here tell me how to load them into Acid?
If not, why not. Also, if not then what is Acid good for?

You mean 6-channel WAV files? Or 6 WAV files that make up a
6-track recording? Individual WAV files (mono or stereo)
imported easily, but that's part of what I meant about
learning the vocabulary. It's been at least two years since
I set ACID aside so I can't do it, but that was one of the
things that was fairly intuitive. I recall that it was able
to import mutlti-channel WAV files, but I never tried it
because I didn't have any to work with. The documentation
wasn't very good which is one of the reasons why I gave up.
They kept pointing me toward videos but I don't have the
patience for learning that way

ACID has its plalce, doing what ACID does best, which is
manipulating fragments of audio and making something
resembling music from them. Using it as a DAW for recording
and mixing is probably a poor use for it. I now use Reaper
and it makes a lot more sense to me. But I still prefer
working with a real mixing console and don't need all the
features of a DAW in my work. Computers are good recorders
and good editors. They can be good signal processors. But I
have yet to find the user interface that integrates them all
in a way that's easy for me to use as separate tools.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

"geoff"
said...news:u5CdnSkovceCcO7SnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@gigan ews.com:

Ron Capik wrote:
[...]

Vegas was originally sold as separate audio and video applications. IIRC,
Acid is what became of 'Vegas Audio.'

david

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Trevor wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
Yep very good at what it does, especially video with multi-track
audio.

And just as good with just multi-track audio. You can switch off all
the video-related windows.

Sure, but it's still fairly clunky for audio editing compared to some.

Al contraire in my experience. I'd call it slicker than most.

And the click to open a file from the timeline in Soundforge
really helps, but that means rendering those changes though.

No - use "Open....' rather than 'Open Copy.... ' - then you simply
'Save' the file from SF (or your editor of choice), and the changes
appear directly in the Vegas event. .

That *IS* re-rendering the file when saved, not simply an EDL edit.

I took you to mean an explicit render within Vegas.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/28/2012 8:14 PM, Ron Capik wrote:

Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program.

I went to a private press briefing (they even bought lunch)
of ACID in its more or less most current version (this was
at a San Francisco AES maybe 4 years ago) when they were
pushing it as being a friendly and full fledged DAW program.
I was impressed with the layout of its mixer view and that
seemed like it would be a comfortable way for me, a DAW
protester, to learn how to use it.

Yeah, Acid is clunkier than Vegas, because of it's added functionality wrt
to beat-mapping, looping, blaa, blaa , blaa.

Actually the mixer view is a paradigm I actively avoid, as is unnecessary in
these apps.

Multiple montiors is just about essential in any DAW ( with undockable
windows).

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/29/2012 3:40 PM, geoff wrote:

Actually the mixer view is a paradigm I actively avoid, as is unnecessary in
these apps.

I'm afraid that I don't have the imagination or discipline
to mix without something that looks like a mixing console.
But then I only work with actual played-and-recorded music
which is less than perfect, and I want the mix to end up
that way (less than perfect).

Multiple montiors is just about essential in any DAW ( with undockable
windows).

It sure seems like it's getting that way. On one hand you
are able to preserve the views you're accustomed to working
with and have enough space to actually work within them. On
the other hand, it blows away the concept of a portable
workstation, which, otherwise, is completely feasible with a
modern laptop computer. Sure, you can capture tracks easily
enough with a single monitor, unless of course you also want
to have the interface's application open for low latency
monitoring and metering, for example, but editing and mixing
becomes a separate operation. You can't really work with
both functions at once very conveniently, with most DAW
programs, on a single screen.

Your arguments are as valid as mine so it's not necessarily
to name your own personal DAW and say that's not true.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/29/2012 3:40 PM, geoff wrote:

Actually the mixer view is a paradigm I actively avoid, as is
unnecessary in these apps.

I'm afraid that I don't have the imagination or discipline
to mix without something that looks like a mixing console.
But then I only work with actual played-and-recorded music
which is less than perfect, and I want the mix to end up
that way (less than perfect).

No problem! ;-D

Multiple montiors is just about essential in any DAW ( with
undockable windows).

(...) Sure, you can capture tracks easily
enough with a single monitor, unless of course you also want
to have the interface's application open for low latency
monitoring and metering, for example, but editing and mixing
becomes a separate operation. You can't really work with
both functions at once very conveniently, with most DAW
programs, on a single screen.

A couple of decades ago, when I was doing a lot of pro video work I used
mulitple monitors because the computer monitor was low-res and less than
full color, so the video was handled by a separate card running its own
NTSC/PAL calibrated video monitor. Not much choice there.

But, for an audio DAW, it's entirely feasible to edit and mix simultaneously
on a single monitor so long as one isn't stuck working with a
pseudo-hardware UI, and AFAIK, most DAW programs don't force you to use a
pseudo-hardware UI.

--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Neil Gould wrote:
But, for an audio DAW, it's entirely feasible to edit and mix
simultaneously on a single monitor so long as one isn't stuck working
with a pseudo-hardware UI, and AFAIK, most DAW programs don't force
you to use a pseudo-hardware UI.

Yeah, feasible, but more fiddly than if you plug a seconfd monitor into your
desktop of laptop DAW. Most take one natively these days.

I prefer my track view 'timeline', including busses, to take one whole
display, with the other necessary windows arranged on the other. This seldom
includes a 'mixer view'.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
Neil Gould wrote:
But, for an audio DAW, it's entirely feasible to edit and mix
simultaneously on a single monitor so long as one isn't stuck working
with a pseudo-hardware UI, and AFAIK, most DAW programs don't force
you to use a pseudo-hardware UI.

Yeah, feasible, but more fiddly than if you plug a seconfd monitor
into your desktop of laptop DAW. Most take one natively these days.

I prefer my track view 'timeline', including busses, to take one whole
display, with the other necessary windows arranged on the other. This
seldom includes a 'mixer view'.

geoff

I have no issue with preferences, geoff. I prefer a single monitor, and
don't find working with it any more "fiddly", i.e. requiring more mouse
clicks, taking more time, etc., than multiple monitors. As I said in my
first comment, BTDT, don't care for it.

--
best regards,

Neil

ROLANDvs1680 MIDI to PC/SONY ACID PRO6c [email protected] Pro Audio 1 July 28th 07 08:34 PM
ACID Loops SEOguruPuzzle Pro Audio 9 April 25th 06 02:34 AM
Using a fade in Acid Pro 5 [email protected] Pro Audio 7 October 27th 05 04:44 AM
Acid loops (have some, but now what) [email protected] Pro Audio 17 December 12th 04 09:29 PM
ARGG!! (Acid) E Pro Audio 3 October 18th 04 04:52 AM