Recording Bit and Sample Rates

Old September 13th 05, 10:37 PM
Here in Oregon

Default Recording Bit and Sample Rates

Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

Old September 13th 05, 11:00 PM
J. P. Morris

Here in Oregon wrote:

> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

15ips for session and final mixdown
16/44 for test mixes
24/96 for digitizing the 2-track tape

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief and Ultima
Old September 13th 05, 11:20 PM

44.1/24 bit with Sonar 4P and a Lynx L22.

DaveT

Old September 13th 05, 11:37 PM
Agent 86

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:37:17 -0700, Here in Oregon wrote:

> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are recording
> with?

Don't know what bravery would have to do with anything...

> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.

44.1/24 If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old September 14th 05, 12:25 AM

"Here in Oregon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

44K1/24

Old September 14th 05, 12:29 AM
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

"Here in Oregon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?

24/96 here. Start with as much information as possible before mixdown/edit,
then decimate later, when you are ready for the end delivery format of
44/16.

--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-

Old September 14th 05, 05:56 AM

Here in Oregon > wrote:
>Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
>recording with?

I record at 44.1 for stuff that will be issued on CD, and at 48 ksamp/sec
for film work that will be released at that rate. When I am not running
analogue tape, anyway.

Old September 14th 05, 07:10 AM
Paul Stamler

"Here in Oregon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

24/44.1 almost all the time, except for microphone tests and technical stuff
which I do at 24/96. And occasional remotes still go to DAT at 16/44.1.

Peace,
Paul

Old September 14th 05, 12:07 PM
Mike Rivers

Here in Oregon wrote:
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?

Will you publish the result of this poll?

For the record, most of the time, I record straight to 2-track with the
intent of burning a CD, and therefore use 16-bit 44.1 kHz.

For multitrack work with my Mackie HDR24/96, I usually use 24-bit 44.1
kHz just because I can, but I don't find the difference between 16- and
24-bit, with that recorder, in the circumstances in which I usually
record (not a dead quiet studio, usually on location with a fair amount
of ambient noise) to be earth shaking. Before I installed larger hard
drives in my Mackie recorders, I always used 16-bit to get 1/3 more
recording time on a disk when working on all-day shows.

I've never acutally used 96 kHz sample rate other than to see that it
works. And sometimes I record or mix to analog tape. No sample rate
needed.

Old September 14th 05, 12:55 PM
Arny Krueger

"Here in Oregon" > wrote in
message
oups.com
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate
> you are recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup
> are using with all of these converters coming out coupled
> with the power of the new computers and speed of the new
> hard drives.

16/44 for 24 track 30 minute live recording sessions. The
space requirements got to me, even at the current low cost
of hard drive space. If anything my recordings sound better,
but probably because I cleaned up other parts of the
process.