Default For Andre Jute - Which Transformers for KISS 300B

Hello Andre-

Which transformers should I order for the KISS 300B amplifier?

Thanks for responding,

Gray

Hello Andre-

Which transformers should I order for the KISS 300B amplifier?

Thanks for responding,

Gray

What are you talking about, Gray? You have *all* those transformers
already, except if you cheaped out when you chose which of my Modular
Series to build. Count the transformers inside your amp. If you have
either three or four big transformers, you have enough power and
outputs. If you have two medium-sized transformers, you have enough
double chokes. If you have only one medium-sized transformer, you will
need to buy another double choke because the choke-input filter is a
critical part of the design. If you really treated yourself when you
chose which of my Modular Series to build there will also be four small
transformers, interstages, but they are not used in either the
'standard good' or 'ultrafi' versions of the KISS 300B.

The only justification for breaking up a Modular Series amp to join the
KISS project is if you're going all the way with me to the Ultrafi
version.

HTH.

Andre Jute

Patrick Turner

Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article ,
at wrote on 3/23/05 11:13 PM:

Hello Andre-

Which transformers should I order for the KISS 300B amplifier?

Thanks for responding,

Gray

Try this one:

http://www.pdtpower.com/index.asp?src=gdt

;-)

The company manager said he'd be delighted to wind one except
that he doesn't know how to do air gapped ones for SET.

Patrick Turner.

Jim McDonald

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

I think that's all pretty clear, Andre .. Thanks for explaining it to us
.... I have small ones and large ones .. Are two small ones as good as a
large one ? Am I best wiring them in series or parallel ?
I could get half the impedance , twice the DC resistance or 6 times the
bull**** ..
Is amplifier design related to how many transformers you have ? Is ..
nine .. a good number ?
I have hordes of transformers, here !!! .. Lets go for it !!
Have you seen my latest design ??
The only active device is, .. me.. turning it on ..
42 transformers ........ Phase shift ? .. you drop the needle on the
record and come back twenty minutes later to see if the misic has arrived
yet ..
Get it wrong and the music could turn up before you turned it on ..
cheers
jim

Jon Yaeger

in article , Jim McDonald at
wrote on 3/24/05 9:27 AM:

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Andre has a small one, but he wishes he had a big one . . . .

Anumber1

magnequest?

--
Alan Gallacher
Born to Tinker!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Andre-

Which transformers should I order for the KISS 300B amplifier?

Thanks for responding,

Gray

Jim McDonald

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article , Jim McDonald at
wrote on 3/24/05 9:27 AM:

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

I have sent Andre the winding layout for a really huge one I did on Tuesday
morning
Janice says a really big one is always better than two small ones
cheers
jim

It is a relevant question, Mr Jute. If the transformers are not in
stock it could take a while before we take delivery. You've had your
little joke with Mr Glass. But I built your Triple Threat and I can't
use those transformers in the single ended KISS amp. I'd like to be
ready to go the moment you publish the schematic and the layout. A
transformer list would really be appreciated.

Frank B

[...]

Sorry, Frank. I was merely answering Gray's specific question: Gray
doesn't have to order transformers, he just reuses those from one of my
amps he built before.

I'll give you a list because you guys insist but it really isn't smart
to start ordering parts before you have all the information before you.
The problem is that the optional and alternative parts can run up quite
a bill for stuff you may not use (some dealers charge five dollars for
a Kiwame resistor...), and of course if you have to make two or three
orders rather than one, the minimum carriage charges can mount up
alarmingly.

For chrisesake, stop with this Mr Jute nonsense. My name is Andre.

I'm publishing the list you ask for separately as THE KISS 300B ULTRAFI
MAJOR PARTS LIST.

Andre Jute

wrote:
[...]

THIS LIST IS PRELIMINARY AND INCLUDES OPTIONAL PARTS YOU MAY CHOOSE NOT
TO USE WHEN THE DESCRIPTION IS COMPLETE AND THE SCHEMATIC AND LAYOUT IS
PUBLISHED.

Lundahl transformers

1x LL1651 Power Transformer 250-0-250 4x 6.3V

2x LL1638 Double Wound Choke 10H 200mA

2x LL1623SE 90mA Output Transformer, multiple primary impedances,
multiple output arrangements

(Lundahl has cheaper transformers without the versatility but I have
never used them; those above are cheap enough and work perfectly.)

