Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Poll: WMA vs. MP3

"Walt" wrote in message

.5(R-L) + .775(L+R) = 1.75(R) + .275(L)

Since he is first doing a difference of L and R, that can be .5(R-L)

*or* .5(L-R)

Well, he says he "invert[s] the phase left channel", so I'll take him at
his word. That's the only place he say he (intentionally) inverts

polarity.

You are disregarding the original phase relationships. Consider the formula
for negative R, or negative L, and everything in between.

What's unclear is what he means by "decrease the loudness of both
channels by 77.5%" before summing to mono - I wrote that as .775(L+R)
when it may well be .225(L+R)

That would give:

.5(R-L) + .225(L+R) = .725(R) - .275(L)

Why anybody would want to do this is beyond me.

Agreed.

MrT.

POLL for RADAR users and other interested parties Barry Pro Audio 15 December 2nd 04 06:53 PM
New poll on XP Geoff Wood Pro Audio 6 November 18th 04 06:59 PM
New poll on XP Geoff Wood Pro Audio 0 November 17th 04 10:44 AM
Some new poll results - Bye, Bye Bush Sandman Audio Opinions 15 December 19th 03 05:07 PM