Knock Knock!

Old March 11th 20, 03:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

Default Knock Knock!

Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Old March 11th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:08:44 -0400, Mike Rivers >
wrote:

>Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Eternal September is stretching things a bit to reach as far as March.
But I'm afraid we are seeing the dying gasps of Usenet, the
coup-de-grace administered by Google Groups.

Old March 11th 20, 04:22 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 11:29:07 AM UTC-4, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:08:44 -0400, Mike Rivers >
> wrote:
>
> >Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

> Eternal September is stretching things a bit to reach as far as March.
> But I'm afraid we are seeing the dying gasps of Usenet, the
> coup-de-grace administered by Google Groups.

> --

some of us are still here.

Old March 11th 20, 04:59 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_]

On 3/11/2020 11:08 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Hmm, there's been a large audio discussion over on (of all places)
rec.photo.digital. ;-)
I wouldn't dare cross post for fear of an absurd flame-war.
--
==
Later...
Old March 11th 20, 06:42 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

> But I'm afraid we are seeing the dying gasps of Usenet

Is it that the multitude of web forums, each with their
own URL and login to remember, with their cumbersome
interfaces have replaced news groups? If so, I have
yet to find one that supplants RAP.

I actually do like mailing lists just as much as news.
I just filter the messages into a folder, at which point
the experience is indistinguishable from usenet (I'm
using Thunderbird).

Everyone has email, but usenet takes some doing,
including finding a reliable and permanent server.
I can see why new people don't get into it.

Anyone else remember the days of Archie and Veronica
when they had usenet, but you did it on the command
line, and the first step was to answer yes or no to
hundreds of groups?

Old March 11th 20, 07:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 3/11/2020 2:42 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> Is it that the multitude of web forums, each with their
> own URL and login to remember, with their cumbersome
> interfaces have replaced news groups?

There are too many places to go, so not a whole lot of active users
anywhere. Newbies don't want to read newsgroups or forums, they want to
see a how-to-to-it video.

Old March 11th 20, 08:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

> Like the old lady who refused to leave Pripyat.

There was an old lady from Pripyat,
who had defied the local consulate.
Three decades she stayed,
saying she wasn't afraid,
of her three-eyed and two-headed kitty kat.
Old March 11th 20, 09:02 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/03/2020 5:59 am, Ron C wrote:
> On 3/11/2020 11:08 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?
>>

> Hmm, there's been a large audio discussion over on (of all places)
> rec.photo.digital.** ;-)
> I wouldn't dare cross post for fear of an absurd flame-war.

I'm not here. Or there ;- )

Old March 12th 20, 04:16 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/03/2020 5:59 am, Ron C wrote:
> On 3/11/2020 11:08 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?
>>

> Hmm, there's been a large audio discussion over on (of all places)
> rec.photo.digital.** ;-)
> I wouldn't dare cross post for fear of an absurd flame-war.

Yeah please don't cross-post cos nospam might come here then !