Cary

Default Maximum Length for Toslink and Firewire Cables

I want to relocate my computer to a closet. What is the maximum length I
can run a toslink cable without a repeater? Also, how long for firewire?

CA

Stephen Anderson

Having read the IEEE-1394 (Firewire) spec in 2000 for a project I was
working on, and having spoken to one of the principals of the
organization, I recall that there is no "length" spec, but rather a set
of rise and fall times for the waveform, which amount to about 3 or 4
meters, depending on cable capacitance.

Of course, with repeaters in the signal chain, much longer length may be
achieved.

--
Stephen Anderson

~At the end of the day, it's all about
the music

Len Moskowitz

Cary wrote:

I want to relocate my computer to a closet. What is the maximum length I
can run a toslink cable without a repeater? Also, how long for
firewire?

We recommend 14-meters (around 45-feet) as max length for Toslink cables
without a repeater.

Coax can do run longer runs, so consider using a Toslink-to-Coax
converter like the M-Audio CO2 to convert to coax, do the long run, and
then use another CO2 to convert back to optical if necessary.

The CO2 can also be used an optical repeater; use one every 14m.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Garth D. Wiebe

Len Moskowitz wrote:
Cary wrote:

I want to relocate my computer to a closet. What is the maximum length I
can run a toslink cable without a repeater? Also, how long for
firewire?

We recommend 14-meters (around 45-feet) as max length for Toslink cables
without a repeater.

Coax can do run longer runs, so consider using a Toslink-to-Coax
converter like the M-Audio CO2 to convert to coax, do the long run, and
then use another CO2 to convert back to optical if necessary.

The CO2 can also be used an optical repeater; use one every 14m.

Be careful on this one. The older CO2 units did not work at 96K. If
you need 96K, you need to buy a (sufficiently) new one, and not just any
CO2 that you might find someone selling on eBay or wherever.

Len Moskowitz

Garth D. Wiebe wrote:

Be careful on this one. The older CO2 units did not work at 96K. If
you need 96K, you need to buy a (sufficiently) new one, and not just any
CO2 that you might find someone selling on eBay or wherever.

The older ones had a brown case; the newer ones have a silver case.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912