Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Chevdo Chevdo is offline

Default rec.audio.pro Cronymob FAQ v3.5 -- posted every Sunday

* * *

rec.audio.pro 'Elephant in the Room' Cronymob FAQ Version 3.5 - posted every Sunday
last update: July 21th, 2006

written by Chevdo, supreme survivor of cronymob abuse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_in_the_room

"The elephant in the room (also elephant in the living room, elephant in the
corner, elephant on the dinner table, elephant in the kitchen, etc.) is an
English idiom for a question or problem that very obviously stands, but which
is ignored for the convenience of one or other party. It derives its symbolic
meaning from the fact that an elephant would indeed be conspicuous and
remarkable in a small room; thus the idiom also implies a value judgment that
the issue should be discussed openly. "

* * *

Foreword:

Mike Rivers created a trolling thread in which he facetiously praised me for being a conduit for posting valuable information (which he claimed occurs when heros like him respond to my 'trolling' posts). That particular round of harassment inspired me to compile the valuable information contained in this FAQ and post it regularly on a weekly basis to rec.audio.pro until it is no longer necessary, though I suspect that it may always be necessary.

I also figured that posting the list of cronymob members would be a good way to get people who haven't been added to the list of cronymobsters yet to beg to be added... so beg away, cronymobsters, suck ups, wannabes, and cowardly snipers from the sidelines! You're all invited!

The main purpose of this FAQ is so that I can have something to post routinely against the cronymob, without having to spend as much time as I have fielding individual attacks. This FAQ simply serves as a primer for future victims who otherwise would not have any idea why they are being harassed, because they would not be aware of the long history of abusiveness on rec.audio.pro. Unlike the cronymobsters who all seem to be so unemployed that they can spend all day every day pounding out obnoxious replies to usenet, I just don't have time to stick around and educate new victims when they arrvive and begin getting harassed. This FAQ sums up the entire situation, and I only have to waste time writing it once. So, if you have recently come to rec.audio.pro for some reason, and you are wondering why you're suddenly being harassed and abused, this FAQ should serve to fill you in and help assure you that you're NOT the crazy one, you're NOT the instigator, this really IS a mob effort. And although this mob effort has never been organized in any official capacity, it has evolved to be as sophisticated as any organized, concerted effort would be.

By the way, it may be worth noting, that a lot of the 'professionals' who frequent rec.audio.pro are people who install and maintain sound systems in their local churches. This is what makes them 'professional', according to them. The fact that I consider myself to be a 'hardcore atheist' may have something to do with my not being on the same wavelength as the bulk of the rec.audio.pro posters. Although religion has never been a component in the cronymob abuse, or my defense, the fact that so many church-going christians are involved in the cronymob as members or suck-ups may go a long way in explaining why they so easily coalesce into a group, cult-like dynamic.

* * *

Introduction:

Over the years, certain online social forums such as usenet groups have degenerated into hangouts for people who do little if anything in real life, instead choosing to live their lives online, probably as a result of social dysfunction, or undesirable appearance, or odor. The rec.audio.pro group has an unusually large number of these people. They can be quite knowledgable, afterall they've been passing information back and forth for years, and in only a few, albeit major cases that has resulted in communal reinforcement of false information. So generally they can be a somewhat useful resource. Unfortunately, what often happens is that a person who lives his life in the real world rather than the internet, needs a question answered about audio production, technology, or what-have-you. Now that home computers are powerful enough for professional audio applications, many people with no previous experience in this area are getting into it and asking questions on forums like rec.audio.pro. These people often end up getting severely harassed in the process of trying to have their questions answered. Needless to say, when these individuals find a dozen people suddenly jumping down their necks, so to speak, they do not stick around for very long. Sometimes, however, the cronymob makes the mistake of levelling their abuse at someone who does have considerable experience in the field, so is not so easily intimidated and so quickly chased away. The author of this FAQ (me) is one of those people. The author of this FAQ (me) has coined the term 'cronymob' to refer to the unorganized group of abusers, some of which may not even be aware of what they're doing, since the cronymob is formed by unspoken social cues, and members rarely talk as if they are a part of a group (though, in the process of abusing a victim, they invariably accuse of the victim of being undesirable to the rest of the newsgroup, and may often refer to themselves as 'us'). So the cronymob's collective memory is filled with various names of individuals who popped onto rec.audio.pro, were immediately harassed by the mob, and took off in a hurry when they realized they were up against a social group who has made a habit of this behavior. In fact, the members of the cronymob are so paranoid about people with names they don't recognize posting, that they often think new posters are people they've previously run out of the group with abuse, coming back under a different name to mess with them. This results in a positive-feedback loop in which their abuse and harassment of individuals gets amplified by their paranoia. Having been one of their targets, I personally have been accused of being a half a dozen different people they've abused in the past.

