Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

Default Mic Cable for Interconnects

What is the name & model # of the very hi-end unbalanced mic cable so I can
buy in bulk and make my own audiophile interconnects? Thanks.

-west

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"west" wrote in message
What is the name & model # of the very hi-end unbalanced
mic cable so I can buy in bulk and make my own audiophile
interconnects? Thanks.

RG-6

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"west" wrote in message
What is the name & model # of the very hi-end unbalanced
mic cable so I can buy in bulk and make my own audiophile
interconnects? Thanks.

RG-6

RG59 is also good. I've made all my interconnects with it. RG6 is better
shielded (although there are inferior RG6 cables out there)but it's
questionable whether the extra shielding is of value for audio.

Both are 75 ohms cables, so they can be used equally well for analogue
or digital.

By the way, neither should be thought of as a "mic cable" as they are
unbalanced. For mic use, (or balanced analogue) I would go for a
star-quad cable.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
RG59 is also good. I've made all my interconnects with it. RG6 is better
shielded (although there are inferior RG6 cables out there)but it's
questionable whether the extra shielding is of value for audio.

No, it is not.

Both are 75 ohms cables, so they can be used equally well for analogue
or digital.

The cable impedance has no influence at all at audio frequencies when cable
runs are short. compared to the wavelength of the signal. For audio, runs
longer than roughly 1000 metres would need some impedance matching.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
RG59 is also good. I've made all my interconnects with it. RG6 is better
shielded (although there are inferior RG6 cables out there)but it's
questionable whether the extra shielding is of value for audio.

No, it is not.

Both are 75 ohms cables, so they can be used equally well for analogue
or digital.

The cable impedance has no influence at all at audio frequencies when cable
runs are short. compared to the wavelength of the signal. For audio, runs
longer than roughly 1000 metres would need some impedance matching.

Meindert

Correct. What I meant was that as the cable is 75 ohms, it can be used
for digital audio. Of course it can also be used for analogue, the
impedance then doesn't matter.

For runs of more than 10-20 metres I would want my circuits balanced in
any case.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article dQBxh.16120$VY5.2928@trnddc08, west wrote:
What is the name & model # of the very hi-end unbalanced mic cable so I can
buy in bulk and make my own audiophile interconnects? Thanks.

Go to the Belden catalogue. Look at the coax. Pick the one with the lowest
capacitance you can get. Belden 89269 is nice although it's kind of stiff.

The real solution to this problem is to use 600 ohm balanced interconnect
lines like the pro audio world has been using for nearly a century now.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes

Serge Auckland wrote:

RG59 is also good. I've made all my interconnects with it. RG6 is better
shielded (although there are inferior RG6 cables out there)but it's
questionable whether the extra shielding is of value for audio.

The problem is that most of the RG-6 and RG-59 cables out there have
aluminum screens and braid, which makes soldering problematic. You can
get copper RG-59, but you won't get it from the dumpsters behind the
cable headend. So check carefully before you take it home.

Note also that RG-59 won't fit into most RCA connectors, although RG-58
is usually okay.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes

"west" wrote ...
What is the name & model # of the very hi-end
unbalanced mic cable so I can buy in bulk and
make my own audiophile interconnects? Thanks.

I make mine from Belden 9259 which is a nice, flexible
RG-59 coaxial cable with real braided copper outer shield,
and stranded copper inner conductor. www.mouser.com
part # 566-9259-100 (100 ft roll)

I use crimp-on RCA connectors. I think this was what I
bought last time... www.mouser.com part # 171-8114
The inner conductor of the RCA is soldered, of course,
not crimped.

You can get heat-shrink tubing in at least 10 colors to
put around the connector for color-coding. I have an
expensive heat gun to shrink tubing, but I usually just
use a candle.

Real unbalanced mic cable is a rare thing (most mics being
low impedance balanced) and I would not recommend it
for audio interconnects. It is optimized for different things
(very low capacitance, low triboelectric effect, etc.) that
will only cost $$$ with no benefit for your application.
Also, termination is much more difficult than using RG
type coaxial cable with crimp connectors.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
RG59 is also good. I've made all my interconnects with it. RG6 is better
shielded (although there are inferior RG6 cables out there)but it's
questionable whether the extra shielding is of value for audio.

The problem is that most of the RG-6 and RG-59 cables out there have
aluminum screens and braid, which makes soldering problematic. You can
get copper RG-59, but you won't get it from the dumpsters behind the
cable headend. So check carefully before you take it home.

