Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default SHOULD I BUY A TRIDENT SERIES 24?

Hello everyone.

I am starting to piece together all of the equipment to start my
studio.
A few weeks ago I completed a project on a trident 80A and it just blew
me away.
Of course I can't handle the 30,000 dollar price tag of the 80, but I
can afford the cheaper little brother....the 65.
Has anyone out there ever worked on a 65?
How do they sound?
I plan to have it rechipped and recapped when I buy one....but is it
even worth my time?

I plan on recording rock and roll mostly, but I don't want to invest a
lot of money on something that sucks.
Any info would be great.
Thanks a lot.

Joshua from Oregon

Posted to rec.audio.pro

what is the price tag on one of those going to be.
THe cool thing about the trident 65 and series 24 is that you can buy
one for 5000.
What does the new boards footprint look like?
You know how it is 50 percent of being successful in the studio
business is looking cool to you customers.
You could have a 16 track Neve but no one would care because it is to
small.

.....but still Man i would love it if I didn't have to recapp and rechip
everything.
I am going to go do my homework right now on the new trident.
Thank you for the tip.

Joshua

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

Joshua,

Just got off the phone with John Oram in England...I'm this close to getting
the new Trident 18T. The price is quite affordable for such a solid console!
And John is personally invested and cares.

http://www.oram.co.uk/SER%208T.htm

I don't think there is anything remotely close to this desk in this
pricerange.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Wow 2400.00!
Now that is affordable for a trident.
I was looking at your link and it said the 18t is going to be available
in larger formats.
I wonder what the price would be if the board was a 24*24...or even a
32*24.

I am going to need quite a few channels since I am wanting to lay lot
of bed tracks all at once. There is a real want, at least in my area,
to track live.

Do you know of how I could find out what the difference in price
between the 18t and the 18t large format?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Joshua from Oregon

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Say No To Trident Wars.

Steve wrote:
wrote:
Wow 2400.00!
Now that is affordable for a trident.
I was looking at your link and it said the 18t is going to be available
in larger formats.
I wonder what the price would be if the board was a 24*24...or even a
32*24.

I am going to need quite a few channels since I am wanting to lay lot
of bed tracks all at once. There is a real want, at least in my area,
to track live.

Do you know of how I could find out what the difference in price
between the 18t and the 18t large format?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Joshua from Oregon

Oh God I hope this doesn't mean another Oram/Toft war.
The Iraq mess and the threat of a war in Iran are bad enough
but this would be just too much.
Say No To Trident Wars.

Steve

There should be no need for Trident wars. The Trident trademark was
registered to my company in 1999. There is only one Trident Audio
Ltd., Mr Toft's product has nothing to do with us. It bears the
name Trident Series which is only a TM listed in November 2005, not
registered and is being vigorously challenged. Mr Toft's departure
from Trident was in 1988 for reasons not disclosed here. Mr Rivers
was shown our product at the AES NYC and this is called the Trident
Series 8T. It is Made in England and is shipping. Please do not
confuse this quality product with the Toft Audio ATB to be Made in
China and shipping we know not when.
I have stated my respect for Malcolm Toft's contribution to our design
partnership in the 70's and 80's. Malcolm is a systems and ergonomics
engineer. He is not an electronics circuit design engineer which was
my role in the original company.
I hope this clarifies our respective positions.
Our Attorney's are happy to confirm this statement.
Thank you.
JOHN ORAM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Benjamin Maas

Yawn... Seems like you need to get over it... Both of you have very
interesting looking products coming out. Hope you both do well, but stop
the bickering for God's sake.

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

please remove "nospam" upon reply
wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Yup, Benjamin ... how right you are. What's a little infringement
amongst friends? You pinch my name, I pinch yours. Gets the
customer confused. Fifth Circle Audio is a great name. I promise not
to bicker!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sorry, Joshua from Oregon, I got sidetracked there.

There's a range of genuine Trident consoles from $2400 through to
$150,000 and I'll see you get full details sent to you later today (UK
time). We also have refurbed used boards with full warranties.

Thank you Mark for the positive contribution.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thank you John for your reply,

If you don't mind me asking...who is Mr. Rivers?

Joshua from Oregon

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Do you have the web address?

I went to http://www.oram.co.uk/SER%208T.htm but there wasn't much
info on it.