Usually they chase off the people they harass so quickly that two individuals are rarely being harassed at the same time, so usually the victim is forced to consider the cronymob's inevitable claims that the victim has a 'persecution complex', as over a dozen people jump on him. Recently, however, the author of this FAQ (Chevdo), found himself being harassed by the cronymob at the same time they were busy harassing another individual, PhobikONE. Because of this, Chevdo and Phobik were able to at least take consolation in the fact that each knew he was right, and that the cronymob really does exist, in an unofficial but habitual, patterned manner. The leader of the cronymob, Scott Dorsey, widely considred to be the most knowledgable audio-expert on rec.audio.pro, even had the audacity to claim that Chevdo and Phobik were the same person posting from the same IP, even though Phobik and Chevdo aren't even in the same country, and use different newsreaders, meaning that not only were their IPs different, nothing in their headers was even remotely similar! But did anyone besides the victims take Dorsey to task for that? Of course not, instead, they simply called the victims 'whiners', with 'persecution complexes'.

Now, because the victims of the cronymob actually have lives, and don't enjoy being perpetual victims for a large group of dispicable humans, the victims usually don't stick around on the group long enough to warn new victims and inform them of this long-standing pattern of mob abuse on rec.audio.pro. And that is the purpose of this FAQ. If you find yourself being attacked by an alarming number of individuals on rec.audio.pro for no good reason, now you know why. And now you know that you're not alone. Indeed, there have been many victims of the rec.audio.pro cronymob, but so far I only know of the heresay provided when I've been accused of being various different names of past victims. I won't list those names here until I research their history with rec.audio.pro accurately. But, if you feel that you've been a victim, reply to the posting of this FAQ. The author (me) will periodically monitor followups to the FAQ posting. If you have been victimized, and you would like it to be known that you are in fact innocent, I will add you to the list of victims in this FAQ upon personally investigating your case and evaluating its authenticity.

Historical notes:

Due to the fact that the cronymob needs a constant supply of people to victimize, they use certain contentious issues to draw people out as targets. These are issues they obsess over and communally reinforce amongst each other. The first experience I had with the cronymob targeting me was when I stuck up for the audio-equipment manufacturer Behringer. The cronymob believes that Behringer makes terrible gear, mainly because Behringer has been accused of copying designs of other companys' equipment and manufacturing the copies using cheap third-world labor in order to retail the copies much cheaper than the originals retail for. The cronymob, however, is not concerned with the social implications of hiring third-world wage-slaves, most of them simply cite the 'intellectual property rights' propaganda issued by Mackie, Behringer's main nemesis, as the reason for their obsessive Behringer-bashing.

Another issue the cronymob is firmly devoted to and uses to find victims is the 'loudness wars'. The 'loudness wars' refers to the tendency for the most popular commercially-available CDs to be mastered with more and more compression over the years as artists and record companies compete to have the loudest product on the market. Even though this practice has clearly proved itself in the marketplace, the cronymob is totally against it. This is one of the main reasons the cronymob is so angry and full of emotional angst - their devotion to anti-loudness has caused them to deliberately put themselves out of business via commercial suicide.

Finally, the cronymob hates Wikipedia, because Wikipedia has developed to be the most reliable source on the web for information about anything under the sun, including things the cronymob insists they are experts in. Since Wikipedia represents an authority that can refute whatever members of the cronymob communally reinforce amongst themselves as gospel, Wikipedia also represents a threat to the cronymob's authority over the rec.audio.pro newsgroup. Rather than devoting their alleged vast knowledge to helping make Wikipedia better, they prefer to insist that Wikipedia is worthless, and that the cronymob, particularly crony-leader, Scott Dorsey, is the ultimate authority pertaining to anything to do with audio. ("I had no idea that wikipedia had any credibility to question. --scott")

Questions & Answers

Q: What is the purpose of this FAQ?

