Mike Diack

Default Eventide H3000 ROM upgrade - Backlight dies

Got an old (OS V1.51) H3000 that I wanted to try some later (V2.60) ROMs
in. Trouble is that with the new ROMs installed, the yellow backlight
flicks on briefly, then goes out. Revert to old ROMs and everything reverts
to normal. Any ideas ?
cheers
Neil Bradley

"Mike Diack" wrote in message
.. .
Got an old (OS V1.51) H3000 that I wanted to try some later (V2.60) ROMs
in. Trouble is that with the new ROMs installed, the yellow backlight
flicks on briefly, then goes out. Revert to old ROMs and everything
reverts
to normal. Any ideas ?

Malprogrammed EPROM ?

--Neil

Analogeezer

Mike Diack wrote in message ...
Got an old (OS V1.51) H3000 that I wanted to try some later (V2.60) ROMs
in. Trouble is that with the new ROMs installed, the yellow backlight
flicks on briefly, then goes out. Revert to old ROMs and everything reverts
to normal. Any ideas ?
cheers

I'd email Eventide, they are very helpful.

I almost bought an H3000B a while back, and I wanted to upgrade it
with additional ROM's and figure out which presets it had.

The tech support at Eventide was very helpful, even if I didn't
actually own the thing.

I suspect you might need an OS upgrade in order to use the new ROM's
or something like that.

Seems pretty weird but they should be able to tell you what is going
on.

Analogeezer

Preben Friis

"Mike Diack" wrote in message
.. .
Got an old (OS V1.51) H3000 that I wanted to try some later (V2.60) ROMs
in. Trouble is that with the new ROMs installed, the yellow backlight
flicks on briefly, then goes out. Revert to old ROMs and everything

reverts
to normal. Any ideas ?

It often necessary to reset a box after upgrading rom software, due to
different settings in non volatile memory. I found the procedure for H3000
and pasted it below.

"Power up the unit while holding down the "Function" key. A dialog will come
up which shows "Remove all presets? Yes/No". After you choose yes or no,
another dialog will come up which shows, "Reset the OS? Yes/No". BACK UP ANY
PRESETS YOU WANT TO KEEP BEFORE DOING THIS."

Good luck.

/Preben Friis

Ty Ford

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:46:56 -0400, Preben Friis wrote
(in article ):

"Mike Diack" wrote in message
.. .
Got an old (OS V1.51) H3000 that I wanted to try some later (V2.60) ROMs
in. Trouble is that with the new ROMs installed, the yellow backlight
flicks on briefly, then goes out. Revert to old ROMs and everything

reverts
to normal. Any ideas ?

It often necessary to reset a box after upgrading rom software, due to
different settings in non volatile memory. I found the procedure for H3000
and pasted it below.

"Power up the unit while holding down the "Function" key. A dialog will come
up which shows "Remove all presets? Yes/No". After you choose yes or no,
another dialog will come up which shows, "Reset the OS? Yes/No". BACK UP ANY
PRESETS YOU WANT TO KEEP BEFORE DOING THIS."

Good luck.

/Preben Friis

Nice catch preben!!

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Preben Friis

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:46:56 -0400, Preben Friis wrote

It's often necessary to reset a box after upgrading rom software, due to
different settings in non volatile memory.

Nice catch preben!!

Ty Ford

To early to celebrate ... We won't know if it works until the original
poster tries it...

I do however write software for a living, and know that this is a common
problem when the software gets upgraded, but the data does not. The manual
for the DBX DDP replacement ROM also states that the unit has to be reset
after change.

/Preben Friis

Mike Diack

"Preben Friis" wrote in
:

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:46:56 -0400, Preben Friis wrote

It's often necessary to reset a box after upgrading rom software,
due to different settings in non volatile memory.

Nice catch preben!!

Ty Ford

To early to celebrate ... We won't know if it works until the
original poster tries it...

Thanks guys, Preben was on the right track. It turned out that the
backlight was not going out, but the software setting for contrast
was being reset to stealth (invisible) mode (usually there's some light
leakage but not with these particular LCD modules). Of course the trick
was to go into the housekeeping menu mode and twiddle the knob in the
contrast selection....except that you cannot see these options on the
display. Kinda like Microsofts old "keyboard error : keyboard missing -
press any key to continue".
Cheers
Mike