Thanks,

Joshua from Oregon

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

Mr. Oram has impressed me with his attention to me as a customer, and his
commitment to follow thru with perspective and realized clients.

I feel I should mention to everyone that an investment in Mr Oram's product
accompanies his keen eye on what you are doing, and you might not rule out a
call straight from his desk in England to check up on you and your
satisfaction as a customer. This has been my experience for many years.

Mark Skipper

producer/mixer

And if anyone want to use my name on any product without my permission, I'll
see you in court. That is unacceptable behavior...Trident Wars indeed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

wrote:

If you don't mind me asking...who is Mr. Rivers?

The first person to reply in this thread.

John and I have been razzing each other at trade shows for years, and
we really like each other. He did indeed show me his medium-sized 8-bus
console at the AES show. It was very similar to Malcolm's design, which
is not surprising since there are certain standard things that such a
console needs to do, and there's an expected layout. Incidentally, a
few shows back, I told John that if he could build a 21st centrury (or
maybe it was still the 20th then) version of the Trident 65 and sell it
for under $10,000, there would be a market. He did, and there was. This
was his Dream (model) and, dammit, he never even sent me a royalty
checki. The Dream looks very much like an old time studio console while
the new 8-bus is flat, doesn't have a meter bridge, and is designed for
a tabletop.

I don't remember the specifics now, but there were a couple of
ergonomic and system design things (as John pointed out, Malcolm's
strength is in system engineering and ergonomics) that I thought were a
little better on the Toft console than on the similar Oram one. I'm
sure that both of them, when all the bugs get worked out, will function
equally well in the studio and sound just fine.

One big difference, and I'll be the second to point this out (I'll let
John be the first) is that Oram is a pretty small company, they deal
with a smaller volume of sales, and they don't save any money by having
their products built in China - so they build them in England. Toft is
bankrolled by PMI Marketing, the company that has the Joemeek and
Studio Projects line, their business model is on substantially larger
quantity sales, and they count the cost saving of Chinese manufacturing
into their pricing. I can assure you that PMI has had a lot of
experience with quality control over there and where it's built
shouldn't be a cause for concern.

The other thing is that Toft is taking orders now for delivery shortly.
The first 100 sold get a price break because they're realistic about
these things and they expect that there will be a few glitches (which
of course they'll fix). The first lot will be sold and supported
directly through PMI (closest thing to a direct line to Malcolm) and
once they're sure they have a solid product that can be manufactured in
quantity, sales and support will be through dealers as normal.

Oh, and for the guy who came in in the middle of the show, it's
http://www.toftaudio.com
but here's a nasty tip - if you coldn't figure that out, you probably
won't be able to figure out how to use an 8-bus console.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Benjamin Maas wrote:
Yawn... Seems like you need to get over it... Both of you have very
interesting looking products coming out. Hope you both do well, but stop
the bickering for God's sake.

I do find the Studio Products gadget to be very intriguing... it is
very cheaply made overseas, but it's modular and it has decent-feeling
faders, even if they are a little short. Given the price point that it's
built to, I think it could be a real winner, and I think it can coexist
in the same world without even competing with the Trident products (which
are clearly aimed at a much higher-grade market).

I don't care what the nameplate on the front says. I care what it feels
like and how it sounds. In the past, both of you guys have built some
excellent consoles.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

Did you look at the enlarged picture? Seems that channel strip 1 is awfully
close to the wood frame, particularly the raised rear portion. Looks like a
design problem because it appears you can't get a hold of the knobs fully,
which means moving them with one finger and pushing off-axis on them. Maybe
it's just me, but the frame could have been OG'd a little to allow two
fingers access. Otherwise it looks somewhat like my Soundtracs! g

And where is the star ground connector?

But I've gotta admit, if it's from Malcolm, it's gotta be good.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

A few weeks ago I completed a project on a trident 80A and it just blew
me away.
Of course I can't handle the 30,000 dollar price tag of the 80

Why not give some thought to the new Trident ATB? It's brand new, it
won't need capacitors, switchesm, and pots replaced, (the first ones
will be shipping in the next few months) and it's designed by Malcolm
Toft, who was one of the principal designers of the Trident 80 series.
(80B = ATB, wink, wink, nudge, nudge). The first 100 are going at a
discount. See
http://www.toftaudio.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

Just got off the phone with John Oram in England...I'm this close to
getting
the new Trident 18T. The price is quite affordable for such a solid

console!
And John is personally invested and cares.

