Northstar

Default Dick Pierce

Hi Does anyone know if Dick Pierce is still around? TIA

Richard Crowley

"Northstar" wrote ...
Hi Does anyone know if Dick Pierce is still around? TIA

Someone calling himself "dpierce" just posted to this newsgroup
a couple hours before your question. Is that who you are seeking?

Magnus

Does anyone know what Dick Pierce uses for loudspeakers?
I like to make my own without breaking the bank.

MG

Richard Crowley

"Magnus" wrote ...
Does anyone know what Dick Pierce uses for loudspeakers?
I like to make my own without breaking the bank.

I'd bet that Mr. Pierce does. Or is this a game?

Per Stromgren

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:24:45 -0500, Magnus wrote:

Does anyone know what Dick Pierce uses for loudspeakers?

Mr Pierce usually does not name brands; not the one he design, not the
one he uses.

I like to make my own without breaking the bank.

You mean, building one of his designs? He won't publish them either,
for a good reason: his clients paid good money for them, and owns them
(I suppose)

Do you happen to live in Sweden, by the way? If so, check out the LTS
designs by Ingvar Öhman, available at http://www.hifikit.se/. They are
good, and won't break your bank.

Per.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:24:45 -0500, Magnus wrote:

Does anyone know what Dick Pierce uses for loudspeakers?
I like to make my own without breaking the bank.

Save the bank even more money, and buy a good commercial pair from a
reputable maker like KEF or B&W.

Sorry, unless you go to a *really* competent kit like the Linkwitz
Orion, you have no hope of competing with commercial designs. This has
been done to death a gazillion times.

And yes, I built my own for about twenty years. With age (and rotsa
ruck!) comes wisdom..........

Bull**** on stilts. Many very expensive commercially built speakers are
bad enough that doing worse would take effort. A hobbyist building any
of several popular kits will wind up with a pretty good speaker system.
If one invests in some test equipment and is willing to put forth the
time a first rate design effort is possible.

Many homebuilt speakers do suck, but that's not to say building good
ones is impossible.

Commercial speakers built for the high end market are often
overpriced because High End buyers would not consider them if they were
not. Also compromises (there are always those!) have to be made between
purity of design to solve particular problems and merchantability.

Since you mentioned B&W, I would point out their 801 as a case in
point. Most of the pro user base they had thought the old 801s were far
better speakers at a better price and not goofy and stupid looking like
the current one.

I am not a speaker builder per se and have no axe to grind as far as
speaker design goes. But it's obvious that many alleged top pros are
full of **** in the home hi-fi speaker business.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 31 Mar 2005 19:57:15 -0800, wrote:

Bull**** on stilts. Many very expensive commercially built speakers are
bad enough that doing worse would take effort. A hobbyist building any
of several popular kits will wind up with a pretty good speaker system.
If one invests in some test equipment and is willing to put forth the
time a first rate design effort is possible.

But much less likely than just popping out and purchasing a pair of
fully-designed items, such as Dynaudio Audience 52ses, for which you
cannot buy the drivers. This most basic obstacle applies also to many
other manufacturers, including B&W and Thiel.

Many homebuilt speakers do suck, but that's not to say building good
ones is impossible.

It is however unlikely...............

Commercial speakers built for the high end market are often
overpriced because High End buyers would not consider them if they were
not. Also compromises (there are always those!) have to be made between
purity of design to solve particular problems and merchantability.

Since you mentioned B&W, I would point out their 801 as a case in
point. Most of the pro user base they had thought the old 801s were far
better speakers at a better price and not goofy and stupid looking like
the current one.

To use your own phrase - bull**** on stilts. The pre-Nautilus 801 was
greatly inferior, and looked even goofier.

I am not a speaker builder per se and have no axe to grind as far as
speaker design goes. But it's obvious that many alleged top pros are
full of **** in the home hi-fi speaker business.

Ah, so you're claiming to be a top pro, are you? :-)

Magnus

Hard to believe one cannot make a respectable 2-way speaker with all the
new drivers out there and computer evaluation methods. Surely the new silk
dome tweeters and fibre drivers would exceed anything we can buy
commerically if we keep the budget down to $400.