A: The purpose is to document actual behavior that is occuring, but which a large group of people (the cronymob) claim to be unaware is occuring and that they are perpetrating.* By explaining the situation and collecting the names of the abused, the author of the FAQ (me) hopes that by illuminating this sordid situation, people within the cronymob may make a concerted effort to change their behavior, and others may make a concerted effort to hold the members of the cronymob to a higher standard of social discourse. In otherwords, the hope is that this FAQ will ultimately result in the dissolution of the cronymob entirely.

Q: How come you seem to know so much about this, and can write about it so articulately and authoritatively? Were you a member of this 'cronymob' who has defected? If not how come you didn't get chased off quickly like most of the victims?

A: No, I've never been a member of this cronymob, however, I think everyone has probably been a part of a similar social group at some time in their lives, and I'm no exception. In highschool and prior, such behavior was common if not ubiquitous. The reason I know a lot about group dynamics is because I have studied cults, delusion, critical thinking, and related fields of psychology due to having known two people in my (real, not online) life who have joined cults. I was perplexed about this (since neither of those two people knew each other - these were completely seperate incidents), and I was also effected by the swath of damage they left behind to the people who had been close to them before they joined the cults. So I made a concerted effort to learn all I could about what motivates people to subordinate themselves to group dynamics.

Much of what I learned about how cults are formed and how they operate is analogous to the way the rec.audio.pro cronymob developed and operates (though the victims in cults are the members, they do not actively seek out individuals to be hostile towards, so that those hostile towards cults tend to be limited to people with whom members formerly had relationships with and cult members' biological families).

That knowledge probably helped me resist the social cues issued by the cronymob to urge me to subordinate myself. Also as I mentioned earlier, my longtime experience with audio production, particularly with computer DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) made me less easy to intimidate with one of the usual cronymob tactics, that of insisting the target (victim) is always wrong.

Q: This all seems so obsessive, don't you have anything better to do with your time? Are you sure you're mentally stable?

A: Yes I definitely have better things to do with my time, which is why I've compiled this FAQ rather than posting all day long every day in the flamewars the cronymob generates on rec.audio.pro, and apparently really wants me to participate in. They seem to have all the free time in the world to engage in flame wars, but I do not. I have no idea if I am 'mentally stable', it's not much of a concern to me and hasn't been since I made a concerted effort a few years ago, also spurred by the social incident in my life of two people I know joining cults, to investigate philosophy and psychology and reconcile my 'place in the world' as best as I could. The results I achieved from doing that far surpassed the results I anticipated when I began that investigation. The only thing that could possibly be an issue for me would be problems with vanity and conceit due to recognition of my own superiority. But since I know that is the one thing I need to watch out for most, I do. And I know enough about myself and the human condition to be able to do a fine job of keeping that in check.

Q: Yeah, but so many people seem to think you're 'the problem'. It seems odd that so many people would be wrong, and you'd be right, doesn't it?

A: On the surface it might, until you investigate group dynamics. The entire population of Germany put their support behind a similar group only 60 years ago. In fact, in relation to the previous question, its because of my far above-average ability to resist social pressure that I am able to take on the cronymob, rather than submitting to them or running away, as all their previous victims have.

Q: But Nazi Germany required a massive effort and organization to achieve, whereas you claim this 'cronymob' has developed its sophisticated behaviors with many of the so-called members not even being aware they're participating!

A: That's because the cronymob has developed according to an evolutionary model, but don't get me wrong, this is a peculiar anomaly. I've participated in many webforums, usenet groups, mailing lists and the like (online social forums), and this one has by far the most highly-evolved group of self-appointed elitists. That's one of the reasons I'm writing this FAQ. I've never bothered writing something like this after being kicked off of or trolled out of a online forum before, and I've been kicked off of or deserted many online forums. This one just seems to represent the worst traits of all of them, and exhibits them most energetically, with a lot of people participating. Perhaps in the future sociologists investigating the genesis of social norms of the future will look back to the beginnings of online-communications and stumble across this FAQ, alerting them to the fact that rec.audio.pro is a ripe field for the data they're looking to harvest.

Q: Ok, if you're so well-adjusted and mentally stable, why write this voluminous FAQ? Shouldn't you be 'above' all this, or at least have something better to do?

