Posted to rec.audio.tech
ansermetniac

Default Cartrdige Phasing question

Believe it or not, a store sold me a used turntable with the + and - s
reversed( I.E. the +s was where the -s belonged and vice a versa) . I
made a few recordings that way. My software can do the following

1) Invert phase L
2) invert phase R
3) invert phase L + R

Should I leave it alone or choose one of the options

Abbedd
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

ansermetniac wrote:

Believe it or not, a store sold me a used turntable with the + and - s
reversed( I.E. the +s was where the -s belonged and vice a versa) . I
made a few recordings that way. My software can do the following

1) Invert phase L
2) invert phase R
3) invert phase L + R

Should I leave it alone or choose one of the options

Depends. Were both channels reversed? If so, you can probably just
leave it alone (few people can hear absolute polarity reversal) or
invert L + R.

If only one was swapped, only invert one, preferably the one that was
reversed.

Personally, I'd recommend replacing the stylus before making any more
recordings. Chances are you'll have to replace the cartride too.
That'd be a good time to make sure the wiring's right.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
ansermetniac

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:25:52 -0500, Walt
wrote:

ansermetniac wrote:

Believe it or not, a store sold me a used turntable with the + and - s
reversed( I.E. the +s was where the -s belonged and vice a versa) . I
made a few recordings that way. My software can do the following

1) Invert phase L
2) invert phase R
3) invert phase L + R

Should I leave it alone or choose one of the options

Depends. Were both channels reversed? If so, you can probably just
leave it alone (few people can hear absolute polarity reversal) or
invert L + R.

If only one was swapped, only invert one, preferably the one that was
reversed.

Personally, I'd recommend replacing the stylus before making any more
recordings. Chances are you'll have to replace the cartride too.
That'd be a good time to make sure the wiring's right.

//Walt

I fixed the wiring a long time ago. I have a cd-r of something rare
though and the lp is not handy. The Lefts and rights were correct.
Just in the wrong place + vs -

Abbedd
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

wrote:

ansermetniac wrote:

Believe it or not, a store sold me a used turntable with the + and - s
reversed( I.E. the +s was where the -s belonged and vice a versa) . I
made a few recordings that way. My software can do the following

1) Invert phase L
2) invert phase R
3) invert phase L + R

Should I leave it alone or choose one of the options

Depends. Were both channels reversed? If so, you can probably just
leave it alone (few people can hear absolute polarity reversal) or
invert L + R.

If only one was swapped, only invert one, preferably the one that was
reversed.

I fixed the wiring a long time ago. I have a cd-r of something rare
though and the lp is not handy. The Lefts and rights were correct.
Just in the wrong place + vs -

Was + and - reversed on BOTH left and right channel? Or was it only
reversed on one channel?

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ansermetniac

wrote:

ansermetniac wrote:

[...]

Both channells

Abbedd

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

ansermetniac wrote:
, Walt wrote:
ansermetniac wrote:
Walt wrote:
ansermetniac wrote:

[...]

Then either leave well enough alone, or invert both L & R. I'd just
leave it. Except in rare circumstances, a polarity reversal is not
audible, and for all you know the original LP may have been released
with the polarity reversed.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"ansermetniac" wrote in message

Believe it or not, a store sold me a used turntable with
the + and - s reversed( I.E. the +s was where the -s
belonged and vice a versa) . I made a few recordings that
way. My software can do the following

1) Invert phase L
2) invert phase R
3) invert phase L + R

Should I leave it alone or choose one of the options

This one of those questions that you should be able to answer for yourself
by simply observing the waves you record with your software.

Most music has enough mono attributes that inverting the polarity of one
channel should be obvious. If one channel frequently peaks higher up, and
at about the same time the other channel peaks higher down, then obviously
one channel is inverted.

Vinyl usually has more limited amplitude in the up direction. IOW the
stylus can usually dig a deeper hole, but once it has cleared the surface of
the raw master blank, it can't go any higher. The only way to avoid this
situation would be to dig a groove whose average depth was half the
thickness of the substrate, which AFAIK is never done.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James Lehman

Apparently, absolute phase doesn't matter enough to make sound card
manufacturers stick to any standard. I've hacked a few different kinds of
sound cards to make a laser projection signal generator. My code writes all
positive numbers to the wave files for the color channels. Some cards put
out a positive voltage and some put out a negative voltage. Kind of a
bummer, really! So, if you play your CD though a digital stream into your
sound card, it might or might not invert it without you even knowing about
it.

http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/

James. )

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
Believe it or not, a store sold me a used turntable with the + and - s
reversed( I.E. the +s was where the -s belonged and vice a versa) . I
made a few recordings that way. My software can do the following

1) Invert phase L
2) invert phase R
3) invert phase L + R

Should I leave it alone or choose one of the options

Abbedd

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gordon

Nothing is out of phase. There are two inductive AC loops inside of the
cartridge. If both channels were reversed + & - in their hookup then there
is relative no phase inversion between channels. Your recordings are fine.
Do nothing, but enjoy your recordings.

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
Believe it or not, a store sold me a used turntable with the + and - s
reversed( I.E. the +s was where the -s belonged and vice a versa) . I
made a few recordings that way. My software can do the following

1) Invert phase L
2) invert phase R
3) invert phase L + R

Should I leave it alone or choose one of the options

Abbedd

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jim Gregory

Default Cartridge Phasing question

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
Believe it or not, a store sold me a used turntable with the + and - s
reversed( I.E. the +s was where the -s belonged and vice a versa) . I
made a few recordings that way. My software can do the following

1) Invert phase L
2) invert phase R
3) invert phase L + R

Should I leave it alone or choose one of the options

Abbedd

Test it in an analogue manner. Like this...
While monitoring your vinyl, press your Mono Monitor (L + R) button, hoping
there is one, of course.
If the suspect cartridge coils are wired -in- phase, everything should Add,
with decent bass response and all info should appear to emanate from midway
between left and right speakers. You're OK.
If stereo is now -out of- phase, you'll lose bass and you will get a
Subtraction of info, with unnatural spacial positioning. Reverse wires from
a coil pair and re-test.
Jim

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:00:11 -0500, Walt wrote:

Then either leave well enough alone, or invert both L & R. I'd just
leave it. Except in rare circumstances, a polarity reversal is not
audible, and for all you know the original LP may have been released
with the polarity reversed.

//Walt

Absolute polarity isn't audible from recordings under any circumstances.
Its an audiophile myth. I took part in double blind tests of this effect
on two occasions where several 'golden ears' were convinced they could
without a doubt hear absolute phase, only to discover that statistically
their ability to detect it were no better than tossing a coin.

--jeff