I like Quad and Apogees much more than KEF's or B&W's.
Why can't we clone a Sonus Faber?

MG

Magnus wrote:
Hard to believe one cannot make a respectable 2-way speaker with all

the
new drivers out there and computer evaluation methods. Surely the new

silk
dome tweeters and fibre drivers would exceed anything we can buy
commerically if we keep the budget down to $400.

I suppose since my name is in the topic, I might as well actually
contribute to the thread, knowing full well that some idiot out
there will completely misrepresent what I say anyway. Better, I
suppose, to misrepresent what I say instead of misrepresenting
what I don't say. Now, to the immediate question at hand.

Designing a speaker to be sold into a market and designing a speaker
for oneself are VERY different excercises at almost every step. The
requirements are VERY different, and the results can often be very
different. Why is this so? Well, let me, by example, illustrate
some of the issues that are crucial in one realm but largely
irrelevant the other.

The BIGGEST difference is that in the case of designing a system
for yourself is that you don't have to worry about selling it. That
alone makes a huge difference in the way you approach it, in areas
of appearance, shippability, and much more.

Another example: manufacturability and costs. One often hears that
the ratio between the raw parts cost and suggested retail in the
speaker business is around 1:4 or 1:5. This is largely true and
results in an economically viable model based on some assumptions.
One assumption is that labor costs are reaosnably controlled, and
that assumption has a string influence on, for example, the cabinet
design. If you only have to make one pair, and you're doing this
in your spare time, cabinet manufacturing labor costs are of no
consequence: nobody with any serious cash is competing for your
spare time anyway. That's not true when you're trying to pay your
employees and your rent and more.

Yet another example: One can take advantage of any number of
crossover optimization programs that can optimize the system
acoustic response, but many if not most ignore the consequential
system impedance. If you end up with a system that has dead nuts
flat xial and power response and dips to 1/2 ohm impedance at 250
Hz, you do not have a speaker that has ANY hope of making it in
the market, because it just won't work with most amplifiers.
WHo's going to buy it? Imagine, for example, a 2-way under $700
system that's +-2 dB 50-22 kHz, but with an impedance under 2 ohms.
It's price point suggests it gets mated with middle of the road
receivers, all of whom are intolerant of such loads.

COmmercial speaker have to survive UPS intact. They have ot be
serviceable. A manufacturer must have a steady, consistent
supply of specific components to support the product over its
projected larket lifetime and beyond (for repairs). All these
issues weigh heavily on determining the design, and are largely
irrelevant for a home DIY'er.

One of the consequences of all these issues is that the components
that go into a commercial model may not be available, even though
they look an awful lot like what you could buy off the shelf. I know
of a number of manufacturers that purchase their drivers from Seas,
Peerless, Scan Speak and such. I also know that the drivers these
manufacturers use are different in not-very-subtle ways from the
off-the-shelf versions that one can get in small quantities.

On the topic of "computer evaluation methods" I assume that we are
talking, among other things, about the relatively inexpensive and
widely available sofwtare and hardware packages out there for
measuring speakers. And, yes, their widepsread proliferation has
in some respects "democratized" loudspeaker measurement. But easily
available equipment DOES NOT make you an expert.

Measuring speaker RIGHT is a REAL tough job. Interpreting the
results and including that interpretation into the system
optimization is also quite tough. In some respects, the DIYer's
job is made easier by the fact that they DON'T have to sell it,
fix it or support it, that they DON'T have to worry about the myriad
of design contradictions (well, many they DO have to worry about,
but if the system breaks because they didn't, no great harm is done).

So, here are two tasks:

1. Design a speaker system that you'll like. Take as much time
as you want, don't worry about how it looks, don't worry about
what other people think about it. You have no size, weight
or cost restrictions. You can pick the exact piece of equipment
it will be used with. You're going to be the only one using
it, it never has to be "finished" because you're going to
be tweaking it to suit what YOU want it to be.