A: Well I'm sure I do have plenty of things better to do than writing this FAQ, but this FAQ is written to save me from wasting more time responding to attacks. Not that there's anything forcing me to respond to attacks, but the fact is I'm still human like everyone else. I don't exactly enjoy being picked on, and find the entire display rather sickening. We pick and choose our battles in this life. I can't change anything happening in the Middle East, for example, but I can do my best to influence what I can in this world according to how I'd prefer the world to be. I'd prefer it if most of the humans I come in contact with were as prepared to take a thoughtful approach to their behavior as I am, rather than the usual self-absorbed jackasses I tend to come in contact with far too frequently.

* -- Note: although the cronymobsters originally vehemently denied existence of the cronymob, after the second posting of this FAQ they took to a predictable strategy of mocking the FAQ by pretending to celebrate the reality depicted in it, gleefully chattering about having Cronymob t-shirts made up for themselves).

* * *

List of victims:

Chevdo
PhobikONE

NOTE: PhobikONE, after recieving reams of abuse, finally caved and submitted to the cronymob, and actually began sucking up to Romeo Rondaeu, after Rondaeu thoroughly trolled him and harassed him. Pretty sad, but not at all unexpected. I will remove him from this section of the FAQ if he requests that I do so.

Phil - I don't know who Phil is, but he's the latest person I noticed cronymob members comparing to me, apparently a past victim they abused.

Mr. Sharp - another apparent previous victim whose identity 'audioaesthetic' is currently claiming I possess.

Gary Sokolich - Gary is a minor victim, mostly of cronymobster Bob Cain's personal trolling. Often the cronymob won't join in harassing a victim unless the leaders of the mob such as Dorsey or Rivers do so first. Since neither Dorsey nor Rivers ever took Bob's cue to harass Gary, Bob has been all alone in his fight against Gary. This should serve as a warning to some of you who might want to join the cronymob for lifelong protection and support (online, anyway). The cronymob are fairweather friends, and simply won't support your abusive whims unless you can get Dorsey or Rivers to give your crusade the royal thumbs up.

Nono: Made the mistake of asking about Behringer equipment without prefacing his question with a rabidly obsessive anti-Behringer rant. You can probably guess what ensued.

* * *

People who have actually had the guts to criticize the cronymob for their harassment and abuse:

Patric Doyle - inspired the creation of a new list section of this FAQ, that being people who are neither cronymobsters nor victims, but in fact rec.audio.pro users who had the guts to speak out against the cronymob and admit, to some degree, that they are instigators. Patric realized that Mike Rivers' generation of his 'Chevdo Troll' thread, was in fact a blatant act of trolling. Unfortunately, Patric wasn't prepared to acknowledge the victimization of Chevdo, instead claiming that I did my 'Chevdo act', whatever that is (being honest and not submitting to abuse and harassment?). By referring to my discourse as a 'Chevdo act', Patric unfortunately stuck to the despicable cronymob act of pretending Chevdo (me) somehow deserved even an iota of the harassment and abuse received by the cronymob. Hopefully, future heros I add to this list, likely inspired by Patric's remarkably brave, though only half-candid admission, won't, like Patric, only be able to chastize the members of the cronymob for 'losing control', and, unlike Patric, have the guts to admit that I don't deserve any of the abuse I've received from the cronymob.

- This person said, in response to a posting of this FAQ, that he agrees there is a clique on rec.audio.pro. He said he values my opinions and considers me to be a "savy guy", but recommends that I "relax about it a little bit", apparently meaning that he advises me to not continue posting this FAQ. I don't know if his compliments were sincere, or if he was just hoping to play 'good cop' to talk me into not continuing to post this FAQ. I asked him, but he didn't respond. His post was the impetus for inclusion of the 'elephant in the room' parable at the beginning of this FAQ.

* * *

The following people are the most dispicable representations of homo-sapiens this side of Hitler, PolPot, Stalin, and their supporters. Their power on rec.audio.pro is absolute, though thankfully non-existent in real life. They have no qualms about blatantly lying to stroke their own and each other's egos, and lies and slander are the chief ways in which they abuse people. These are people for whom schadenfreude is a way of life, albeit, a pathetic, online-only, power-coward fantasy way of life.

List of Cronymobsters and Associates:

Scott Dorsey - blatantly lied in claiming that me and another person who was concurrently being abused on RAP (PhobikOne) post with the same IP in our message headers. Unofficial leader of the cronymob. Very knowledgeable with audio stuff, but often wrong and never contested.

