Peter

Default Marantz Equipment Reliability

Mr. Holubitsky,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I was very surprised to hear about the problems that you had with your
Marantz equipment, and I wonder if you would divulge which CD and DVD player
you had?

May I also ask you if you were satisfied with the repair service that you
received from Marantz?

Erik Squires

Default JM Labs, why do they do poorly in the US?

I've gotten to listen to a few generations of JM Lab speakers, and have
often though of replacying my aging satelites with a new set from JM Labs.

I've talked to the local Boston agent and he tells me they don't move as
well as one would expect.

Are you golden eared audiophiles waiting on a good review, or is there
something about their sound or price/performance that is not to the americn
ear's taste?

Erik

"Max Holubitsky" wrote in message

"G.S. Nail" wrote:

"Peter" wrote:

Mr. Holubitsky,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I was very surprised to hear about the problems that you had with your
Marantz equipment, and I wonder if you would divulge which CD and DVD

player
you had?

May I also ask you if you were satisfied with the repair service that

you
received from Marantz?

Marc Phillips

Erik said:

I've gotten to listen to a few generations of JM Lab speakers, and have
often though of replacying my aging satelites with a new set from JM Labs.

I've talked to the local Boston agent and he tells me they don't move as
well as one would expect.

Are you golden eared audiophiles waiting on a good review, or is there
something about their sound or price/performance that is not to the americn
ear's taste?

As far as I know, they are doing very well here. Maybe that salesman isn't
doing a very good job of selling them. I know that their less-expensive lines
are doing well and are lately being mentioned along with PSB, Paradigm, and
Acoustic Energy as good choices for HT or mid-fi systems. As far as reviews
are concerned, Stereophile has certainly been enamored with JM Labs for many
years.

My experience with them is that they're really nice-sounding, but a little
pricey. For instance, I heard the $70,000 Grande Utopias driven with a pair of
Cary 1610SE amps (the two-story, $40,000 ones), and while it was very
impressive, it wasn't the best I've heard. I also recently auditioned the
$5000 Micro Utopias (before they came out with the BE improvement), and while
they were beautiful to look at, perhaps more than any other mini-monitor I've
ever seen, they didn't sound as nice as other premium, yet more affordable
small monitors as the Harbeth Monitor 30 ($3000), the Reynaud Offrandes
($4500), or even the Spendor SP1/2s ($2750). In fact, I bet the Harbeth
Compact 7-es, at just $2200 a pair, gives the Micro Utopia a run for the money.

I'm certainly not bashing JM Labs. They're excellent overall. Just not the
best, IMO.

Boon
Arny Krueger

"Erik Squires" wrote in message
ervers.com

I've gotten to listen to a few generations of JM Lab speakers, and
have often though of replacing my aging satellites with a new set
from JM Labs.

I've talked to the local Boston agent and he tells me they don't move
as well as one would expect.

Are you golden eared audiophiles waiting on a good review, or is there
something about their sound or price/performance that is not to the
American ear's taste?

JM Labs speakers are pricey, which works against them several ways. First
off, Americans are not as enamored of sitting and just listening to music as
they once were. Mobile audio and Audio-Visual are major trends. Secondly,
because multichannel Audio-Visual is such a big trend, people aren't as
willing to spend a lot of money per speaker because they are going to be
buying six or seven of them.

I think that price/performance is a big issue in the US, and JM has not made
a very clear case for the prices they ask for their products. The speaker
market is very crowded and people have lots of alternatives. JM Labs really
don't have the kind of visibility that it would take to be a big seller at
their price points.

The Big Cheese

Another reason is that JM Labs are over-priced french pieces of **** -
They also have a very "nasal" sound because they are made by a race who
stick their big noses in where they are not wanted and then refuse to
help others when their help is requested.

In WW2, over 80% of them became collaborators with the invading Germans:
There have not been very many American collaborators with the rag head
terrorists. The vast numbers of WW2 collaborators are france's biggest
source of shame as well as the source of today's crybabies and whiners
in the country of the frogs.

The Big (normal-size nose) Cheese

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

The Big Cheese

Anything the frogs make is good at running!

Their running experience began in 1939, so they've had lots of practice.

The Big Cheese

Marc Phillips wrote:
I bet the Harbeth
Compact 7-es, at just $2200 a pair, gives the Micro Utopia a run for the money.

Lionel

The Big Cheese wrote:
Another reason is that JM Labs are over-priced french pieces of **** -
They also have a very "nasal" sound because they are made by a race who
stick their big noses in where they are not wanted and then refuse to
help others when their help is requested.

In WW2, over 80% of them became collaborators with the invading Germans:
There have not been very many American collaborators with the rag head
terrorists. The vast numbers of WW2 collaborators are france's biggest
source of shame as well as the source of today's crybabies and whiners
in the country of the frogs.

The Big (normal-size nose) Cheese

Keep cool Gros Livareau, keep cool !
....You will have a heart attack.

Lionel

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

Speaker business is like mode and "haute-couture".
Speaker manufacturers are obliged to have a new line every 2 years minimum.
Like in mode and "haute-couture" if you are patient you can purchase
many very good speakers at 50% their original price.

I play hand-ball.
Every year Adidas issue a new line of "special hand-ball" shoes, they
usually cost between $90.00 - $100.00 original price.
Since 20 years I use to play with the Adidas "special hand-ball" but I
never spent more than $50.00 for them, I'm only one year late... Is it a
problem ? ;-)

dave weil

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:49:17 +0100, Lionel
wrote:

The Big Cheese wrote:
Another reason is that JM Labs are over-priced french pieces of **** -
They also have a very "nasal" sound because they are made by a race who
stick their big noses in where they are not wanted and then refuse to
help others when their help is requested.

In WW2, over 80% of them became collaborators with the invading Germans:
There have not been very many American collaborators with the rag head
terrorists. The vast numbers of WW2 collaborators are france's biggest
source of shame as well as the source of today's crybabies and whiners
in the country of the frogs.

The Big (normal-size nose) Cheese

Keep cool Gros Livareau, keep cool !
...You will have a heart attack.

Is that French for foie gras?

Lionel

wrote:

The Big Cheese wrote:

Another reason is that JM Labs are over-priced french pieces of **** -
They also have a very "nasal" sound because they are made by a race who
stick their big noses in where they are not wanted and then refuse to
help others when their help is requested.

In WW2, over 80% of them became collaborators with the invading Germans:
There have not been very many American collaborators with the rag head
terrorists. The vast numbers of WW2 collaborators are france's biggest
source of shame as well as the source of today's crybabies and whiners
in the country of the frogs.

The Big (normal-size nose) Cheese

Keep cool Gros Livareau, keep cool !
...You will have a heart attack.

Is that French for foie gras?

Livarot (or livareau) is a stinky cheese.

dave weil

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:57:03 +0100, Lionel
wrote:

Keep cool Gros Livareau, keep cool !
...You will have a heart attack.

Is that French for foie gras?

Livarot (or livareau) is a stinky cheese.

You *do* know that it was a joke, right?