Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mark mark is offline

Default NAD 2200 Power Amplifier Bridge Mono NAD 1135 Pre Amplifier - Hookup

I have 2 NAD 2200 power amps, set up for bridge mono mode. These
amplifiers are designed to operate in this mode, but are somewhat
short on connection instructions. Each amplifier is connected to its
own speaker using the 2 speaker terminals indicated on the back of the
amp for bridged mono mode. Speaker to amp connections i think should
look like this:

Left speaker + ----------------NAD Amp #1 bridged +
Left speaker - ----------------NAD Amp #1 bridged -

Right speaker + ------------NAD Amp #2 bridged +
RIght speaker - -------------NAD Amp #2 bridged -

Connection to the preamp is less clear. My NAD 1135 preamplifier just
has a "normal" and a "high" Pre-Out L and R. I assume i'd use the
"normal" L and R ouputs like this:

Preamp Out
L--------------Y cable-----------------Poweramp #1 input L
\-----------------Poweramp #2 input L

Preamp Out
R-------------Y cable----------------Poweramp #1 input R
\----------------Poweramp #2 input R

Is this right? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Oct 25, 8:15=A0am, mark wrote:
I have 2 NAD 2200 power amps, set up for bridge mono mode. These
amplifiers are designed to operate in this mode, but are somewhat
short on connection instructions. Each amplifier is connected to its
own speaker using the 2 speaker terminals indicated on the back of the
amp for bridged mono mode. =A0Speaker to amp connections i think should
look like this:

Left speaker + ----------------NAD Amp #1 bridged +
Left speaker - ----------------NAD Amp #1 bridged -

Right speaker + ------------NAD Amp #2 bridged +
RIght speaker - -------------NAD Amp #2 bridged -

Connection to the preamp is less clear. My NAD 1135 preamplifier just
has a "normal" and a "high" =A0Pre-Out =A0L and R. I assume i'd use the
"normal" L and R ouputs like this:

Preamp Out
L--------------Y cable-----------------Poweramp #1 input L
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 \-----------------Pow=

eramp #2 input L

Preamp Out
R-------------Y cable----------------Poweramp #1 input R
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0\----------------Power=

amp #2 input R

Is this right? Thanks.

Upon further thinking....what i said above is wrong. Instead i'm
thinking what i should do is use the Y cable to split the "L" preamp
output signal across both the "L" and "R" Poweramp inputs. Like this:

Preamp Out L---------Y cable-----------Poweramp #1 L and R----------
Left speaker
Preamp Out R--------Y cable-----------Poweramp #2 Land R-----------
Right speaker

Right?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"mark" wrote in message
I have 2 NAD 2200 power amps, set up for bridge mono mode. These
amplifiers are designed to operate in this mode, but are somewhat
short on connection instructions. Each amplifier is connected to its
own speaker using the 2 speaker terminals indicated on the back of the
amp for bridged mono mode. Speaker to amp connections i think should
look like this:

Left speaker + ----------------NAD Amp #1 bridged +
Left speaker - ----------------NAD Amp #1 bridged -

Right speaker + ------------NAD Amp #2 bridged +
RIght speaker - -------------NAD Amp #2 bridged -

**This is incorrect. I suggest you refer to your instruction manual. When in
bridge mode, the outputs are taken from the +ve terminals only. The -ve
terminals are not connected.

Connection to the preamp is less clear. My NAD 1135 preamplifier just
has a "normal" and a "high" Pre-Out L and R. I assume i'd use the
"normal" L and R ouputs like this:

Preamp Out
L--------------Y cable-----------------Poweramp #1 input L
\-----------------Poweramp #2 input L

Preamp Out
R-------------Y cable----------------Poweramp #1 input R
\----------------Poweramp #2 input R

Is this right? Thanks.

**You should use the input terminal labelled 'mono'. One connection per
channel.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mark mark is offline

On Oct 26, 7:52=A0pm, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

[...]

there are 4 inputs on the back of the NAD 2200 poweramplfier. "LAB"
and "NORMAL" L and R. Neither says mono. There is a switch for bridge
mono which of course i have selected. I thought i'd need to feed both
the L and the R sides of the poweramp the same output from the preamp.
I think what you're suggesting is feeding a single poweramp input
should suffice.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
CJ[_2_] CJ[_2_] is offline

there are 4 inputs on the back of the NAD 2200 poweramplfier. "LAB"
and "NORMAL" L and R. Neither says mono. There is a switch for bridge
mono which of course i have selected. I thought i'd need to feed both
the L and the R sides of the poweramp the same output from the preamp.
I think what you're suggesting is feeding a single poweramp input
should suffice.

If I recall correctly from privious NAD amps, the 'Lab' input was a full
freq range input, while the 'Normal' input had out of audio band frequency
filtering applied.

Normally if a power amp offers a bridged mode then you connect the speaker
to the Left + and Right + terminals and connect the preamp to just one of
the channel inputs. The amp inverts this signal and feeds it to the other
amp input internally. I'm surprised which one to connect to isn't marked
but a quick bit of trial and error should work it out if you can't find the
user instructions. Obviously power down the amp when swapping the input
connection!!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
CJ[_2_] CJ[_2_] is offline

there are 4 inputs on the back of the NAD 2200 poweramplfier. "LAB"
and "NORMAL" L and R. Neither says mono. There is a switch for bridge
mono which of course i have selected. I thought i'd need to feed both
the L and the R sides of the poweramp the same output from the preamp.
I think what you're suggesting is feeding a single poweramp input
should suffice.

Just found the 2200 service manual online and from looking at the schematic
you connect the pre-amp to the left input only. 'Normal' input is a freq
limited version of 'Lab' input as previously guessed.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mark mark is offline

On Oct 30, 7:59=A0am, "CJ" wrote:
there are 4 inputs on the back of the NAD 2200 poweramplfier. "LAB"
and "NORMAL" L and R. Neither says mono. There is a switch for bridge
mono which of course i have selected. I thought i'd need to feed both
the L and the R sides of the poweramp the same output from the preamp.
I think what you're suggesting is feeding a single poweramp input
should suffice.

Just found the 2200 service manual online and from looking at the schemat=

ic
you connect the pre-amp to the left input only. =A0'Normal' input is a fr=

eq
limited version of 'Lab' input as previously guessed.

got it, thank you...where did you find the service manual? Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
CJ[_2_] CJ[_2_] is offline

"mark" wrote in message
On Oct 30, 7:59 am, "CJ" wrote:
there are 4 inputs on the back of the NAD 2200 poweramplfier. "LAB"
and "NORMAL" L and R. Neither says mono. There is a switch for bridge
mono which of course i have selected. I thought i'd need to feed both
the L and the R sides of the poweramp the same output from the preamp.
I think what you're suggesting is feeding a single poweramp input
should suffice.

Just found the 2200 service manual online and from looking at the
schematic
you connect the pre-amp to the left input only. 'Normal' input is a freq
limited version of 'Lab' input as previously guessed.

got it, thank you...where did you find the service manual? Thanks

I Googled NAD 2200 manual and found the following link pretty quickly..
http://www.audio-circuit.dk/Schemati...0PE-pwr-sm.pdf