Most of the places who sell these transformers will also supply quality
caps:

3x 51uF 630V Solen polyprop cannisters (47uF is good enough) for power
filter
2x 51uF 160V (or up to 250V) for 300B cathode resistor bypass (47uF is
good enough)
2x 1000uF 6.3V for optional 417A cathode bypass (you may choose battery
bias instead)

They probably also sell tubes and sockets and quality resistors:

2x 300B
2x 417A
1x GZ37

Ceramic Sockets:

2x UX4
2x B9A
1x Octal

Transistors
2x BY228 diodes or equivalent for Graetz bridge.

Resistors
2x 1K 50W non-mductive wire-wound resistor for 300B bias
Kiwame resistors, 2W (the smallest you can get)
2x 120R
2x 47K
20x 220R (optional, grid stoppers, depends how clean the airwaves are
where you live)
Kiwame resistors, 5W (the biggest you can get)
4x 100R (optional, humbusters, depends on your layout and wire dress)

Also from the same suppliers
1x DACT 20K stereo ladder attenuator
Fancy wire, if you believe in it. Most of these places sell
silverplated teflon covered wire by the foot. I often use Cardas golden
section multistrand but that can be tricky to tin in the larger sizes.
The truth is that anything that will carry the current and survive the
heat will do. Solid tinned copper 1000V 1.8 amp 70 degree C and better
wire is available from most suppliers in a range of colours. A good
general tube amp spec is UL 1015 of the correct voltage/current rating.

The rest, switch, fuseholder and fuse, other resistors, etc , you can
buy from any mailorder electronics house.

I shall build mine on copper plate. The piece I have is 3mm thick by
about 13in or 329mm by 1m wide (that's how you buy it, so many inches
wide by one meter wide).

Andre Jute

Anumber1 wrote:
magnequest?

--
Alan Gallacher
Born to Tinker!

'Scuse me while I sick up.

Andre Jute
Not a fashion victim

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Andre-

Which transformers should I order for the KISS 300B amplifier?

Thanks for responding,

Gray

Jon Yaeger

Jutey- Fruity.

Yves pointed out that you and your small cast of imaginary sycophants
allegedly post through the same portal address.

It would be a clever ruse, I suppose, if it weren't so transparent and
amateurish. The implication that your supporters and admirers are the
product of a fecund imagination is pretty sad . . . .

I've noticed over the years that there are long stretches of silence between
flurries of posting by you.

Were you receiving the benefit of institutional care during those quiet
times?

Stewart Pinkerton

On 24 Mar 2005 11:11:45 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

I *shall* build mine on copper plate? Thanks for confirming that KISS
does not actually exist, but is simply a paper design.

[...]

I built the No51 from your Modular Series with the Lundahl No1627 185mA
for parallel 300B. After I wrote you asking which one to build and you
told me the No49, I fell in love with a picture of stacked Quad ESL on
your early netsite. After a longer story than one of your novels I
finally put together a good set but they needed more power than one
300B. The output transformers from No51 won't do for the KISS. But I
shall in any event buy a full set of transformers because I don't want
to break up my No51. It will go to the house on the Island together
with the panels. The horns for the KISS will not bother Leila at all.
Far from it. She will find their smaller size a relief in our apartment
in the city. If yours will be for sale I will top any offer, otherwise
I think I shall buy the Lowther items as those angles shown in the
photographs at your Fiultra site are beyond my skill.

For my 50th birthday I installed workshops in the apartment and also at
our summer place. I can do reasonably square woodwork and metal work
but your 1/8 inch copper plate is too ambitious. I'm going to use
thinner ali and stiffen it with wood. Isn't that what you did in the
prototype for the 417A amp that is the test for the KISS driver stage?

Thanks again for your help. My sisters and Leila still think you're a
teddy bear. I always said one day you'll be a public benefactor

Gray

Hello Andre-

I built the No51 from your Modular Series with the Lundahl No1627

185mA
for parallel 300B. After I wrote you asking which one to build and

you
told me the No49, I fell in love with a picture of stacked Quad ESL

on
your early netsite.

