coitmusic

Default hp 200cd wide range oscillator

Hello all,
I just bought a hp 200cd wide range oscillator that I would like to
use for audio output (reference tuning musical instruments, audio
effects, etc) , but am unsure about connecting it properly to a
loudspeaker or amp because of the 600 ohm impedance and the level of
power at the output. It's in great shape and supposedly works well,
and I'd hate to damage it by hooking it up incorrectly. Do I need a
transformer to match the impedances? I'd appreciate any help you can
offer. Thanks,
Peace,
Chester

coitmusic

Rich Andrews wrote in message . 3.44...
(coitmusic) wrote in
m:

Hello all,
I just bought a hp 200cd wide range oscillator that I would like to
use for audio output (reference tuning musical instruments, audio
effects, etc) , but am unsure about connecting it properly to a
loudspeaker or amp because of the 600 ohm impedance and the level of
power at the output. It's in great shape and supposedly works well,
and I'd hate to damage it by hooking it up incorrectly. Do I need a
transformer to match the impedances? I'd appreciate any help you can
offer. Thanks,
Peace,
Chester

I have used the 200cd into all manner of loads from a few ohms to a few
megohm. It handles them all with no strain. That piece is so rugged I
don't think you could hurt it with an axe. (:) Be careful not to
overdrive whatever you are hooking it up to. You won't damage the
oscillator, but you could damage whatever you hook it up to.

thanks rich,
thanks for the info, based on your advice and others, I eventually
hooked it up to the aux input on an old console stereo that was headed
for the trash. Everything works great! I've been dreaming of having
one of these ever since I read as a undergrad about the early
electronic poineers sweeping oscillators against one another, messing
with beat frequencies, and creating difference tones from frequencies
above the audible range. Now if i can just find another one this
cheap...
Peace,
Chester
Rich Andrews

(coitmusic) wrote in
m:

Rich Andrews wrote in message news:

[...]

I don't know how much you paid for the one you have but they should sell
for around $25.00 or so. Check the Hamfests for some cheap. HP made more
than a couple of these and they are around.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"