Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Alex is offline

Default Tube prototyping boards

If anyone is interested in tube protoboards,
or have any suggestion,see www.atarado.com and
post here, please.

Thanx
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

As a kid, I remember using the books called "The Boys Book of Radio
Electronics" volumes 1 through 3. They had tube radio and amp
projects. Those books used a piece of shellac coated pine,
Fahnestock(sp?) spring clips, standoffs for the tube sockets that were
solder wired to the clips, and extra clips spread around for
convenience; sockets, speaker, pots, etc were also attaced to spring
clips. That still looks like the best way to me except maybe use
Corian instead of wood, the boards on your link still appear to require
soldering, is this correct? Things like the filament string could be
hard-wired to save time, etc. I wish there were a nice solderless
breadboarding system for tubes.

Anyone know of a solderless system for tubes?

Alex wrote:
If anyone is interested in tube protoboards,
or have any suggestion,see www.atarado.com and
post here, please.

Thanx
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Alex is offline

--

What do you mean with "solderless"? You have tube socket!?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

So I can very quickly test out a circuit or stage by just clipping
together all the resistors, caps,pots, jacks, xfrmr, etc. without
having to unsolder it all to reuse the parts over again.

Alex wrote:
If anyone is interested in tube protoboards,
or have any suggestion,see www.atarado.com and
post here, please.

Thanx
Alex

--

What do you mean with "solderless"? You have tube socket!?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

Alex wrote:
If anyone is interested in tube protoboards,
or have any suggestion,see www.atarado.com and
post here, please.

Two points:

1. You need some uncommitted area on every board. Just some
hole-through pads joined in generic patterns would be great. Others
will argue about how much should be available but 20 or 40 or 60
percent would be good numbers. Without this, it's not prototyping, it's
a cookbook recipe you cannot deviate from.

2. Those power supply boards have WAY too much room devoted to
capacitors. I mean, I realize that in the past couple decades having
MASSIVELY oversized capacitor banks even in tube amps (requiring a lot
of attention to inrush limiting) has become trendy, but your pc layouts
take it beyond funny into truly sad.

Probably irrelevant 'cause like others here I do my prototyping with
octal relay sockets :-).

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
David R Brooks David R Brooks is offline

Top post - bottom post

RickH wrote:

Alex wrote:
If anyone is interested in tube protoboards,
or have any suggestion,see www.atarado.com and
post here, please.

Thanx
Alex

--

What do you mean with "solderless"? You have tube socket!?

--

So I can very quickly test out a circuit or stage by just clipping
together all the resistors, caps,pots, jacks, xfrmr, etc. without
having to unsolder it all to reuse the parts over again.

It's called "Spice" - seems to be what most people do now
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PhattyMo PhattyMo is offline

David R Brooks wrote:
Top post - bottom post

RickH wrote:

Alex wrote:
If anyone is interested in tube protoboards,
or have any suggestion,see www.atarado.com and
post here, please.

Thanx
Alex

--
What do you mean with "solderless"? You have tube socket!?

--

So I can very quickly test out a circuit or stage by just clipping
together all the resistors, caps,pots, jacks, xfrmr, etc. without
having to unsolder it all to reuse the parts over again.

It's called "Spice" - seems to be what most people do now

Use octal relay sockets..a little more spendy,but they have screw
terminals.. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
J J is offline

Some are shown here too.

http://cvd.scorpiorising.ca/products.html
http://cvd.scorpiorising.ca/tubepcb.html

thanks

Alex wrote:
If anyone is interested in tube protoboards,
or have any suggestion,seewww.atarado.comand
post here, please.

Thanx
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sal Brisindi Sal Brisindi is offline

Use octal relay sockets..a little more spendy,but they have screw
terminals.. :-)

Spendy? I just purchased 6 of them on ebay for $1.99 each. I with they
had 7 and 9 pin relay sockets too... :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] retroteckh@aol.com is offline

RickH wrote:
As a kid, I remember using the books called "The Boys Book of Radio
Electronics" volumes 1 through 3. They had tube radio and amp
projects. Those books used a piece of shellac coated pine,
Fahnestock(sp?) spring clips, standoffs for the tube sockets that were
solder wired to the clips, and extra clips spread around for
convenience; sockets, speaker, pots, etc were also attaced to spring
clips. That still looks like the best way to me except maybe use
Corian instead of wood, the boards on your link still appear to require
soldering, is this correct? Things like the filament string could be
hard-wired to save time, etc. I wish there were a nice solderless
breadboarding system for tubes.

Anyone know of a solderless system for tubes?

Surf my site: http://www.RetroTech.ca
Look under breadborads

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Hi RATs!

After you discover your first, or fiftieth, bad connection, you may
re-evaluate your mad passion for quick and dirty model building.

Where's the hurry? What are you, mortal?

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

Having one of those books again would warm my heart. In 4th grade I
used to get them from the school library with the nuns overlooking and
encouraging.

Bret Ludwig wrote:
RickH wrote:
As a kid, I remember using the books called "The Boys Book of Radio
Electronics" volumes 1 through 3. They had tube radio and amp
projects. Those books used a piece of shellac coated pine,
Fahnestock(sp?) spring clips, standoffs for the tube sockets that were
solder wired to the clips, and extra clips spread around for
convenience; sockets, speaker, pots, etc were also attaced to spring
clips. That still looks like the best way to me except maybe use
Corian instead of wood, the boards on your link still appear to require
soldering, is this correct? Things like the filament string could be
hard-wired to save time, etc. I wish there were a nice solderless
breadboarding system for tubes.

Those would be Alfred Morgan's books. The copyright was renewed on all
of them and only a few prewar titles of his are out of copyright. When
people like Pete Millett crimp Lindsay's pee-pee and he has to
negotiate copyright clearance (if he doesn't just quit, he might) they
or someone like them may reprint them but the publishers and families
can be tough to deal with.

I don't like solderless systems: soldering is fast and easy, and
cheap. It works.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Here's a working tube prototype board with no hum from
dumpsterprototype dotcom.

It's made from the finest junked sony ss chassis, with specially
selected used sockets and 50 year old terminal strips, lovingly
assembled with the finest scrounged solder. The hookup wire is a
special type, attained from a guy in a hawiian shirt in a wooden stall
at the flea market. The transformer mouning platforms are made from
the finest aluminum scrap, carefully cut out on a sears bandsaw and
bent into shape with state-of-the-art channel locks.

Don't wait, order one now. They're going fast.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/hedb1241/ultrapath.jpg

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tlbs tlbs is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:
RickH wrote:
Having one of those books again would warm my heart. In 4th grade I
used to get them from the school library with the nuns overlooking and
encouraging.

Since they are always bringing $50-80 on eBay, you aren't the only
one. You might write the publisher or bug Lindsay but neither is likely
to do any good.

Or get them interlibrary loan and scan them with a hand scanner.

I had my own copy of the (Boy's Xth Book of Electronics) 2nd and 4th
books -- and in 4th grade, too! The 4th book doesn't have any tube
projects, though. I recently dug out the 4th book to show a friend's
kid in the 4th grade, that reading at the 1st or 2nd-grade level isn't
going to "cut it". What a shame, all this kid wants to do is play 24/7
and not learn/study anything.

It's nice to know the books are worth some bucks. Now, if I can just
fine that 2nd book...

Tom P.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Zilog Zilog is offline

Alex wrote:
If anyone is interested in tube protoboards,
or have any suggestion,see www.atarado.com and
post here, please.

Thanx
Alex