2. Design a speaker system that 25,000 people will like enough
to make them part with a substantial junk of change. You have
no more than 2 months to bring the concept to final design.
It has to have a footprint not exceeding 10" wide by 14"
deep, can't weigh any more than 60 pounds per cabiner, has
to have a retail price of no more than $1300. It's got to
look like a million smackers and fit with any plausible decor.
It has to withstand abuse. It has to be able to survive a
3 foot drop off the tailgate of a UPS truck unscathed. It has
to work well and ALL the time with ANY piece of electronics
And, when all is said and done, you'd like to have at least a
LITTLE more money than when you started.

Will you end up with the same design?

No.

That's my point, I don't disagree with anything you said in this post.
The earlier anti-DIY post was along the same line of thinking as "you
shouldn't build a homebuilt airplane because you're not Kelly Johnson,
and no homebuilder or kit maker is, because none of them have ever
built a SR-71 yet."

A homebuilt speaker is as different from a manufactured design as a SR
is from a Wittman Tailwind. I use these airplane analogies because a
lot of people build airplanes to get around the high price of factory
built ones. Eventually the Asians will start building a type certified
light airplane at a reasonable price, Cessna and Lycoming will DIE, and
we will all cheer.... (maybe not...).Right now it's one of the few
things you can't get via Wal-Mart from China-built by Chinese workers
for nothing and financing the Chinese military which will level Los
Angeles if we try to stop them when they invade Taiwan. (They were,
however, good enough to tell us so, so you can't be angry at them.)

You generally build a speaker for performance, education and
satisfaction as opposed to purely saving money because if price is the
goal used speakers of supportable design are available inexpensively.
Unlike used airplanes they have no colossal fixed maintenance costs.

Homebuilt speakers trade off your time, energy, and willingness to
learn and the savings on material costs (you don't mark them up by a
factor of five) and freedom from shippability, supportability, esthetic
issues vs. the quantity purchase discount, amortized R&D, and in some
cases competent professional design and construction (inhouse or
outside hired gun) of the factory. Both can be excellent or ****ty. If
you like building things and want to learn how they work building a
speaker is OK. If you just want to plug them in and listen buying is OK
too.

In my case I am having built some speaker cabs by pro woodworkers, to
designs I roughly drew up and had turned into high quality CAD drawings
by a friend who does it for a living, derived from some old published
drawings. I will then finish and stuff the cabs and will be soley
responsible for their performance. If the sound sucks I have no
recourse. I am assuming the liability (an overused word in aviation
where corporate stupidity got it rammed up their ass, and deservedly so
in large part!) and benefitting from the risk-my speakers will cost,
when finished, a little less than had I bought new factory built
examples of the design whose IP I essentially stole (although legally
no IP exists anymore unless the company wants to pull a Fender and
claim its configuration as a trademark thirty years after the fact.).
However, mine will use more expensive components and be built heavier
and more ruggedly, and wll incorporate handles and jack/wheel points
so to make moving easier.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:05:03 -0500, Magnus wrote:

Hard to believe one cannot make a respectable 2-way speaker with all the
new drivers out there and computer evaluation methods. Surely the new silk
dome tweeters and fibre drivers would exceed anything we can buy
commerically if we keep the budget down to $400.

You need to remember that the drivers are connected to a cabinet, and
are connected via a crossover. There's a reason why the Dynaudio
Contour range is twice the price of Audiences which use the same
drivers............................

I like Quad and Apogees much more than KEF's or B&W's.

So do I (I own Apogees), but I wouldn't attempt to build a clone of
either! :-)

Why can't we clone a Sonus Faber?

Because they spent many years voicing the cabinet and crossover.

Somewhat off-topic, but you're an utter arsehole vis-a-vis general
aviation. Perhaps the most brilliant airplane designer of the second
half of the 20th century, Burt Rutan, pulled out of GA (as did
everyone else) because chicken-**** Americans refuse to take
responsibility for their own dumbery, and insist on sueing other
people for *their* stupidity.

Thank you. I wear it as a badge of, if not honor, at least honesty.
It's a VERY unpopular opinion.