Let's not get into the Oram vs. Toft situation again. John knows his ****,
Malcolm does too. They don't get along as shown by the disclaimer about the
Trident Series ATB on John's site. Neither owns the Trident name as far as
I know, but if I had to put a dollar on the line, it would be with Malcolm
(Sorry John).

But if you want some info you can do a google/groups search back about 5
years ago. Even with arguing going on, both guys offered a world of insight
into the design philosophies to the consoles that we'd all love to own.

Plus, I don't know how to assess "quite affordable" considering the price is
TBA. You got something more concrete?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/
"Is our children learning?"
President George W. Bush
"Mark" wrote in message
Joshua,

http://www.oram.co.uk/SER%208T.htm

I don't think there is anything remotely close to this desk in this
pricerange.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

And if anyone want to use my name on any product without my permission,
I'll
see you in court. That is unacceptable behavior...Trident Wars indeed.

It's not Trident wars, it's been John vs Malcolm. Both played important
parts in the development of Trident and no one is willing to say uncle.
Let's face it, Trident wouldn't have been what it was, nor would those
consoles still be highly sought after if it hadn't been for both men. Audio
took tremendous strides forward. No reason to take steps backwards. If
both men can produce quality products they both deserve praise and support.
If John truly owns TRIDENT as a name, the Malcolm should probably change the
name, but that's not the complete way I remember the history of the dispute.
But then I'm just a dumb ass cellar dweller and my memory is shot to hell.

--

"Mark" wrote in message
Mr. Oram has impressed me with his attention to me as a customer, and his
commitment to follow thru with perspective and realized clients.

Mark Skipper

producer/mixer

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

Tell you what John. Why not send me one of your units for evaluation? Mike
lives about 11 miles away and we can get together with some of the locals
here in the DC area and do up a proper evaluation of your product. I know I
mentioned in an earlier post that I'd probably put my dollar with Malcolm,
but I'm not so closed minded as to not give a good test of the console and I
won't let my stated bias show through. Besides, recognize that it was Mike
that offered up Malcolm's product first, even after having played with yours
at the show. A good review from a tough audience would be a good thing if
it comes up that way.

I can probably get a panel consisting of Mike, John Vengrouskie, Gantt
Kushner, Ty Ford and several others over here, plus I can throw together a
number of musicians to give us reasonable recording material (not to mention
that most of us are already accomplished musicians). I'm about to take my
console down and clean and recap it anyway, so it should be a snap to setup.
Of course, you could send it to Mike too, if that would make you feel more
comfortable. It appears that you somewhat trust Mike, as do I, so either
way that works if you are ameniable. A 16 channel unit would be fine. I'm
not asking for all the channels I currently have, but one of the test groups
would probably be a 14 piece cuban/latino group. Let's hear how your
console sounds with a SM7 or a couple of low output Reslos! g And I
imagine between just the people I've mentioned we'd have more than enough
quality mics to give it a good go.

So what do you say? Possible?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/
"Is our children learning?"
President George W. Bush
wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

Oh, and I can't forget Scott Dorsey on this one, if it comes about. How
about it Scott, you up for some testing?

--

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Roger W. Norman wrote:
Oh, and I can't forget Scott Dorsey on this one, if it comes about. How
about it Scott, you up for some testing?

Maybe but not until May. I'm swamped with arc ballast repair work right
now and festival season is almost upon us.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roger,
First things first! It's no surprise I'm sure if I tell you I don't
receive mails very well that show a negative attitude to me and my
honesty.

I have a good business running here under Trident Audio and ORAM brands
and many very happy customers around the World. Newgroups either like
you or they don't and many of the posters apply some very strange logic
to who they listen to, and believe, or not.
Naturally, we all like to be liked and so your review opportunity is
attractive, not just for this mixer, but maybe a crate full of
Trident-Oram that can be given the professional ears of some of the
RAPpers. (Even wait for the China piece and shoot them out together!)

Our Series 8T is finished and shipping and we do have a back order
position to clear before having demo samples to issue. Pro Audio
Review and MIX are down for one, as are Sound on Sound. Our unit was
operational at AES NYC in October.
Do you ever get to the UK? Maybe it would be better for me to send
you a ticket and get you here. See the studio, the factories, the HQ
and meet the Team and you can test all you like.

