LAME conversion to MP3

Old February 19th 20, 09:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio

Default LAME conversion to MP3

This message follows on from a previous message to this forum. I need
confirmation that I have used the right parameters saving to MP3, and
that the audio quality of the MP3 file is as good as that of the WAV
file.

This message pertains to; http://c-compiler.com/myfiles/a-mp3.zip

The original WAV is at; x.wav

I have converted this file to MP3. Please listen to; x.mp3

According to Windows Media Player, the bit rate of the source file is
192 Kbps, see "windows-media-player.jpg"

According to VLC, the source file has sample rate 48,000 Hz and bits
per sample 16. This particular codec (IMA WAV ADPCM Audio) actually
has 4 bits per sample, but this is decompressed to 16 bits per sample.
See "vlc.jpg".

According to MediaInfo, the source file has sample rate 48,000 Hz and
bit rate 192 kb/s, with a bit depth of 4 bits (which is decompressed
to 16 bits, as noted above), see "mediainfo.jpg".

According to Total Recorder, the source file has sample rate 48,000 Hz
and bit depth 4 bits, see "totalrecorder.jpg".

I use the LAME encoder with Total Recorder to convert the WAV to MP3,
see "totalrecorderA.jpg".

The media format in Total Recorder specifies sample rate 48,000 Hz and
bit rate 192. This is in keeping with the parameters for the source
WAV file, see "totalrecorderB.jpg".

Finally, opening the new MP3 file (converted from WAV) gives the
screen shown in "totalrecorderC.jpg". Bit rate for the MP3 is 192
kbit/s and sample rate is 48,000 Hz.

There are essentially two questions I need to ask.

(1) I have used the parameters for the source WAV file when creating
the MP3 file. Is this a sensible approach? Audio quality is top
priority.

(2) Please tell me if the audio in the MP3 file is as clear as with
the WAV. I think it is, but I would like to be re-assured.

The words on the recording are, "people like that should be .... I
know, they should be homeless".

Thank you for responses.
Old February 19th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio

On 20/02/2020 10:48 am, lid wrote:
> This message follows on from a previous message to this forum. I need
> confirmation that I have used the right parameters saving to MP3, and
> that the audio quality of the MP3 file is as good as that of the WAV
> file.

An MP3 can *never* have as good quality as its source WAV file.

That said 192kHz can be pretty much 'as good' for most people on average
playback systems.

Surely you are still over-thinking this. S

> (1) I have used the parameters for the source WAV file when creating
> the MP3 file. Is this a sensible approach? Audio quality is top
> priority.

Yes.

> (2) Please tell me if the audio in the MP3 file is as clear as with
> the WAV. I think it is, but I would like to be re-assured.

Probably not quite the same, but nothing glaringly different. Most
people wouldn't know or care.

> The words on the recording are, "people like that should be .... I
> know, they should be homeless".
>
> Thank you for responses.

Given the quality of the source material, does it matter ? Or is the
objective to enable people to have the best shot at picking out the words.

Also if the WAV is 83KB and the resultant MP3 93KB, what is the point of
making it an MP3 in the first place - player compatibility maybe ?

Old February 19th 20, 10:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:04:04 +1300, geoff >
wrote:

>On 20/02/2020 10:48 am, lid wrote:
>> This message follows on from a previous message to this forum. I need
>> confirmation that I have used the right parameters saving to MP3, and
>> that the audio quality of the MP3 file is as good as that of the WAV
>> file.

>An MP3 can *never* have as good quality as its source WAV file.
>
>That said 192kHz can be pretty much 'as good' for most people on average
>playback systems.

Yeah, the bit rate of the source file is 192 Kbps, so creating an MP3
file with the same bit rate is obviously the best thing to do.

>Surely you are still over-thinking this. S

I'm not an expert at computer audio, and value the thoughts of people
more knowledgeable than myself.

>> (1) I have used the parameters for the source WAV file when creating
>> the MP3 file. Is this a sensible approach? Audio quality is top
>> priority.

>Yes.
>

>> (2) Please tell me if the audio in the MP3 file is as clear as with
>> the WAV. I think it is, but I would like to be re-assured.

>Probably not quite the same, but nothing glaringly different. Most
>people wouldn't know or care.
>
>> The words on the recording are, "people like that should be .... I
>> know, they should be homeless".
>>
>> Thank you for responses.
>>

>Given the quality of the source material, does it matter ? Or is the
>objective to enable people to have the best shot at picking out the words.

Yes, I want good audio quality, to allow people to hear on the MP3 the
same words which are on the source WAV.

>Also if the WAV is 83KB and the resultant MP3 93KB, what is the point of
>making it an MP3 in the first place - player compatibility maybe ?

Exactly. The source WAV doesn't work with MS Edge and other browsers,
whereas the created MP3 should work with everything.
Old February 20th 20, 08:05 AM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)

You will not ever get the same quality from any lossy compression as you do
from a wav or flac compressed file, alac on Apple, but the lower the bitrate
etc the worse it will get of course. Some of the variable bit rate mp3s do a
good job especially at level 3 very 44.1khz and 256kbits/sec max or greater.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old February 20th 20, 08:10 AM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)

One of the big problems you see are many cycles of conversion, and this
then adds some awful artefacts such as a gritiness or a modulation in out
tones and the swizzle effect in stereo where the phase is mangled in a
similar way to what happens to treble on a stretched cassette tape as it
snakes across the head. Another issue is just dull and uninteresting audio.
Its fine for non critical stuff, but I'd not want it to be used in a very
dynamic situation.
Brian

--
----- --

Old February 20th 20, 12:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 08:05:25 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
> wrote:

>You will not ever get the same quality from any lossy compression as you do
>from a wav or flac compressed file, alac on Apple, but the lower the bitrate
>etc the worse it will get of course. Some of the variable bit rate mp3s do a
>good job especially at level 3 very 44.1khz and 256kbits/sec max or greater.
> Brian

I've used the source WAV parameters; sample rate 48,000 Hz and bit
rate 192 kb/s; when converting to the MP3. I don't know if this is
proper for the destination MP3 file.

Advice? Thank you.

What I really want to know is whether the two files sound similar. I
think they do. Again, thanks for advice.
Old February 20th 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
John Williamson

lid wrote:

>>> Yes, I want good audio quality, to allow people to hear on the MP3 the
>>> same words which are on the source WAV.
>>>

>> To be honest, the only way I can tell what is being said on either file
>> wile listening on the laptop speakers is by reading the text.

> Do the two files sound the same? Can you detect any loss of quality
> between the source WAV and destination MP3?
>
> You might try using earphones, that will aid comprehension.

By the way, I just opened your original .wav file in Adobe Audition, and
it was a compressed file anyway before you started processing it.

Filename: x.wav
Folder: F:\Downloads\a-mp3 (1)
File Type: 48000Hz, 16-bit, Mono
Uncompressed Size: 374.71 KB (383,708 bytes)
File Format: ACM Waveform
Microsoft ACM: IMA ADPCM
Size on Disk: 94.05 KB (96,316 bytes)
Last Written (local): 2/20/2020 12:53:29.780
Length: 0:03.996
191,854 samples

This page explains what it has already done to your original recording.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ession-manager

Not all .wav files are uncompressed, or even the same format if not
compressed.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.