Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default speaker decoupling and spikes (contradiction?)

"Powell" wrote in message

For maximum effectiveness spikes should not be run
through any type of carpet interface (carpet/foam).

Shows lack of empirical evidence with speaker spikes. I've owned speakers
that came with them, it was easy to observe that their sharp tips cut right
though the carpeting and made solid contact with the harder substrate.

If you have high quality carpet, spikes just won't
penetrate the carpet/pad substrate.

Now you are contradicting yourself, Powell. First you make an absolute
unqualified statement, and then you limit your discussion to just a tiny
subset of all carpeting.

Nevertheless, you're still wrong. I've found that speaker spikes, when
attached to a suitably large and heavy floor-standing speaker, will cut into
even thick carpeting over thick padding. Perhaps your experience with
speaker spikes was obtained with a speaker that was too small and light,
such as K-Mart mini-monitors on a Wall-mart speaker stand.

The tightly
woven jute backing and under pad are the problem.
The conical shape of spikes simply will not couple
to the sub-floor... and I mean tightly. While it might
appear (feel) to you that your spikes are firmly in
they are still supported by the carper/pad. Sound
pressure measurements and auditioning indicate
only a poor improvement in fidelity if used in this way.

Then you're wrong again Powell. There's no evidence that there are anything
but trivial effects due to mechanically coupling the speaker to the floor.
I've seen the results of measurements on speakers that were sitting on
cardboard boxes and even hanging from the ceiling with fishline. Have you?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"thepaulthomas"
wrote in message

OK, gotcha. Thanks, Arny. Now what about things like
concrete cabinets?

Materials cost low, production and shipping costs high.

I have a small pair of Rauna speakers that I
like and they are made of concrete. Even though they are "bookshelf"
size speakers they weigh about 45 pounds each. Would you consider that
type of construction to be way beyond the point of diminishing
returns or would the significantly heavier concrete walls just be
similar in effect to the extra bracing you mentioned?

I think that current wisdom is that the ideal materials for making speaker
cabinets are not rock-hard but have a little give with some internal
damping. MDF has its moments.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Powell Powell is offline

Don Pearce wrote

Everyone else on here clearly knows a great deal
more than you.

Hehehe... oh right! Please site one major studio
monitor manufacture that doesn't tightly integrate
spikes in their design. You obviously have never
hear of manufactures like Wilson Audio, B&W,
KEF, Revel or Focal have you, old man?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Powell Powell is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote

snip quacking

Quack, quack, quack...

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:57:28 -0500, "Powell"
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote

Everyone else on here clearly knows a great deal
more than you.

Hehehe... oh right! Please site one major studio
monitor manufacture that doesn't tightly integrate
spikes in their design. You obviously have never
hear of manufactures like Wilson Audio, B&W,
KEF, Revel or Focal have you, old man?

Exactly. And you were the idiot who was claiming they don't work.

Speaker Stands: with or without spikes? Alex High End Audio 4 September 16th 06 03:47 PM
Speaker Stands: with or without spikes? Ale Tech 16 September 11th 06 03:10 PM
Decoupling screen grids from each other Tom Schlangen Vacuum Tubes 17 January 12th 04 05:07 PM
Speaker Spikes ?? Audio Opinions 3 January 10th 04 02:40 PM
What is the effect of too small a decoupling cap? Tre' Perry Vacuum Tubes 3 August 12th 03 06:36 PM