Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Grainger Greg Grainger is offline

Default Good external DAC?

Anybody have any thoughts on a good external DAC?
I'm used to 'integrated' units so this is a
new idea for me.

Something in the $500 range would be nice, if possible.

Many thanks in advance,
Greg.
--
Greg Grainger grainger(at)vex.net

'What a world of gammon and spinnage it is, though, ain't it!'
- Miss Mowcher

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Apr 16, 11:21=A0am, (Greg Grainger) wrote:
Anybody have any thoughts on a good external DAC?
I'm used to 'integrated' units so this is a
new idea for me.

Why do you want to use an external DAC? Modern low-cost DAC chips
commonly used in competently designed CD players provide outstanding
sound quality.

Something in the $500 range would be nice, if possible.

You can get a very good CD player with great converters for half this
price or even less.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:58:53 -0700, jwvm wrote
(in article ):

On Apr 16, 11:21=A0am, (Greg Grainger) wrote:
Anybody have any thoughts on a good external DAC?
I'm used to 'integrated' units so this is a
new idea for me.

Why do you want to use an external DAC? Modern low-cost DAC chips
commonly used in competently designed CD players provide outstanding
sound quality.

Perhaps he wants to do a music server from his computer using something like
an Apple Airport Express.

Something in the $500 range would be nice, if possible.

You can get a very good CD player with great converters for half this
price or even less.

Not if he wants to do a server. For instance I have an Apple TV connected to
my television, but I have the optical digital output running over to my
outboard DAC connected to my stereo via a 25 foot-long TOSLINK cable. I can
access my iTunes music library (lossless compression) directly that way and
can listen to streaming internet radio as well, all up-converted to 24-bit/96
Khz! Couldn't do that without an outboard DAC, or a CD player that has
external inputs for outside audio sources, and there aren't too many of those
in any price range

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Apr 16, 11:21=3DA0am, (Greg Grainger) wrote:
[...]

If that is the case, a modern receiver will do the job. Again, you can
get decent receivers for well under $500.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote:

Not if he wants to do a server. For instance I have an
Apple TV connected= to my television, but I have the
optical digital output running over to my outboard DAC
connected to my stereo via a 25 foot-long TOSLINK cable.
I c= an access my iTunes music library (lossless
compression) directly that way a= nd can listen to
streaming internet radio as well, all up-converted to
24-bi= t/96 Khz! Couldn't do that without an outboard
DAC, or a CD player that has external inputs for outside
audio sources, and there aren't too many of t= hose in
any price range

If that is the case, a modern receiver will do the job.
Again, you can get decent receivers for well under $500.

I think this is an excellent point. The *right* place for the DAC is as
close to the loudspeakers as possible. In this day and age, this is often
the receiver. Technically speaking, the analog connection from the player to
the DAC is a major source of measurable contamination of the signal.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

about a decade ago, I bought a Martin Logan external DAC - model 360S - it
was the absolute best that I listened to (and for the double blind
fanatics - no, I did not do double blind testing - If I can't hear a
difference, I can't hear a difference - I wasn't looking for subtleties) ---
at the time I thought it was worth the 6 grand I paid for it. Given the way
prices for used equipment of this type go, I would not be at all surprised
if you could find one for your price - if you can, I think you would be
quite happy with it - the only down side is that it uses a lot of power and
the "off" switch just turns off the display - I added a real on/off switch
and saved a lot on my electric bill.

"Greg Grainger" wrote in message
Anybody have any thoughts on a good external DAC?
I'm used to 'integrated' units so this is a
new idea for me.

Something in the $500 range would be nice, if possible.

Many thanks in advance,
Greg.
--
Greg Grainger grainger(at)vex.net

'What a world of gammon and spinnage it is, though, ain't it!'
- Miss Mowcher

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 05:11:52 -0700, jwvm wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Again, what if you already have an amp and preamp? Why would you want to buy
a receiver? You can get the excellent Beresford TC-7510 (24/96) or TC-7520
(same with USB interface) DAC for around $120 on E-Bay.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Don't you mean DAC to amp?

