[OT] Adding volume control to electronic device

Old January 13th 21, 04:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default [OT] Adding volume control to electronic device

gray_wolf > wrote:

>Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume control?=

Those were 70V system. 70V constant power going down the cable, each tap
has a step-down transformer, then an L-pad (not a simple pot but a three
element pad so the transformer always sees an 8 ohm load) and a crappy
speaker. Because they were all parallel loads, if the main cable was shorted
by someone driving away without removing the speaker, it would take all of
them down.

Old January 13th 21, 07:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"gray_wolf" wrote in message ...

<snip>

>Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume control?

Sure do! I had a um....habit....of driving off without putting them back on
their stand.
At one point I had about 20 of them. Now that's what I call Hi Fidelity ;-)

Poly

Old January 13th 21, 09:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W

2021-01-13 / 19:52:40 (UTC +0100) / polymod:

> "gray_wolf"¬* wrote in message ...
>
> <snip>
>
>> Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume control?

> Sure do! I had a um....habit....of driving off without putting them back
> on their stand.
> At one point I had about 20 of them. Now that's what I call Hi Fidelity ;-)

Due to the height of the stand? ;-)
Old January 14th 21, 12:43 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 14/01/2021 4:52 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> gray_wolf > wrote:
>>
>> Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume control?=

> Those were 70V system. 70V constant power going down the cable, each tap
> has a step-down transformer, then an L-pad (not a simple pot but a three
> element pad so the transformer always sees an 8 ohm load) and a crappy
> speaker.

Not switched tapped transformers ?

>Because they were all parallel loads, if the main cable was shorted
> by someone driving away without removing the speaker, it would take
> all of them down.

A bit like any singel speaker cable system in that regard !

Old January 14th 21, 02:39 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf

On 13/01/2021 5:43 pm, geoff wrote:
> On 14/01/2021 4:52 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> gray_wolf¬* > wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume control?=

>> Those were 70V system.¬* 70V constant power going down the cable, each tap
>> has a step-down transformer, then an L-pad (not a simple pot but a three
>> element pad so the transformer always sees an 8 ohm load) and a crappy
>> speaker.

> Not switched tapped transformers ?
>
> >Because they were all parallel loads, if the main cable was shorted
> > by someone driving away without removing the speaker, it would take
> > all of them down.

> A bit like any singel speaker cable system in that regard !
>
> geoff

I ran the snack bar at the local drive-in when I was a kid. I don't recall any real
speaker loss. I heard that driving off with the window rolled up and speaker inside
would break the glass. I remember the tube power amp ran four 807s

Old January 14th 21, 12:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Phil W" wrote in message ...

2021-01-13 / 19:52:40 (UTC +0100) / polymod:

> "gray_wolf" wrote in message ...
>
> <snip>
>
>> Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume control?

> Sure do! I had a um....habit....of driving off without putting them back
> on their stand.
> At one point I had about 20 of them. Now that's what I call Hi Fidelity
> ;-)

Due to the height of the stand? ;-)

No, the driver :-)

Poly

Old January 14th 21, 08:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 14/01/2021 2:39 pm, gray_wolf wrote:
> On 13/01/2021 5:43 pm, geoff wrote:

>>> Those were 70V system.¬* 70V constant power going down the cable, each
>>> tap
>>> has a step-down transformer, then an L-pad (not a simple pot but a three
>>> element pad so the transformer always sees an 8 ohm load) and a crappy
>>> speaker.

>> Not switched tapped transformers ?
>>
>> ¬*>Because they were all parallel loads, if the main cable was shorted
>> ¬*> by someone driving away without removing the speaker, it would take
>> ¬*> all of them down.
>>
>> A bit like any singel speaker cable system in that regard !
>>
>> geoff

> I ran the snack bar at the local drive-in when I was a kid. I don't
> recall any real
> speaker loss.¬* I heard that driving off with the window rolled up and
> speaker inside
> would break the glass. I remember the tube power amp ran four 807s

The cable wasn't shorted then.

Old January 15th 21, 06:02 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 14/01/2021 4:52 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> gray_wolf > wrote:
>>
>> Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume control?=

> Those were 70V system. 70V constant power going down the cable, each tap
> has a step-down transformer, then an L-pad (not a simple pot but a three
> element pad so the transformer always sees an 8 ohm load)

"3 element pad" - wouldn't that be a T-Pad ?

Old January 16th 21, 10:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman

On 1/14/2021 10:02 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 14/01/2021 4:52 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> gray_wolf¬* > wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume
>>> control?=

>> Those were 70V system.¬* 70V constant power going down the cable, each tap
>> has a step-down transformer, then an L-pad (not a simple pot but a three
>> element pad so the transformer always sees an 8 ohm load)

> "3 element pad" - wouldn't that be a T-Pad ?

Yes, or a "Pi"-pad.

Old January 19th 21, 04:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

> "Phil W"¬* wrote in message ...
>
> 2021-01-13 / 19:52:40 (UTC +0100) / polymod:
>>
>> "gray_wolf"¬* wrote in message ...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume
>>> control?

>> Sure do! I had a um....habit....of driving off without putting them
>> back on their stand.
>> At one point I had about 20 of them.

And 20 broken windows? :-)