I have the same kind of respect for Burt and Dick I do for someone who
can memorize the phone book, and does. They can do something I can't.
But they are still nearly idiot savants. The Vari-EZ started with VW
power. That went away because unlike the rest of the entire sport
aviation world they couldn't make a VW work. So they promoted the piece
of **** direct drive beat and pound museum piece 1930s technology lawn
tractor piece of **** Lycoming. The Pond Racer was another
no-common-sense deal that got Rick Brickert killed, then of course it
was the fault of the no good auto conversion engines.

They were blowing **** out their ass on product liability from day one
because they were never sued. AFAIK they haven't been to this day.

Canards suck, moldless sandwich composite for homebuilders sucks,
Lycomings suck, and Burt and Dick suck. Let them go back to ****ing
corporations out of millions with goofy concept prototypes and leave GA
alone.

**** Burt and Dick.

Is that nice and polite and noncomittal enough for you?

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

A homebuilt speaker is as different from a manufactured design as a
SR is from a Wittman Tailwind.

More calcified ******** from one of the most calcified minds on
Usenet.

A homebuilt speaker and a highly-regarded commercial speaker can be
quite similar, if not absolutely identical. The design of a
loudspeaker is one of the easier things in the world to
nondestructively discern from a working example. In many cases the
drivers are off-the-shelf designs. The crossover components are
relatively easy to purchase or fabricate. The enclosure is often just
a fairly small woodworking project. There ain't a whole lot else in
most speakers.

Martin Schöön

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:52:56 +0200, Per Stromgren wrote:

Do you happen to live in Sweden, by the way? If so, check out the LTS
designs by Ingvar Öhman, available at http://www.hifikit.se/. They are
good, and won't break your bank.

Per.

A friend of mine built a pair of those - the monitor sized two
element model - last year. I made a fairly thorough but totally
non-scientific listening test in January. Verdict: Very good indeed.
Exceptional stereo imaging (holographic is a popular buzz word)
that wasn't compromised by big orchestras getting really worked up
(Shostakovich and Prokofiev). Chamber-trad-jazz was another a jaw-
dropper - that big saxophone sounded so real, dry and big. I heard
new details in most of the music I listened to. A few times I couldn't
decide if my own speakers or those LTS speakers were the better ones.
Were the LTS speaker sharpish at the very highest frequencies or
were my speakers simply doing that recording a favour (John Holloway
playing Biber violin sonatas on an ECM CD)?

Value for money? He got those speakers for some 400 Euro. Out of
curiosity I sampled wat is currently available on the market in
Stockholm and found that to get similar sound quality one would
have to tripple the money - at least tripple the money.

Note: The base model is a three element floor stander. I am tempted
to go for that one once I get my room in order but last time
I checked them out I was told Seas is not producing that low-freq.
element any more.

Martin Schöön * * * * * * * * * *"Problems worthy of attack
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * prove their worth by hitting back"
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Piet Hein

still learning

Mr. Pierce:

Would it be possible to critique any of the designs found at the site
listed below?

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/

Yeah Arny, just build a box about so big, put a couple of drivers in
there and some random coils and caps (and a light bulb, like Peavey!)
and you're good to go.

The speaker itself may indeed be identical, but _how the design got
there_ from an evolutionary point, is different. (Unless you just copy
the existing one, which actually is how most things are "designed"
today. Richard Stallman makes a very good point on this, but eight to
five you never heard of him.) That was Dick Pierce's point, _with which
I agree_, in the context of Stewart's anti-DIY fountain of vinegar
water.

As for Burt and Dick Rutan and their designs, I don't actually think
they are stupid. I think thy are somewhat common-sense-challenged, as
are most really futuristic thinkers. I bear them no ill will. But I DO
think their homebuilt designs were poor choices for a project for most
people who would want to build their own airplane. And I DO think that
the Lycoming aircraft engine is like a single-ended triode amp in that
far better choices exist today for people not needing a type
certificated powerplant, because it has ben long superceded and because
using a general purpose engine with a redrive offers huge
advantages-such as being able to run the engine without a prop for
maintenance and protecting the engine from internal damage in the event
of a prop strike.