Mike Rivers - Recently (July, 2006) didn't even know that cd-r/rw drives dont have Windows drivers (drivers for each model are coded into cd burning software, which is why newer drives won't work with older versions of cd-burning software), but is considered to be one of the group's most knowledgable experts. Second in command cronymobster after Dorsey. Because I've made a point of mocking Rivers' tremendous ignorance regarding cd-rom drives, he's been doing his best to try to make me look just as stupid by taking my statements out of context (for example, I recently said I didn't know what a poster meant by a 'wav file' because he was asking about compressed wav files (wav files are not compressed, when you compress a wav-file, it becomes a different type of file, not a wav file). Rivers seized on this to announce that .wav is a standard that has been around for a long time, devised by Microsoft! (as if I didn't already know this). Another cronymob-suckup followed up Rivers' post with more support for his claim that I didn't know what a 'wav file' was. I suspect Rivers will not only keep trying to make me look as ignorant as he is, but will also keep expressing his ignorance (he routinely expresses his opinion on matters he has no experience with). So I will continue to document both Rivers' ignorance and his futile attempts to make me out to be as stupid as he is, if not dumber.

audioaesthetic - #1 most sucky crony suck up. This guy is one of the most obnoxious of the mob, there's not much to say about him other than like Romeo Rondeau, he never misses a chance to abuse, harass, or troll the victim. His type represents the lowest, grunt soldiers of the mob. The higher ups don't get involved in every single melee, leaving the bulk of the dirty work to the most sadistic underlings.

Arny Kreuger - rarely lucid enough to be much more than a half-assed crony suck up, but acts like and probably thinks he's a full-fledged mobster with considerable clout. Like Dorsey, though not as much, he's very knowledgable in audio stuff, though cronymobsters are allowed to disagree with him, unlike the unwritten rule against disagreeing with Dorsey. Likes to use techno-gibberish in arguments, and likes to participate in the 'target (victim) is always wrong' tactic, sometimes using his propensity to generate techno-gibberish to that effect.

Romeo Rondaeu - Loser, second suckiest crony suck up

David Morgan - Loser, crony suck up

Bob Cain - Loser, crony suck up. Like Arny, Bob likes to use techno-gibberish in arguments and revels in engaging in the 'target (victim) is always wrong' tactic.

Laurence Payne - Loser, crony suck up

Daniel Fox - Loser, crony suck up

Ty Ford - cronymobster (second most wannabe crony enforcer)

Agent 86 - cronymobster

Dr. Dolittle - formerly borderline, but since confirmed full cronymob devotion. Of the simpering, passive-aggressive sort.

Geezer - total crony loser (#1 wannabe crony enforcer)

Lorin David Schultz - Long time cronymobster, one of the first to join abuse of me personally, but happened to be absent for most of the latest round of abuse. Would probably be #2 wannabe crony enforcer if he had been more active. Seems to be making up for lost time by levelling voluminous abuse very recently.

vas - possible cronymobster, sideline sniper (July, 2006)

Rick Hollet - troll, possible cronymobster, sideline sniper

Mfassett - troll, possible cronymobster, sideline sniper

Steven Sena - said Mike Rivers 'Chevdo trolling thread' was a 'hoot', probable cronymob suck up

Ron Capik - responded to Mike Rivers Chevdo trolling thread asking if a previous person the cronymob had abused should be 'invited back' for more abuse... definite cronymobster

Frank Sterns - part of the cronymob, but one of the few passive-aggressive mobsters. Frank doesn't feel comfortable joining the mob in blatant group attacks, rather, Frank helps the mob by responding to any of the mob's target's posts to tell that person that whatever he has written is wrong, no matter how irrelevent, weakly connected, or simply erroneous Frank's objection turns out to be.

William Sommerwerck - probable passive-aggressive mobster

Rick Hollet - borderline, being monitored

Paul Braun - cronymob suck up, sideline sniper

Todd Lipcon - troll, sideline sniper and probable suck up (Todd responded to the first posting of this FAQ to inform me that twonks like him who run Linux need drivers for their CD roms, in response to the Mike Rivers entry, as if his Linux cd-rom driver revelation was somehow relevent to Rivers, who doesn't run Linux. And since he told me that his irrelevent babble meant that I was 'wrong', he's probably a deliberate crony suck up) . The Mike Rivers entry has since been updated to specify 'Windows', to prevent any future retards like Todd from joining the list the same way Todd did.