If I still had those, I'd be listening to them, not writing to you.

After a longer story than one of your novels I
finally put together a good set but they needed more power than one
300B. The output transformers from No51 won't do for the KISS. But I
shall in any event buy a full set of transformers because I don't

want
to break up my No51. It will go to the house on the Island together
with the panels. The horns for the KISS will not bother Leila at all.
Far from it. She will find their smaller size a relief in our

apartment
in the city. If yours will be for sale I will top any offer,

otherwise
I think I shall buy the Lowther items as those angles shown in the
photographs at your Fiultra site are beyond my skill.

I'll keep it in mind when I decide to sell those horns. Lowther is
probably much cheaper than I am and you really should become familiar
with the standard item before you try my hotrodded version. A rational
fellow like you may be unpleasantly surprised at just how little extra
you get for several multiples of the money. Alas, audio cannot claim
exemption from the economic laws of marginality.

However, it isn't as difficult by far as you think to build an exact
copy of the Lowther factory Fidelio. I usually start with factory-sawn
wood which I buy from a Lowther dealer in Germany. Building a standard
set is just a glue job. That's it, no screws, nothing. I don't even
use clamps because the wood is sawn perfectly square on all gluing
edges and its own weight fixes it.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/K...20T91HWAF3.jpg
It just takes a few days because you cannot place more than one panel
at a time for fear of distubring one not yet fixed. I don't imagine the
money matters to you but you can build a good Fidelio for two-fifths of
the factory price, complete with genuine Lowther drivers but of course
sans their fancy veneers or lustrious piano black (for which they
charge the real value same as I do).

For my 50th birthday I installed workshops in the apartment and also

at
our summer place. I can do reasonably square woodwork and metal work
but your 1/8 inch copper plate is too ambitious. I'm going to use
thinner ali and stiffen it with wood. Isn't that what you did in the
prototype for the 417A amp that is the test for the KISS driver

stage?

Exactly. The KISS 300B proto is built on a Hammond "cover sheet" 10 x
17 inches. If you look at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/K...0T68MZ417A.jpg
you can see it is a thin ali sheet painted with primer. I bolted the
ali to a half-inch sheet of ply, then drilled the holes for the
components blind into the ali, then took the ali away and enlarged the
holes in the wood just enough not to interfere with the bolt heads.
Then I bolted everything to the ali sheet and carefully slid the wood
under the ali sheet as a stifferner and bolted it back on. The Hammond
10x17x4in box in the same photograph doesn't actually hold anything; it
is just a safety cover. All the components are on the board. The tubes
are on standoffs which are just bolts bolted to the ali with threaded
standoffs spun on to the right height, washers to broaden the support
base, the tube base, more washers to speread the load, a nut, a spring
washer, a lock nut. You'd be surprised how sturdy such an assembly is.
The 300B sockets, removed from the front of the plate where you can see
holes for them and for bolting 50W resistors for the 300B bias (also on
the layout under where input transformers are shown), are of the kind
that has a metal locating ring on top and a flat bottom with the tags
sticking out radially a quarter inch off the bottom; I didn't fancy
having 300B standing on standoffs.... Having run the KISS 300B proto
assembly for a bit, I determined that the driver section for various
reasons was the only part requiring further testing, so I connected the
417A to the outputs and made a little potato amp, a booster amp if you
want to be fancy, of the dirver section alone. It's a super little
thing of one-third watt. I play it often even long after I finished the
tests.

In the final version the KISS 300B will be rebuilt on copper but I
haven't yet finished that design. I fancy a sort of pagoda shape with
the tubes inside, visible at two edges only, because I have no taste
for wrecking three grand's worth of WE tubes by dropping something on
them, so an open traditional plate on top of a box with tubes on top is
out.

I don't know where you got the idea which is clearly your subtext here,
that I am going to work that copper plate myself. A local engineer will
drill it for me and I'll get a jeweller to polish it before final
assembly. Like you, I'm just about capable of nearly square woodword.
I'll varnish the wood trim.

[SNIP]
I always said one day you'll be a public benefactor

Ho ho ho! Tell that to the sneering jeering scum in this thread.

Andre

Gray