Note also that RG-59 won't fit into most RCA connectors, although RG-58
is usually okay.
--scott

RG58 is fine for analogue, but being a 50 ohms cable, it shouldn't be
used for digital (although for short runs it really doesn't matter). I
would be very unhappy to introduce any 50 ohm stuff into my system, as
after a while, one may well forget what the cable was, and find odd
things happening on longer digital runs.

I agree that RG59 is thicker, but some of the better quality phono/RCA
plugs will accommodate it perfectly well. I have used Audio Technica,
WBT and Neutrix plugs on RG59 with no problems (With Neutrix, you have
to remove the strain-relief spring).

S.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
message
"Serge Auckland"
wrote in
message ...
RG59 is also good. I've made all my interconnects with
it. RG6 is better shielded (although there are inferior
RG6 cables out there)but it's questionable whether the
extra shielding is of value for audio.

No, it is not.

Both are 75 ohms cables, so they can be used equally
well for analogue or digital.

The cable impedance has no influence at all at audio
frequencies when cable runs are short. compared to the
wavelength of the signal. For audio, runs longer than
roughly 1000 metres would need some impedance matching.

Agreed, but obviously the OP is not into functional considerations. If he
was, the interconnects that came with his equipment would pass those
audio-modulated electrons about as good as anything.

I recommended RG6 primarily because common types of it are hard to solder,
and yield a stiff, bulky cable. So much the better for the bragging rights!
;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Walt Walt is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article dQBxh.16120$VY5.2928@trnddc08, west wrote:

What is the name & model # of the very hi-end unbalanced mic cable so I can
buy in bulk and make my own audiophile interconnects? Thanks.

Go to the Belden catalogue. Look at the coax. Pick the one with the lowest
capacitance you can get.
Belden 89269 is nice although it's kind of stiff.

The real solution to this problem is to use 600 ohm balanced interconnect
lines like the pro audio world has been using for nearly a century now.

Um, few people/facilities actually use 600 ohm connections anymore. A
typical analog interconnect is a few ohms output impedance and a 10k or
more input impedance. Bridging vs. Matching.

Balanced is good though. Likewise Belden products.

For the OP, just use a single pair shielded cable like Belden 8451 and
ignore the black wire.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
"west" wrote in message
What is the name & model # of the very hi-end unbalanced
mic cable so I can buy in bulk and make my own audiophile
interconnects? Thanks.

RG-6

One thing is for sure, RG6 makes lousy *microhone* cable. Far too stiff for
the purpose IMO.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Real unbalanced mic cable is a rare thing (most mics being
low impedance balanced) and I would not recommend it
for audio interconnects.

In fact what most people call unbalanced mic cable is usually the same as
single conductor instrument cable. More often used for connecting electric
guitars, keyboards etc. rather than microphones.
Works perfectly well for audio interconnects, and a FAR better choice than
RG59/RG6 etc.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Meindert Sprang"

The cable impedance has no influence at all at audio frequencies when
cable
runs are short. compared to the wavelength of the signal. For audio, runs
longer than roughly 1000 metres would need some impedance matching.

** Here we go again with another know nothing fool sprouting half baked ham
radio theory on an audio forum.

FYI :

1000 metres of unterminated 75 ohm co-ax has a **capacitance** of about
70nF.

If driven from a 600 ohm source, the response at the * drive* end would be
over 3 dB down by 3.8 kHz, ie the bandwidth of a telephone !!!

Terminating the co-ax with 75 ohms would eliminate the response droop
problem while appropriate matching at each end would eliminate voltage loss
as well.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Mr.T"

In fact what most people call unbalanced mic cable is usually the same as
single conductor instrument cable. More often used for connecting electric
guitars, keyboards etc. rather than microphones.

Works perfectly well for audio interconnects, and a FAR better choice than
RG59/RG6 etc.

** How so ?

RG59 ( 6.15mm OD ) has about 10% the capacitance of " instrument cable "
and unlike the latter fits easily in most RCA plugs.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Works perfectly well for audio interconnects, and a FAR better choice

than
RG59/RG6 etc.

** How so ?

*FAR* more flexible.

RG59 ( 6.15mm OD ) has about 10% the capacitance of " instrument cable "

Depends on the instrument cable, and if the length is enough to worry about
it, in most cases you should be going to balanced anyway.
For the usual 1-2 metre interconnects, it is not a factor.

and unlike the latter fits easily in most RCA plugs.