It may sound surprising for someone who drives Corvairs to say, but
air cooled engines are obsolete now. No one but Harley-Davidson and
Lycoming-both overpriced junk for retarded yuppies-builds them anymore.
You could not get an air cooled plant to pass EPA emissions in a car
anymore. Air cooled VW's, Porsches, Corvairs, and Tatras are OK for
hobby cars but for gneral purpose ownership are vulnerable to total
engine failure if driven with a dysfunctional fan (e.g. broken belt).
Even Deutz quit making their trusty loud Airdiesel engines.

Liquid cooling, electronic ignition, and a good Gilmer belt or
gear-and-quillshaft redrive on the back of a good flywheel, are
literally the only way to fly as far as I am concerned. (Unless you can
afford a PT-6.)

Martin Schöön

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:57:09 -0800, dpierce wrote:

big snip

One of the consequences of all these issues is that the components
that go into a commercial model may not be available, even though
they look an awful lot like what you could buy off the shelf. I know
of a number of manufacturers that purchase their drivers from Seas,
Peerless, Scan Speak and such. I also know that the drivers these
manufacturers use are different in not-very-subtle ways from the
off-the-shelf versions that one can get in small quantities.

This is pretty much the reason given for Seas not being interested
in continuing to manufacture those bass elements I mentioned
elsewhere in this thread: Too tailored compared to the standard
(off the shelf) product for the small production volume. The kit
market isn't big enough. The other two elements are also modified
but only midly so.

another big snip

Martin Schöön * * * * * * * * * *"Problems worthy of attack
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * prove their worth by hitting back"
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Piet Hein

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 2 Apr 2005 14:40:36 -0800,
wrote:

(snip)

Re gas turbine engines: At what horsepower does the gas turbine

become
cheaper than an ever larger internal combustion engine?

Most turbines are built using total disregard for build cost, but
beautifully, whereas most modern recips are built with build cost as
the number one consideration. A PT-6 or a 331 Garrett uses fully
machined high energy metals in areas where a good aluminum sand casting
or even Detroit Wonder Metal would work fine if you accepted a certain
weight gain. (It would still be lighter than a piece of **** Lycoming.)
So its apples vs. oranges.

Despite their cost-no-object design, the price is even higher because
they are selling to cost-insensitive markets in low volume and are
protected by type certification and the perception of serious product
liability issues-a perception they created perhaps (in hindsight) for
this purpose. When sophisticated multiaxis CNC machines came into use
the tooling costs of manufacturing such engines (a stated cost factor
in explaining the price) as the PT-6 plunged-the price did not.

Turbines can be manufactured inexpensively-every diesel engine on the
American road today has one attached to it, in the form of a
turbocharger. A simple centrifugal flow turbine, such as the
Turbomeca/Continental J69, could very certainly be built for the same
cost as a four cylinder Lycoming.

If you are going to spend that much money isn't passive crossover a
little ridiculous anyway?

Arny Krueger

wrote in message

Re gas turbine engines: At what horsepower does the gas turbine
become cheaper than an ever larger internal combustion engine?

It depends on whether you count operational costs. It depends on
operational conditions. Gas turbines as sea-level power sources, are
significantly less fuel-efficient than say diesels. I believe that at
30,000 feet in an high-performance airplane, gas turbines are net more
economical than a diesel.

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message

Re gas turbine engines: At what horsepower does the gas turbine
become cheaper than an ever larger internal combustion engine?

It depends on whether you count operational costs. It depends on
operational conditions. Gas turbines as sea-level power sources, are
significantly less fuel-efficient than say diesels. I believe that

at
30,000 feet in an high-performance airplane, gas turbines are net

more
economical than a diesel.

Gas turbines running at design power and designed to run continuously
at that power at sea level are roughly comparable to diesels-large slow
speed diesels have only a small advantage in BSFC. Getting efficiency
from a gas turbine over a wide range of speeds and conditions requires
thermal feedback in the form of regeneration or recuperation. Chrysler
and GM in the United States and Rover in the UK all demonstrated
entirely succcessful powerplants-in some markets some of these designs
could be profitably marketed today. Indeed, WIlliams Research was in
effect financed by Chrysler stockholders. Sam Williams left Chrysler
just as Edson de Castro split from DEC to form Data General around what
would have been the PDP-11 as the Nova.

still learning

Apr 3, 12:31 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.audio.tech
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 3 Apr 2005 12:31:28 -0700
Subject: Dick Pierce

If you are going to spend that much money isn't passive crossover a
little ridiculous anyway?

