NY

Old December 31st 19, 12:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default NY

It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
for 2020.

cheers

Old December 31st 19, 01:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 01:36:01 +1300, geoff >
wrote:

>It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
>for 2020.
>
>cheers
>
>geoff

You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

Old December 31st 19, 02:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

"Scholars differ on this issue." And, besides, some of us can't wait
for this decade to be over.

Old December 31st 19, 02:33 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 09:06:32 -0500, Mike Rivers >
wrote:

>On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
>> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

>"Scholars differ on this issue." And, besides, some of us can't wait
>for this decade to be over.

If any scholar can come up with a year zero I will change my mind.
You're dead right about wanting this one to be over though.

Old December 31st 19, 07:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

On 12/31/19 5:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 01:36:01 +1300, geoff >
> wrote:
>
>> It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
>> for 2020.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> geoff

> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

We had the same problem at the turn of the century.
After all was said and done, we (as a people) just decided that
the real excitement was in seeing three zeros in the year number.
Nothing else mattered.
Old January 1st 20, 02:19 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version of
this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start of a
new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
Manufacturer's Association.

You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
next decade beginning in 2031.

Old January 1st 20, 07:32 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:19:04 -0500, Mike Rivers >
wrote:

>On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
>> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

>I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version of
>this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start of a
>new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
>Manufacturer's Association.
>
>You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
>next decade beginning in 2031.

I fear the 2031 event will be someone else's problem.

Old January 2nd 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
>> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

> I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version
> of this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start
> of a new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
> Manufacturer's Association.
>
> You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
> next decade beginning in 2031.

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.
Old January 3rd 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

>We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
>remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

That's alright. There's always what I term 'decade lag' - the tendency for cultural
styles(in attire, music, industrial design - automotive, etc.). IE: a lot of popular
songs as late as 1962 still had a late-fifties style/tone to it.

Bell bottoms did not completely depart along with the Hostage Crisis of 1980.
Old January 3rd 20, 08:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 09:41:33 -0800, Tobiah > wrote:

>On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
>>> You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

>> I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version
>> of this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start
>> of a new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
>> Manufacturer's Association.
>>
>> You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
>> next decade beginning in 2031.
>>

>We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
>remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Well, the sixties didn't begin until 1963. Before that it was
definitely still the fifties. Culture is not beholden to numbers.