I would prefer that the conversion to analog be made as close to the
loudspeaker diaphragm as possible. Unfortunately actual digital drive
loudspeakers do not seem to be possible yet. There are such things as
digital transducers whose output is air pressure variations, but they lack
resolution and frequency response.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 07:36:53 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

How so? If we agree that interconnects are merely conductors, and that
conductors have no sound of their own, then how would the interconnect
between a a DAC and a pre-amp or amplifier be any more or less of a source of
measurable contamination than would be, say, an interconnect from a CD
player, or an FM tuner, or an outboard phono preamp, or any other source
component that you could name? IOW, if cables add/subtract nothing from the
signal, as you (and I) assert, and as countless D-B tests have confirmed, how
is the analog link from the DAC any different?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:00:28 -0700, housetrained wrote
(in article ):

Benchmark DAC1

I'd like to know where you found a Benchmark DAC1 for $500! Best prices I've
seen are all over $900 for the DAC1 and over $1200 for the DAC1 with USB.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
housetrained housetrained is offline

"Greg Grainger" wrote in message
Anybody have any thoughts on a good external DAC?
I'm used to 'integrated' units so this is a
new idea for me.

Something in the $500 range would be nice, if possible.

Many thanks in advance,
Greg.
--
Greg Grainger grainger(at)vex.net

'What a world of gammon and spinnage it is, though, ain't it!'
- Miss Mowcher

Benchmark DAC1
--
John the West Ham fan

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

[...]

Right, they are all equally susceptible to hum and noise.

However, the signals from analog sources such as a FM tuner or an outboard
phono preamp are quite a bit dirtier all by themselves. It is highly
unlikely that those analog sources will provide program material with 85 dB
dynamic range. Such a thing is not only possible, but observable from a a
number of commercial CDs of musical performances.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David[_17_] David[_17_] is offline

"Greg Grainger" wrote in message
Anybody have any thoughts on a good external DAC?
I'm used to 'integrated' units so this is a
new idea for me.

Something in the $500 range would be nice, if possible.

I love my 20 year old Meridian 203 and would recommend it to anybody.
They go for about £100 on eBay and will hold there value for ever.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 05:16:33 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

OK, I get you now. "NO" interconnect is always better than "ANY"
interconnect.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 05:16:33 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Actually the problem isn't the interconnect - its the fact that we have an
analog circuit that is spread over two different audio components, two
different chassis. When I was testing consumer digital players for
pcavtech, I found that an unbalanced analog link running with peak voltages
in the 2 volt range limited dynamic range down into high 80 low 90 dB range.
If I did my measurement with a balanced input using the chassis of the
player as a reference as well as the signal ground, the measurements would
improve by 5-10 dB.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
sparky sparky is offline

On Apr 17, 7:03=A0pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

On Apr 17, 7:36 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"jwvm" wrote in message

On Apr 16, 8:32=3DA0pm, Audio Empire
wrote:
Not if he wants to do a server. For instance I have an
Apple TV connected=3D to my television, but I have the
optical digital output running over to my outboard DAC
connected to my stereo via a 25 foot-long TOSLINK
cable. I c=3D an access my iTunes music library (lossless
compression) directly that way a=3D nd can listen to
streaming internet radio as well, all up-converted to
24-bi=3D t/96 Khz! Couldn't do that without an outboard
DAC, or a CD player that has external inputs for
outside audio sources, and there aren't too many of t=3D
hose in any price range

If that is the case, a modern receiver will do the job.
Again, you can get decent receivers for well under $500.

I think this is an excellent point. The *right* place
for the DAC is as close to the loudspeakers as possible.
In this day and age, this is often the receiver.
Technically speaking, the analog connection from the
player to the DAC is a major source of measurable
contamination of the signal.

Don't you mean DAC to amp?