Why, so long as they achieve a smoth transition, what difference does
it make how it's achieved.
Why add unneccessary expense?

First, it's not unnecessary and secondly, in the grand scheme of
things, it's not that expensive.

I think the best way to use "modern" amp technology is to build it
into the speaker. I like active, multi-amped speakers in principle. The
execution hasn't been there yet, except maybe for some really expensive
products. Active speakers by prosumer recording /sound reinforcement
companies are not realistic choices for serious home listening
(although I'd love to have a pair for barbecues and so forth). If you
are determind to have more channels than ears this makes even more
sense.

The Sonus Faber speakers-I assume you are talking about the expensive
one that has an airfoil leading edge cross-section, looking for all the
world like someone attacked a junked Bellanca-sounds merely okay. I
have heard them. A frst rate horn system blows them so far away it is
incomprehensible anyone would pay serious money for them except for the
belief visitors will think they are massively endowed to own such a
speaker. (As they would have to be, financially at least.) Reviews by
audiophile magazines aside, there is no question that a determined
amateur could build at least as good sounding a speaker. In fact, it's
sort of a low goal.

still learning

Apr 5, 11:39 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.audio.tech
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 5 Apr 2005 11:39:07 -0700

First, it's not unnecessary and secondly, in the grand scheme of
things, it's not that expensive.

If a smooth transition can be made with a passive xover, why not use
it?

I think the best way to use "modern" amp technology is to build it
into the speaker.

If the drivers you choose are going to work well with that kind of
technology.
Drivers and xovers need to be implemented in whatever way accompishes
the end of a smooth transition.

I like active, multi-amped speakers in principle.

As do I, in principle.

The
execution hasn't been there yet, except maybe for some really

expensive
products.

There's that cost factor I was referring to. Active xovers tend to
cost more.

Active speakers by prosumer recording /sound reinforcement
companies are not realistic choices for serious home listening

In your opinion.

(although I'd love to have a pair for barbecues and so forth). If you
are determind to have more channels than ears this makes even more
sense.

I'm determined to use whatever number of channels gives me the most
realistic sound.

The Sonus Faber speakers-I assume you are talking about the expensive

one that has an airfoil leading edge cross-section, looking for all

the
world like someone attacked a junked Bellanca-sounds merely okay. I
have heard them. A frst rate horn system blows them so far away it is
incomprehensible anyone would pay serious money for them except for

the
belief visitors will think they are massively endowed to own such a
speaker.

Again, your opinion. Not everybody likes horn speakers, I've heard
some good ones and some not so good. Just like any speaker design, or
any other choice of playback, people choose what they like, sometimes
for reasons other than sound, like space.

SF's look and sound very nice, but for me they are more about furniture
than sound.
I'd take a pair of Merlin VSM's over SF's any day.

(As they would have to be, financially at least.) Reviews by
audiophile magazines aside, there is no question that a determined
amateur could build at least as good sounding a speaker. In fact, it's

sort of a low goal.

As has been pointed out before, DIY speakers can be very good, but
unless one has the proper equipment for measurement, they are likely to
be second to professionally designed systems. There is also the
question of drivers available for DIY being different or flat out
unavailable for DIY.

I love the satisfaction of building my own, but the older I get and the
more Iearn, the less likely I am to try and design a system from the
ground up. Stil there are some great kits available, not the least of
which is the Linkwitz Orion.

Peter Larsen

still learning wrote:

If a smooth transition can be made with a passive xover,
why not use it?

First there is the "if" part of it, next there is the cost. Quality
components are costly, big high quality components are costlier, be it
polypropylene caps or be it air cored copper coils.

