Posted to rec.audio.car
takemetoyurledr takemetoyurledr is offline

Default Need good subwoofer requiring around .65 cubic feet

what is your max mounting depth for that box?
and do you already have an amp?

--
takemetoyurledr

Posted to rec.audio.car
takemetoyurledr[_2_] takemetoyurledr[_2_] is offline

also what is your price range?

--
takemetoyurledr

Posted to rec.audio.car
jj91709 jj91709 is offline

I have a Dodge Ram 1500. I have a box that fits in the Dodge Ram and
has room for two 12" subs, each with .65 cubic feet. I've had JBL's in
there in the past, but the sound wasn't good, plus they required a lot
more airspace. Does anyone have a recommendation for a speaker
requiring very little airspace? Preferably 12" so I can use the box I
already have. Thanks in advance!
Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

"jj91709" wrote in message
I have a Dodge Ram 1500. I have a box that fits in the Dodge Ram and
has room for two 12" subs, each with .65 cubic feet. I've had JBL's in
there in the past, but the sound wasn't good, plus they required a lot
more airspace. Does anyone have a recommendation for a speaker
requiring very little airspace? Preferably 12" so I can use the box I
already have. Thanks in advance!

Parts Express shows some options in 12" subwoofers. The Dayton RSS315HO-4
only needs 0.7 cu.ft in a sealed box. There are a couple of MA Audio
subwoofers which only need 0.8 cu.ft as well. The tradeoff of a small sealed
box it that it will tend to need more power.

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
DJ NoMore DJ NoMore is offline

Christopher "Torroid" Ott wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message
I have a Dodge Ram 1500. I have a box that fits in the Dodge Ram and
has room for two 12" subs, each with .65 cubic feet. I've had JBL's in
there in the past, but the sound wasn't good, plus they required a lot
more airspace. Does anyone have a recommendation for a speaker
requiring very little airspace? Preferably 12" so I can use the box I
already have. Thanks in advance!

Parts Express shows some options in 12" subwoofers. The Dayton RSS315HO-4
only needs 0.7 cu.ft in a sealed box. There are a couple of MA Audio
subwoofers which only need 0.8 cu.ft as well. The tradeoff of a small sealed
box it that it will tend to need more power.

Chris

Boy are you ever telling the truth. I remember back in the day when 425
watts was NOT enough for a single Kicker Solobaric 12" (back when they
were round). Sure, it sounded good, but many times I felt like I needed
to get a bigger amp to make that sub sound better.

On the flip side, I hope 500 watts is enough for the 2005+ Mustang JL
Audio Stealthbox because that is all I was planning on feeding it. I
may end up going with a little more power now that I started thinking
about it again....

Posted to rec.audio.car
jj91709 jj91709 is offline

"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info guys. I need to see how many watts my amps have.

I just noticed that Rockford has a PS3D412 which requires .6 to 1.2
cubic feet. It's a 400-watt speaker. That was recommended by
Crutchfield, but what do you guys think? It retails for around $200
though could probably get it for $120 to $130 each. Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.car
DJ NoMore DJ NoMore is offline

jj91709 wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

I think it is worth a shot, as long as you wire it up right and have the
power to drive them. Since they are DVC, you need to find a way to run
your setup.... You know, the parallel versus series wiring then stereo
versus bridged mono. I really don't envy you with trying to find the
best sound setup because I used to stress about that kind of stuff when
I had more than one sub in my vehicle, especially if they were DVC.
Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] Huber55@gmail.com is offline

On Dec 25, 10:22 am, DJ NoMore
wrote:
jj91709 wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

I have heard the slim fit kickers and pioneer and they dont sound to
bad..they both put out about 300 watts i think
Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

"jj91709" wrote in message
"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

The ones I mentioned from Parts Express all have superior x-max, lower F(s),
better sensitivity and higher power coils which is important with your small
enclosures. That's not to say you can't get the same performance with a
different RF driver, but the P3SD412 you're looking at is probably not going
to be be very satisfying in that small box without hitting the upper end of
it's power curve.

