Posted to rec.audio.tech
Grumble

Default Speaker to line-in?

I was wondering if there is a way of converting the speaker output of a
cassette player to a signal suitable for line-input of a PC audio card.
There is no headphone-out on the device. The intention is to fit a car audio
cassette player into the PC. Will it even fit? Has anyone tried to do the
same thing? I know there is a company that makes one but it ain't cheap
http://plusdeck.com/englishsite/index.asp or at least it ain't as cheap as
I'd like it to be! I'd like to convert the family tape collection to mp3 but
I'm sick of all the cables and leads festooning this computer as it is
without adding any more to it with another piece of stand alone kit.

Thanks for any help

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:15:52 +0000 (UTC), Grumble wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way of converting the speaker output of a
cassette player to a signal suitable for line-input of a PC audio card.
There is no headphone-out on the device. The intention is to fit a car audio
cassette player into the PC. Will it even fit? Has anyone tried to do the
same thing? I know there is a company that makes one but it ain't cheap
http://plusdeck.com/englishsite/index.asp or at least it ain't as cheap as
I'd like it to be! I'd like to convert the family tape collection to mp3 but
I'm sick of all the cables and leads festooning this computer as it is
without adding any more to it with another piece of stand alone kit.

Thanks for any help

They're called speaker to line level adapters and the parts involved cost
about one dollar. Most car stereo shops have then for under $15. I think
even Radio Shack has them.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Grumble

wrote:

[...]

Thanks AZ Nomad, I'll look into that.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way of converting the speaker output of a
cassette player to a signal suitable for line-input of a PC audio card.
There is no headphone-out on the device. The intention is to fit a car audio
cassette player into the PC. Will it even fit? Has anyone tried to do the
same thing? I know there is a company that makes one but it ain't cheap
http://plusdeck.com/englishsite/index.asp or at least it ain't as cheap as
I'd like it to be! I'd like to convert the family tape collection to mp3 but
I'm sick of all the cables and leads festooning this computer as it is
without adding any more to it with another piece of stand alone kit.

As someone else has suggested, the car speaker/line adapters will take
care of the signal conversion but I wonder if
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Grumble" wrote ...
I was wondering if there is a way of converting the
speaker output of a cassette player to a signal suitable
for line-input of a PC audio card. There is no headphone-
out on the device.

Sure, just attenuate it using an inexpensive gadget as
others have suggested. However this is quite a noisy,
low-quality solution. Not suitable if you are looking
for any kind of quality. But then if the source is audio
cassettes and you are satisfied with a car player, then
maybe it doesn't matter?

The intention is to fit a car audio cassette player into
the PC. Will it even fit?

I've never seen one that would fit. But maybe you have
unusually small auto cassette players over on your side
of the Pond?

Has anyone tried to do the same thing? I know there is
a company that makes one but it ain't cheap
http://plusdeck.com/englishsite/index.asp or at least it
ain't as cheap as I'd like it to be! I'd like to convert the
family tape collection to mp3 but I'm sick of all the
cables and leads festooning this computer as it is without
adding any more to it with another piece of stand alone kit.

A conventional "component" cassette deck from a 2nd-hand
shop would likely do better than most any auto cassette unit.
Dunno about "cables and leads festooning" as it takes only
a single cable from the output of the cassette machine to the
line input of the sound card on your computer. It would be
difficult to make it more simple than that.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tomi Holger Engdahl

"Grumble" writes:

I was wondering if there is a way of converting the speaker output of a
cassette player to a signal suitable for line-input of a PC audio card.

Yes. Try this:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/speaker_to_line.html

Should work with normal Hifi equipment and not very powerful
car amplifiers. This circuit is not designed to be used with
devices that have "bridged" amplifier outputs (many car
equipment has such)!

There are commercial speaker to line adapters. Those
typically use audio isolation transformer so they work
safely also with "bridged" outputs.

There is no headphone-out on the device. The intention is to fit a car audio
cassette player into the PC. Will it even fit?

I am not sure of the machanical size matters car stereo vs PC case
fixing locations.

With enough tools and knowledge you should be able to modify the
PC case so that you can mechanically fit in car device in.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way of converting the speaker output of a
cassette player to a signal suitable for line-input of a PC audio card.
There is no headphone-out on the device. The intention is to fit a car audio
cassette player into the PC. Will it even fit? Has anyone tried to do the
same thing? I know there is a company that makes one but it ain't cheap
http://plusdeck.com/englishsite/index.asp or at least it ain't as cheap as
I'd like it to be! I'd like to convert the family tape collection to mp3 but
I'm sick of all the cables and leads festooning this computer as it is
without adding any more to it with another piece of stand alone kit.

How will you power the cassette player? Is there enough spare
capacity in the computer's power supply?

Car audio units are dsigned to resist certain kinds of interference.
But maybe not the sort of interference found inside a computer case.

You may be opening a can of worms here. I think a stand-alone player,
capable of being mounted a little distance from the computer, with a
proper Line Out, is a much better idea, even if it does involve a
couple of cables.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Grumble

"Grumble" wrote in message
I was wondering if there is a way of converting the speaker output of a
cassette player to a signal suitable for line-input of a PC audio card.
There is no headphone-out on the device. The intention is to fit a car
audio cassette player into the PC. Will it even fit? Has anyone tried to do
the same thing? I know there is a company that makes one but it ain't cheap
http://plusdeck.com/englishsite/index.asp or at least it ain't as cheap as
I'd like it to be! I'd like to convert the family tape collection to mp3
but I'm sick of all the cables and leads festooning this computer as it is
without adding any more to it with another piece of stand alone kit.

Thanks for any help

Ian

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. I have decided to go the
speaker to line level adapter route however, the physical size of the tape
player is going to be more of a problem but with a few modifications and by
repositioning the circuit boards above the player in an old cdrom case I
think I can do it. The mechanism itself is small enough to fit.
Take me a little time though.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:01:41 +0000 (UTC), "Grumble"
wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. I have decided to go the
speaker to line level adapter route however, the physical size of the tape
player is going to be more of a problem but with a few modifications and by
repositioning the circuit boards above the player in an old cdrom case I
think I can do it. The mechanism itself is small enough to fit.
Take me a little time though.

Hell of a lot of trouble to avoid putting a cassette player on top of
the computer and running a couple of cables.