A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

NY



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old January 8th 20, 03:46 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,777
Default NY

On 3/01/2020 4:41 am, Tobiah wrote:
> On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
>>> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.


Each decade (or any time period) begins any time you choose it to! You
do realise the calendar has changed more than once since then?



>> I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version
>> of this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start
>> of a new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
>> Manufacturer's Association.
>>
>> You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
>> next decade beginning in 2031.
>>
>>

>
> We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's..* I'd hate to have to
> remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.


Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.





Ads
  #12  
Old January 8th 20, 04:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 636
Default NY


>> We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
>> remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

>
> Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.


As a programmer, I'm a subscriber to that view. So 1960 was the zeroth
year of the 60's The 60's was a decade that began Jan 1st 1960, and
ended just before Jan 1st 1970. The birth of Jesus has nothing to do
with it. No one said that we are starting the 202nd decade since then.
It's that we are starting a new decade that if of note to many people.

  #13  
Old January 8th 20, 07:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default NY

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 08:55:04 -0800, Tobiah > wrote:

>
>>> We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
>>> remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

>>
>> Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

>
>As a programmer, I'm a subscriber to that view. So 1960 was the zeroth
>year of the 60's The 60's was a decade that began Jan 1st 1960, and
>ended just before Jan 1st 1970. The birth of Jesus has nothing to do
>with it. No one said that we are starting the 202nd decade since then.
>It's that we are starting a new decade that if of note to many people.


So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

d
  #14  
Old January 9th 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 636
Default NY


> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
> question.
>


The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
a trick to your question?





  #15  
Old January 9th 20, 05:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default NY

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 08:46:26 -0800, Tobiah > wrote:

>
>> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
>> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
>> question.
>>

>
>The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
>1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
>a trick to your question?
>

No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
ends in a 1, not a 0.

d
  #16  
Old January 9th 20, 07:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
None
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 90
Default NY

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
...
>> The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
>> 1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
>> a trick to your question?
>>


> No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
> ends in a 1, not a 0.


The decade of the 2020's began in January, 2020. The 2020's are a decade.
That's the decade people mean when they refer to the decade that began
recently. There is also some ordinally-numbered decade that begins in 2021.
Nobody really cares about ordinally-numbered decades of the modern era.

The modern (aka Christian) era has a number line of years that is full of
anomalies and inconsistencies. It began in the years numbered in the several
hundreds, based on back-calculating from an origin that was arbitrary and
miscalculated. The rules regarding leap years have changed multiple times.
The timeline has been spliced and hacked multiple to accommodate errors and
anomalies. The date of the year's beginning has shifted. And in most usage,
it has no "year zero" (although many astronomers do use a year zero).

For these and other reasons, the reckoning of ordinally-numbered decades (or
centuries) seems to be of use only for pedantic posturing. These pedant's
decades have little use in the real world, where decades are much more
likely to be reckoned as beginning from years with numbers ending in zero.
The 2020's just began earlier this month. That's a decade. The "203rd decade
of the modern era" is a decade that nobody cares about.


  #17  
Old January 10th 20, 03:57 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,777
Default NY

On 9/01/2020 6:11 am, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 08:55:04 -0800, Tobiah > wrote:
>
>>
>>>> We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
>>>> remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.
>>>
>>> Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

>>
>> As a programmer, I'm a subscriber to that view. So 1960 was the zeroth
>> year of the 60's The 60's was a decade that began Jan 1st 1960, and
>> ended just before Jan 1st 1970. The birth of Jesus has nothing to do
>> with it. No one said that we are starting the 202nd decade since then.
>> It's that we are starting a new decade that if of note to many people.

>
> So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
> reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
> question.




Friday, 15 October 1582 for the Gregorian Calendar!



  #18  
Old January 10th 20, 04:19 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason[_15_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default NY

In article >, says...

> Friday, 15 October 1582 for the Gregorian Calendar!



Speaking of which... Years ago, at IBM, I saw a presentation by
a programmer there, Bruce Ohms, who devised a system for computing
the number of days between dates.

From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilian_date

"Lilian dates can be used to calculate the number of days between any
two dates occurring since the beginning of the Gregorian calendar. It is
currently used by date conversion routines that are part of IBM Language
Environment (LE) software."

This is a pretty big deal for some computations involving financial
instruments that date back hundreds of years.
  #19  
Old January 10th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default NY

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 14:27:11 -0500, "None" > wrote:

>"Don Pearce" wrote in message
...
>>> The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
>>> 1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
>>> a trick to your question?
>>>

>
>> No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
>> ends in a 1, not a 0.

>
>The decade of the 2020's began in January, 2020. The 2020's are a decade.
>That's the decade people mean when they refer to the decade that began
>recently. There is also some ordinally-numbered decade that begins in 2021.
>Nobody really cares about ordinally-numbered decades of the modern era.
>
>The modern (aka Christian) era has a number line of years that is full of
>anomalies and inconsistencies. It began in the years numbered in the several
>hundreds, based on back-calculating from an origin that was arbitrary and
>miscalculated. The rules regarding leap years have changed multiple times.
>The timeline has been spliced and hacked multiple to accommodate errors and
>anomalies. The date of the year's beginning has shifted. And in most usage,
>it has no "year zero" (although many astronomers do use a year zero).
>
>For these and other reasons, the reckoning of ordinally-numbered decades (or
>centuries) seems to be of use only for pedantic posturing. These pedant's
>decades have little use in the real world, where decades are much more
>likely to be reckoned as beginning from years with numbers ending in zero.
>The 2020's just began earlier this month. That's a decade. The "203rd decade
>of the modern era" is a decade that nobody cares about.
>


I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
numbers, statistics and general misconception. They had an article
about exactly this question. They had a statement from The Royal
Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
start on the year ending in a one.

End of discussion.

d
  #20  
Old January 10th 20, 07:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,111
Default NY

On 1/10/2020 12:00 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
> End of discussion.


For you, maybe. Others will be discussing this for the next 50 years.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.