David Wood

Default Audio Compression

Clear Day
Where can I find good audio compression software? I want to be able to
compress the file size down to fit some radio interviews I have onto a single
cd. Thanks for any assistance.

Don

[Image]

Woah, please set your news posting client to post ONLY in HTML, and
don't add attachments to your posts. The size of this post is 166k,
when it could be 4k or less.
Todd H.

David Wood writes:

Clear Day
Where can I find good audio compression software? I want to be able to
compress the file size down to fit some radio interviews I have onto a single
cd. Thanks for any assistance.

Don

[Image]

Woah, please set your news posting client to post ONLY in HTML

WTF? Please tell me you mean "only text."

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Sean Bartholomew

whatever happened to mp3?
iTunes for mac and tons for PC. just go to tucows.com or shareware.com
u can also choose the QUALITY u need within the app. if u dont need
much hi fidelity since its only spoken voice AND u dont need stereo, u
can compress waaaaay down. ud probably be able to fit nearly 2 mins of
rec time for each Megabyte of storage. and u have 700MB at ur disposal
on a blank CD.
thats a lot of interview. over 20 hrs actually. hifi stereo would work
out to 10 hrs. mono to stereo for some reason doesnt translate to a
storage need ratio of 1:2, sample rate does.
and thats my 2 cents.

Clear Day
Where can I find good audio compression software? I want to be able to
compress the file size down to fit some radio interviews I have onto a single
cd. Thanks for any assistance.

Don

[Image]

Woah, please set your news posting client to post ONLY in HTML, and
don't add attachments to your posts. The size of this post is 166k,
when it could be 4k or less.

Category V UTP

Thank you for the response. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am
transfering these radio interviews (which are currently in mp3) onto cd's
for fellow group members. I need to make regular audio cd's that will play
in most (if not all) regular audio cd players. I need to get the file size
down somewhat. Any ideas?

"Sean Bartholomew" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Todd H.

"Category V UTP" writes:

Thank you for the response. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am
transfering these radio interviews (which are currently in mp3) onto cd's
for fellow group members. I need to make regular audio cd's that will play
in most (if not all) regular audio cd players. I need to get the file size
down somewhat. Any ideas?

If that's your concern, then file size isn't your problem--the limits
of your target medium are the problem.

You can (reliabilbly) record only 80 minutes of audio on a regular
audio CD-R for playing a regular CD player. Period, end of story.
It doesn't matter if the source files sit on your harddrive in mp3
format or WAV format, your burning software has to convert them to
16bit uncompressed (WAV-like) format for burning onto the disk.

If you want more minutes of audio on a single disc, you must go to an
mp3-CD which will require an MP3 aware CD player (odds are your group
doesn't all have, of course).

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."

Don

If you find a pitch and speed conversion program, you'd be all set. Increase
the speed of the recording, without lowering the pitch, and you are all set.
Sorry , but I don't know what programs can do this.

In article vtZib.97664$6C4.54243@pd7tw1no,
says...

Thank you for the response. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am
transfering these radio interviews (which are currently in mp3) onto cd's
for fellow group members. I need to make regular audio cd's that will play
in most (if not all) regular audio cd players. I need to get the file size
down somewhat. Any ideas?

"Sean Bartholomew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

malcolm

"Todd H." wrote in message
"Category V UTP" writes:

[...]

35 dollars at Walmart

Sean Bartholomew

hes absolutely right.
even if u go down to the crappiest quality. itll be still only 80 mins
of crappy quality.
u ARE limited to the audio CD ceiling.

[...]

Sean Bartholomew

good idea but...no, AND... a previous post gave me another idea.
speed up the recording about 50% (too much and ull introduce ugly
artifacts). do the dual mono thing on each track, (left and right).
get ur hands on a varispeed CD player. one like the DJ's use. then
slow DOWN the playback speed the same 50%. so now u have:
160 mins total (80 left and 80 right) at normal speed + 80 mins (40
extra mins each side) = 240 mins. thats 4 hrs.
not bad guys. all out of an 80 min CD. sweet.
this is exactly what happens when u put ur heads together. i LOVE
this.

If you find a pitch and speed conversion program, you'd be all set. Increase
the speed of the recording, without lowering the pitch, and you are all set.
Sorry , but I don't know what programs can do this.

CoolEdit Pro can vary the speed component.

Also, as has ben suggested before, (don't know if it works well),
the program content could be in stereo. If it is and you don't mind
the audio data being presented in a mono format, then convert
the data into mono, (80 minutes of it) and convert the "remainder"
also into mono.

Burn the CD with ....
first 80 to the left channel and the
second "80" to the right channel.
Play as appropriate .....

Richard Kuschel

Clear Day
Where can I find good audio compression software? I want to be able to
compress the file size down to fit some radio interviews I have onto a

single
cd. Thanks for any assistance.

Don

MP3 will do this nicely.

MP3 basically sounds like garbage but it would be ideal for radio interviews.

You won't be able to play it on a cd player, but you already knew that.

Richard H. Kuschel

David Wood

Clear Day
Where can I find good audio compression software? I want to be able to
compress the file size down to fit some radio interviews I have onto a
single
cd. Thanks for any assistance.

Don

[Image]

Woah, please set your news posting client to post ONLY in HTML

WTF? Please tell me you mean "only text."

Ack holy crap!! Did I say that? Yup, I did! Yes, I meant TEXT ONLY.
Morning brain fart there. Sorry