Marc Brown

Default Way to artificially introduce highs into old recording?

Bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, as this question will no doubt
reveal. Basically, I've got some old recordings (audio tapes, LPs, even
CDs of poorly-mastered material) that exhibit an annoying absence of high
frequencies, making them sound just too dull. I'm after whatever process,
plugin, or whatever there is out there that can analyze such recordings
and guess, with reasonable accuracy, when to add highs, and what type..
that sort of thing. I suppose this primarily means white noise. Better
than nothing.

This would be essentially the same sort of restorative process as anti-
clipping, only something that works on the frequency spectrum.

I'm sure something along these lines exist, but since I lack the basic
knowledge of what terminology to apply to this scenario, I'm at a loss.
Any takers?

Thanks!
Colin Anderson

The Virtos Band Extrapolation filter will do what you need (mostly). If used
with the Waves L2 filter in hi res cd mode the results are much improved on
old recordings. Use them with sound forge or other audio app of your choice.
Cheers
Colin

"Marc Brown" wrote in message
m...
[...]

William Sommerwerck

You might also look for an Aphex Aural Exciter. There were several models, both
pro and consumer.

William Sommerwerck

You might also look for an Aphex Aural Exciter. There were several models, both
pro and consumer.

William Sommerwerck

You might also look for an Aphex Aural Exciter. There were several models, both
pro and consumer.

William Sommerwerck

You might also look for an Aphex Aural Exciter. There were several models, both
pro and consumer.

Peter Larsen

Marc Brown wrote:

Bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, as this
question will no doubt reveal. Basically, I've got
some old recordings (audio tapes, LPs, even CDs of
poorly-mastered material) that exhibit an annoying
absence of high frequencies, making them sound just
too dull.

IF there be real treble there, and not just distortion, then proper eq
can have a good mileage, but combining with digital noise-reduction may
be highly relevant.

I'm after whatever process,
plugin, or whatever there is out there that can analyze such recordings
and guess, with reasonable accuracy, when to add highs, and what type..
that sort of thing. I suppose this primarily means white noise. Better
than nothing.

No. It will prevent restoring the real treble that is there, albeit
weak, to its potential glory. Even doing nothing may be better than that
which you propose. Unless of course you really like the sound of
realmedia .... O;-)

This would be essentially the same sort of restorative process as anti-
clipping, only something that works on the frequency spectrum.

Anticlipping has some decent options for guessing what it should have
looked like when fixing a clipped peak. With this venture however you
are in my unexperienced opinion more likely to get good results by using
a combination of eq and gating ... the latter, in narrow bands, being
what digital nr is about.

I'm sure something along these lines exist, but since I lack the basic
knowledge of what terminology to apply to this scenario, I'm at a loss.
Any takers?

Previously the default swiss army knife to recommend would have been
CE2k with studio and noise reduction plug-ins. Adobe want you to pay for
the full Audition package instead of getting only the half of it you
need and have discontinued the "small" hobbyists version.

Thanks!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Bob Olhsson

"Marc Brown" wrote in message
m...
Bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, as this question will no

doubt
reveal. Basically, I've got some old recordings (audio tapes, LPs, even
CDs of poorly-mastered material) that exhibit an annoying absence of high
frequencies, making them sound just too dull.

This is what tone controls are for!

I've noticed that many computer-based players have hidden tone controls so I
would explore that first. Some of these default to some pretty strange
settings.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Scott Dorsey

Marc Brown wrote:
Bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, as this question will no doubt
reveal. Basically, I've got some old recordings (audio tapes, LPs, even
CDs of poorly-mastered material) that exhibit an annoying absence of high
frequencies, making them sound just too dull. I'm after whatever process,
plugin, or whatever there is out there that can analyze such recordings
and guess, with reasonable accuracy, when to add highs, and what type..
that sort of thing. I suppose this primarily means white noise. Better
than nothing.

Your first task is to get the best possible transcription you can, so that
you have something to start with. With tapes this means careful riding of
the azimuth. With LPs, this means using a fineline stylus and fiddling with
the VTA to get the best possible tracking on the groove. With 78s this can
mean trying out a lot of different sizes of stylus to find a portion of the
groove that still has some detail left in it.

This would be essentially the same sort of restorative process as anti-
clipping, only something that works on the frequency spectrum.

I'm sure something along these lines exist, but since I lack the basic
knowledge of what terminology to apply to this scenario, I'm at a loss.
Any takers?

What you are thinking of is something like the Aphex Aural Exciter, which
adds artificial high end by synthesizing harmonics of the original signal.
If used lightly, it can be a real help in this sort of job, but only when
all other things have failed. If overused, it can be really obnoxious.

Arny Krueger

"Marc Brown" wrote in message
Bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, as this question will no
doubt reveal. Basically, I've got some old recordings (audio tapes,
LPs, even CDs of poorly-mastered material) that exhibit an annoying
absence of high frequencies, making them sound just too dull. I'm
after whatever process, plugin, or whatever there is out there that
can analyze such recordings and guess, with reasonable accuracy, when
to add highs, and what type.. that sort of thing. I suppose this
primarily means white noise. Better than nothing.

This would be essentially the same sort of restorative process as
anti- clipping, only something that works on the frequency spectrum.

I'm sure something along these lines exist, but since I lack the basic
knowledge of what terminology to apply to this scenario, I'm at a
loss. Any takers?

One approach would be to apply metered amounts of nonlinear distortion.
Nonlinear distortion is the kind of distortion that can add tones that
weren't present in the original recording. The name of the game is to add
back missing harmonics in a way that most closely approximates the means by
which they are generated by voices and musical instruments.

This requires some experimentation, because what works for one piece of
music and listener may or may not work for another.

Here's the basic approach:

I'm going to express the process in terms of Adobe Audition because its
what's on my desktop and the audio editing program that I'm most familiar
with. Another program with good potential for these kinds of manipulations
would be Goldwave, with its ability to process sounds with math equations.
A free trial version of either program can be downloaded from the respective
vendor web sites (see google).

For your demo, first take a piece of music and convert it to 32 bit format.
Then chop off the high end at say 3-4 KHz. In Audition, the FFT filter can
be programmed with a steep cutoff, or one of the low-pass "Scientific
Filters" can be used. Then make a working copy of this file to play with.

First use edit, copy to put a copy of the file onto the clipboard. Then
use edit, mix paste with the modulate option to modulate the file with
itself, one or more times. Each time you modulate the file with itself, you
up the order of the nonlinear distortion being applied to the file. You'll
probably lose some amplitude, but you can get that back with the
amplification or normalization tool. This results in a file that is composed
of more-or-less pure distortion.

Then use the edit, mix paste tool to add one or more undistorted copies of
the file back to itself to dilute the distortion until the file has the
desired character. You may want to normalize the file to restore its
loudness to the point where its' level is roughly comparable to the
original.

Finally, compare the "enhanced" file to the origional to see if you are
pleased with the results.

Robert Morein

"Marc Brown" wrote in message
m...
[...]

A BBE 2002 Sonic Maximizer, which I will shamelessly sell you for $75 +
shipping.
See http://www.bbesound.com/pdfs/2002_manual.pdf