Animix - ridiculous newbie crony suck up (this guy actually had the nerve to blatantly request being added as a suck up after reading the first posting of this FAQ. He says he couldn't think of any insults to send my way but he so desperately wants to be part of this list of losers, I'm all too happy to oblige). I was hoping some of the more desperate obscure crony wannabes would jump at the chance to get on the list, and this guy seems to be the first, but probably not the last...

Richard Crowley - Forgot to add this total cronymobster and suck up in the original version of the FAQ because he is such a dullard that he is easily forgettable. But he really does try hard to be as vicious as possible to targets (victims) to try to get attention. Luckily Richard chimed in after the first posting of the FAQ to remind me of his sorry existence.

St. John Smythe - obscure nobody who stated 'Yawn' at an addendum to the first posting of this FAQ. Probably thinks he's too cool for school and is looking to get into the mob. Unfortunately the mob is so vast the members have to vye for attention among themselves and new wannabes have a lot of trouble getting noticed. Some of the more sophisticated ones probably don't like to leap into the vicious mob browbeatings, though, and Smythe might be one of those. Or maybe he's an online magician who just caused me to write an entire paragraph by uttering a single cryptive emotive.

Michael R. Kesti - cronymob suck up, yet another obscure nobody trying to garner his first few cronypoints by taking a shot at Chevdo. Responding to Chevdo's tongue-in-cheek suggestion that if he were nailed up to a crucifix, cronymobsters would still accuse him of having a 'persecution complex', Michael thought that a hilarious rejoinder would be to request 'experimental data to test this hypothesis', in otherwords, Michael would like to crucify me. Pretty hillarious stuff, Michael. What's the 'R' stand for? Retard? Runt? Rodent? Take your pick, I suppose.

John Blankenship - This twit jumped in after I asked about prices for a piece of gear somebody from the company that makes it blatantly spammed the group about, with a link to the company's website that did not have prices of the gear he was hawking. Anyway, John decided to tell me that he had no problem finding the prices on the website. Whether he was lying or not is anyone's guess because he didn't reveal the price to me when he told me how easily he found it. I think John was probably making a very limp attempt at scoring some cronypoints but he could just be a run of the mill troll operating independently.

Willie K Yee, MD - This idiotic troll decided to post a new thread on July 16th, 2006 asking if 'Chevdo is still around' and if 'Phil is still around' and if 'Chevdo is the new Phil'. Phil, apparently is someone of the many previous victims of the mob, one of the many victims they've accused me of being. Yee is one of the lowest forms of cronymob suckup, on par with audioaesthetic for generating new threads for no purpose other than harassment.

jwvm - Capitolized on Yee's post to respond and announce that previous victim 'Phil' is 'smarter than Chevdo'. This nobody is obviously looking to score some cronypoints.

soeirntnpsro - obscure independent troll who apparently wants to manipulate the cronymob into helping him attack his personal nemesis 'simkatu', by telling the cronymob that Chevdo = simkatu. Soeirntnpsro suddenly appeared after the second posting of the FAQ, starting a new 'Chevdo thread', this time accusing me of being someone called 'simkatu'. I don't get the impression there was ever a concerted cronymob effort against 'simkatu', though, and they probably won't be enthused to join him in attacking 'simkatu' unless he starts sucking up to them rather than simply trying to manipulate them to do his bidding.

Dale - responded to soeirntnpsro's post with a paste of 'cheesedogs' first post. Cheesedog is the name that 'audioaesthetic' calls me, which is supposed to be insulting, I guess. It's a given that anyone using the name 'cheesedog' is a sock-puppet of audioaesthetic's (sock-puppets are additional posting identities used by a single person, often used to agree with and support his own postings under his standard name or pseudonym).

oldphart: probably another audioaesthetic sock-puppet, or a 'geezer' sock-puppet. His devastating insult was to claim that this FAQ is poorly written, full of spelling and grammar errors, and obviously the work of someone of high-school age. Ouch! Truth is, I never use 'spell-check' software (or more properly, 'spelling checking software'), mainly due to its propensity to allow properly spelled but improperly chosen words through, and because I am a very good speller, though I usually do look up any word I want to use that I think I might be spelling wrong. I've always made an effort to write as clearly and directly as possible, and using proper grammar tends to help with that. I'm sure you'll find this FAQ riddled with comma splices, for example, but that would be the extent of the bad grammar. I think that the fact that he felt the need to insult my writing is a result of his recognizing how well-written this FAQ is, and what a formidable mind is behind it.