I would prefer that the conversion to analog be made as close to the
loudspeaker diaphragm as possible. Unfortunately actual digital drive
loudspeakers do not seem to be possible yet. There are such things as
digital transducers whose output is air pressure variations, but they lac=

resolution and frequency response.- Hide quoted text -

"There are such things as
digital transducers whose output is air pressure variations,"

Most people know them as speakers !

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 06:43:08 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 05:16:33 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in
message
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 07:36:53 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

[ Snipped for excess quotation. -- dsr ]

"jwvm" wrote in message

[...]

That's interesting. What could account for this? The only thing I can come up
with the is output driver for the CD player, but this doesn't seem
logical..??

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Actually the problem isn't the interconnect - its the
fact that we have an analog circuit that is spread over
two different audio components, two different chassis.
When I was testing consumer digital players for
pcavtech, I found that an unbalanced analog link
running with peak voltages in the 2 volt range limited
dynamic range down into high 80 low 90 dB range. If I
did my measurement with a balanced input using the
chassis of the player as a reference as well as the
signal ground, the measurements would improve by 5-10
dB.

That's interesting. What could account for this?

Problems relating to interconnecting chassis that are essentially floating
with respect to each other and earth ground. If you measure the voltage or
current between an ungrounded chassis and actual earth ground, you get
voltages, currents and signals that are all over the map. The shield of the
interconnect normally connects these together, but it has a finite
impedance, so there are differences in ground potential at each end. If
earth ground every chassis, then you create ground loops.

Just another reason why balanced I/O is such a problem solver if truely high
performance is your goal. Failing that, just pass digital signals around.
Oer, put everything you need into one box.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
George Flanagin George Flanagin is offline

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:21:01 +0000, Greg Grainger wrote:

Anybody have any thoughts on a good external DAC? I'm used to
'integrated' units so this is a new idea for me.
=20
Something in the $500 range would be nice, if possible.
=20

I have had very good luck with the e-mu 0404 USB. It accepts optical and=20
electrical digital signals, and emits both as well as an analog signal. I=
=20
am also pleased with the Behringer Ultracurve and Ultradrive. As Arny=20
says, having the multiple DACs close to the speaker (in this case, after=20
the crossover) gives excellent results.=20

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"sparky" wrote in message

On Apr 17, 7:03=A0pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

wrote:
Not if he wants to do a server. For instance I have
an Apple TV connected=3D to my television, but I
have the optical digital output running over to my
outboard DAC connected to my stereo via a 25
foot-long TOSLINK
cable. I c=3D an access my iTunes music library
(lossless compression) directly that way a=3D nd can
listen to streaming internet radio as well, all
up-converted to 24-bi=3D t/96 Khz! Couldn't do that
[...]

Except these aren't speakers.

The ones I'm most familiar with are exhaust gas circulation valves. They are
composed of a number of ports, whose size is a binary sequence.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald[_4_] Doug McDonald[_4_] is offline

On 4/21/2010 9:06 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:

That's interesting. What could account for this?

Problems relating to interconnecting chassis that are essentially floating
with respect to each other and earth ground. If you measure the voltage or
current between an ungrounded chassis and actual earth ground, you get
voltages, currents and signals that are all over the map. The shield of the
interconnect normally connects these together, but it has a finite
impedance, so there are differences in ground potential at each end. If
earth ground every chassis, then you create ground loops.

And its not just hum (or buzz). It can be lots of things. For example,
I live 1/4 mile from a 20,000 watt AM station. One gets gigantic
potential differences between boxes at 1.4 MHZ. And did I mention
the 50 kW of FM from the same tower? They can cause all sorts
of nonlinear problems.

I solved everything by powering absolutely everything off one high-current
wall outlet and connecting all the chassis together with interconnects
made of CATV aluminum wrapped RG-59 cables. Until I got cable instead
of Dish. Then all Hell broke loose since it had a different ground!

I had to make a special junction cable up that used both center conductor
and shield connected at one point through 300pF tiniest size chip
capacitors, the shield having 6 in parallel. This removed the audio
problems but let both cable directions pass down to whatever seems to
be actually needed (5MHZ????)

Doug McDonald