Are you suggesting using the cheapest available RCA pugs with 6mm instrument
cable, rather than buying the readily available RCA plugs designed for that
cable? Hell you get as much benefit from the better Neutrik etc. connectors,
as you will from the cable.

However 4mm or 5mm instrument cable is also available. Just what crap plugs
don't fit that?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Mr.T"

Works perfectly well for audio interconnects, and a FAR better choice
than RG59/RG6 etc.

** How so ?

*FAR* more flexible.

** Not important for cables that stay in one place.

RG59 ( 6.15mm OD ) has about 10% the capacitance of " instrument cable "

Depends on the instrument cable,

** So you cannot see the word "about" ?

and if the length is enough to worry about
it, in most cases you should be going to balanced anyway.

** Plenty of cases exist where unbalanced is more appropriate.

For the usual 1-2 metre interconnects, it is not a factor.

** Shame about what can happen with longer runs.

Shame about sources with impedances over 3000 ohms - ie Quad 33 and lotsa
valve stuff.

and unlike the latter fits easily in most RCA plugs.

** No sane answer given.

However 4mm or 5mm instrument cable is also available.

** But not near as cheaply or so readily as the thicker kind.

You have lost on every point - asshole

**** off.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
*FAR* more flexible.

** Not important for cables that stay in one place.

In your opinion. Still put's a strain on those crappy RCA connctors
connectors you want to use though.

RG59 ( 6.15mm OD ) has about 10% the capacitance of " instrument cable

"

Depends on the instrument cable,

** So you cannot see the word "about" ?

Sure did, but then your statment is worthless.

and if the length is enough to worry about
it, in most cases you should be going to balanced anyway.

** Plenty of cases exist where unbalanced is more appropriate.

You didn't see the statement 'in most cases" :-)

For the usual 1-2 metre interconnects, it is not a factor.

** Shame about what can happen with longer runs.

So who was taliking about longer runs? Not the OP from what I saw.

Shame about sources with impedances over 3000 ohms - ie Quad 33 and

lotsa
valve stuff.

Yes, antiques require special consideration.

and unlike the latter fits easily in most RCA plugs.

** No sane answer given.

...... from Phil, very true.

However 4mm or 5mm instrument cable is also available.

** But not near as cheaply or so readily as the thicker kind.

What crap.

You have lost on every point - asshole

Says you and no one else. How surprising :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Mr.Turd the Asshole"

( snip this asinine cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left )

** You have lost on each and every point - asshole.

Back to the kiddie porn for you.

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"the Asshole"
( snip this asinine cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left )

So True!

** You have lost on each and every point

I am SOOO worried about YOUR judgement :-)

Back to the kiddie porn

Don't let me keep you from it then.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Tim Padrick Tim Padrick is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"the Asshole"
( snip this asinine cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left )

So True!

** You have lost on each and every point

I am SOOO worried about YOUR judgement :-)

Back to the kiddie porn

Don't let me keep you from it then.

MrT.

Linn Analogue Interconnect. Simple, affordable, sounds very good.
http://www.knekt.com/spec_sound/prod...avBar=Playback

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Mr.Turd the Asshole"

( snip this cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left ! )

** You have lost on each and every point - asshole.

Back to the kiddie porn for you.

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Phil Allison the wrote in message
( snip this cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left ! )

** You have lost on each and every point - asshole.
Back to the kiddie porn
......... Phil

Your autoresponder seems to be stuck Phil.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default Mr. Turd Bites Dust

"Mr.Turd the Autistic Asshole"

( snip this cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left ! )

** You have lost on each and every point - asshole.

Back to the kiddie porn.

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes

"Mr.T" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
Real unbalanced mic cable is a rare thing (most mics being
low impedance balanced) and I would not recommend it
for audio interconnects.

In fact what most people call unbalanced mic cable is usually the same
as
single conductor instrument cable. More often used for connecting
electric
guitars, keyboards etc. rather than microphones.
Works perfectly well for audio interconnects,

Using what connectors, exactly?

and a FAR better choice than RG59/RG6 etc.

Using what connectors, exactly?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Geoff Geoff is offline

Tim Padrick wrote:
"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

Linn Analogue Interconnect. Simple, affordable, sounds very good.
http://www.knekt.com/spec_sound/prod...avBar=Playback

I auditioned one of these against some others including a $5
rat-shack-equivalent, and could discern no difference at all. And with a
simple single-blind unscientific test, neither could the cable's
owner/investor.

