alexis AD24

Old February 28th 20, 07:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
hans bos

Default alexis AD24

I want to hook up my AD 24 to the computer(mac) can I do this with an ethernet cable?
I have read that ethernet is too slow, is this correct? if so is there another way?
I have have also heard doing it by firewire, but the AD24 does nor have a firewire port,
What about those 3 digital ports on the AD24, is there a way to hub them together and go in via USB?
If I use ethernet how do I configure the set up so the computer sees the AD24 as I am really in the dark about setting up networks.
What I essentially want to do is get a good analogue mix on the board and record to the AD24
Then I have a hardcopy backup that I can use as a demo or rough mix.
The I want to do the final mix in LogiX
Can anyone advice me on this while keeping the instructions relatively simple.
I've been a drummer for 30 yrs and its time I learned about mixing and recording (been doing live recording a long time but have shied away from electronics and would really appreciate some help.
Old February 28th 20, 10:53 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 28/02/2020 8:41 pm, hans bos wrote:
> I want to hook up my AD 24 to the computer(mac) can I do this with an ethernet cable?
> I have read that ethernet is too slow, is this correct?

No.

> if so is there another way?

I take it you have all the info here ?

https://www.digitalaudio.com/livemix...-d49d3ccc-3feb

Old February 28th 20, 12:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 2/28/2020 2:41 AM, hans bos wrote:
> I want to hook up my AD 24 to the computer(mac) can I do this with an ethernet cable?

AD24? Are you actually asking about the Alesis HD24 hard disk recorder?

And if you aren't talking about the HD24, well, I've just wasted about
half an hour writing this reply. Where should I send the bill?

> I have read that ethernet is too slow, is this correct? if so is there another way?

It depends on what you mean by "hook up." The Ethernet port isn't there
for transferring audio data. What you can do with the Ethernet port
(maybe - there are some caveats) to export audio files that are recorded
on the HD24 hard disk to your computer. That will give you files that
you can import into a DAW program for editing and mixing.

> I have have also heard doing it by firewire, but the AD24 does nor have a firewire port,

Alesis made an accessory for the HD24 called the Fireport. It's a dock
for the removable disk drive that connects to a Firewire port on a
computer, allowing you to transfer files directly from the HD24 drive to
the computer - like with Ethernet, but with less fooling around.

> What about those 3 digital ports on the AD24, is there a way to hub them together and go in via USB?

Nope, at least not in a practical way.

> If I use ethernet how do I configure the set up so the computer sees the AD24 as I am really in the dark about setting up networks.

The process for setting up the connection between the HD24 and computer
is pretty well explained in the manual:

https://7132afa424c2f1a2ab6d-54d68a1...d24_manual.pdf

> What I essentially want to do is get a good analogue mix on the board and record to the AD24

That's easy as long as you have two empty tracks to record the mix back
to the HD24. Just connect stereo output of your mixer to two analog
inputs on the HD24, play back your mix and record it. You'll have to do
this in real time. If it's an hour-long concert, you'll need to let it
run for an hour. If it's one song, it'll be done in a few minutes.

That will give you two mono files that you can export (as above) to a
computer. For a demo or rough mix for others to listen to, you'll want
to convert the two tracks (left and right channels) to a stereo WAV or
MP3 file. That's a different subject for a different discussion, but
it's not difficult. Any audio editor program, for example, Audacity, can
do it.

> The I want to do the final mix in LogiX

You'd do that using the files that you export from the individual HD24
tracks. This could be simple or it might be messy, depending on how the
recording was made. I don't know how the HD24 exports a track that has
edits or punch-ins. If it exports "what you hear," then you won't have a
problem knowing what you're loading into what I hope is Logic, not
LogiX. If there's really a LogiX audio program, I don't know what it is.

> Can anyone advice me on this while keeping the instructions relatively simple.

This isn't really simple, but you can do it once you understand what you
need to do.

Old February 28th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29/02/2020 1:29 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 2/28/2020 2:41 AM, hans bos wrote:
>> I want to hook up my AD 24 to the computer(mac)* can I do this with an
>> ethernet cable?

Mike - time for a optician visit I think. *A*D 24 ;- )

Old February 28th 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 2/28/2020 5:55 PM, geoff wrote:
> Mike - time for a optician visit I think. *A*D 24* ;- )

Did you read what I wrote? I read AD24, but when he explained what he
wanted to do with it, I thought he must have been talking about the
Alesis recorder.

Old February 29th 20, 12:43 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>On 2/28/2020 5:55 PM, geoff wrote:
>> Mike - time for a optician visit I think. *A*D 24* ;- )

>Did you read what I wrote? I read AD24, but when he explained what he
>wanted to do with it, I thought he must have been talking about the
>Alesis recorder.

If he IS talking about the alesis recorder, doesn't it have lightpipe out?
There are lightpipe-to-PCI cards out there.

And of course if it's only a couple tapes you can send them off to Steve
Puntolillo and let him do the work.

Old February 29th 20, 02:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 2/28/2020 7:43 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> If he IS talking about the alesis recorder, doesn't it have lightpipe out?
> There are lightpipe-to-PCI cards out there.

I had thought about that, but they're kind of scarce these days. What
you can buy pretty easily are USB interfaces with two ADAT optical ports
but that's not enough if he has more than 16 channels unless he does
them in two passes and fiddles around to get them in sync.

Old February 29th 20, 05:57 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29/02/2020 12:17 pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 2/28/2020 5:55 PM, geoff wrote:
>> Mike - time for a optician visit I think. *A*D 24* ;- )

> Did you read what I wrote? I read AD24, but when he explained what he
> wanted to do with it, I thought he must have been talking about the
> Alesis recorder.

Maybe if the OP could clarify that what he typed was indeed correct, or
not, it would save everybody going off on a tangent ....

Old February 29th 20, 02:31 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 2/29/2020 12:57 AM, geoff wrote:
> Maybe if the OP could clarify that what he typed was indeed correct, or
> not, it would save everybody going off on a tangent ....

Maybe, just maybe. Too often, though, they don't follow up after they
see a reply or two that isn't helpful. Who knows? Maybe mine wasn't
helpful, maybe it was exactly what he was asking for. "Alexis" and "24"
were the clues that I was working from.

But clearly the solution isn't the Livemix AD-24.