William Sommerwick - long time crony, apparently the main abuser of the victim known as 'Phil'. The Phil vs. William saga doesn't seem to inspire the entire cronymob as much as the Cronymob vs. Chevdo saga, though. Some of the cronymob's victims are victimized on a limited basis, without all of the members of the mob participating. In fact it may be useful to differentiate between victims like Phil, and 'super-victims' like Chevdo. Super-victims not only cause the entire mob to participate in the attack, they are also the chief conduit whereby new recruits announce their intentions to be part of the cronymob by using the super-victim as their first target; an initiation of sorts. They probably feel safe doing so, knowing that they will get a universal thumbs up, whereas if they were to join a limited attack on a victim, they might be concerned that they could be jumping into what is simply a heated argument, rather than a mob attack.

0junk4me - Just a run-of-the-mill newbie crony-suckup, looking to move up in the heirarchy by joining the attack. His vector into the mob was the thread William Yee created for the specific purpose of abusing Chevdo.

Harvey Gerst - "Hey, you dumb, ****head ****wad, what more do I hafta do to get on your
goddamn list? Mike Rivers is currently about 50 feet away as I type this. He came up to visit after we both went to the NAMM show in Austin. If that doesn't qualify me for the Cronymob, what does?". - Harvey Gerst. See the * note at the end of the this section for explaination of Harvey's statement.

Richard Smol - another obscure moron who begged to be on this list. Now, if people begging to get on this list isn't prima facie evidence of the existence of the cronymob, I don't know what else could possibly provide that verification. The fact that cronymob leaders vehemently deny existence of the cronymob while cronymob wannabes and suckups beg to get on this list, is laughably ironic.

Jim Gilliland - "And even Harvey didn't make the list. Yet there are a few names on
there that I don't even recognize. I think it's the work of an amateur.". Jim's statement appears to be part of the growing trend of the cronymobsters reacting to the posting of this FAQ by admitting that the cronymob does in fact exist, and even going so far as to openly celebrate its canonization by this FAQ. But apparently, a 'professional victim' would've done a better job of documenting the cronymob, according to Jim (which is a terrible sitcom, BTW, but not as bad as Reba).

Joseph Ashwood - tried to downplay the abuse a recent poster asking about Behringer received, and in the process of downplaying that abuse told the victim (Nono) to "feel free to ignore Chevdo, most everyone does". Just another run-of-the mill suckup who probably thinks that sucking up to the rec.audio.pro cronymob is the first step in achieving a wonderous career working in audio, with pros and celebrities! Maybe he'll even get to meet Justin Timberlake? He gets weak in the knees at the thought!

Julian - Yet another dim-witted crony wannabe who is otherwise nobody.

TheBenevolentUniverse - Anyone who thinks the universe is or even should be benevolent has a screw loose to begin with, but this turd decided to jump into the same thread Ashwood did, after Ashwood did, pulling pretty much the same routine Ashwood did, except heavier on the Chevdo-bashing and lighter on the mitigating of cronymob abuse to victim, Nono. Not only is this guy a typical cronymob suck-up, he's also completely incapable of having an original thought, which explains why it took him so long to put together his generic and likely plagiarized Chevdo-bashing rant. After seeing so many previous Chevdo-bashing rants, he had plenty of material to borrow from.

* (note: there have been others that should have been added to the FAQ since the last posting, but I simply didn't have time to add them when they posted their drivel, but that's ok because they are so desperate for cronypoints, as soon as they discover they didn't make it to the FAQ this week, they'll ramp up their efforts and make sure I don't miss them next time around.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Chevdo Chevdo is offline

Oh no, the formatting is screwed up. I'll try to fix that.

In article vSRwg.120982$A8.108956@clgrps12, says...

* * *

[...]

A: The purpose is to document actual behavior that is occuring, but which a

large group of people (the cronymob) claim to be unaware is occu

Q: How come you seem to know so much about this, and can write about it so

articulately and authoritatively? Were you a member of this 'cro

A: No, I've never been a member of this cronymob, however, I think everyone

has probably been a part of a similar social group at some time

Much of what I learned about how cults are formed and how they operate is

analogous to the way the rec.audio.pro cronymob developed and ope

That knowledge probably helped me resist the social cues issued by the

cronymob to urge me to subordinate myself. Also as I mentioned earli

Q: This all seems so obsessive, don't you have anything better to do with your

time? Are you sure you're mentally stable?

