Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

Default White or Pink?

Rodents:

1. What's the difference between white & pink noise?
2. Which is the one that relaxes you & why?
3. How can you use one to test audio equipment?
4. Thanks.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

west wrote:

Rodents:

1. What's the difference between white & pink noise?

White is equal power per Hz, pink is equal power per octave.

2. Which is the one that relaxes you & why?

Neither do.

3. How can you use one to test audio equipment?

Use pink noise with a real time analyser to get frequency response.

4. Thanks.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Eeyore wrote:

2. Which is the one that relaxes you & why?

Neither do.

Let us clarify that a bit.

Neither "noise" relaxes one.

White noise will mask other noises that sometimes are associated with
restlessness, such as conversation in the next room, droning
televisions next door and street noises.

White noise generators are often used in cubicle-based offices to
enhance phone privacy and reduce distractions. Sometimes bedside
generators are useful to mask ambient noises, and sometimes white noise
is superimposed (with all sorts of wierd effects) on elevator music and
whale-seabird choruses for similar reasons. Some swear by it, some
swear at it. I have no direct knowledge nor have I heard of pink noise
being used in the same way.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

2. Which is the one that relaxes you & why?

Neither do.

Let us clarify that a bit.

Neither "noise" relaxes one.

White noise will mask other noises that sometimes are associated with
restlessness, such as conversation in the next room, droning
televisions next door and street noises.

White noise generators are often used in cubicle-based offices to
enhance phone privacy and reduce distractions. Sometimes bedside
generators are useful to mask ambient noises, and sometimes white noise
is superimposed (with all sorts of wierd effects) on elevator music and
whale-seabird choruses for similar reasons. Some swear by it, some
swear at it. I have no direct knowledge nor have I heard of pink noise
being used in the same way.

Really ? I have no experience of this use but I'd have expected pink to be
at least slightly more relaxing. It's a bit like the sound of the sea.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Eeyore wrote:

Really ? I have no experience of this use but I'd have expected pink to be
at least slightly more relaxing. It's a bit like the sound of the sea.

Don't get out much, do you (in jest, not personal)?

http://www.speechprivacysystems.com/...FRuDGgod80YYQg

http://www.white-noise.us/

http://www.naturestapestry.com/generator.html

And others too numerous to include.

This technology has been around for at least 20 years, both in
commercial and personal applications.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Powell Powell is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote
Really ? I have no experience of this use but I'd have expected pink to
be
at least slightly more relaxing. It's a bit like the sound of the sea.

Don't get out much, do you (in jest, not personal)?

And others too numerous to include.

This technology has been around for at least 20 years, both in
commercial and personal applications.

A local business installed a $28K white noise system. The
system was installed in new construction. It included 6 zones
of ceiling speakers on separate pots. Net result was total
waste of money. Caveat emptor.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Powell wrote:
Caveat emptor.

Sounds about right.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Peter Wieck the Utter ****wit "
Eeyore wrote:

Really ? I have no experience of this use but I'd have expected pink to
be
at least slightly more relaxing. It's a bit like the sound of the sea.

Don't get out much, do you (in jest, not personal)?

http://www.speechprivacysystems.com/...FRuDGgod80YYQg

http://www.white-noise.us/

http://www.naturestapestry.com/generator.html

And others too numerous to include.

This technology has been around for at least 20 years, both in
commercial and personal applications.

** Yawn - what a load of marketing crapology.

Folk in the sound masking game have invented their own meanings for the
terms " white noise " and "pink noise" - and it sure ain't the ones used
in science or engineering.

http://www.details-worktools.com/med...ise_Colors.pdf

http://www.appledynamics.com/White%2...nd_masking.pdf

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Ya know, twit... You are one tiresome bit of baggage.

Established as a given:

1. you cannot read.
2. you cannot think.
3. you are entirely predictable.
4. you are utterly silly.

When you learn to be creative, I will deign to take notice of you once
more. But in passing, you will note that I generally give you credit
where due. Even though you make that a very difficult proposition.

Meanwhile, I hope that you enjoy what passes for your life. Bluntly,
were I in your place I would seriously contemplate ending it.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"west"

1. What's the difference between white & pink noise?

** Pink noise is the result when white noise goes through a filter with a
steady - 3dB per octave slope. Over the 20 Hz to 20 kHz audio band, that
filter has 30 dB of attenuation - so there is a heck of a lot less treble
in pink noise.

2. Which is the one that relaxes you & why?

** Pink sounds less annoying and if played not too loudly resembles the
sound of rain or a waterfall. Many folk find that sound sleep inducing.

3. How can you use one to test audio equipment?

** Lotsa ways.

Pink noise ( audio band limited ) is used for testing the sensitivity of
loudspeakers ( in dB per watt) - since it includes all frequencies and the
average energy in each octave or fraction thereof is the same.

Pink noise also has a high peak to average ratio - about 12 dB, depending
on how it has been generated. This means you can test an amplifier's or
speaker's maximum peak output while keeping the average power to only 1/16
th of the peaks.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default Peter Wieck= Criminal Lunatic

Peter Wieck is a dangerous Criminal lunatic !!!

Use your KILLFILE NOW !!!

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Hi RATs!

If you take a long enough (or short enough, I'd guess) sample,
everything is some kind of noise

Pink is considered preferable, but, the white stuff doesn't stain your
ears ...

Happy Ears!
Al

PS Also popular for engineers who hate Music, but, love balanced,
accurate measurements.

Devil's Own Saucerer Strikes at Gay Wedding, invents Hot Pink Tagliatelli "Blush" Andre Jute Audio Opinions 29 February 10th 06 10:57 PM
Devil's Own Saucerer Strikes at Gay Wedding, invents Hot Pink Tagliatelli "Blush" Andre Jute Vacuum Tubes 29 February 10th 06 10:57 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
white noise distortion on guitar Trevor de Clercq Pro Audio 0 April 2nd 05 05:50 PM