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
kahooli[_3_] kahooli[_3_] is offline

you could always go with 2 DIYMA 12"s, they only need about .5 cu ft

--
kahooli

Posted to rec.audio.car
jj91709 jj91709 is offline

On Dec 25, 9:36 pm, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
ottelectronics dot com wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message

"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

Man, you guys totally rock! I've never posted here until now, but boy
am I glad I did.

A little more info to share here. If you guys have any specific
recommendations on configuration I'd appreciate it.

I have a 700-watt Alpine MRP-M350 mono amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dChfqPV...search=MRPM350

A Sony Xplod 4/3 channel XM-SD46X amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dChfqPV...0&I=158XMSD46X

and a Pioneer head unit (DEN-P590001B) with MOSFET amplifier (22 watts
RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dChfqPV...rch=DEHP5900IB

For speakers, I have two Pioneer 2-way speakers in the front doors and
2 Polk 2-way speakers in the rear doors. Sorry, I don't know the
models here.

Do you think I'd be better off just running one 12" sub? I could
certainly do that and would meet my budget even more Or, do you
think I have enough power here to run all speakers adequately
(including 2 Dayton RSS315HO-4 12" subs)? Also, any suggestions if I
go with two subs, should I run them parallel or in series?

Thanks again!

Posted to rec.audio.car

"jj91709" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 9:36 pm, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
ottelectronics dot com wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message

"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

Assuming you are using the Sony amp to power the (4) 2-way speakers? Which
leaves the Alpine for the subwoofer(s) correct?

I think you're going to find the Alpine amp a little underpowered for the
Dayton speaker in that enclosure. The Dayton has a single 4 ohm coil
providing ~200W/sub max. Adding a second 4 ohm sub will get the amp up to
350W output, but that's really ~175W/sub max.

With that amp, you're probably best off running a single subwoofer with dual
voice coils in parallel, ie: a 2 ohm load. A couple of the MA Audio subs
could also handle small boxes and were DVC as well. They required quite a
bit of mounting depth though.

Do you have a link to the enclosure you're using? If you can cap off one of
the subwoofer holes, and cut out the divider, you'll double the airspace and
open up the possible subwoofer choices.

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
jj91709 jj91709 is offline

On Dec 26, 11:22 am, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
"jj91709" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 9:36 pm, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
ottelectronics dot com wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message

"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dChfqPV...em/Main.aspx?I...

A Sony Xplod 4/3 channel XM-SD46X amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dChfqPV...em/Main.aspx?g...

[...]

Thanks a lot Chris.

The box I have is very similar to this one. It's pretty thin in the
middle, so I don't know if I could effectively cut a hole in the
divider, but maybe so.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-2007-DODGE-...QQcmdZViewItem

And yes, I'm using the Sony amp currently for 4 door speakers.

I have a JBL GT1200 (about 6" deep and fit fine in the current box)
which have specs at:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...XZBFbbA4zsEkAw

I just noticed too that there was no polyfill in the box, though I
suppose that's a small part of the problem.
Posted to rec.audio.car
jj91709 jj91709 is offline

"jj91709" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 9:36 pm, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
ottelectronics dot com wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message

divider, but maybe so.http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-2007-DODGE-...0-12-TRUCK-SUB...

which have specs at:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...2F%2Fwww.kenwo...

I just noticed too that there was no polyfill in the box, though I
suppose that's a small part of the problem.

Also I just noticed ebay has a custom box with 2 10" Kicker
competition subs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...QQcmdZViewItem
Think this is a better option?
Posted to rec.audio.car

"jj91709" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 9:36 pm, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
ottelectronics dot com wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message
"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

I think you would be better off going with the dual 10" competitions.
Assuming they are the same as the old kicker competitions, the 10" seem
to do well in small boxes, while producing good bass! In 1991 I made a
friend of mine two truck boxes for his regular cab Mitsubishi truck and
they sounded awesome for just .75 cubic feet of airspace for each 10
with a RF Punch 150 driving them.