A: Yes I definitely have better things to do with my time, which is why I've

compiled this FAQ rather than posting all day long every day in

Q: Yeah, but so many people seem to think you're 'the problem'. It seems odd

that so many people would be wrong, and you'd be right, doesn'

A: On the surface it might, until you investigate group dynamics. The entire

population of Germany put their support behind a similar group

Q: But Nazi Germany required a massive effort and organization to achieve,

whereas you claim this 'cronymob' has developed its sophisticated

A: That's because the cronymob has developed according to an evolutionary

model, but don't get me wrong, this is a peculiar anomaly. I've p

Q: Ok, if you're so well-adjusted and mentally stable, why write this

voluminous FAQ? Shouldn't you be 'above' all this, or at least have s

A: Well I'm sure I do have plenty of things better to do than writing this

FAQ, but this FAQ is written to save me from wasting more time re

* -- Note: although the cronymobsters originally vehemently denied existence

of the cronymob, after the second posting of this FAQ they took

* * *

List of victims:

[...]

List of Cronymobsters and Associates:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,alt.fuckhead.netkkkop.graham-stevenson
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Chevdo wrote:

* * *

rec.audio.pro 'Elephant in the Room' Cronymob FAQ Version 3.5 - posted every Sunday
last update: July 21th, 2006

Yawn !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
[email protected] TheBenevolentUniversePremise@gmail.com is offline

Agent 86 wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:29:56 +0000, Chevdo wrote:

Oh no, the formatting is screwed up.

That's the least of your problems.

LOL!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Animix Animix is offline

ROTFLMF'inAO!!!

"Agent 86" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:29:56 +0000, Chevdo wrote:

Oh no, the formatting is screwed up.

That's the least of your problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Bob Cain Bob Cain is offline

Chevdo wrote:

[tripe snipped]

Go away.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Peter Kendell Peter Kendell is offline

Ahah! Godwin's law!!!

Some things never change...

A: On the surface it might, until you investigate group dynamics. The
entire population of Germany put their support behind a similar group only
60 years ago. In fact, in relation to the previous question, its because
of my far above-average ability to resist social pressure that I am able
to take on the cronymob, rather than submitting to them or running away,
as all their previous victims have.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Peter Kendell wrote:
Ahah! Godwin's law!!!

Some things never change...

A: On the surface it might, until you investigate group dynamics. The
entire population of Germany put their support behind a similar group only
60 years ago. In fact, in relation to the previous question, its because
of my far above-average ability to resist social pressure that I am able
to take on the cronymob, rather than submitting to them or running away,
as all their previous victims have.

Please don't continue to crosspost this to aapls.

Ron(UK)
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Peter Kendell" wrote in message...

Ahah! Godwin's law!!!

Godwin's Law = "Murphy was an optimist." ( ? ? )

;-)

And I'd mic that with a '57

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

David Morgan wrote:

"Murphy was an optimist."

Hey, that's O'Toole's Corollary to Murphy's Law!

--
ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

"hank alrich" wrote ...
David Morgan wrote:

"Murphy was an optimist."

Hey, that's O'Toole's Corollary to Murphy's Law!

I prefer Cole's Law.
(finely shredded cabbage)
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

Chevdo wrote:
(A *lot* of stuff...)

Aww, jeez, ya poor bastid...who gives a ****? **** 'EM
if they can't take a joke. (And you, too.) But, there's this:

* -- Note: although the cronymobsters originally vehemently denied existence of
the cronymob, after the second posting of this FAQ they took to a predictable
strategy of mocking the FAQ by pretending to celebrate the reality depicted in
it, gleefully chattering about having Cronymob t-shirts made up for themselves).

Ahem. If I may say so, there may be a few posters (left) on AAPL-S who
remember something similar. The "Million Dollar Snob Team" (who
subsequently became known by their initials, "MDST") was a gaggle of
Behringer-bashers who actually *did* organize, complete with a website
AND actual T-shirts. They even sent me one, which I deserved, having
been the genesis of the moniker. If it makes you feel any better, Chevdo,
the remnants of the MDST now spend most of their time *defending*
Behringer products, as it has only taken them five or six years to come
'round to my (instant) realization that Behringer gear had (and has) one
of the better price/performance ratios in the industry. There's better
stuff, true, but it *always* costs a *****load* more.

And **** 'em if they don't like it. ;-)

Lord Valve
Expert (and they won't like THAT, guaranteed... ;-)