Build quality was good, but so were some others @ around the $20 mark.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

[...]

I know Phil, that deep down inside you like me. Perhaps sometime we can
meet.

Fondly,
west

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] me@here.com is offline

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:13:31 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Mr.T"

In fact what most people call unbalanced mic cable is usually the same as
single conductor instrument cable. More often used for connecting electric
guitars, keyboards etc. rather than microphones.

Works perfectly well for audio interconnects, and a FAR better choice than
RG59/RG6 etc.

** How so ?

RG59 is microphonic in high Z circuits, it puts out noise when excited by
vibration.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

In fact what most people call unbalanced mic cable is usually the same
as
single conductor instrument cable. More often used for connecting
electric
guitars, keyboards etc. rather than microphones.

Works perfectly well for audio interconnects, and a FAR better choice
than
RG59/RG6 etc.

** How so ?

RG59 is microphonic in high Z circuits, it puts out noise when excited by
vibration.

** Not even faintly an issue with line level audio interconnects - you
******.

Guitarists can notice it if they have a lead made with RG58 or 59 plugged
into a GUITAR amp while unterminated at the instrument end.

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] me@here.com is offline

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:02:42 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

In fact what most people call unbalanced mic cable is usually the same
as
single conductor instrument cable. More often used for connecting
electric
guitars, keyboards etc. rather than microphones.

Works perfectly well for audio interconnects, and a FAR better choice
than
RG59/RG6 etc.

** How so ?

RG59 is microphonic in high Z circuits, it puts out noise when excited by
vibration.

** Not even faintly an issue with line level audio interconnects - you
******.

no one mentioned high level, wankee... or S/N... read his post above,

I'll re-quote it for you: (please don't snip it later...)

you said:

Guitarists can notice it if they have a lead made with RG58 or 59 plugged
into a GUITAR amp

GUITAR amp? You didn't see those words above? You didn't notice he said
guitar amps?.

I did, and I answered your inquiry to his post perfectly.

while unterminated at the instrument end.

Un terminated??? Bull****! a pickup is a termination... cable noise can be
heard while playing.

......... Phil

losing it

yer really slipping, phil, I OWN you!!!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Phil the Turd Bites Dust

"Phil Allison the Autistic Asshole" wrote in
message ...
( snip this cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left ! )
** You have lost on each and every point - asshole.
Back to the kiddie porn.

Your autoresponder is still stuck Phil.

BTW, keep advertising your fixation on kiddie porn, hopefully they will lock
you up soon!

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
and a FAR better choice than RG59/RG6 etc.

Using what connectors, exactly?

Obviously the ones your equipment requires if not RCA!

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Geoff" wrote in message
Tim Padrick wrote:
"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

Linn Analogue Interconnect. Simple, affordable, sounds very good.

http://www.knekt.com/spec_sound/prod...63&activeNavBa
r=products&activeSubNavBar=Playback

I auditioned one of these against some others including a $5
rat-shack-equivalent, and could discern no difference at all. And with a
simple single-blind unscientific test, neither could the cable's
owner/investor.

Build quality was good, but so were some others @ around the $20 mark.

Why is my name there though when you have included nothing from me?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default Mr.T = Trevor the Autistic

"Mr.Turd the Autistic Asshole"

( snip this cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left ! )

** You have lost on each and every point - asshole.

Back to your kiddie porn sites.

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mr.T wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
Tim Padrick wrote:
"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

Linn Analogue Interconnect. Simple, affordable, sounds very good.

http://www.knekt.com/spec_sound/prod...63&activeNavBa
r=products&activeSubNavBar=Playback

I auditioned one of these against some others including a $5
rat-shack-equivalent, and could discern no difference at all. And
with a simple single-blind unscientific test, neither could the
cable's owner/investor.

Build quality was good, but so were some others @ around the $20
mark.

Why is my name there though when you have included nothing from me?

MrT.

Mr T = Mr Titchy ?

Didn't you post the above

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

Linn Analogue Interconnect. Simple, affordable, sounds very good.

?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Phil Turd the Autistic Asshole

"Phil Turd the Autistic Asshole" wrote in message
( snip this cretin's verbal diarrhoea = nothing left ! )
** You have lost on each and every point - asshole.
Back to the kiddie porn sites.

Your autoresponder is still stuck Phil.
Let's hope the Federal Police take you and your kiddie porn fixation away
real soon!!!

MrT.