Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,rec.audio.tech

Default Filtering ideas

John Jardine. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
w2aew wrote:
Depending on "what" you need to measure on your signal, it might be a
good application for a lock-in amplifier. This technique is often used
to measure very small signals buried in noise.

Anyone have any thoughts on this Elliptic filter -

http://www.filter-solutions.com/active.htg/pos3.gif

It's the highest order Elliptic active filter I could find. It's not
bad, but would need at least 4 stages.

Paul

Opamp elliptics are a bit of a waste of time unless you have a particular
frequency to notch out.
Certainly useless if you want that 1MHz break frequency.
I'd guess a 30kHz filter might be appropriate.
Would suggest just stacking some simple 2nd or 3rd order Butterworth
designs.
john

Thanks for input. I see that you're 100% correct. Have you tried a
program called "Filter Solutions 2006?" It's a dream program. I'm very
disappointed in the Elliptic filters. The best bandpass filter I found
using a Pos SAB active implementation with lower & higher corner freq.
= 1KHz & 10KHz is a Chebyshev I. It requires only 4 op-amps for a 7th
order bandpass. Even after entering LM741 amp parameters I still get
-208db at 60Hz and -89db at 25KHz. Nearly 1db at 1KHz and 10KHz.
It's unbelievable! I'm curious what the disadvantages to a Pos SAB
active implementation since it uses less than half the parts-- 4
op-amps compared to 10. Here's the Spice Net List:

MULTIPLE ANALYSES
*
V1 1 0 AC 1
*V1 1 0 PULSE 0 1 0 5.033E-08 0
R111 1 2 4E+04
C112 2 7 1.069E-08
R113 2 0 2500
R109 2 3 1E+04
C101 3 4 1.504E-08
C102 4 5 1.828E-09
R103 5 0 5.737E+05
R104 4 7 2500
R106 6 0 1E+04
R107 6 7 1795
C108 4 0 2.183E-09
X101 5 6 7 OPAMP PARAMS: A=3E+11 B=4E+06
R211 7 8 2E+04
C212 8 13 6.06E-09
R213 8 0 5000
R209 8 9 1E+04
C201 9 10 1.001E-08
C202 10 11 7.2E-09
R203 11 0 1.051E+05
R204 10 13 5000
R206 12 0 1E+04
R207 12 13 2821
C208 10 0 1.469E-09
X201 11 12 13 OPAMP PARAMS: A=3E+11 B=4E+06
R311 13 14 2E+04
C312 14 19 6.288E-09
R313 14 0 5000
R309 14 15 1E+04
C301 15 16 7.512E-09
C302 16 17 1.434E-08
R303 17 0 7.002E+04
R304 16 19 5000
R306 18 0 1E+04
R307 18 19 2269
C308 16 0 9.47E-10
X301 17 18 19 OPAMP PARAMS: A=3E+11 B=4E+06
R401 19 20 1E+04
C402 20 21 1.451E-09
R403 21 0 1.557E+04
R404 20 23 3.513E+04
R406 22 0 1E+04
R407 22 23 7.787E+04
C408 20 0 1.451E-09
X401 21 22 23 OPAMP PARAMS: A=3E+11 B=4E+06
..AC DEC 200 0.1 2.5E+04
..PLOT AC VDB(23) -200 0
..PLOT AC VP(23) -200 200
..PLOT AC VG(23) 0 0.005
..TRAN 0.05 10 0
..PLOT TRAN V(23) -0.5 0.3
..END

*OpAmp Complex Model 1=+in 2=-in 10=Vo A=G*Bw Product(Hz)
B=Bw(Hz)
..SUBCKT OPAMP 1 2 10
+PARAMS: A=1.E+12 B=1.E+06
Rin 1 2 2.e+06
Cin 1 2 5.e-12
E1 3 0 1 2 1.0
Rp 3 4 1.0
Cp 4 0 {1/(2*PI*B)}
E2 5 0 4 0 {A/B}
Rout 5 10 500.
..ENDS OPAMP

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,rec.audio.tech
Joel Kolstad

wrote in message
oups.com...
Even after entering LM741 amp parameters I still get
-208db at 60Hz and -89db at 25KHz. Nearly 1db at 1KHz and 10KHz.
It's unbelievable!

It sure is! Unless you're cooling the with, e.g., liquid helium, thermal
noise alone is well above -208dB in any reasonable bandwidth! :-)

I'm curious what the disadvantages to a Pos SAB
active implementation since it uses less than half the parts-- 4
op-amps compared to 10.

Most likely sensitivity to component value variations -- run a Monte Carlo
simulation on each and see.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,rec.audio.tech
John Jardine.

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Jardine. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
w2aew wrote:
[...]

Yes, the prog is excellent. I recognised the circuit drawing. Don't believe
those incredible dB figures. In normal practice you're lucky to get anything
down to -80.
To spot those filter differences, initially pick a SAB type circuit design,
select a component on it, then on the drop down box go for a multiple run
Monte-Carlo analysis using random values for all the R's and C's. You'll see
some -really- ugly spreads on that original pristine response. Then do the
same using leapfrog and GIC implementations.
john

New install ideas Brandonb Car Audio 0 June 6th 05 04:20 AM
Speaker stacks and comb filtering Mark Pro Audio 71 May 31st 05 07:53 PM
High Pass Filtering - How Audible? Arny Krueger Audio Opinions 36 April 22nd 04 08:10 PM
Sound, and Sound Ideas CDs TEL Pro Audio 2 December 9th 03 02:31 AM