On the question of who is Trident: here is a link to the US Patent &
Trade Mark Office showing the Trident name and logo registered 6 years
ago in the name of our Vice President Sales and UK Directors name.
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=...e=fdsqtk.2.100

So let's develop some trust here and go forward in a positive sense.
In view of the legal proceedings taking place I have not mentioned our
opponents here other than to say we intend to vigorously persue anyone
who intends to try and exploit our property or name.

JOHN ORAM - TRIDENT AUDIO LTD, ENGLAND

Roger W. Norman wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sorry about that !!! The US Trade Mark site expires after a while, but
that's the right place to go and search for Reg. No. 2,371,150

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

If you point me to a distributor then I can perhaps come up with a unit for
a review on my own. I spent almost as much on a Crest XR20 for live use, so
it's not like it's a price thing.

Listen John, I don't doubt you, but I also know that there's always two
sides to an argument. Doesn't say anything bad about you, nor have I
denegrated your products. I'm actually trying to help. If Malcolm is
having product built in China, then that plays not a small part in what the
world of audio perceives the product to be, but it is not a product killer.

As you said, Toft Audio uses the Trident name as a TM, but they obviously
don't have the name of the company. That would present problems for me, but
it wouldn't stop me from listening to Malcolm's product too and making my
decision from there. If you have a 16X8 console for $2400 then you'll
undoubtedly have a winner one way or the other in terms of sales. But I
have two consoles that have cost me that much and a third that didn't. It's
not like I'm an only time buyer and the guys that I mentioned for doing a
review are well noted both here and in our area of work for quality
evaluations. It's not like I'm going to steal your unit, and if arranged
correctly we could do something within a week and send the unit right back.
Hell, Mike, Scott and others write for industry mags, so the opportunity
could be presented to any one of the mags. Assuming you'd accept our
review.

I'm not trying to berate you. I'm trying to say, if there is something here
for a godawfully good price of $2400 then it needs to be known and I'll be
glad to take on the guise of messenger, if that's the way it works out. But
Mike, John, Scott and others are very picky when it comes to what they want
to hear vs what they hear.

So even if it takes a while to get this in motion, then feel free to make it
at your convience, but don't forget about it, because you may be surprised
at what can come from this group when it comes to recommendations.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/
"Is our children learning?"
President George W. Bush
ups.com...

Roger W. Norman wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

Maybe but not until May. I'm swamped with arc ballast repair work right
now and festival season is almost upon us.

I know. I was finally asked to do the ECJF again but I said no. Bev
doesn't understand, but hey, doing this stuff is supposed to be a money
making proposition. If you need help let me know.

--

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Roger W. Norman wrote:
Oh, and I can't forget Scott Dorsey on this one, if it comes about. How
about it Scott, you up for some testing?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

And if you're going to ask "why not do it" then all's I can say is because
I'm going to get ****ed again.

I must be a good ****.

--

Roger W. Norman wrote:
Oh, and I can't forget Scott Dorsey on this one, if it comes about. How
about it Scott, you up for some testing?

Maybe but not until May. I'm swamped with arc ballast repair work right
now and festival season is almost upon us.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

Did you look at the enlarged picture? Seems that channel strip 1 is awfully
close to the wood frame, particularly the raised rear portion.

It appears to be cosmetic wood only, look at the rear panel.

Roger W. Norman

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

wrote:

I went to
http://www.oram.co.uk/SER%208T.htm but there wasn't much
info on it.

I did, too, and there wasn't. Possibly because the web site just hasn't
been updated, or John's still working out some kinks and hasn't settled
on the final designs yet. People these days tend to take everything
they read about a product that looks remotely like it comes from the
manufadturer, whether a print ad or a web site, as "promised features"
and get very upset when the product finally comes out and something's
different from what they expected. So he may just be taking precautions
against being accused of "false advertising." (see many discussions
on-line about this and various Mackie products over the years)

There's a fairly good description of the Toft ATB at
http://www.toftaudio.com/atb.html including (approximate) dimensions.
The Trident, at least the one I saw at the AES show, was pretty much
the same size. But don't build your cabinet yet.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I think I am ready to buy a trident.
Now the only problem is I can't find an old one.
I thought about it for a while and I think I am going
to buy used.
Its just cheaper.

If you guys know of any 65's, 75's, 24's or 16s.

Let me know.
Sincerely,
JOhsua