If that doesn't make the point, the do try listening to the same system
as active and as passive. I have once upon a time rolled a system back,
but that was because the intended mid- and high range amplifier (Luxman,
possibly called the MQ80, dual 40 watt valve amp, ca. 1977) was too
noisy for use with the compression driver of a Tannoy 12" dual
concentric.

Which is to say that there are always trade-offs to consider, what I did
do was to trade the valve-amp off .... O;-) ... sold it to a guy running
dual Lowther PM6's in ACE horns so that he could have one amp channel
pr. unit.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

still learning

Peter Larsen Apr 6, 1:12 am Newsgroups: rec.audio.tech
From: Peter Larsen -

still learning wrote:
If a smooth transition can be made with a passive xover,
why not use it?

First there is the "if" part of it, next there is the cost.

The if part is determined by driver choice. The cost for xover
components is certainly a variable, but big speaker companies buy in
large lots which brings the price way down.

Quality
components are costly, big high quality components are costlier, be

it
polypropylene caps or be it air cored copper coils.

Polypropylene caps don't sound any better than Mylar so that choice is
one that is made depending on who the systems are being marketed to.
Reasonable people don't spend extra money on parts that make no sonic
difference. A good engineer won't use drivers that don't mesh well.

If that doesn't make the point, the do try listening to the same

system
as active and as passive.

I have. As long as the xover was implemented properly it doesn't make
any difference. Joseph Audio seems to win countless awards with their
passive xovers.

Joe D'Appolito seems to be able to design excellent speaker systems
that don't use so called premium xover components and don't need active
xover networks.

I have once upon a time rolled a system back,
but that was because the intended mid- and high range amplifier

(Luxman,
possibly called the MQ80, dual 40 watt valve amp, ca. 1977) was too
noisy for use with the compression driver of a Tannoy 12" dual
concentric.

Which is to say that there are always trade-offs to consider, what I

did
do was to trade the valve-amp off .... O;-) ... sold it to a guy

running
dual Lowther PM6's in ACE horns so that he could have one amp channel

pr. unit.

Yes there are always compromises in speaker design, but well thought
out systems still sound excellent without active xovers. Virtually all
of the most highly regarded speaker systems do not use active xovers.

still learning

still learning Apr 2, 1:01 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.audio.tech
From: "still learning" -
Date: 2 Apr 2005 13:01:42 -0800

Mr. Pierce:

Would it be possible to critique any of the designs found at the site
listed below?

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius=AD/

OK, I f not Dick Pierce, how about any of the EE's here?

Notice the Soup speaker is nearly a clone an Avalon system.

Arny Krueger

Newsgroups: rec.audio.tech
From: "still learning" -
Date: 2 Apr 2005 13:01:42 -0800

Mr. Pierce:

Would it be possible to critique any of the designs found at the

site
listed below?

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius*/

OK, I f not Dick Pierce, how about any of the EE's here?

It's difficult to look at a loudspeaker design on paper and obtain a
sense of how it would sound.

OTOH, the designs appear to be fairly orthodox, using reasonably high
quality parts, etc. They might sound pretty good.

One major weakness is that the only performance information provided
is an on-axis frequency response curve.

still learning

Arny sez:

It's difficult to look at a loudspeaker design on paper and obtain a
sense of how it would sound.

OTOH, the designs appear to be fairly orthodox, using reasonably high
quality parts, etc. They might sound pretty good.

One major weakness is that the only performance information provided
is an on-axis frequency response curve.

Orthodox is OK by me, although the "Progress" is not a design that
shows up all that often, and it does include graphic evidcence of off
axis response, which looks pretty damn good.

I wonder if the fact that the Netherlands has had a voucher type school
system for about 100 years ahs anything to do with the seemingly higher
level of interest and accomplishment (IMO) of audio DIY projects that
oringinate there?

I was raised in Holland..but what on earth do you mean by voucher
type?
The Dutch are well trained in math etc, with the world's best
highschools (with Japan, typically).
The TU Delft is also excellent.
The Dutch also spend the most money per capita on audio of any
country.
Not sure what there is to explain here, but yes, we're damn smart

But lotsa great audio engineering goes on elsewhee too ofcourse!