Default Playing 78s on a Sota Star

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a way to play 78 RPM records on a Sota
turntable? I've had an older Star turntable for a long time and saw a
78 RPM record that I'd really like to be able to listen to. I've looked
and don't see an obvious way that I can adjust the belt on the motor
spindle to get the right rotation speed.

Thanks,

Greg
Gene Poon

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a way to play 78 RPM records on a Sota
turntable? I've had an older Star turntable for a long time and saw a
78 RPM record that I'd really like to be able to listen to. I've looked
and don't see an obvious way that I can adjust the belt on the motor
spindle to get the right rotation speed.

Thanks,

Greg

You only want to do this once, right?

You could increase the diameter of the motor pulley by enough to make
the platter run at 78rpm. Cut a strip of electrical tape to proper
width and wind it tightly CCW around the motor pulley until it's
approximately 2.34 times (78.26/33.33 is approx. 2.34) the original
diameter of the 33 1/3 rpm step. I would wind tape on the 45rpm step,
if present, until it is built up to that same 2.34 times the 33rpm step.
If you have a small vernier caliper you can get it more accurate than
eyeballing. A strobe disc with markings for 78rpm will be helpful too,
in getting the speed close enough. Once you finish playing the record
(and hopefully taping it so you can replay the music), you can strip off
the tape and clean the pulley with a bit of alcohol to remove any
adhesive residue.

Yes, I have done this before in a pinch (though not on that particular
model turntable). Note that the wimpy little motor in many belt drive
tables doesn't have enough torque to self-start and accelerate to 78rpm,
but a push with your finger generally can get it going and up to speed.

However I would now instead use my Garrard 301, which has the 78rpm speed.

However, before doing this, do you have a 78rpm stylus for your
cartridge? If not, don't bother with this whole project. Playing the
78 with your regular microgroove stereo stylus will result in the stylus
rattling around in the bottom of the much wider, usually
rounded-bottomed, 78rpm groove. You might even damage the stylus.

All in all, if you can find a friend with an old Garrard or BSR record
changer that has a ceramic cartridge with a flip over LP/78 stylus,
it'll be a lot easier. Someone might even have an all-in-one record
player with a cassette recorder, so the 78rpm record can be recorded on
tape and you can listen to it any time you want, after that.