I found it easier to make 2 boxes rather than make one box taking into
consideration that the transmission/drive shaft hump that ran through
the cab behind the seats. I was blasted by my installer friends for
going that route, but sound quality is all I cared about!

But getting back to the OP... I think you would be better suited for 2
10" woofers rather than 2 12" woofers in that small of an airspace. As
for polyfil, you can start an argument that will last a long time on
whether it really helps or not.

Posted to rec.audio.car

"jj91709" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 9:36 pm, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
ottelectronics dot com wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message

"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

Definitely not. Those subwoofers are 8 ohm. Even in parallel your amp will
only be able to put 100W into each of them. I think the best match for your
amp will be a single sub with 4 ohm DVC's wired in parallel.

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
jj91709 jj91709 is offline

"jj91709" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 9:36 pm, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
ottelectronics dot com wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...X-KICKER-COMP-...
Think this is a better option?

Definitely not. Those subwoofers are 8 ohm. Even in parallel your amp will
only be able to put 100W into each of them. I think the best match for your
amp will be a single sub with 4 ohm DVC's wired in parallel.

Chris

Chris, how do you feel about two 10" Fosgate P3D210?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...JLA& v=glance

Otherwise, I will have to get a new 12" box custom-made with enough
airspace. Though I suppose one 12" and a box will be about the same as
two 10".

Which 12" 4 ohm DVC do you recommend? Think I should just get one
Dayton RSS315HO-4 12" ? If so, I could custom-build a box that fits in
the Dodge Ram for about 1.5 cubic feet or so. Sound like the best
solution? Thanks again for all your help.
Posted to rec.audio.car

"jj91709" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 9:36 pm, "Christopher \"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at
ottelectronics dot com wrote:
"jj91709" wrote in message

On Dec 24, 1:21 pm, DJ NoMore

"jj91709" wrote in message
[...]

Again, you're running into trouble with matching impedance to your
amplifier. This RF sub is DVC, but they are 2 ohm each, it is optimized for
a 2 channel amp, running each channel with a 2 ohm load. Your mono amp will
handle a single 2 ohm load. Yes, you could put the two coils in series, but
then you're back to a 4 ohm load which does not use the full capacity of
your amp. Your amp could run two of these subs, (each subs VC's in series,
and the two in parallel) which would be a 2 ohm load, but I think you'll be
unhappy with the results, as I'd expect the subs to sound weak as that's
still only 175W/sub max.

Otherwise, I will have to get a new 12" box custom-made with enough
airspace. Though I suppose one 12" and a box will be about the same as
two 10".

Which 12" 4 ohm DVC do you recommend? Think I should just get one
Dayton RSS315HO-4 12" ? If so, I could custom-build a box that fits in
the Dodge Ram for about 1.5 cubic feet or so. Sound like the best
solution? Thanks again for all your help.

Personally, I think a single 12" would sound good. Something which presents
a 2 ohm load to the amp would be ideal, as you'll get the max power it can
put out. That limits you to a 2 ohm sub, or a DVC 4 ohm sub in parallel if
you want max power from your amp. I would suggest finding a DVC sub you
like, which matches your amp, then having a new box made which compliments
the sub.

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
DJ NoMore DJ NoMore is offline

Christopher "Torroid" Ott wrote:
On Dec 26, 11:59 am, jj91709 wrote:
Also I just noticed ebay has a custom box with 2 10" Kicker
competition subs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...QQcmdZViewItem
Think this is a better option?

Definitely not. Those subwoofers are 8 ohm. Even in parallel your amp will
only be able to put 100W into each of them. I think the best match for your
amp will be a single sub with 4 ohm DVC's wired in parallel.

Chris

Doh, good call on the 8 ohm.... I totally missed that one and assumed
they were 4 ohm automatically.

OTOH, I still think the OP may have better luck finding 10" subs that
find better in the .65 cubic foot range versus a 12", but I could be
wrong...